HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: December 31, 2008 09:20AM

Has anybody paid the amount to see if these "new signatures" are real?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Date: December 31, 2008 09:29AM

Yes. They are real. I have corresponded with people from high school who I haven't seen in 20 years. Of course you quickly realize why you haven't corresponded with some of these people in 20 years.

Regarding those "new signatures," Classmates automatically records people who land on your page, so odds are you won't know who some of those people are or why they are visiting your page. But you will undoubtedly see people you know.

Being in my 40s, the funniest and kind of sad part is the 40-something divorcees who are looking for husband number 3 or 4 who check out my page. I visit their pages (but remove my signature). It's amazing what has happened to some of the "popular" kids from high school.

Personally, I think it is worth the $40 or whatever they charge because there are a couple of people I have reconnected with who I have met up with and continue to correspond with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: December 31, 2008 09:31AM

I did once and wasn't happy with the result. I signed up for a 30 day membership so I could see who had signed my guestbook. I was hoping it was an old girlfriend or something but it turned out to be some dude I had never heard of. Then I failed to notice that in the fine print of the membership agreement is a clause that signs you up for automatic renewal if you don't cancel. So, the next month I was billed again for another month. It was impossible to get a live person on the phone to ask for a refund. I found a FAQ somewhere that said they had a no refund policy. I finally ended up filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Classmates refunded the second month fee but insisted their policy was fine and clearly stated. I think it's pretty deceptive to bury something in a long document and refuse to offer refunds to people who didn't mean to renew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Date: December 31, 2008 09:37AM

Dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did once and wasn't happy with the result. I
> signed up for a 30 day membership so I could see
> who had signed my guestbook. I was hoping it was
> an old girlfriend or something but it turned out
> to be some dude I had never heard of. Then I
> failed to notice that in the fine print of the
> membership agreement is a clause that signs you up
> for automatic renewal if you don't cancel. So,
> the next month I was billed again for another
> month. It was impossible to get a live person on
> the phone to ask for a refund. I found a FAQ
> somewhere that said they had a no refund policy.
> I finally ended up filing a complaint with the
> Better Business Bureau and Classmates refunded the
> second month fee but insisted their policy was
> fine and clearly stated. I think it's pretty
> deceptive to bury something in a long document and
> refuse to offer refunds to people who didn't mean
> to renew.


I signed on for one year and after the year they stopped billing me. I signed up again recently.

I am happy with it. I wasn't looking for old girlfriends but to connect with people I was friends with in high school. For that purpose, it is fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: December 31, 2008 09:42AM

I like the site, I'm just not happy with the renewal program and 'no refund' policy. Here is the relevant info from the agreement:


3. Refund Policy. All fees relating to Subscription Services, including the initial fees and any subsequent automatic renewal fees (as further described below), are non-refundable.

4. Automatic Renewal Program. Upon your acceptance of an offer for Subscription Services, you will be enrolled in Classmates’ automatic renewal program to help ensure that there is no interruption of your Gold member privileges. Under this program, you authorize Classmates to automatically renew your subscription at the end of the term of the subscription you purchased, and each subsequent term, for the same term length of the subscription you initially purchased (unless otherwise stated in the offer you accepted). Unless you take the necessary steps to remove yourself from Classmates’ automatic renewal program, at the time of each such renewal you authorize Classmates to charge your credit card (or other payment method) at the then-current, non-promotional price for the renewal of your Subscription Services. If you no longer want to be enrolled in Classmates’ automatic renewal program, you can change your renewal status at any time by logging on to Your Account, clicking on “Membership Information”, and changing your renewal option from “automatic” to “manual”. Please note that changing your renewal option in this way will only stop future automatic renewals of your subscription and will not impact any automatic renewals that occurred prior to the date of your status change.

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
> I am happy with it. I wasn't looking for old
> girlfriends but to connect with people I was
> friends with in high school. For that purpose, it
> is fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Date: December 31, 2008 10:04AM

So why didn't you just switch it to manual? How much did it charge your credit card? Five bucks? How much time did it take to fix it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: December 31, 2008 10:23AM

I think it was more like $15 or $20--it's not the money, it's the principle. I believe a reputable vendor that stands by their product will have no problem issuing a refund if a customer is not satified for any reason. Smells like a deceptive practice to me, which I don't like.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Date: December 31, 2008 10:28AM

I was waiting for you to bring up "principle." Principle is marching on Washington for Civil rights or blowing the whistle on your boss when you find out he is embezzling from the company. This isn't about "principle." It's about you placing so little value in your own time that it is worth wasting hours of it for a $15 or $20 return. It's like those people who spend an hour in line for free ice cream at Baskin Robbins' during its "free ice cream cone" night (a cone costs, what, $2.50? $3.00? That's how much an hour of their time is worth?).

The Classmates policy is pretty typical of online subscriptions. Virtually every service like this uses an automatic renewal feature. You may think it is a rip-off, but it is actually seen as a convenience by most people.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 10:30AM by WashingTone Locian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 31, 2008 10:32AM

Classmates recently got sued. Apparently people were seeing messages like "2 new classmates have contacted you", and they paid for subscriptions only to find out it wasn't really classmates, they were just messages from the website that were in their inbox. That's a pretty bogus way to run a business. I just put an email address in my profile with a note telling people to contact me via email, no way I'd sign up after some of the stories I've heard like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Date: December 31, 2008 10:34AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Classmates recently got sued. Apparently people
> were seeing messages like "2 new classmates have
> contacted you", and they paid for subscriptions
> only to find out it wasn't really classmates, they
> were just messages from the website that were in
> their inbox. That's a pretty bogus way to run a
> business. I just put an email address in my
> profile with a note telling people to contact me
> via email, no way I'd sign up after some of the
> stories I've heard like this.

Hadn't heard that. That is bad.

As far as my personal experience, I haven't seen anything like that.

Regarding the e-mail thing, that is not a bad idea. However, I like to check up on people anonymously before contacting them. If someone seems like a psycho, I avoid contact altogether. Not sure I want to encourage some of these people to contact me directly.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 10:36AM by WashingTone Locian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: December 31, 2008 10:45AM

I didn't waste hours of my time, but I don't like being ripped off--even for $15 or $20. I don't see any convenience in it either. So what if my "gold membership" lapses? Just make it convenient to renew--it's the internet. The thing is that they offer several types of memberships: six months, annual, and 30 days. If I wanted a continuous membership I would have signed up for one. I signed up for the 30 days because I just wanted to contact one person. The fact that they have had to address it in a FAQ makes it pretty clear to me that lots of others have found that misleading, as I did.


WashingTone Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was waiting for you to bring up "principle."
> Principle is marching on Washington for Civil
> rights or blowing the whistle on your boss when
> you find out he is embezzling from the company.
> This isn't about "principle." It's about you
> placing so little value in your own time that it
> is worth wasting hours of it for a $15 or $20
> return. It's like those people who spend an hour
> in line for free ice cream at Baskin Robbins'
> during its "free ice cream cone" night (a cone
> costs, what, $2.50? $3.00? That's how much an hour
> of their time is worth?).
>
> The Classmates policy is pretty typical of online
> subscriptions. Virtually every service like this
> uses an automatic renewal feature. You may think
> it is a rip-off, but it is actually seen as a
> convenience by most people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Julie Pink ()
Date: January 07, 2009 08:53AM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. They are real. I have corresponded with
> people from high school who I haven't seen in 20
> years. Of course you quickly realize why you
> haven't corresponded with some of these people in
> 20 years.
>
> Regarding those "new signatures," Classmates
> automatically records people who land on your
> page, so odds are you won't know who some of those
> people are or why they are visiting your page. But
> you will undoubtedly see people you know.
>
> Being in my 40s, the funniest and kind of sad part
> is the 40-something divorcees who are looking for
> husband number 3 or 4 who check out my page. I
> visit their pages (but remove my signature). It's
> amazing what has happened to some of the "popular"
> kids from high school.
>
> Personally, I think it is worth the $40 or
> whatever they charge because there are a couple of
> people I have reconnected with who I have met up
> with and continue to correspond with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Julie Pink ()
Date: January 07, 2009 08:55AM

Come on guys - haven't you ever heard the saying "READ THE FINE PRINT" - Take the 20 extra minutes to read. We seem to be a society that refuses to read fine print - and then we are mad when the company follows the "fine print" -
I never sign up for anything without taking the responsible road to reading the whole darn document. Pain ? You bet. Getting my money back after I haven't read the fine print - MORE of a pain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:41AM

I'm not going to spend 20 minutes reading a license agreement when I'm spending $15. I spent 5 minutes filing a complaint with the BBB and got my problem resolved and learned not to sign up with them again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Date: January 07, 2009 09:51AM

Anyone else been receiving unsolicited e-mails from Classmates about a Reunion? They are coming into an e-mail account of mine that is not registered with Classmates. I am assuming it is phishing or some other scam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:53AM

Classmates does use misleading means to try to get you to sign up. I even got a message saying they were the "official" alumni site for my HS, which was total BS.

I moved over to FaceBook and found TONS more people than were listed on Classmates. So I lol'd and spam-blocked Classmates email.

gonnatraxU.jpgnoprivacytracker.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: January 07, 2009 02:53PM

\



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 08:04PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: cheatem ()
Date: January 07, 2009 08:25PM

Facebook is better and free. Connected with 100's of my hs mates (college/work/etc) there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Proud FCPS Grad ()
Date: January 08, 2009 07:42AM

-----------
>Facebook is better and free. Connected with 100's of my hs mates (college/work/etc) there.


Absolutely! The only catch to facebook is that you have to send those friend requests, which can feel strange especially to somebody you haven't seen in 20 years. I've decided to limit who I ask to "be friends" to just family, my best friends from college, and those few from high school that I give a shit about. If somebody sends me a request, I normally take some time to think about accepting it...as somebody stated earlier: you normally find out why you haven't kept in touch after all these years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: cheatem ()
Date: January 08, 2009 09:47PM

I discovered most (if not all) are much better to talk to now then before. I would have bet money many of 'em would have ended up in a gutter but pleasantly surprised to see many grew up.

Proud FCPS Grad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -----------
> >Facebook is better and free. Connected with 100's
> of my hs mates (college/work/etc) there.
>
>
> Absolutely! The only catch to facebook is that
> you have to send those friend requests, which can
> feel strange especially to somebody you haven't
> seen in 20 years. I've decided to limit who I ask
> to "be friends" to just family, my best friends
> from college, and those few from high school that
> I give a shit about. If somebody sends me a
> request, I normally take some time to think about
> accepting it...as somebody stated earlier: you
> normally find out why you haven't kept in touch
> after all these years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: January 08, 2009 09:53PM

I like facebook.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Highlancer ()
Date: January 15, 2009 01:30PM

Just got renewed to Classmates and they would not refund it. They are devious about their renewal billing, any reputable company sends you an email letting you know that you are about to renew. And that one little email, letting people decide in advance whether they want the automatic renewal to take place or not, would save hundreds of hours for their customer service people trying to "negotiate" with ticked off customers. I would not have renewed had I known it was coming… but they feed on the fact that most people won’t notice or won’t take the time to voice their frustration. It’s simply devious, no other way to explain it. They really don’t provide much value for the money with all the other free social networking site now. Classmates you might want to be more consumer friendly before your revenue stream dries up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Randall Ketterer ()
Date: April 01, 2009 05:33PM

Hello my name is Randall K Ketterer
I live in Arizona
Tempe Az in Month of november of 1999
now living in chandler az as of april 1st , 2009
Classmates says I have 3 guestbook signatures
I am looking for my older girlfriend
she is asian worked at jpmorgan chase bank in 1999 during November

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Randall Ketterer ()
Date: April 01, 2009 06:37PM

is anyone familiar with this bank? this is where Jody worked
i'm not asking for personel info if you know her? contact me back here
i will supply my contact information to give to her
this is around november 1999
she asian back when she worked there she was like the only asian then
i have a checking account there now at the bank chase
but the bank wont get off there lazy ass to even look her up for me grrrrr
Attachments:
Chase Bank.jpg
Chase Bank (1).jpg
n1158181642_7469.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: ed ()
Date: April 01, 2009 07:11PM

Randall Ketterer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is around november 1999
> she asian back when she worked there she was like
> the only asian then

what is she now?

you know they say "once you go black you'll never go back"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Randall Ketterer ()
Date: April 01, 2009 07:46PM

ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Randall Ketterer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > this is around november 1999
> > she asian back when she worked there she was
> like
> > the only asian then
>
> what is she now?
>
> you know they say "once you go black you'll never
> go back"


what?? lmao hehehe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Randall Ketterer ()
Date: April 01, 2009 07:48PM

re : what is she now?
>
> you know they say "once you go black you'll never
> go back"



well she's asian of course , i still remember all the times we spent together

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: April 01, 2009 09:37PM

classmates.com is a rip-off. Google "Complains classmates.com" for the details. FaceBook is much better and does not pursue you relentlessly and assign charges like classmates.com.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Deja Vu ()
Date: April 02, 2009 11:15AM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------


> Being in my 40s, the funniest and kind of sad part
> is the 40-something divorcees who are looking for
> husband number 3 or 4 who check out my page. I
> visit their pages (but remove my signature). It's
> amazing what has happened to some of the "popular"
> kids from high school.

LOL! Right on the money! I just turned 60 and its amazing how many former
classmates (female) have looked me up. At this age, you not only get ones
who are looking for husband number 3 or 4, but widows who are realizing
that they arent the 18 year glamor (and drama) queens they were back
in high school. One in particular never had two words to say to me back
then but now she sends me a message acting like she'd been wondering
about me all these years and was sooooo happy to find me. Heh...Heh...
I know what the real story was though. She's been in and out of mental institutions, has a serious drug and alcohol problem and more debt than
General Motors. Husband number 4 kicked her out the door and the current boyfriend is on a first name basis with all the cops on the DUI patrol
and the Domestic Response Unit. Duh....Think I should follow up on
this one?:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Randall Ketterer ()
Date: April 03, 2009 02:08AM

well I signed up for the 7 day free trial
and the guest book signature was a miracle!
it was Jody
what a blessing!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: ed ()
Date: April 03, 2009 12:06PM

Randall Ketterer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well I signed up for the 7 day free trial
> and the guest book signature was a miracle!
> it was Jody
> what a blessing!!!


go get her tiger...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Melbaby ()
Date: May 01, 2009 11:52PM

I totally agree with you...I have a new sig. on my acct. and I don't want to pay for a 3 month subscription that will most likely charge me again in the future. And I fear that it is spam from classmates to make me sign up. They could at least tell you who got in contact with you so you don't feel like you were tricked in to signing up. That is not worth any even a penny in my book

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: Nasal ()
Date: May 02, 2009 01:01AM

Classmates.com and Reunion.com are obsolete. Facebook has groups for just
about everything. Our official class reunion organizers sometimes send us
updated lists of former classmates that lists their phone#'s, e-mail addresses,
home addresses, whatever. (that is if they want to disclose and some do not)
My high school has a website that has a box for graduates and you can register
there under your year of graduation or post general messages. I have already
found just about anybody that I care to find and the ones I dont can simply be
ignored. Some have searched for me and its always nice to hear from someone
"back in the day" and I've also been "found" by one in particular who has
been in and out of mental institutions all her life and wanted to have an
affair. She's shitfaced drunk about 18 hours per day and is always in trouble
with the police for something. Over a period of 2 months she sent me 35 messages
on every site she could find me listed and I only answered the first one in
good faith. I'm VERY happily married and would not dream of fooling around
with ANYBODY let alone a drunken nutcase who happens to be horny too. Honestly,
the only thing I can remember about her back in high school was her sitting in
front of me on the schoolbus in the mornings and talking to her about her
dogs that followed her to the end of the driveway when the bus arrived.
She obviously has stalked me on the internet as she knows my home address
and I have no idea how else she could have gotten it other than through a
property records search. She also told me she'd looked at my house through
GoogleMap and named the streets near me. The "big one" though was when she
said her son is a trucker and is bringing her here to meet me at a motel for
a fling. My wife does not approve. For this incident alone, I'm re-registering
under a fake name and only my real friends will know who it is. Thank you
Lord for giving me such and wonderful and understanding wife. I love her
dearly.

Signed,
Nasal T. Lardbottom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classmates.com New Guestbook Signatures?
Posted by: rosemaryadams ()
Date: October 27, 2010 06:25PM

it is a bunch garbage.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
CD6Jw
This forum powered by Phorum.