HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Are there any career fields I can enter that are relatively safe from automation/ageism?
Posted by: Trying to job ()
Date: December 10, 2019 04:49PM

Trying to find a new skill set to take on a career change. I’m currently in IT doing mostly nontechnical customer support and although IT interests me, I hear too many stories of software developers and other people in this field getting the boot because they are “old”. I’m 33 and I don’t feel like putting in the work only to be sent to the unemployment line because of my age.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are there any career fields I can enter that are relatively safe from automation/ageism?
Posted by: IT is not worth it ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:29PM

The IT field is a scary place.

I have a friend that just turned 40. He worked in IT for almost 11 years(making close to 90K), was laid off, and hasn't been able to find work in the field since -- Almost 2 years later. He's currently working as an assistant manager at a retail chain (now making 45K).

Re: Are there any career fields I can enter that are relatively safe from automation/ageism?
Posted by: Move Up the Value Chain ()
Date: December 10, 2019 05:49PM

IT is a throw away commodity. Data, Voice, Video dial tone is a saturated, mature, cut throat industry dominated by service providers.

Become a Certified Solar Engineer (Residential, Commerical, Government). Demand far exceeds supply. Can't find any who aren't swamped, especially in rural areas. New and emerging tech sector that is booming and getting beyond the hype curve into mainstream everything.

Combine your IT with the Solar (which requires programming/configuration, have IP addresses, network connectivity, command modules, blue tooth, cellular, wifi, security, etc.) and requires routine preventive maintenance and trouble shooting, parts, repairs, etc. Useful shelf life of 30-40 years, early adopters are already antiquated and prices are going way down.

Solar powers the World and the Galaxy and most of that energy is wasted and unharnessed. Fossil fuels are a dead end finite resource.

Posted by: Old Buck ()
Date: December 10, 2019 06:02PM

Undertaker, plumber or HVAC tech.

Posted by: gated recurrent unit ()
Date: December 10, 2019 06:31PM

Be the one who advances ending careers of others. If you're a decent programmer ML/AI may not be a bad field to get into. If you're half decent you can make easily make north of $250k in a few years.

Posted by: Gerry/GGP ()
Date: December 10, 2019 06:38PM

Trying to job Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying to find a new skill set to take on a career
> change. I’m currently in IT doing mostly
> nontechnical customer support and although IT
> interests me, I hear too many stories of software
> developers and other people in this field getting
> the boot because they are “old”. I’m 33 and
> I don’t feel like putting in the work only to be
> sent to the unemployment line because of my age.

I suck cock at the 66 rest area for meth money and live off my mom for the rest. It works out well because I can post on here about Trump and Goatfuckerer2 24/7.
Attachments:
736F8A32-D5CF-45F2-ADCA-7E27EFCDCED3.jpeg

Date: December 10, 2019 06:43PM

I work as a webcam model. I make videos with my goat (Sherpa).

We hope to one day be able to make enough of a profit that we can get out of my mother's basement.

Posted by: Digger ()
Date: December 10, 2019 06:58PM

Move Up the Value Chain Wrote:
> IT is a throw away commodity. Data, Voice, Video
> dial tone is a saturated, mature, cut throat
> industry dominated by service providers.
>
> Become a Certified Solar Engineer (Residential,
> Commerical, Government). Demand far exceeds
> supply. Can't find any who aren't swamped,
> especially in rural areas. New and emerging tech
> sector that is booming and getting beyond the hype
> curve into mainstream everything.
>
> Combine your IT with the Solar (which requires
> programming/configuration, have IP addresses,
> network connectivity, command modules, blue tooth,
> cellular, wifi, security, etc.) and requires
> routine preventive maintenance and trouble
> shooting, parts, repairs, etc. Useful shelf life
> of 30-40 years, early adopters are already
> antiquated and prices are going way down.
>
> Solar powers the World and the Galaxy and most of
> that energy is wasted and unharnessed. Fossil
> fuels are a dead end finite resource.

Solar is good, but geothermal is better. I think there is one certified geothermal repair person in Fredericksburg. ONE. That is job security right there.

Posted by: Relevant career ()
Date: December 10, 2019 07:26PM

I'm going to law school because as long as this country remains intact I will have plenty of work. If the dollar disappears my student loans become a very moot point anyways so IDGAF. Medicine has slightly better job security but only if there's a civil war which is increasingly likely however battlefield surgery just seems a little messy for my taste

Posted by: reader of the FFU ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:12PM

Like medicine, IT is quite diverse.

You need to get into more lucrative fields, like ERP implementations and that kinda thing. I know a few guys that make about 200K doing things like that. That's better money than gerry makes being on his knees all night.

Posted by: Banana Up Gerry’s Ass ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:28PM

reader of the FFU Wrote:
> Like medicine, IT is quite diverse.
>
> You need to get into more lucrative fields, like
> ERP implementations and that kinda thing. I know
> a few guys that make about 200K doing things like
> that. That's better money than gerry makes being
> on his knees all night.

I hope so, just look at the faggot. He is lucky to make $5 being on his knees all night at the 66 rest area.
Attachments:
760CDA21-B4CA-4D36-8237-E0C9502D68D1.jpeg

Posted by: gvn93 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:31PM

Banana Up Gerry’s Ass Wrote:
> reader of the FFU Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Like medicine, IT is quite diverse.
> >
> > You need to get into more lucrative fields,
> like
> > ERP implementations and that kinda thing. I
> know
> > a few guys that make about 200K doing things
> like
> > that. That's better money than gerry makes
> being
> > on his knees all night.
>
> I hope so, just look at the faggot. He is lucky
> to make $5 being on his knees all night at the 66
> rest area.

How has no one taken a length of 2X4 and smashed this things head.

Posted by: Learner of the FFU ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:45PM

reader of the FFU Wrote:
> Like medicine, IT is quite diverse.
>
> You need to get into more lucrative fields, like
> ERP implementations and that kinda thing. I know
> a few guys that make about 200K doing things like
> that. That's better money than gerry makes being
> on his knees all night.

What kind of education do you need for ERP Implementations? I myself thought about getting in to "business information systems" but no one can seem to tell me exactly what that is.

Posted by: FFXU Talent Acquisition ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:53PM

The whole "too old for STEM" thing is blown way out of proportion. It was bad maybe 10 years ago, even 5, but it isn't quite like that anymore. Especially since Trump has clamped down on all the H1B Dot Heads flooding the IT market. Most of them have gotten the message and stay in India forming their own shitty IT companies.

I work for an IT firm you absolutely have heard of, and we have plenty of software engineers, data analysts, system analysts, Cyber Sec. people and the like that are well over 30+. Our chief engineer is nicknamed "methuselah" because he's pushing 70. It's about what you know, what you bring to the table and what you can learn along the way. An old dog that can learn new tricks in most cases is far more valuable than a new dog learning old tricks. This isn't a field you can just sit on your ass and collect a check, you have to work, innovate and solve any problems the customer has.

Furthermore, the is a MASSIVE shortage of workers in virtually every field coming up very soon. Some argue it's already here. IT and medicine are being especially hit. Even if the liberals want to flood our country with a million foreigners in an effort to stem the tide, it still won't be enough. Note that automation also hasn't become the job killer it's been made to be. It may never replace a lot of the jobs it supposedly is going to. If you are interested in software engineering, cyber security, whatever, do it. If you are good at something, you are going to make money regardless. If you chase any field with just $$ in mind, you are going to be miserable quick.

Posted by: Banana Up Gerry’s Ass ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:54PM

gvn93 Wrote:
> Banana Up Gerry’s Ass Wrote:
> -----
> > reader of the FFU Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Like medicine, IT is quite diverse.
> > >
> > > You need to get into more lucrative fields,
> > like
> > > ERP implementations and that kinda thing. I
> > know
> > > a few guys that make about 200K doing things
> > like
> > > that. That's better money than gerry makes
> > being
> > > on his knees all night.
> >
> > I hope so, just look at the faggot. He is
> lucky
> > to make $5 being on his knees all night at the
> 66
> > rest area.
>
>
> How has no one taken a length of 2X4 and smashed
> this things head.

From reading his insane and illiterate shitposts it seems to have already happened several times.
Attachments:
0D933AEC-F6AB-4E22-84D9-79FD2D8BD4DC.jpeg

Posted by: FFXU Talent Acquisition ()
Date: December 10, 2019 08:58PM

I should also add that if you have or can get a clearance, that is your insurance policy against unemployment. So long as you aren't dumb like Sharon Moreno posting stupid shit and breaking the law, it can be an effective hedge against being a bum.

Posted by: work for the government ()
Date: December 10, 2019 09:04PM

or run a forum like FFU

Posted by: government run ()
Date: December 11, 2019 12:44AM

work for the government Wrote:
> or run a forum like FFU

Same difference. Who do you think runs and pays for this forum?

Posted by: CatinBox ()
Date: January 23, 2020 11:51AM

I can say that it sounds pretty interesting. I often look at webcam models. It helps me relax. If you're interested, then usually I watch something from this category https://f?recams.com/category/age-41-more . But I also sometimes watch others by type of category with p*rn stars. Try it if you are interested

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 11:52AM by CatinBox.

Posted by: Yes ()
Date: January 23, 2020 08:55PM

Dentistry

Posted by: Spokescow ()
Date: January 23, 2020 09:16PM

Everyone loves a good mascot and they are always in demand. Willard Scott made millions as Ronald McDonald. With masks and makeup you can literally work as long as you can stand up or wheel yourself around.
Attachments:
chickfi.jpg
0113snowbizpizza_t607.jpg
IMG_2999.JPG
tax.gif

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.