HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Used Car Prices
Posted by: old and in the way ()
Date: December 15, 2018 03:41PM

Too high now. Used to be you could buy a good 10 year old car for under 2500. Now a decent 10 year old car is 10k. Craigslist used car buying has devolved into a strange blood sport. POS 20 year old vehicles are 3k+ Any decent car that goes on by a real owner who took care of his car are gone within 5 hours of posting. I responded to one within 2 hours and the guy already had a dozen people interested. I offered to come right over with cash but he was lining up offers - I told him to fuck off.

So now you basically have to go through a used car dealer. Fees and a lot of sleezbaggery. Decent car under 5 years and 80k miles is 20k. New cars are almost reasonable if you can live with the 'cheap' sedans like a subaru or camary/accord. Who wants to drive that shit for 500 buck a month for 7 years?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Used Car Prices
Posted by: idkk about that ()
Date: December 15, 2018 03:44PM

I don't remember being able to buy a decent 10 year old car for under $2,500 in a loong time.

You can get a 10 year old reliable car for $5k which is not bad.

Posted by: hknk6 ()
Date: December 15, 2018 09:06PM

shut the fuck up. every "fact" mentioned has never been true

Posted by: georgetown south resident ()
Date: December 16, 2018 06:49AM

I just sold a 07 Corolla with 127,000 miles on it in good condition other than a few scratches for $2500. A guy met me at the DMV parking lot with cash 30 minutes after I posted it on CL. I sold that thing too cheap I guess. Everything worked on it including the A/C. He probably resold it for 5000.

Posted by: not really ()
Date: December 16, 2018 10:06AM

idkk about that Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't remember being able to buy a decent 10
> year old car for under $2,500 in a loong time.
>
> You can get a 10 year old reliable car for $5k
> which is not bad.

Example please - under 5k? maybe a Honda Fit with 140k miles on it. I suppose id agree you can get a 'reliable' care like a Smart Car or an Accord with 170k on it. I wouldnt classify any of these as any good. Maybe you do I guess.

Posted by: its all for cash ()
Date: December 16, 2018 10:16AM

georgetown south resident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just sold a 07 Corolla with 127,000 miles on it
> in good condition other than a few scratches for
> $2500. A guy met me at the DMV parking lot with
> cash 30 minutes after I posted it on CL. I sold
> that thing too cheap I guess. Everything worked on
> it including the A/C. He probably resold it for
> 5000.

Probably sold it for at least 5k as that is what it was worth. Used cars are so hot now people like you price them on what the 'should' be worth based on the market 5 years ago. Lurkers on Craigslist literally run to owners posting these cars at half market rates. The result is even if you catch one of these deals in the first hour on Craigslist and are the first to call, the curbstoners call the owner and promise the owner the moon - this causes the owner to ignore average joe offering asking price. curbstoners then backdown only paying asking price.

End result is 95% of the cars are sold by dealers, or curbstoner flippers at the new dealer prices. Sucks.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.