HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Plumber wanted to charge my mother in law $800 to replace the thermal expansion tank on her water heater.
Posted by: Gary ()
Date: March 04, 2023 10:51AM

It’s a $40 part and took me 20 minutes. Amazing grift

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plumber wanted to charge my mother in law $800 to replace the thermal expansion tank on her water heater.
Posted by: Not worth it ()
Date: March 05, 2023 04:36AM

700 to 800 bucks is the going rate for a expansion tank changeout. If you put in one of those cheap tanks you buy at Lowes or Home depot it will burst and flood the entire house. If the insurance company finds out that the tank was replaced by someone without a license then they will not pay for the repairs. It wont be long after that the county will condemn the house. Your mother in law will be homeless and move in with you.

Re: Plumber wanted to charge my mother in law $800 to replace the thermal expansion tank on her water heater.
Posted by: Lester the inspector ()
Date: March 05, 2023 05:44AM

Gary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s a $40 part and took me 20 minutes. Amazing
> grift

So, did you have your mother in law pull a permit as a homeowner and have the county mechanical inspectors check your work? The permit fee is 77 dollars by the way. If you did this work without a permit you can be charged with a felony. You have no right to put other peoples safety at risk with your illegal actions.

Posted by: ujh5k75 ()
Date: March 05, 2023 03:44PM

DROP DEAD CHINA

WHY WEREN'T THESE REQUIRED FOR 100 YEARS BEFORE THE DAY CHINA BEGAN SELLING THEM ON AMAZON.COM

DROP DEAD YOU SACK OF SHIT

i didn't install one: and it's working terribly WELL

Posted by: plumber 86 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 10:36AM

ujh5k75 Wrote:
>

> DROP DEAD CHINA
>
> WHY WEREN'T THESE REQUIRED FOR 100 YEARS BEFORE
> THE DAY CHINA BEGAN SELLING THEM ON AMAZON.COM
>
> DROP DEAD YOU SACK OF SHIT
>

>
> i didn't install one: and it's working terribly
> WELL

Expansion tanks are required on newer homes because backflow preventers are now required on the water inlet to the house. Water heaters cause the water to expand and build pressure so the expansion tank gives a cusion so the safety valve does not release the pressure on the floor. The backflow preventers protect our health and really should be required on all homes.

Posted by: 3rgh3e45h54 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:13AM

plumber 86 Wrote:
> ujh5k75 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >

> > DROP DEAD CHINA
> >
> > WHY WEREN'T THESE REQUIRED FOR 100 YEARS BEFORE
> > THE DAY CHINA BEGAN SELLING THEM ON AMAZON.COM
> >
> > DROP DEAD YOU SACK OF SHIT
> >

> >
> > i didn't install one: and it's working
> terribly
> > WELL
>
> Expansion tanks are required on newer homes
> because backflow preventers are now required on
> the water inlet to the house. Water heaters cause
> the water to expand and build pressure so the
> expansion tank gives a cusion so the safety valve
> does not release the pressure on the floor. The
> backflow preventers protect our health and really
> should be required on all homes.

AS I SAID. DROP DEAD YOU UK/CHINA/GERMAN SACK OF SHIT.

YOUR LYING

Posted by: 34Y345H ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:26AM

good homes have an vertical expansion tube made of copper. old trick. reduced pipe noise: but reqruires frequently draining the system since the fills with water

THE PIPES ARE PVC NOT COPPER, which have more expansion value than water does (water is incompressible)

while water has an expansion rate: SO DO PIPES (pipes expand when heated also)

I KNOW MEXICANS AND POULTY HOMES

they didn't install expansion valves - the value you see is a pressure regulator (which btw works if you want reduced pressure). your home doesn't have a backflow valve and if it DID, your pressure is probably sitting at 40psi nowhere near 75psi

also - backflow valves ARE NOT NEW - they've been used in various installation since the 1950's

G2 is a chinese spammer threatening people to buy his product

Posted by: 34g35h ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:30AM

I was threatened if my cell phone batter (china again) was bloated - and if i tried to fix it, my phone might catch my home on fire.

TURNS OUT THE CHINESE WERE LYING ...

#1 it was bloated because the chinese intently left no air gap - it was DESIGNED TO FAIL and to put stress on the glass screen - causing the cell phone glass to easily crack

#2 i gently punctured the inflatable battery's special "hydrogen keeping" rubber (note you have to pay money just to create such a beast: the chinese did this super on purpose)

#3 the gas leaked out and the battery continued to operate without issue. all the YOUTUBE on a fire or explosion were all chinese threats - all lies

(btw - homes typically have a little air trapped in the system - this is because a complete drain and refill doesn't really get rid of all air in the system unless you use a special vacuum attatchment - which might break and get air in it when you use faucets anyhow)

Posted by: 3gt3h5 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:31AM

PVC pipes expand at a rate 4 to 5x that of copper pipes

Posted by: gty45h45 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:41AM

maxresdefault.jpg

Your Ryan and Poulte homes DIDN'T install a backflow valve: they installed a water pressure regulator only because their ass would be grass if they didn't. And they used PVC not copper.

Posted by: g43eh54 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:45AM

how do thermal expansion tanks prevent themselves from becoming full of water just like vertical tubes do - THERE IS NO SIGHT GLASS

THEY DON'T. THEY'RE A FUCKING CHINESE SCAM.

how do thermal expansion tanks meet PLUMBING CODE ON ANTI-BACTERIA AND ANTI-RUST - why pipes are made of copper (anti-bacteria) and PVC (not anti-bacteria - but not rusting)

(which isn't, and actually needs to replaced after a while due to that - why home builders got away with using pvc is just another story of theft - since you'd have to wreck the home to get to the pipes to replace the pvc pipes)

CHINESE EXPANSION TANKS RUST - RUST HARBORS DANGEROUS BACTERIA

Posted by: g4h54 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:47AM

maxresdefault.jpg

THERE'S NO REGULATION ON HOW THESE EXPANSION TANKS WORK OR ARE BUILT

which is just another red thumb indication they are a complete scam

Posted by: tg4ehb4 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:48AM

In dormant systems, expansion tanks can become a breeding ground for dangerous & sometimes deadly bacteria. When a building closes without the water system drained beforehand and the water heater left on, the tank will hold constant expanded water that may provide a basis for bacteria growth.

Posted by: g3hg3 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:49AM

Expansion Vessel Flushing and Legionella Risks - uRisk
uRisk Water Hygiene
https://www.urisk.co.uk expansion-vessel-flushing-a...
expansion tank bacteria from www.urisk.co.uk
As with any water system, asset or component, if the conditions are suitable for Legionella growth, then bacteria may multiple. An Expansion vessel often .

Posted by: 3g3h53 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:51AM

I fucking wish my hot water heater increased the pipe pressure.

My hose could reach the upper windows for cleaning the. My G**Damn ryan pulte home has 40psi the hose won't even spurt up to the gutters the PSI is so low

Posted by: 3h435hj4 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:58AM

how could a product made only in china be required by USA which has NO REGULATION upon how they are made?

during obama obviously

Posted by: g4h45 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 12:00PM

Leviton USA makes 15Amn bathroom wall sockets - but not a 20A model.

piece of crap municipalities like Fairfax County require 20A. Why? look into it: you'll find ONLY CHINA MAKES A 20A bathroom socket which is "required"

the Leviton is better quality and can handle more amps at the end of the day

it's all bribery and scams

Posted by: 3hg3h5j4 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 12:02PM

white-leviton-electrical-outlets-recepta

meanwhile - mexicans continuall replace things in USA that aren't broken - usually government jobs - but also in car dealerships

they buy toyota not ford

it's not a coincidence they "threaten people not to buy american products and that what they are doing is required"

Posted by: 3hg3h3 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 12:07PM

white-leviton-electrical-outlets-recepta Made in USA

ccc59723-6d47-4685-9f0e-91a74cb18e4a.320 Made in China

the brand is meaningless - they change the name every few years - insuring you can't sue them when you find out the product "just isn't right" though you were legally threatened to buy it

Posted by: 3g3h53 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 12:08PM

Gary Wrote:
> It’s a $40 part and took me 20 minutes. Amazing
> grift

your a low life chinese spammer trying to convince people they need a product they don't need

Posted by: 3g3h34 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 12:53PM

s-l1600.jpg $4 ebay

LET ME SAY THIS TO THE (COUNTY)

"all new installations or replacements must have an expansion tank"

All home have water pressure regulators. Mine is ~ 40psi because it has PVC pipes - like all mexican built crap homes that got signed off on but have many code problems, do.

LET'S SAY I ATTACH A WATER PRESSURE GUAGE NEAR MY HW HEATER, AND IF THAT GUAGE DOESN'T GO OVER 50PSI, I put a bullet in your head

for making threats of harm, legal threats, and accusations in my direction using the code of law?

Posted by: 3gh5534 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 12:59PM

51UwvoVDP4L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

which reminds me of these - guages that accrue maximum so need a reset switch

certainly if pressure was "such a problem" these chinese expansion tanks tanks would come with a $5 guage to show if they need replacement

Posted by: Software developer ()
Date: March 12, 2023 04:55PM

For a job like that 800 is a little high but not crazy high.

Posted by: Hairy Homeowner ()
Date: March 13, 2023 04:28AM

My expansion tank goes bad every 5 years or so. I can tell because the water heater safety valve starts dripping. The tanks are easy to replace.

Posted by: fh furr ()
Date: March 26, 2023 03:53PM

800 is reasonable.

Posted by: 3t5h54 ()
Date: March 28, 2023 11:49AM

Hairy Homeowner Wrote:
> My expansion tank goes bad every 5 years or so. I
> can tell because the water heater safety valve
> starts dripping.

i could have told you that when i heard "made in china"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.