HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DC Cab Drivers Conduct Gridlock Protest Against Uber and Lyft
Posted by: Newser. ()
Date: June 26, 2014 08:23AM

http://jalopnik.com/d-c-taxi-drivers-gridlock-downtown-to-protest-uber-and-1596003409

...and they wonder why Uber and Lyft have gained a foothold.

I've used Uber several times. In addition to getting a ride from a non-brown, savage illegal mud person who speaks English coherently and doesn't smell like a $2 French whore dipped in a vat of curry...I like how clean the cars are AND most importantly, I can tell the Uber driver the route I want him to take and he takes the route I want without turning the conversation into a 24 hour debate on the floor of the U.N. headquarters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC Cab Drivers Conduct Gridlock Protest Against Uber and Lyft
Posted by: Decrapitated ()
Date: June 26, 2014 02:49PM

What I find shocking about this whole controversy is how can it be that the taxi industry has all these rules and regulations they apply to their drivers, yet the Uber etc drivers and cars are much more pleasent to deal with?

You would think an unregulated band of gypsy drivers would be much more sketchy than the highly regulated and governed taxi industry.

Posted by: Jim Ignatowski ()
Date: June 26, 2014 03:29PM

Decrap,

That would be logical, so you need to suspend your disbelief for a moment.

The over regulation and governance of the taxi industry is not there to provide consumers with better, safer, cleaner, [fill in the blank improved] service here. If it were they would for example be allowed to compete on price rather than have a fixed rate that's the same regardless of speed, route, friendliness, etc.

Rather, those regulations are there to create a high barrier for new entrants, essentially to keep the number of cabs roughly the same at all times, thus ensuring income for everyone and keeping out innovation. Imagine for a second how well cabbies would react if a cab company started using a fleet of the driverless Google cars.

Another case: in NYC they have to buy medallions to for a taxi license. I'm sure you've heard of this. And because there are no new ones, you basically have to wait for someone to die to get one and they can cost up to half a million dollars. So, there are of course, companies that will finance your purchase of one while using the medallion as collateral. Thus, they are able to keep new entrants from the market place.

In essence, the government has set up a monopoly for one special interest. (Not coincidentally this is a very similar issue to car dealer franchising and sales in practically every state, including ours.)

Since driver from Uber and Lyft are a) publicly rated and b) can be removed from the service for even minor infractions it stands that they provide much better service and experience than cabbies who are not rated (don't even know their names) and are near impossible to fire.

Date: June 26, 2014 03:59PM

Jim Ignatowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Another case: in NYC they have to buy medallions
> to for a taxi license. I'm sure you've heard of
> this. And because there are no new ones, you
> basically have to wait for someone to die to get
> one and they can cost up to half a million
> dollars. So, there are of course, companies that
> will finance your purchase of one while using the
> medallion as collateral. Thus, they are able to
> keep new entrants from the market place.
>
>
There was actually an ibnteresting article in the Wash Post recently about Chicago cabs and medallions. They used to be worth $350K or more there and people would finance them much like a home mortgage. But with Uber and others infringing, many of these deep in debt medallion owners are fearful they may owe more than the medallions are worth now, much like an underwater mortgage.

Posted by: UberJihadist ()
Date: June 26, 2014 04:00PM

Decrapitated, let's be clear...

Not just ANYONE can drive for Uber. You have to submit to a background check. You have to have a smartphone with a credit card swiper which you agree to leave on at all times while you are on duty so that they can track you. There are certain requirements in terms of the vehicle you drive (its age, mileage and condition, etc.)

Now...where the legal battle is being staged is over the fact that in most U.S. cities nearly every inch of a taxicab is governed by the local municipality. You have to display your medallion/license, there are certain stickers you have to have on your cab and can be fined if you don't and on and on...In summary, the traditional taxicab drivers and their employees face much more stringent requirements to operate than what an Uber driver does. And that is being waged in the courts in some cities.

You'll notice Uber is very careful to call themselves a "ride-sharing service" not a taxicab company. They maintain that their company is no different than the D.C. slug lines for example...they're just more organized. I, too, like the Uber service. In addition to the other advantages mentioned, I like that you can select ANY on duty driver to come and get you. If you have a relationship with a particular and want them...select them. If you're in a hurry and want the closest driver...select them. If you want the driver with the best reputation that's on duty...select them. And, even better you can watch (again in real time) on your smartphone as the Uber driver you have selected makes his way to your location.

Now then...Uber is not without its wrinkles. I took an Uber ride to Nats Stadium from my house. Fare? $30. After the game and the demand for Uber around the stadium was high the lowest fare I could find home on Uber was...$125.

Honestly, the taxicab companies, drivers and owners are just pissed that they didn't organize and use the available technology FIRST.

As for autonomous cars...yep, they're coming, too. Eventually, we won't even own cars anymore...we'll just select a service and a car will come and get us.

Posted by: WaPo ()
Date: June 26, 2014 04:01PM

Posted by: Le Car ()
Date: June 26, 2014 05:04PM

In France the cabbies had a strike to protest Uber and other new companies.

The demand for Uber services and new customers signing up went through the roof due to the strike.

Fail...

Posted by: Jim Ignatowski ()
Date: June 26, 2014 05:13PM

Le Car Wrote:
> In France the cabbies had a strike to protest Uber
> and other new companies.
>
> The demand for Uber services and new customers
> signing up went through the roof due to the
> strike.
>
> Fail...

Same thing happened in London. Invaluable free advertising.

Posted by: 3up7v ()
Date: June 26, 2014 06:02PM

>Not just ANYONE can drive for Uber. You have to submit to a background check. You have to have a smartphone with a credit card swiper which you agree to leave on at all times while you are on duty so that they can track you. There are certain requirements in terms of the vehicle you drive (its age, mileage and condition, etc.)

Who is verifying this? The riders?

Posted by: UberJihadist ()
Date: June 26, 2014 07:05PM

3up7v Wrote:
> >Not just ANYONE can drive for Uber. You have to
> submit to a background check. You have to have a
> smartphone with a credit card swiper which you
> agree to leave on at all times while you are on
> duty so that they can track you. There are certain
> requirements in terms of the vehicle you drive
> (its age, mileage and condition, etc.)
>
> Who is verifying this? The riders?

No, the riders don't verify this. Uber verifies this. You must complete a background check information form which is then sent in to Uber and then Uber forwards the form to a private firm they've contracted to handle their background checks. Once you've passed the background check and met all of their other driver/vehicle requirements...THEN they grant you the privilege of becoming one of their drivers.

Christ...don't take my word for it...click here: www.uber.com

Date: June 26, 2014 07:38PM

UberJihadist Wrote:
> Decrapitated, let's be clear...
>
> Not just ANYONE can drive for Uber. You have to
> submit to a background check. You have to have a
> smartphone with a credit card swiper which you
> agree to leave on at all times while you are on
> duty so that they can track you. There are certain
> requirements in terms of the vehicle you drive
> (its age, mileage and condition, etc.)
>
>

The Uber driver that was a focus of the Wash Post article had a 2005 Hyundai (which was a POS in 2005) with 150K on it. Apparently the requirements are pretty lax in Chicago.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.