HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
This country needs a student loan bail out plan
Posted by: GMU 2008 ()
Date: April 20, 2014 03:31PM

I have not been able to stay employed since I graduated from GMU. I declared bankruptcy but they would not let me discharge my huge student loan debt. This is bullshit because I got a crappy education and cant keep a real job. I am working at Starbucks and living with my Mom and Step-dad. The student loan payments take up 40% of my take home pay.
They bailed out banks and car companies, what about me? This sucks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This country needs a student loan bail out plan
Posted by: Some Questions ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:24PM

Do you mean you can't 'get' a real job, or you can't 'keep' a real job? If the latter, why not? What did you major in, and what did you expect to do after graduation? Not trolling - curious.

Posted by: XhDdc ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:27PM

I am sure this will be promised in the upcoming elections.

Posted by: eLester ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:32PM

what major? I just found out my nephew is going to GMU.

Posted by: Justin Belieber ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:35PM

Boo fucking hoo.

There are loads of people in the country who didn't go to college and are making it just fun. While people like you were fucking off in college, these people were making their careers. Perhaps you should not have believed the bullshit they fed you in high school about college education and should have gone out and gotten started on your career.

Posted by: Justin Belieber ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:36PM

*fine

Posted by: eLester ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:37PM

That's what the employment fairs at schools are for. If you missed out on an interview then, it's probably due to grades.

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat XDD ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:49PM

Why should the government bailout the loans? When one signs up for the loans, the terms are quite clear. It's unfortunate that predicament you're in, but one does need an education to survive. The work will come - be creative. You'll have money to pay your debts.

As a parent, I can't say enough good things about Virginia's 529 plan. Having tuition pre-paid for my children is an excellent program that has a value of about $5.5K each semester towards tuition and the associated fees. For parents who are just getting started, please create such a plan for your child. Keep the contributions going and when it's time to use the plan, it will be there for you - and guaranteed to cover the tuition rates, regardless of high they might be. This just leaves housing, food and books as the only remaining bill for each semester.

Posted by: kjdalkjf ()
Date: April 20, 2014 05:56PM

Let's be honest. The pendulum has been swinging towards tradesman for the last 15 years. Learn a trade and a skill. My electrician makes more than I do on a per hour basis. Not everyone is meant for college and that's not a bad thing.

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: April 20, 2014 07:38PM

kjdalkjf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's be honest. The pendulum has been swinging
> towards tradesman for the last 15 years. Learn a
> trade and a skill. My electrician makes more than
> I do on a per hour basis. Not everyone is meant
> for college and that's not a bad thing.

You can thank Bill Gates and his contemporaries for making a sheep skin null and void.

Why waste time in school when you can hack and steal your way to billions?

The other side of the equation is that 20 years ago jobs of all sorts were made available to anyone with any type of degree.....and anyone without one got passed over. A two year degree in cosmetology could land you a decent paying position as a supervisor or manager in an accounting department just about anywhere. Some of those companies figured it out before it was too late.

Posted by: F YOU! ()
Date: April 20, 2014 07:44PM

Sounds to me like just another freeloader looking for a handout.

I had to pay ALL of students loans off by working two jobs. During the day as marketing manager and at night, some times until 2am as a bartender.

So FUCK YOU, you freeloading piece of shit!

Posted by: You Bought It, Now Pay For It ()
Date: April 20, 2014 07:52PM

Debbie Downer Democrat XDD Wrote:
> Why should the government bailout the loans?

The government wouldn't bail out the loans - the taxpayer would. You and I and everyone who actually works for a living.

My question to the OP is what is his/her degree in? Art history? Philosophy? Women's studies? Is he/she following the "dream" as espoused by Nancy Peolosi or is there an actual useful degree in one of the STEM fields involved?

Hey OP, you picked your major, you signed the papers, you bought it, now pay for it. If I buy a car, then decide it's not all I hoped for, I can't go back to the bank and say I shouldn't pay for it.

Or as was said above, learn a trade. You still owe us (the taxpayer) for that loan balance. Consider it an expensive lesson.

> As a parent, I can't say enough good things about Virginia's 529 plan.

I had a four-year prepaid account for my daughter three months after she was born. One $36K payment up front and 18 years afterwards she heads off to school with no tuition bills.

In this area, there are opportunities for employer-funded education. My employers have paid for my second BS, plus two Masters' degrees. All in technical and highly desired fields, so I'm not worried about being unemployed.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: April 20, 2014 08:04PM

You could always join the military! Even though DOD is downsizing, they still need a fresh set of recruits coming in every year. The National Guard in particular is getting desperate for people right now, and instead of an enlistment bonus, they offer student loan repayments up to a certain amount. See your Active Duty or Guardsmen recruiter today!

Posted by: I paid mine ()
Date: April 20, 2014 08:06PM

I am pretty sure OP is a troll, but I'll bite. I worked for 5 after high school before college. I worked my ass off while I went to college, usually at menial jobs. I paid my through school with the help of student loans. After I graduated, I worked and paid off my student loans over 10 years. It sucked, but I took out the loans, therefore they were my responsibility to pay them. I don't understand these people bitching about paying off loans that they took out on their own free will. People that don't repay loans are by definition freeloaders. I have no sympathy for freeloaders.

Posted by: UcPPt ()
Date: April 20, 2014 08:19PM

I know a lot of college students are upset that they aren't getting a six figure salary after graduating.

I mean, they did go to college!

Posted by: toughlucker... ()
Date: April 20, 2014 08:19PM

When higher minds conspire to con, swindle and enslave a lower mind, why do we always blame the lower mind? Obviously, He was just doing and aspiring to what had been ingrained and beaten over his head his entire life. Go to college or you are a loser. So many received and took the message to heart that college is no longer and will never be again, the dream of the one who got away.
Higher education became abuse in the guise of help. A master seeking a slave while promising freedom.
Look up Neo-feudalism, its where the 3% have everything. About 15% Have something and work at the whims of the 3% and the rest are peasants. Sorry kid, the professors are just trying to be the 15% and kiss up to the 3%...
You could have gotten a better education thru meditation and self-education like me! But you'd laugh at me and others like us. In that you gave the 3% the permission to do and be the same...Its always you're choice, even though it doesn't appear so...

Posted by: Get A Life ()
Date: April 20, 2014 08:50PM

toughlucker... Wrote:
> When higher minds conspire to con, swindle and
> enslave a lower mind, why do we always blame the
> lower mind? Obviously, He was just doing and
> aspiring to what had been ingrained and beaten
> over his head his entire life. Go to college or
> you are a loser. So many received and took the
> message to heart that college is no longer and
> will never be again, the dream of the one who got
> away.
> Higher education became abuse in the guise of
> help. A master seeking a slave while promising
> freedom.
> Look up Neo-feudalism, its where the 3% have
> everything. About 15% Have something and work at
> the whims of the 3% and the rest are peasants.
> Sorry kid, the professors are just trying to be
> the 15% and kiss up to the 3%...
> You could have gotten a better education thru
> meditation and self-education like me! But you'd
> laugh at me and others like us. In that you gave
> the 3% the permission to do and be the same...Its
> always you're choice, even though it doesn't
> appear so...

Are you on a smoke break that you had time to compose such a lengthy response? Time to get back to the Slurpee machine.

The OP was asking about repayment for a loan he's already committed to. He bought something he's now dissatisfied with and doesn't want to pay for it, asking instead for us (even you 7-11 workers) to absorb the cost and let him skate. Can we take his education back? Short of a lobotomy, no.

The question had been posed and not yet answered, what is the OP's degree in? Humanities? Social work? Black History? If the answer is yes to any of these, he/she is lucky to even be working at Starbuck's.

Posted by: toughlucker ()
Date: April 20, 2014 09:11PM

To above- He's asking a question that He already knows the answer to, He's just venting. Should we tell him that He just paid into the next purposely created bubble meant to dismantle the middle class? I mean, they were always useless and their self-esteem just gets so absurdly high.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 20, 2014 09:29PM

Student loans are granted based on the cost of post high school education, not based on the potential earning capacity of the student when he or she graduates. If you use loans to finance the entire cost of a four year degree, chances are you won't make anywhere near enough money in your first five years of work to pay off that student loan and still have enough money to meet your costs of living. If you need a graduate degree it gets even worse. In addition the ready availability of student loans has allowed college costs to spiral upwards at a far greater rate, making college less affordable.

Student loan forgiveness may help those with existing loans, but it does nothing to solve the underlying problem.

Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: April 20, 2014 09:36PM

You have to be a complete fucking useless dipshit to not be able to keep a job making at LEAST 30-40K in this area even without any experience or degrees, given you can speak English and push the power button on a computer.

OP, you're a fucking douchebag, shut your fucking face.

Date: April 20, 2014 09:53PM

This just in ...

Many people work 'temp' jobs - one after another as a permanent way of life.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/many-americans-temp-work-becomes-permanent-way-life-n81071

Posted by: Real World ()
Date: April 20, 2014 10:21PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Student loan forgiveness may help those with
> existing loans, but it does nothing to solve the
> underlying problem.

There's no basis for student loan forgiveness. As a taxpayer, why should I bear the burden of his bad career or education choices? The underlying problem is the inability of students to make wise choices in a field of study. If you want to correct this, eliminate the bullshit majors as listed in a few posts above. We don't need poets and dreamers, we need professionals capable of producing and competing in the world market.

OP needs to get a second or third job until we the taxpayers are paid back. And stop whining, we don't care.

Posted by: libs hate America ()
Date: April 20, 2014 10:31PM

Liberal agencies like the department of education and policies such as obamacare have fucked students. You libtardz get what you deserve.

Posted by: Confuzed ()
Date: April 20, 2014 10:32PM

GMU 2008 Wrote:
> I have not been able to stay employed since I
> graduated from GMU. I declared bankruptcy but they
> would not let me discharge my huge student loan
> debt. This is bullshit because I got a crappy
> education and cant keep a real job. I am working
> at Starbucks and living with my Mom and Step-dad.
> The student loan payments take up 40% of my take
> home pay.
> They bailed out banks and car companies, what
> about me? This sucks.

The only one to blame for your 'crappy' education is you - college is what you make of it....

Let hypothesize on some of your college choices:

- Picked a useless, easy major like marketing or finance

- When signing up for classes you went to ratemyprofessor.com and found all the easy profs

- Signed up for brainless electives

To summarize - you did the bare minimum to get through GMU, didn't think meaningfully of after graduation plans, and expected your worthless diploma and careerbuilder.com to land you a meaningful career.....

Allow me to borrow an old cliche: you reap what you sow...

you should be ashamed to suggest the rest of the country should repay the debts you incurred to waste your time at GMU.....enjoy Starbucks and mom+dad's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2014 10:33PM by Confuzed.

Posted by: GOP Knowledge Bank ()
Date: April 20, 2014 10:40PM

Sorry, but you college students need to bail out the GOP Government, because the GOP Government bailed out the corporations that blew up the economy and never sought just and appropriate restitution.

You own what the GOP produced in terms of results.

Sucks to be you.

The GOP gave your jobs away by financing a decade of tax cuts for the 1% that apparently didn't and never will trickle down to you - ergo shitty economy, retarded economic recovery, slow job growth, no surplus or stimulus money from the Government to help you out, and absolutely no extension of long-term unemployment benefits.

You fucked up. You trusted the GOP. They never delivered on their promises - AGAIN!

The GOP started two great big decade long wars and refused to pass legislation or collect taxes to pay for them - so it's up to you to pay for those wars and to pay for your education. Sucker!

You fucked up.

You trusted the GOP.

Where is the WMD?

Where are the jobs and trickle down economic benefits from a decade of tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans?

They never existed.

They are a fiction.

Your student debt is not a fiction. It will never go away. Just like the lies and bullshit that the GOP has foisted upon the American Political and Economic Landscape.

Go see the North/South Pole, visit every major Glacier area on the planet. The GOP will tell you Climate change is a hoax, just like tax breaks for the wealthiest will trickle down.

Date: April 20, 2014 10:53PM

GOP Knowledge Bank Wrote:
> Sorry, but you college students need to bail out
> the GOP Government, because the GOP Government
> bailed out the corporations that blew up the
> economy and never sought just and appropriate
> restitution.
>
> You own what the GOP produced in terms of results.
>
>
> Sucks to be you.
>
> The GOP gave your jobs away by financing a decade
> of tax cuts for the 1% that apparently didn't and
> never will trickle down to you - ergo shitty
> economy, retarded economic recovery, slow job
> growth, no surplus or stimulus money from the
> Government to help you out, and absolutely no
> extension of long-term unemployment benefits.
>
> You fucked up. You trusted the GOP. They never
> delivered on their promises - AGAIN!
>
> The GOP started two great big decade long wars and
> refused to pass legislation or collect taxes to
> pay for them - so it's up to you to pay for those
> wars and to pay for your education. Sucker!
>
> You fucked up.
>
> You trusted the GOP.
>
> Where is the WMD?
>
> Where are the jobs and trickle down economic
> benefits from a decade of tax breaks for the
> wealthiest Americans?
>
> They never existed.
>
> They are a fiction.
>
> Your student debt is not a fiction. It will never
> go away. Just like the lies and bullshit that the
> GOP has foisted upon the American Political and
> Economic Landscape.
>
> Go see the North/South Pole, visit every major
> Glacier area on the planet. The GOP will tell you
> Climate change is a hoax, just like tax breaks for
> the wealthiest will trickle down.

Posted by: You bought it, pay up ()
Date: April 20, 2014 11:03PM

STFU and pay your damn loans off like all of the rest of us did.

Date: April 20, 2014 11:06PM

Confuzed Wrote:
>
> wat

I think we've just witnessed "GOP Knowledge Bank" run out of his / her meds.

Date: April 20, 2014 11:20PM

> Confuzed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > wat
>
>
> I think we've just witnessed "GOP Knowledge Bank"
> run out of his / her meds.

Lol yeah no joke....

but a final thought in respond to "GOP Knowledge Bank":

When OP stated he/she got a 'crappy education' - that really said it all....

The only way to get a 'crappy education' at GMU or any other school is not put any effort into it....I see it all the time - students who don't care about developing a marketable skill go to great lengths to not do any work: find the easiest classes, copy homework assignments from Chegg.com or other students, etc etc....and guess what? They don't learn anything....

you reap what you sow.....

Date: April 20, 2014 11:23PM

I love how "GOP Knowledge Bank" needlessly capitalized words:

" American Political and
> Economic Landscape.
>
> Glacier area on the planet. "

Either it was too much Easter drinking (or 420 celebration) - or typing GOP made his/her shift key stick....

Posted by: GOP Knowledge Bank ()
Date: April 20, 2014 11:27PM

> I think we've just witnessed "GOP Knowledge Bank"
> run out of his / her meds.

Oh, sorry - I must have been confused. I thought you were a business oriented fellow who cared about how we spend our money and what it provided in terms of a Return on Investment (ROI).

Where are the tickle down economic benefits from the 10 years of temporary tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans that were enacted in 2001/2002? Please just provide one metric or measure in terms of ROI.

Please provide one metric or measure with regard to the amount or number of WMD recovered in Iraq that justifies the amount of money spent and blood spilled.

Please provide one metric or measure to substantiate successful outcomes in Afghanistan that justifies the amount of money spent and blood spilled.

Please provide a cost for trying to repeal ObamaCare 45 plus times and failing to produce anything but failure.

Please provide a cost for the Benghazi, IRS, Fast & Furious, etc. investigations and provide the actual ROI for American Tax Payers.

Please provide a cost benefit analysis for the volume of time you have spent failing to win a single political argument on FFXU without convincing me of anything you vomit from your keyboard.

Date: April 20, 2014 11:44PM

> Debbie Downer Democrat XDD Wrote:
> -----
> > I think we've just witnessed "GOP Knowledge
> Bank"
> > run out of his / her meds.
>
> Oh, sorry - I must have been confused.

Don't you mean confuzed? :P

but yo - this thread is about student loan debt, 'crappy education,' and learning skills that will ensure you always can:

a) Get a job out of college so you can repay your loans - even when the economy declines/stagnates

b) Maintain a job - even when the economy declines/stagnates

You Dems never fail to politicize a situation - even if you have to bring WMD's into a student loan discussion!!!!

A recent example of shameless politicalization: Nancy Pelosi copying Pope Francis' washing of the feet(a Catholic Easter tradition); she used it as a segue to talk about immigration reform....

Rahm Emanuel taught you well with his phrase: "...never let a crisis go to waste"

http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/04/20/bozell-nancy-pelosi-washing-feet-amnesty-abusive-stunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

Posted by: Metrics ()
Date: April 20, 2014 11:49PM

> Debbie Downer Democrat XDD Wrote:
> -----
> > I think we've just witnessed "GOP Knowledge
> Bank"
> > run out of his / her meds.
>
> Oh, sorry - I must have been confused. I thought
> you were a business oriented fellow who cared
> about how we spend our money and what it provided
> in terms of a Return on Investment (ROI).
>
> Where are the tickle down economic benefits from
> the 10 years of temporary tax cuts for the
> wealthiest Americans that were enacted in
> 2001/2002? Please just provide one metric or
> measure in terms of ROI.
>
> Please provide one metric or measure with regard
> to the amount or number of WMD recovered in Iraq
> that justifies the amount of money spent and blood
> spilled.
>
> Please provide one metric or measure to
> substantiate successful outcomes in Afghanistan
> that justifies the amount of money spent and blood
> spilled.
>
> Please provide a cost for trying to repeal
> ObamaCare 45 plus times and failing to produce
> anything but failure.
>
> Please provide a cost for the Benghazi, IRS, Fast
> & Furious, etc. investigations and provide the
> actual ROI for American Tax Payers.
>
> Please provide a cost benefit analysis for the
> volume of time you have spent failing to win a
> single political argument on FFXU without
> convincing me of anything you vomit from your
> keyboard.

Metrics and measures or STFU and GTFO!

Date: April 20, 2014 11:54PM

>
> Please provide ...
>
> Please provide ...
>
>
> Please provide ...

Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD? We're discussing student debt and education. Yet, you went on a tirade where you tried to pin all of the issues on GOP politics. Then after I make a simple comment about "meds" you respond with several serious questions on me providing metrics and statistics.

Seriously. Try to stay on topic here. Read up - I've encouraged others to utilize the 529 plans in Virginia to avoid student debt to a degree. Again -- On topic!

Posted by: Mr. reality ()
Date: April 21, 2014 12:00AM

We had too repay our collage loans ass-hole. What makes you so special? Did you vote for Obama? well that explains it.

Posted by: isbs ()
Date: April 21, 2014 06:34AM

> Sorry, but you college students need to bail out
> the GOP Government, because the GOP Government
> bailed out the corporations that blew up the
> economy and never sought just and appropriate
> restitution.
>
> You own what the GOP produced in terms of results.
>
>
> Sucks to be you.
>
> The GOP gave your jobs away by financing a decade
> of tax cuts for the 1% that apparently didn't and
> never will trickle down to you - ergo shitty
> economy, retarded economic recovery, slow job
> growth, no surplus or stimulus money from the
> Government to help you out, and absolutely no
> extension of long-term unemployment benefits.
>
> You fucked up. You trusted the GOP. They never
> delivered on their promises - AGAIN!
>
> The GOP started two great big decade long wars and
> refused to pass legislation or collect taxes to
> pay for them - so it's up to you to pay for those
> wars and to pay for your education. Sucker!
>
> You fucked up.
>
> You trusted the GOP.
>
> Where is the WMD?
>
> Where are the jobs and trickle down economic
> benefits from a decade of tax breaks for the
> wealthiest Americans?
>
> They never existed.
>
> They are a fiction.
>
> Your student debt is not a fiction. It will never
> go away. Just like the lies and bullshit that the
> GOP has foisted upon the American Political and
> Economic Landscape.
>
> Glacier area on the planet. The GOP will tell you
> Climate change is a hoax, just like tax breaks for
> the wealthiest will trickle down.

Bullshit.

Posted by: Jewh8ter2 is posting away... ()
Date: April 21, 2014 07:40AM

and of course, has no useful insights.

Look, if you borrowed for college, then I sincerely hope that you got what value you were seeking. If not, well, bummer, but I'm not paying for it, bunky.

Posted by: Socrates ()
Date: April 21, 2014 09:00AM

So...You finally realized your degree in philosophy didn't mean much in the job market? There's a philosopher on every bar stool in Washington.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.