HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ernie Banks says that Jackie Robinson is responsible for Barack Obama being in the White House
Posted by: Brooklyn Dodger ()
Date: May 15, 2011 07:27AM

... just heard him say it during an interview on CNN with that CNN anchor who looks like Barack Obama.

Really?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ernie Banks says that Jackie Robinson is responsible for Barack Obama being in the White House
Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: May 15, 2011 07:31AM

Didn't hurt!

Though I'd probably credit constantly-improving communications for just about any degradation in unthinking "old ways".

Re: Ernie Banks says that Jackie Robinson is responsible for Barack Obama being in the White House
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: May 15, 2011 09:52AM

Leftist white guilt is more like it. That and the fact that beating McCain/Palin wasn't exactly a difficult task.

Date: May 16, 2011 04:51PM

Here is the CNN transcript of this dialogue:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1105/15/sm.02.html

CNN SUNDAY MORNING

Intentional Flooding Under Way; Imams Arrested on Terror Charges; Hank Aaron's Responsibility

Aired May 15, 2011 - 08:00 ET

T.J. HOLMES, CNN ANCHOR: "Mr. Banks, could you even imagine -- I guess there was a time you couldn't even imagine there being a black player in Major League baseball but now there's a black president. What was your thought?

ERNIE BANKS, BASEBALL HALL OF FAMER: It was -- you know, very unique. I didn't ever think it was going to be a black manager, a black general manager.

And Jackie said this -- you know, 1972, he said he felt that baseball had reached its pinnacle unless you see a black man standing on that third base coaching. So it begins with him, back with him. Jackie. Jackie was really a pioneer.

I think he is responsible for Barack Obama being the President of the United States, going way back there. It was before the Civil Rights Movement. Jackie was a person who lived up to all of that and helped change that superiority and inferiority to --

(CROSSTALK)

BANKS: More of equality.

HOLMES: That was a very profound statement right there. Jackie Robinson is responsible for Barack Obama being in the White House. You think people forget that sometimes and sometimes just put it in a category because it was sports?

MORGAN FREEMAN, ACTOR: It's a long string. But every now and then somebody comes along and connects both ends so that we can see it clearly again. I don't know if we actually forget it.

HOLMES: What is, in you all's opinion, my generation's or even a generation younger than I am, our civil rights struggle? Because it was so obvious -- it may have been so clear back then..."

I think that affirmative action is a legitimate debate when it comes to regular jobs but definitely NOT when it comes to being President of the United States. I am surprised that this quote did not get more media attention being how significant that it is!

Mitch Dworkin, M.Ed.
Dallas, Texas
http://mitchdworkin.com/
Objective Political Research & Analysis

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.