HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Real Truth About Why Republican Hate ObamaCare
Posted by: Reagan4US ()
Date: June 26, 2012 10:00AM

On March 23, 2010, the day that President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law, fourteen state attorneys general filed suit against the law’s requirement that most Americans purchase health insurance, on the ground that it was unconstitutional. It was hard to find a law professor in the country who took them seriously. “The argument about constitutionality is, if not frivolous, close to it,” Sanford Levinson, a University of Texas law-school professor, told the McClatchy newspapers. Erwin Chemerinsky, the dean of the law school at the University of California at Irvine, told the Times, “There is no case law, post 1937, that would support an individual’s right not to buy health care if the government wants to mandate it.” Orin Kerr, a George Washington University professor who had clerked for Justice Anthony Kennedy, said, “There is a less than one-per-cent chance that the courts will invalidate the individual mandate.” Today, as the Supreme Court prepares to hand down its decision on the law, Kerr puts the chance that it will overturn the mandate—almost certainly on a party-line vote—at closer to “fifty-fifty.” The Republicans have made the individual mandate the element most likely to undo the President’s health-care law. The irony is that the Democrats adopted it in the first place because they thought that it would help them secure conservative support. It had, after all, been at the heart of Republican health-care reforms for two decades.
The mandate made its political début in a 1989 Heritage Foundation brief titled “Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans,” as a counterpoint to the single-payer system and the employer mandate, which were favored in Democratic circles. In the brief, Stuart Butler, the foundation’s health-care expert, argued, “Many states now require passengers in automobiles to wear seat-belts for their own protection. Many others require anybody driving a car to have liability insurance. But neither the federal government nor any state requires all households to protect themselves from the potentially catastrophic costs of a serious accident or illness. Under the Heritage plan, there would be such a requirement.” The mandate made its first legislative appearance in 1993, in the Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act—the Republicans’ alternative to President Clinton’s health-reform bill—which was sponsored by John Chafee, of Rhode Island, and co-sponsored by eighteen Republicans, including Bob Dole, who was then the Senate Minority Leader.
After the Clinton bill, which called for an employer mandate, failed, Democrats came to recognize the opportunity that the Chafee bill had presented. In “The System,” David Broder and Haynes Johnson’s history of the health-care wars of the nineties, Bill Clinton concedes that it was the best chance he had of reaching a bipartisan compromise. “It should have been right then, or the day after they presented their bill, where I should have tried to have a direct understanding with Dole,” he said.
Ten years later, Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, began picking his way back through the history—he read “The System” four times—and he, too, came to focus on the Chafee bill. He began building a proposal around the individual mandate, and tested it out on both Democrats and Republicans. “Between 2004 and 2008, I saw over eighty members of the Senate, and there were very few who objected,” Wyden says. In December, 2006, he unveiled the Healthy Americans Act. In May, 2007, Bob Bennett, a Utah Republican, who had been a sponsor of the Chafee bill, joined him. Wyden-Bennett was eventually co-sponsored by eleven Republicans and nine Democrats, receiving more bipartisan support than any universal health-care proposal in the history of the Senate. It even caught the eye of the Republican Presidential aspirants. In a June, 2009, interview on “Meet the Press,” Mitt Romney, who, as governor of Massachusetts, had signed a universal health-care bill with an individual mandate, said that Wyden-Bennett was a plan “that a number of Republicans think is a very good health-care plan—one that we support.”
Wyden’s bill was part of a broader trend of Democrats endorsing the individual mandate in their own proposals. John Edwards and Hillary Clinton both built a mandate into their campaign health-care proposals. In 2008, Senator Ted Kennedy brought John McDonough, a liberal advocate of the Massachusetts plan, to Washington to help with health-care reform. That same year, Max Baucus, the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, included an individual mandate in the first draft of his health-care bill. The main Democratic holdout was Senator Barack Obama. But by July, 2009, President Obama had changed his mind. “I was opposed to this idea because my general attitude was the reason people don’t have health insurance is not because they don’t want it. It’s because they can’t afford it,” he told CBS News. “I am now in favor of some sort of individual mandate.”
This process led, eventually, to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act—better known as Obamacare—which also included an individual mandate. But, as that bill came closer to passing, Republicans began coalescing around the mandate, which polling showed to be one of the legislation’s least popular elements. In December, 2009, in a vote on the bill, every Senate Republican voted to call the individual mandate “unconstitutional.”
This shift—Democrats lining up behind the Republican-crafted mandate, and Republicans declaring it not just inappropriate policy but contrary to the wishes of the Founders—shocked Wyden. “I would characterize the Washington, D.C., relationship with the individual mandate as truly schizophrenic,” he said.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/06/25/120625fa_fact_klein#ixzz1yuLJ7eh9

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Real Truth About Why Republican Hate ObamaCare
Posted by: Repugnican ()
Date: June 26, 2012 10:34AM

Obama taxes sick puppies (not to be confused with people like Jeffrey Dahmer and Jerry Sandusky)

http://factcheck.org/2012/06/nrcc-obamacare-taxes-sick-puppies/

Posted by: EricClinganMess ()
Date: June 26, 2012 10:36AM

YOU LIE!

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 26, 2012 10:43AM

Flip FLOPPERS!

Posted by: Ronaldus Magnus ()
Date: June 26, 2012 11:06AM

Jesus God please shut the fuck up!

Look at your subject line Corky!

" The Real Truth About Why Republican Hate ObamaCare"

What "Republican" you stupid ass brain dead moronic vaginal ejection?

"Da weal tooth bout why pubican HaTe...................DUHhhhh..

Fuck you. I hate you. Hopefully you'll get some terminal disease and die soon. I'm certain you are a negative drag on all of humanity. Please tell me that your "Momma" died during childbirth with the chord wrapped around your fucking neck.

It's not because of your ideology, not that you would know what that means, it's your obvious brain damage on display. God Damnit! Didn't you fucking go to school at any point in your worthless thug life?

Really dude you are a fucking hopeless idiot and I hate fucking hopeless idiots.

Posted by: OMGZ2 ()
Date: June 26, 2012 11:42AM

Ronaldus Magnus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Please tell me that your "Momma" died during childbirth with the
chord wrapped around your fucking neck.

Did you read what you wrote? That doesn't make any sense?

Posted by: Newsie Nate ()
Date: June 26, 2012 11:52AM

Republicans Support Obama's Health Reforms — As Long As His Name Isn't On Them
The new Reuters-Ipsos poll finds that Obamacare remains deeply unpopular; 56 percent of Americans oppose the law, versus only 44 percent who favor it. The poll also finds that strong majorities of Americans favor the individual provisions in the law -- the hated individual mandate excepted, of course. What's particularly interesting about this poll is that solid majorities of Republicans favor most of the law's main provisions, too

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/republicans-support-obamas-health-reforms--as-long-as-his-name-isnt-on-them/2012/06/25/gJQAq7E51V_blog.html

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 26, 2012 12:34PM

Because FOX news and their ILK have amnesia that Repubs supported it. FOX news reports negatively against it because their corporate overlords told them to. Thus its POLLING BADLY AMONGST AMERICANS THAT THE LAW WOULD ACTUALLY HELP. Because the Corp overlords fear it will cost them money. Thus the Corp overlords through their propaganda organs are CONTROLLING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 12:35PM by ferfux.

Posted by: EdRealtor ()
Date: June 26, 2012 12:51PM

ferfux Wrote:
> Because FOX news and their ILK have amnesia that
> Repubs supported it. FOX news reports negatively
> against it because their corporate overlords told
> them to. Thus its POLLING BADLY AMONGST AMERICANS
> THAT THE LAW WOULD ACTUALLY HELP. Because the
> Corp overlords fear it will cost them money. Thus
> the Corp overlords through their propaganda organs
> are CONTROLLING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

They are all part of the Clearchannel shock political view shows that are funded by Arabs and big Republican donors. Fox isn't for America, it for a few millionaires to push their corporate views.

Date: June 26, 2012 03:14PM

OMGZ2 Wrote:
> Ronaldus Magnus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Please tell me that your "Momma" died during
> childbirth with the
> chord wrapped around your fucking neck.
>
> Did you read what you wrote? That doesn't make
> any sense?

I'm so sorry. I meant CORD as in umbilical cord.

Now fuck off.

Posted by: govt slug ()
Date: June 26, 2012 03:19PM

I am not reading the OP unless you pay me, way too long

Date: June 26, 2012 03:31PM

govt slug Wrote:
> I am not reading the OP unless you pay me, way too
> long

Why would you anyway. I'm pretty sure this guy is the author.
MV5BMjMyNjM1NDU5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkz

Posted by: Correct Poster ()
Date: June 26, 2012 04:03PM

Ronaldus Magnus Wrote:
> govt slug Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am not reading the OP unless you pay me, way
> too
> > long
>
>
> Why would you anyway. I'm pretty sure this guy is
> the author.
>

Ronaldus Magnus,

Get your shit straight. You can't even post correct links. It's fuck tards like you that give the internet a bad name. You fucking noob. Go shit out your hot pockets.

Love, as always,
Correct Poster

Date: June 26, 2012 04:38PM

Problem is: The headline--"The Real Truth About Why Republicans Hate Obamacare"--isn't supported by the text. So, what is the truth? [By the way: "Real" Truth? As opposed to "Unreal" Truth?]

I suspect the truth [forget "real"] lies in the concept that the individual mandate was proposed as "a counterpoint to the single-payer system and the employer mandate, which were favored in Democratic circles." It's not that the Republicans loved or even liked the individual mandate. It was just a not-quite-so-unpleasant option, not as bad (in their view) as what the Democrats were proposing. Doesn't mean they liked it . . . just that they hated it a bit less. And it gave them some negotiating room.

Now Obama comes around to endorsing the concept. Remember, the Republicans never really liked it. And now their arch-enemy proposes it. It's a no-brainer that they'd oppose it.

Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

Posted by: Ronaldus Maximus ()
Date: June 26, 2012 05:24PM

Two Feet In The Grave Wrote:
> Problem is: The headline--"The Real Truth About
> Why Republicans Hate Obamacare"--isn't supported
> by the text. So, what is the truth?
>
> I suspect the truth lies in the concept that the
> individual mandate was proposed as "a counterpoint
> to the single-payer system and the employer
> mandate, which were favored in Democratic
> circles." It's not that the Republicans loved or
> even liked the individual mandate. It was just a
> not-quite-so-unpleasant option, not as bad (in
> their view) as what the Democrats were proposing.
> Doesn't mean they liked it . . . just that they
> hated it a bit less. And it gave them some
> negotiating room.
>
> Now Obama comes around to endorsing the concept.
> Remember, the Republicans never really liked it.
> And now their arch-enemy proposes it. It's a
> no-brainer that they'd oppose it.
>
> Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

It's not unless your're this guy

Chris Burke

Posted by: War Monger ()
Date: June 26, 2012 05:32PM

The problem is that hospitals lose money to the uninsured. What happens then is that cost is pasted onto the insured in the form of higher premiums.

Anybody who is currently insured should be bending over backwards to get the mandate past because it will LOWER their insurance premiums.

I'd love to see all the uninsured mandated to buy insurance or pay a penalty.

I'm also glad the Virginia require insurance for all motorists. That keeps my insurance rate down.

These fucker that don't buy insurance are costing us all!

Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: June 26, 2012 06:04PM

Because we're racists and believe in self-reliance.

We don't want to pay for the health care of legions of mud people.

And we think people should take care of themselves.

I don't need "government" (taxpayer) assistance? Why do you?

Unless you have some kind of chronic illness (besides "liberalism") then get the fuck off of your lazy ass and go dig ditches if that's what you have to do to pay the bills.

And even if you do have a chronic illness, figure out a way to provide for yourself.

Taxpayer assistance should only be the ultimate last resort rather than some hammock for your pointless life.

And assistance should be voluntary rather than mandatory.

I don't want a single penny of my tax dollars going to niggers or degenerate leftist White trash race traitors.

If I see a fellow White Brother or Sister in desperate need of help, then I will help them.

But I'll be damned if you force me through the threat of arrest and violence to give my money to 3rd world mongoloids and Blue State leechfucks.

Posted by: @Yucky ()
Date: June 26, 2012 06:12PM

"We don't want to pay for the health care of legions of mud people."

Notwithstanding that offensive term, you're already paying for them. And you will continue to do so with or without Obamacare.

"I don't need "government" (taxpayer) assistance."

You don't (at least in part) because you have inherited wealth. Do you even work for a living?

"And assistance should be voluntary rather than mandatory."

Good luck with that. How many volunteers do you think there would be?

Posted by: Reality Calling ()
Date: June 26, 2012 06:31PM

War Monger Wrote:
> The problem is that hospitals lose money to the
> uninsured. What happens then is that cost is
> pasted onto the insured in the form of higher
> premiums.
>
> Anybody who is currently insured should be bending
> over backwards to get the mandate past because it
> will LOWER their insurance premiums.
>
> I'd love to see all the uninsured mandated to buy
> insurance or pay a penalty.
>
> I'm also glad the Virginia require insurance for
> all motorists. That keeps my insurance rate down.
>
>
> These fucker that don't buy insurance are costing
> us all!

Except that Virginia doesn't subsidize the insurance and the Feds will under this model. And there still will be remaining non-payers/participants, still those who will drive wrecklessly/make bad lifestyle choices, still those who use emergency room services unnecessarily and incur the same costs, and nothing has been done to control actual costs. There is no evidence to suggest that insurance premiums will be lower, in fact, to the contrary.

Now where do the Feds get their money? Oh yes, that's right, from us. So we'll still end up paying, just with the added overhead to run a massive program and system to run it. Congrats, you win!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.