HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Foundation Invites Disadvantaged to Attend Inauguration
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: January 16, 2009 10:02PM

If I was a doner to this organaization I be pissed...spending $1.5 million to send disadvantaged to attend the inaugeration! A lot of kids could have recieved a full scholarship to college...a lot of homes for humanity couldve been built with that money. Instead a group will watch a speech...and go to a party! Totally absurd! This certainly puts a dent into the republikan logic that people know best what to do with their money then the government does. No government beaureaucrat would ever approve such a thing..if he did...he'd be critised, if not fired!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june09/stafford_01-16.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foundation Invites Disadvantaged to Attend Inauguration
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 16, 2009 11:43PM

Well, if a government bureaucrat arranged this trip, I'm sure it would have been just as wasteful.

$3,750 per person? for a trip to Washington DC? And I'm sure they're going by bus, not by airplane.

I've flown to Europe with a few friends and spent a week travelling by rail and staying in moderately priced hotels for half that much per person.

Sounds to me like someone in the "non-profit" is getting a nice fat fee for organizing this thing.

Even with the three "1,000 person" events, I still don't see how they're blowing 1.5 million. Figure the prayer breakfast is probably $50 a person ($50,000), Then the 1,000 person MLK luncheon, maybe that's $100 per person ($100,000), and the 1,000 person ball might be $150 a person ($150,000), and putting 400 people up in the hotel, two to a room, even if the rooms are $1,000 a night, for two nights, that's only $400,000. So that's $700,000. What are the spending the other $800,000 on?? Transportation?

Hell, the company my father used to work for used to have extravagant christmas parties at the Wardmann Park Marriott every year where they'd fly in employees from San Francisco, New York, Chicago,London, Spain, Tokyo, etc, had big name bands etc. 1,800 peole plus spouses and other guests, with at least 1/3 flown in and put up at the wardman park marriott, and the two years I went Chicago was the headliner one year, the Beach Boys the other, and I was told the whole thing cost less than a million each time. That included open bar, reimbursed cab rides for anyone who had too much to drink, and limousines for the officers of the company and every thing else you could think of.

I never trusted all these non-profit organizations. They don't pay taxes, and they don't need to pay shareholders any profits, so they make sure the people running the non-profit absorb all the money taken in with really enormous salaries and first class travel all over the place to go on "fundraisers".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 11:58PM by Bob.

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: January 17, 2009 10:41AM

If this was an effort to get other kinds of "disadvantaged" people there, such as illegal aliens, Vince would be praising the demokrats for it. I guess when you are a demokrat, only certain "disadvantaged" groups are worthy of blowing money on.

Posted by: Alfred E. Newman ()
Date: January 17, 2009 12:10PM

Why would anybody in their right mind even WANT to go to BO's
Inauguration in the first place?

Date: January 17, 2009 12:22PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I was a doner to this organaization I be
> pissed...spending $1.5 million to send
> disadvantaged to attend the inaugeration! A lot
> of kids could have recieved a full scholarship to
> college...a lot of homes for humanity couldve been
> built with that money. Instead a group will watch
> a speech...and go to a party! Totally absurd!
> This certainly puts a dent into the republikan
> logic that people know best what to do with their
> money then the government does. No government
> beaureaucrat would ever approve such a thing..if
> he did...he'd be critised, if not fired!
>
> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june0
> 9/stafford_01-16.html

It's a dumb thing to do and it is even dumber to promote it. I have to agree with Vince on this one.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 18, 2009 03:02PM

conVince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If this was an effort to get other kinds of
> "disadvantaged" people there, such as illegal
> aliens, Vince would be praising the demokrats for
> it. I guess when you are a demokrat, only certain
> "disadvantaged" groups are worthy of blowing money
> on.

+100,000

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.