HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia Is On Its Way To Banning Balloon Releases
Posted by: Tyrone Turner ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:28PM

Intentional balloon releases could soon be banned in Virginia, now that state lawmakers have approved a new law that would fine people $25 dollars per balloon. The bill will go to Gov. Ralph Northam’s desk next.

The penalty would apply to people aged 16 or older and would cover the release of any nonbiodegradable balloons. Current law in Virginia already prohibits the release of 50 or more balloons per hour.

The new Virginia legislation is the latest in a regional push to stop balloon releases, a move backed by conservationists, environmentalists, and shoreline residents who want to see a reduction in litter. Scientists say balloons pose a particular threat to wildlife on East Coast beaches; they can get caught in sea turtles’ throats and their strings can get wrapped around turtles’ flippers and necks.

The practice is already banned in Montgomery County where it comes with a $750 dollar fine. Last year, Maryland’s state legislature also approved legislation that would fine people $250 dollars for intentional balloon releases.

It remains unclear how these law will be enforced or whether they will stop the practice of releasing balloons, which many people do at both vigils and celebrations.

During the Virginia Senate’s debate over the bill, Sen. Bill Stanley (R-Franklin) wondered aloud if police would be “hiding around the bouncy house” to spy on suspecting balloon-releasers.

Sen. Jen Kiggans (R-Virginia Beach) responded that police would not be doing this — and the effect of the bill would be to raise awareness about the issue of releasing balloons outdoors, which she sees as a form of littering.

Maryland State Senator Clarence Lam, who sponsored Maryland’s version of the balloon release ban, also acknowledged last year that enforcement would be difficult. But he said there was still value to these laws, which are similar to anti-littering laws.

“It is against the law to just toss your trash out the window,” Lam told WAMU. “Some people still do it. They could potentially get caught, often times they don’t, but at least there’s that deterrent there to make sure people think twice.”

The Balloon Council, a national balloon trade group, told WAMU last year that while it supports efforts to stop people from doing balloon releases, it does not support outright bans.

“It’s a slippery slope from a release ban to banning the product altogether,” Lorna O’Hara, the council’s executive director, said at the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia Is On Its Way To Banning Balloon Releases
Posted by: Liberals Fuck up everything. ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:31PM

Leave it to liberals to fuck up a wet dream.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: February 22, 2021 10:28PM

I'm sure I'm going to care whether letting go of a fucking balloon is legal or illegal when I let go of a balloon.

Posted by: loose grips sink ships ()
Date: February 22, 2021 10:31PM

who cares Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure I'm going to care whether letting go of a
> fucking balloon is legal or illegal when I let go
> of a balloon.

That will cost you $25. If you don't pay the fine you will go to jail.

Posted by: You voted for democrats ()
Date: February 22, 2021 10:32PM

who cares Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure I'm going to care whether letting go of a
> fucking balloon is legal or illegal when I let go
> of a balloon.

Now you get Democrat rules.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: February 23, 2021 12:06AM

I can't believe libtard politician's are wasting tax dollars on stupid shit like this. $25 is hardly a deterrent and as far as I know there are no Balloon police out catching these scoundrel's anyway.

Posted by: Libtardz! Lolz! ()
Date: February 23, 2021 12:09AM

As usual, Demshits tackling the major issues of the day.

Libtardz!
Lolz!

Posted by: make the children happy ()
Date: February 23, 2021 12:36AM

it's time to legalize marihuana

Posted by: its time to illegalize idiots ()
Date: February 23, 2021 12:56AM

no mo idjits!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.