HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Bill - Camera Phones Must Make Clicking Noise
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 28, 2009 07:29PM

Now this is just stupid. The child predators probably already have sources for special "clickless" phones. Another example of our leaders not understanding technology.

http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-camera-phones-must-go-click-to-ward-off-predators/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Bill - Camera Phones Must Make Clicking Noise
Posted by: El Heffe ()
Date: January 28, 2009 09:46PM

All Americans should fill out forms and have a notary validate each photo that is taken of somebody. It's the only way our republic can stay safe. Every photo must be accounted for and cataloged.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 29, 2009 12:58AM

This is an example of how politicians take advantage of "moral panic" to pass unnecessary, excessive and intrusive laws.

"It's for the children!", "Save the children!", "Protect our children!"

Unless the law requires everyone to turn in their existing phones, cameras, PDAs, and anything else that can capture an image without making a noise, this law will do nothing. Besides, I'm not sure that the problem is that big of a crisis in the first place.

I guess this congressman just wants to be able to claim that he sponsored a bill that would protect children in his next campaign, and of course, label his opponent as being a supporter of child predators for running against him.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 29, 2009 09:11AM

All you'd have to do is disable the speaker on your phone. There's no mechanics to make it click otherwise.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 29, 2009 11:03AM

This is funny because for years camera manufacturers have been looking for ways to make shutters quieter for use in weddings, press conferences, etc...
I know this issue applies to cell phones, but how long before this affects POS and SLR's that continually get quieter.

And if they're worried about dressing rooms and lockers rooms, isn't a perv is more likely to use a video camera that makes no sound at all and has better resolution?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 29, 2009 12:09PM

I think they should introduce a bill requiring all cameras to digitally analyze the pictures being taken, and wirelessly notify the police if an illegal image is being taken.

It's the only way to keep my kids safe when I let them get naked in a dressing room and can't be bothered to stand outside to make sure some sick fuck doesn't take advantage of them.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 02, 2009 06:39PM

it's kind of a moot bill. google android let's you do ANYTHING to the phone.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TehTeh ()
Date: February 02, 2009 09:35PM

It's not like you can't just sneeze right when you take the picture...

Posted by: TehTeh ()
Date: February 02, 2009 09:39PM

Anyway, what about instances where a silent camera phone would prevent crimes? What about during a bank robbery? There's plenty of times where people have stealthily taken picture of someone carrying out a criminal act.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.