HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Zoloft
Posted by: 2SJ ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:05PM

My brother was recently just prescribed 50mg of Zoloft for anxiety and hasn't started taking it. He's thinking of starting it this Sat. or Sun. His question to me, which we both researched on the web, was should I take it in the morning or at night? Various sites repeated exactly what the doctor said which is "whatever you prefer, either way will work fine."

Has anyone here had any experience with this drug (or similar) who can provide testimonials of what time of day works best for them?

One thing to consider is that he's a daily wine drinker (meaning: 2-3 glasses per day with dinner) and the literature said it wasn't recommended. Other places I've seen said it's ok, but said nothing about the frequency.

Anyone have any personal experience with this drug (or similar) and alcohol interaction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zoloft
Posted by: The Truth ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:12PM

2SJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My brother was recently just prescribed 50mg of
> Zoloft for anxiety and hasn't started taking it.
> He's thinking of starting it this Sat. or Sun.
> His question to me, which we both researched on
> the web, was should I take it in the morning or at
> night? Various sites repeated exactly what the
> doctor said which is "whatever you prefer, either
> way will work fine."
>
> Has anyone here had any experience with this drug
> (or similar) who can provide testimonials of what
> time of day works best for them?
>
> One thing to consider is that he's a daily wine
> drinker (meaning: 2-3 glasses per day with dinner)
> and the literature said it wasn't recommended.
> Other places I've seen said it's ok, but said
> nothing about the frequency.
>
> Anyone have any personal experience with this drug
> (or similar) and alcohol interaction?

Well, I got drunk while taking Zoloft and ended up hallucinating and talking to myself until five in the morning. It's not recommended for a reason.

Posted by: M.D. ()
Date: February 12, 2009 07:40PM

it has a long half life and doesnt come on suddenly so you can take it whenever you want, day or night

regarding the alcohol, you can mix them. because alcohol is a depressant and zoloft is an antidepressant it just evens you out

Posted by: MajorDumbass ()
Date: February 12, 2009 07:54PM

M.D. Wrote:
> it has a long half life and doesnt come on
> suddenly so you can take it whenever you want, day
> or night
>
> regarding the alcohol, you can mix them. because
> alcohol is a depressant and zoloft is an
> antidepressant it just evens you out

Does the M.D. stand for major dumbass? You can take it at night or day, it just has to be at the same time every day. As far as mixing it with alcohol, ask any doctor, they will strongly warn against drinking while being prescribed it for obvious reasons.

Posted by: Zoloft Blob ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:16AM

Attachments:
zoloft.jpg

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:53AM

depressant + antidepressant does not = "evened out".

Has your friend considered quitting drinking for a while, and then trying the zoloft if he's still down too often?

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: February 13, 2009 02:52AM

\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 02:35AM by Alias.

Posted by: 2SJs ()
Date: February 13, 2009 10:04AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> depressant + antidepressant does not = "evened
> out".
>
> Has your friend considered quitting drinking for a
> while, and then trying the zoloft if he's still
> down too often?

No, he's an oenophile and it's good enough that he at least quit smoking a couple years back. He's not really down at all, he just worries about things out of his control. The economy is an example. He's got a great career and wife, just worried that the house of cards will fall one day (which in reality, we all know it will eventually, but most of us just don't sweat it).

Date: February 13, 2009 10:11AM

oenophile..what a polite and cultured way of saying "alcoholic" (well, "wino" would be a better term).

I don't agree that it is "good enough" to have just quit smoking. Good for him, but the drinking should come next if he really wants to honestly be helped. And after that, the next bad habit. His doctors sound pretty lazy because all of this is common-sense stuff they should have insisted he do.

Date: February 13, 2009 10:14AM

And I am not saying three glasses of wine a day is a big deal, generally, but if you have some kind of disorder, the best thing to do first (besides go to and listen to a good doctor) is simplify and eliminate, get back to the health basics, and if the problem still exists once he is there, then he should medicate and get tested extensively.

Date: February 13, 2009 11:15AM

I hear you on that. I guess I don't fully comprehend the two substances and their effects when combined. His initial thought was, "why don't I take the med in the a.m. and then I can enjoy wine with dinner in the p.m." I understand that the half-life is extensive (>12 hrs) and peak toxicity is between 4-6 hours, so it could be excreted -50% through the urine well before the evening, right?

This might not be the best example, but what do they do in Italy or France where wine is abundant and is enjoyed daily as if it were just expensive grape juice?

Date: February 13, 2009 11:46AM

The same thing? Health is health no matter what country you are in.

Listen, this is not a valid discussion. None of us are doctors. Your friend should have already had a deep discussion with his doctor about this matter.

And if he has kids, he's a shitty parent for putting his "hobby" above his health. For their sake, he should approach this as carefully and honestly as possible - and that means stopping the "what if" bullshit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 12:21PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: February 13, 2009 11:59AM

Also with antidepressants, they can stay in your system for up to two weeks after you stop taking them after starting a regular course. Alcohol is probably exacerbating the problems that got him on antidepessants to begin with.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: February 13, 2009 12:34PM

What about taking them with bud?

Date: February 13, 2009 12:45PM

Why would anyone with a steady supply of herb bother with SRI's?

Date: February 13, 2009 12:46PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> The same thing? Health is health no matter what
> country you are in.
>
> Listen, this is not a valid discussion. None of
> us are doctors. Your friend should have already
> had a deep discussion with his doctor about this
> matter.
>
> And if he has kids, he's a shitty parent for
> putting his "hobby" above his health. For their
> sake, he should approach this as carefully and
> honestly as possible - and that means stopping the
> "what if" bullshit.

He has no kids and he's a 41 year old securities lawyer. I'm sure his profession has much to do with his anxiety. You're right, he does need to prioritize.

Date: February 13, 2009 01:13PM

Sorry, thought I saw he has kids... and now you say he's a lawyer? Securities?

I am changing my opinion to "drink up"

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:13PM

2SJ Wrote:
> My brother was recently just prescribed 50mg of
> Zoloft for anxiety and hasn't started taking i> He's thinking of starting it this Sat. or Sun.

I'm not a doctor, so that's one reason to disregard my post. But I'd seriously think about *not* taking it at all. I've known a couple of people on zoloft and other ssri's, and they all got worse after they began the meds. While that's not scientific, the FDA black-box warnings should give everyone pause. Imagine an anti-cancer drug with the FDA's most stern warning: " This drug may cause your cancer to get significantly worse and kill you within days."

Google ssri fda "black box"

http://www.fda.gov/CDER/Drug/antidepressants/default.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 07:42PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 13, 2009 11:07PM

if "your friend" is drinking regularly, "your friend" should NOT take psychiatric medication at the same time.

however, zoloft has been known to turn people into "zombies" hence the nickname zombieloft.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Zoloft+zombie

i recommend trying other medications instead of zoloft. if "your friend" isnt seeing a psychiatrist, then have "your friend" go and see one. if the the doctor isnt a psychiatrist, they arent qualified to give your psychiatric medications.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: dono ()
Date: February 14, 2009 04:29PM

Tell your bro to ask his Dr. about 'SAMe' It provides the methyl groups for the synthesis of Dopamine and Serotonin Its natural and cheaper and it truly works. No withdraw if you quite either. Best place to purchase is Costco http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043335&search=sam&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search〈=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=sam&Ntt=sam&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1. You must keep them in an inert gas (as packaged by the Brand Costco sells) as even with the enteric coating, the methyl group is very unstable in the presence of Oxygen. You must take it on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning) with water and wait 30 min. before you eat (otherwise it will just react with stomach contents rendering it unavailable as a substrate for neurotransmitters).

Zoloft may increase the effects of ETOH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 05:17PM by dono.

Posted by: Mary ()
Date: February 19, 2009 05:12PM

What about Cymbalta?

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: February 20, 2009 03:17AM

\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 02:49AM by Alias.

Posted by: answers ()
Date: February 01, 2011 05:16PM

none should take zoloft or any medication indicated to mental illness-depression,adhd, bipolar etc.

there is no test out that can tell you, a person has a chemical imbalance. drug companies have contracts with many DR.'s as well as psychologist to get their product out there and make BILLIONS! all these medications are addictive and instead of helping you make your symptoms of depression worst. Affect your health. and lead you to death. Suicide is the #1 cause of death do to these drugs. Do the research!!!!!!!! please!!! if we all went to a psych. and got an evaluation everyone would be diagnosed with ADHD or bipolar and put on medication. It's all a scam and we need to stop medicating for something that is completely normal.

do all the research you can, search suicides caused by antidepresants and you will see all the children committing suicide shortly after being diagnosed with a mental disorder and put on these medications!

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: May 19, 2020 05:33PM

Don't take it - if you have more serotonin as a result of blocking the mechanism of blocking reuptake - hmm, your messing with natural processes for serotonin balance, it is better to improve healthy life style to target your issue.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.