HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
HD Radio
Posted by: RadioCurious ()
Date: March 21, 2009 08:11PM

Anybody used high definition radio? Is the service even available in this area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HD Radio
Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: March 21, 2009 10:26PM

It's NOT Hi definition radio. It's actually Hi-Density radio because it had a slightly larger bandwidth.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: March 22, 2009 11:15AM

To get info on HD radio, try hdradio.com.

Basically, it's digital radio vs. the current analog signal. It's similar to the analog vs. digital TV signals, just without the gov't mandate to switch everything to digital.

The site above also has a link to find stations in this area.

Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:08AM

I bought a $250 HD receiver. It works okay. I was very disappointed, however, in that the stations are NOT ad free, as promised. I haven't heard very much advertising about HD radio--it's like it's not very popular with consumers. I have XM radio and it works extremely well though my hi-fi system. HD was a disappointment.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 23, 2009 09:30AM

I'll perhaps tune into HD radio when it is included as standard equipment on everyday receivers. It sounds like a complete ripoff when compared to satellite radio. You are just getting the same stuff you'd get over regular airwaves and buying new equipment to do it. For that $250 one can get a Sirius/XM radio and a year of service, with tons more programming.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.