HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New to Virginia, Speeding Advice wanted
Posted by: Enuratique ()
Date: May 17, 2006 09:37AM

At the end of the month, I will be moving to Charlottesville, VA from Atlanta, GA... I've known about this site for a while now thanks to shameless plugging on Fark.com.

I've heard notorious things about VA cops/state patrol. I'm used to always going 20 over the posted speed limit. When I was up in C'Ville for my interview I couldn't help but notice the cop cut-throughs EVERY mile. I also know radar detectors are illegal in VA.

What roads around C'Ville should I not speed on? What do the cops usually do about finding a radar detector? Like, can they confiscate it and give me a citation even if it's not hooked up, sitting in my glove box? What's the rule of thumb about going over the speed limit? A friend of mine said to never go 5 over if you want to be safe.

I'm posting in Off Topic because there was no Charlottesville Town forum and this doesn't really qualify as Fairfax County advice.

THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Virginia, Speeding Advice wanted
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:13AM

It's a farce... I love shooting down through the 28/29 intersection in 28. Radar detectors aren't really a problem. I just leave mine on my dash and the cops pull me over, laugh, and say "just making sure you aren't a REAL criminal or anything... have a nice day!!"

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: May 17, 2006 12:11PM

go ahead and speed all you want. Smoke a joint too, myabe crack a beer. Its all good.
What a maroon.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 17, 2006 01:19PM

radar detector thread

at 20 over you are likely to get a ticket. if you are breaking 15 over you are likely to get pulled over. i wouldnt exceed 10 over if i were you. the time you are most likely to get a ticket is at night. i have gotten a handfull of tickets which were all at night. instead of catching criminals which activities are almost always at night, they hang out in their cars and sit back and watch their radar gun numbers. my license even got suspended for a few months so now ive been driving the limit, always. i use the cruise control feature, it's really good to use. oh, and if you think you can fight a ticket in court, you would be wrong as the judges dont even listen to you and believe everything a cop says and the cops lie in court if only to convict you. the only possible way to fight a ticket is to higher a pricey lawyer which is bullshit because you end up paying way more than the ticket. oh yeah, it also costs money if you want to fight the ticket (instead of paying it without trial) which is usually more than the ticket itself. it's a fine system designed to screw you and bleed money out of you.

i personally fought a ticket and the first time the cop didnt show so they reschedualed after i drove there and waited an hour. finally on the later court date (in june from a november ticket, yeah, really timely) i proved mathematically it was impossible for me to be going the speed they claimed (i think the trigonometry went over his head) as well as explained from a manual of the police radar what could have gone wrong as far as the cop using it incorrectly. the judge also asked (after i proved i wasnt speeding) if the radar was in the holder (which it should be to avoid error) and the cop said no. seconds later he ruled me guilty completely ignoring all facts and mistakes made by the cop. they dont give a shit about you, they just want your money... and they always get it.

enjoy your stay.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Fuck The Police ()
Date: May 17, 2006 02:12PM

Dude, you got nothing to worry about. The police in the Charlottesville area are pansies. You say you usually drive 20 over the limit, you should be fine. Drive faster if you want. Leave the radar detector hooked up too. If you do get pulled over, just act like a tough guy and the cops back right down and direct you to the nearest fast food joint. This one time, I pulled my handgun on them and the cop literally pissed his pants in front of me! That was the best. Then I just went on my merry way on down rt 29. Bring some of that ATL attitude up north and you'll be the King of Charlottesville!

Posted by: Hemsk ()
Date: May 17, 2006 09:34PM

Seven is your magic number to remember. Seven miles per hour over the speed limit will get you ignored, since Gravis alluded to the fact that they are really looking for speeders going 10+ mph. If you do get ticketed, have your car calibrated and take the results to court. If it's not accurate, you can cite faulty equipment and get your case dropped. If you were ticketed for more than 7 mph, it's hard to use the speedometer defense. If that doesn't work, try the chewbacca defense. Works every time!

Also, when the cops are right behind you, keep changing lanes to signal to them that you want them to pass you. They won't think it's suspicious at all.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 18, 2006 08:46AM

Posted by: kit.car ()
Date: May 18, 2006 03:17PM

On my last trip down to the NGIC outside of Charlottesville, I saw no less than 7 radar traps. Every freak'n Boss-Hogg sheriff was out collecting the tolls.

Good Luck to you.

The only plus you got to that area is all the pretty lady's walking through the Walmart.

Posted by: p2dak18 ()
Date: May 21, 2006 12:27AM

where are some places to meet at for racing cars?

Posted by: howbout ()
Date: May 21, 2006 12:39AM

p2dak18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> where are some places to meet at for racing cars?

try making a thread in the gen forum, nobody will see it here

Posted by: Joel ()
Date: May 24, 2006 12:29AM

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/Virginia-speeding-ticket.html

scroll all the way down.

"I-95 North between Ashland (exit 92) and Fredericksburg in Caroline County between exits 110-118. The HP ALWAYS sit there in the median as you are coming around a slight corner slightly downhill. DO NOT drive in the far left lane or you're doomed.

'Laws are supposed to be enforced because they’re laws,' said John Rowe, a former Emporia city manager. 'That’s not what I found there. In Emporia, it was all about revenues, and keeping the money coming in.' Hwy 58 and 301 near I95"

that's where i got pulled over. 83 in a 65, got reckless driving, had to get a lawyer, and the shitty thing was that when i got pulled i was keeping up with traffic. keep your speed down there for the love of God.

Posted by: FACK UU ()
Date: July 11, 2010 08:46PM

don't speed you facker.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 11, 2010 11:27PM

Hemsk Wrote:
> Seven is your magic number to remember. Seven
> miles per hour over the speed limit will get you
> ignored, since Gravis alluded to the fact that
> they are really looking for speeders going 10+
> mph. If you do get ticketed, have your car
> calibrated and take the results to court. If it's
> not accurate, you can cite faulty equipment and
> get your case dropped. If you were ticketed for
> more than 7 mph, it's hard to use the speedometer
> defense. If that doesn't work, try the chewbacca
> defense. Works every time!
>
> Also, when the cops are right behind you, keep
> changing lanes to signal to them that you want
> them to pass you. They won't think it's
> suspicious at all.

The 10 over general rule only applied before the current recession, and it only applies on highways. Around town, five over is the leeway, and when you see the orange hazards flashing in a school zone, you better be at the limit, or under.

BTW, 20 over (Which places you above 80 MPH) on many of the VA highways is automatically reckless driving (Which is a Misdemeanor crime, not a simple traffic offense). For everywhere else, 21+ over = reckless driving.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 11:30PM by ThePackLeader.

Date: July 12, 2010 01:09PM

don't speed on 29, right when you under the parkway.. the po po is always there

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: July 12, 2010 02:30PM

Madison County is the worst - just north of C-ville/Albemarle Co. As others have said keep it <10mph and you should be gtg. It usually isn't worth the cops' time to deal with the paperwork for speeding <10, they'll wait for bigger fish.

Another tactic I do, is let some guy who's going fast in front of me let him get ~1/4 to 1/3 mile in front, then hold his speed. If you see him put his brakes on match him. I haven't had a ticket in over 15 years keeping it below 10 or by letting someone else take the bait.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 03:06PM

Usually the cops give no more than 10 over. Doing 20 over is a big risk as that can be reckless. Reckless is the same penalty and points as a DUI, that is how bad it is.

Posted by: 79mph ()
Date: July 14, 2010 05:21PM

79 mph is the safest speed, unless you have a honda accord, in which case your a fucking idiot, or a hybrid, in which case you MUST MUST MUST travel at the posted limit in the fast lane

Date: July 14, 2010 05:22PM

Britdrnva~ Wrote:
> Madison County is the worst - just north of
> C-ville/Albemarle Co. As others have said keep it
> <10mph and you should be gtg. It usually isn't
> worth the cops' time to deal with the paperwork
> for speeding <10, they'll wait for bigger fish.
>
> Another tactic I do, is let some guy who's going
> fast in front of me let him get ~1/4 to 1/3 mile
> in front, then hold his speed. If you see him put
> his brakes on match him. I haven't had a ticket
> in over 15 years keeping it below 10 or by letting
> someone else take the bait.

they don't understand English (good) driving on here

Date: July 14, 2010 05:26PM

I got pulled in texas going 28 mph over, the sheriff took my license and reg, came back to the car and said...

"so how do you guys like texas?"

we said. 'it's amazing! way more beautiful than i expected!"

he said, "slow down, and watch for the deer at night!"

some police are nice

Posted by: Troll@A0L ()
Date: July 14, 2010 07:24PM

I was coming home traveling west bound on route 58, when a policeman pulled me over. He told me I was going 78 mph with a limit of 60, until I showed him my GPS, which showed my top speed of entire trip was only 67 MPH. He then joked and wrote me a ticket for improper equipment instead of a speeding ticket. I told him that the car I was driving was a brand new rental car and he said "let them pay it". He told me not to go to court because it won't help.

Has anyone had problems with the police on 58/13 from VA to NC?
If they need money that bad they should put up a toll booth.

edit by Cary: USER BANNED, IMPERSONATION PROHIBITED: Fios Troll #1. Account locked.

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: July 14, 2010 09:43PM

I just bought a Beltronics STi-R radar detector. You install the front detector in the grill and then its got a small screen you can put anywhere, so its not visible unlike a dash mount detector. Its also one of the few that is undetectable to radar detector-detectors

Posted by: Snickers62 ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:39PM

As you may know, Virginia is the only state that bans the use and sale of detectors. There is no evidence that the detector ban increases highway safety. Our nation’s fatality rates have fallen consistently for almost two decades. Virginia’s fatality rate has also fallen, but not any more dramatically than it has nationwide. Research has even shown that radar detector owners have a lower accident rate than motorists who do not own a detector.

Maintaining the ban is not in the best interest of Virginians or visitors to the state. I know and know of people that will not drive in Virginia due to this ban. Unjust enforcement practices are not unheard of, and radar detectors can keep safe motorists from being exploited by abusive speed traps. Likewise, the ban has a negative impact on Virginia’s business community. Electronic distributors lose business to neighboring states and Virginia misses out on valuable sales tax revenue.

Radar detector bans do not work. Research and experience show that radar detector bans do not result in lower accident rates, improved speed-limit compliance or reduce auto insurance expenditures.
• The Virginia radar detector ban is difficult and expensive to enforce. The Virginia ban diverts precious law enforcement resources from more important duties.
• Radar detectors are legal in the rest of the nation, in all 49 other states. In fact, the first state to test a radar detector ban, Connecticut, repealed the law – it ruled the law was ineffective and unfair. It is time for our Virginia to join the rest of the nation.
• It has never been shown that radar detectors cause accidents or even encourage motorists to drive faster than they would otherwise. The Yankelovich – Clancy – Shulman Radar Detector Study conducted in 1987, showed that radar detector users drove an average of 34% further between accidents (233,933 miles versus 174,554 miles) than non radar detector users. The study also showed that they have much higher seat belt use compliance. If drivers with radar detectors have fewer accidents, it follows that they have reduced insurance costs – it is counterproductive to ban radar detectors.
• In a similar study performed in Great Britain by MORI in 2001 the summary reports that "Users (of radar detectors) appear to travel 50% further between accidents than non-users. In this survey the users interviewed traveling on average 217,353 miles between accidents compared to 143,401 miles between accidents of those non-users randomly drawn from the general public." The MORI study also reported "Three quarters agree, perhaps unsurprisingly, that since purchasing a radar detector they have become more conscious about keeping to the speed limit..." and "Three in five detector users claim to have become a safer driver since purchasing a detector."
• Modern radar detectors play a significant role in preventing accidents and laying the technology foundation for the Safety Warning System® (SWS). Radar detectors with SWS alert motorists to oncoming emergency vehicles, potential road hazards, and unusual traffic conditions. There are more than 10 million radar detectors with SWS in use nationwide. The federal government has earmarked $2.1 million for further study of the SWS over a three-year period of time. The U.S. Department of Transportation is administering grants to state and local governments to purchase the SWS system and study its effectiveness (for example, in the form of SWS transmitters for school buses and emergency vehicles). The drivers of Virginia deserve the right to the important safety benefits that SWS delivers.
*** A small surcharge($5-$10) or tax(2%-3%) could be added to the price of the device to make-up for any possible loss of revenue from reduced number of speeding tickets and the loss of tickets written for radar detectors.***

Please sign this petition and help repeal this ban and give drivers in Virginia the freedom to know if they are under surveillance and to use their property legally:

www.stoptheban.org

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-the-virginia-radar-detector-ban

Date: July 29, 2010 08:41PM

Please sign this petition and help repeal this ban and give drivers in Virginia the freedom to know if they are under surveillance and to use their property legally:

www.stoptheban.org

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-the-virginia-radar-detector-ban

Date: July 29, 2010 08:41PM

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:54PM

Fuck your petition and your useless overpriced radar detectors.

Slow the fuck down, or pay your tickets.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:18PM

I'd go with 7 mph over being a speed that you will most likely not a ticket. In Centreville the only place I know is 28 going South under the 29 bridge.

Now going to and from Charlottesville the road is famous for speed traps.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:24PM

29 is not a road to hot dog it on, unless you know exactly where the po po likes to hide. They have a special affinity for kids traveling to/from UVa (and their parents).

I-81 is also notorious in stretches.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:59PM

I still don't understand the VA radar ban. Only VA and D.C. have the ban, so wtf is the point of it? Besides, if everyone has radar detectors, then all the VA State Police need to do is place fake transmitters at random spots upon the roadways.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: info ()
Date: July 30, 2010 07:29PM

eesh's real address:

6828 Corder Ln Lorton, VA 22079

work: http://www.mpri.com/esite/index.php/...out/contact_us

Date: July 30, 2010 07:32PM

Photobucket

Date: August 09, 2010 12:43AM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> Fuck your petition and your useless overpriced
> radar detectors.
>
> Slow the fuck down, or pay your tickets.

Troll, don't tell me to slow down when you are the one asking for advice on speeding.

You slow the fuck down or pay your tickets!!!

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> radar detectors.
>

Troll, don't tell me to slow down when you are the one asking for advice on speeding.

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> radar detectors.
>

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: August 09, 2010 02:01AM

Huh? Retard much?

Huh? Retard much?

Huh? Retard much?

Slow the fuck down, or pay you tickets. Retard.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.