HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Harassment a Common Part of Online Life
Posted by: iTroll. ()
Date: October 22, 2014 02:45PM

Um, maybe they should check out FFXU. It's a fact of life here.

The Associated Press

NEW YORK

A new study confirms what many Internet users know all too well: Harassment is a common part of online life.

The first-of-its-kind report by the Pew Research Center found that nearly three-quarters of American adults who use the Internet have witnessed online harassment. Forty percent have experienced it themselves.

The types of harassment Pew asked about range from name-calling to physical threats, sexual harassment and stalking. Half of those who were harassed said they didn't know the person who had most recently attacked them.

Young adults -- people 18 to 29 -- were the most likely age group to see and undergo online harassment. Women ages 18 to 24 were disproportionately the victims of stalking and sexual harassment, according to the survey. And people who have more information available about themselves online, work in the tech industry or promote themselves on the Internet, were also more likely to be harassed.

Starting this summer, people involved in an online campaign termed "Gamergate" have been harassing several prominent women in the video game industry and their supporters for criticizing the lack of diversity in games and how women are portrayed. One of the targets is Brianna Wu, a software engineer and founder of game developer Giant Spacekat. Wu, who is in her mid-30s, said she has frequently been harassed online, but it's gotten worse this year.

Earlier this month, people threatened her and her husband with rape, death and castration on Twitter and posted her address online, she said, and they have been trying to impersonate her on the Internet to smear her reputation. She got so frightened that she left her home in Boston.

Wu went to the police, but most people harassed online don't. According to Pew, just 5 percent of those who were harassed reported the incident to law enforcement, while nearly half confronted the person online. Forty-four percent said they unfriended or blocked the person.

But victims of harassment often don't know where it's coming from. Thirty-eight percent of people who were harassed online said a stranger was behind the threats, and another 26 percent didn't know who the person was.

Among other key findings from Pew:

-- Two-thirds of those who were harassed said the most recent incident took place on a social networking site or app, while 22 percent saw it happen in the comments section of a website. Sixteen percent, meanwhile, said it happened in online gaming.

-- Men were more likely to be called offensive names than women. Of all Internet users (89 percent of the U.S. population), 32 percent of men and 22 percent of women were called names. Men were also more likely to be physically threatened.

- Not everyone said they were hurt by online harassment. While 14 percent of people found their most recent incident "extremely upsetting," 22 percent said it was "not at all upsetting." The rest of the people surveyed had reactions in between.

The telephone and online survey was conducted between May 30 and June 30 among 3,217 respondents. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.2 percentage points.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harassment a Common Part of Online Life
Posted by: Uninspired ()
Date: October 22, 2014 03:56PM

I am on my way out the door, but saw this and thought I would reply.

It is a sad state isn't it? With growing income inequality and overpopulation I think this behavior is just indicative of a coming event. Over the long history we eventually evolve into a less violent society. It is the events in between that can be horrific. We are pretty much in the bread and circus part of the cycle. We idolize sports, we take to this type of harassment, but as a rule, it will hit a wall.

The question is, will we understand what is going on before it comes to a revolution or more likely a major economic crash? Do we always have to go through a crisis before we learn from past mistakes? I keep hoping, but it is hard for people when they look around and see what looks like a dismal future and places like Congress, the Business Community, etc. don't seem to want to alleviate the pressure that is right in front of their faces.

From my perspective only, the only chance we have is if people actually take the time to educate themselves on other than their own positions (basically politically) and do a fair analysis of what they think and what others opposite of them think in a thoughtful way. Listen, read, learn, be respectful of others.

My two cents... got to go. Good topic though. Will be interesting to see if anyone really cares?

Posted by: ghekcfi ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:10PM

I harass Libturdz all the time. It's easy. All I have to do is state facts.

Posted by: dung ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:33PM

Some people show their true selves online, sides they try painfully to hide

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 22, 2014 08:07PM

Some people like Anita Sarkeesian thrive on online harassment; being a professional victim is what people like her depend on.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:49PM

It's not real folks chill out so what if someone calls you a name,but if they show up to your house uninvited shoot them.

Posted by: libs hate.....everything ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:55PM

Today is a beautiful day. The sun is shining and a fall breeze is in the air. Tell that to a liberal, because it's the truth and it is a fact, they will call you a racist, bigot and a bully.

Posted by: Sunny ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:11PM

libs hate.....everything Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today is a beautiful day. The sun is shining and a
> fall breeze is in the air. Tell that to a liberal,
> because it's the truth and it is a fact, they will
> call you a racist, bigot and a bully.

And yet your banging away on your computer

Posted by: libs hate healthy people ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:38PM

Sunny Wrote:
> libs hate.....everything Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Today is a beautiful day. The sun is shining and
> a
> > fall breeze is in the air. Tell that to a
> liberal,
> > because it's the truth and it is a fact, they
> will
> > call you a racist, bigot and a bully.
>
>
> And yet your banging away on your computer

I rode 40 miles this morning before starting to work. Which I do mostly from home. I love the natural gas world that I engineer for.

Date: October 23, 2014 02:41PM

I love the natural gas world that I engineer for.

You like smelling your farts?

Date: October 23, 2014 02:41PM

?

Posted by: libs hate fast ships ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:46PM

I also made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 23, 2014 06:20PM

libs hate healthy people Wrote:
> I love the
> natural gas world that I engineer for.

Do you drive a Honda Civic GX? They still have 2012 models sitting on Honda lots, nobody buys them.

If you get a 2012 model, Honda gives you a $2,000 natural gas fuel credit.

Blessed are the murderous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 06:20PM by eesh.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.