HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Obama's Aunt is an illegal alien
Posted by: Unreal ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:49AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_el_pr/obama_aunt

AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living illegally in US

By EILEEN SULLIVAN and ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press Writers Eileen Sullivan And Elliot Spagat, Associated Press Writers –

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama's aunt, a Kenyan woman who has been quietly living in public housing in Boston, is in the United States illegally after an immigration judge rejected her request for asylum four years ago, The Associated Press has learned.

Zeituni Onyango (zay-TUHN on-YANG-oh), referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in the Democratic presidential candidate's memoir, was instructed to leave the United States by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request, a person familiar with the matter told the AP late Friday. This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case.

Onyango, 56, is Obama's late father's half-sister, the Obama campaign has confirmed. She is not a relative whom Obama, 47, has discussed in campaign appearances and, unlike Obama's father and his maternal grandmother, is not someone who has been part of the public discussion about his personal life.

The Obama campaign declined to comment late Friday night.

Information about the deportation case was disclosed and confirmed by two separate sources, one a federal law enforcement official. The information they made available is known to officials in the federal government, but the AP could not establish whether anyone at a political level in the Bush administration or in the McCain campaign had been involved in its release.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, noncriminal violation of immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system. Estimates vary, but many experts believe there are more than 10 million such immigrants in the U.S.

According to Federal Election Commission documents filed by the Obama campaign, Onyango has contributed $260 to Obama over a period of time. Under federal election law, only U.S. citizens or green-card holders are legally permitted to give money to campaigns. Onyango, who listed her employer as the Boston Housing Authority, gave in small increments to the Obama campaign. Her latest contribution was $5 on Sept. 19.

The AP could not immediately reach Onyango for comment. When a reporter went to her home Friday night, no one answered the door. A neighbor said she was often not home on the weekend. Onyango did not immediately return telephone and written messages left at her home. It was unclear why her request for asylum was rejected in 2004.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, Kelly Nantel, said the government does not comment on an individual's citizenship status or immigration case.

Onyango's case — coming to light just days before the presidential election — led to an unusual nationwide directive within Immigrations and Customs Enforcement requiring that any deportations before Tuesday's election be approved at least at the level of the agency's regional directors, the U.S. law enforcement official told the AP.

The unusual directive suggests that the administration is sensitive to the political implications of Onyango's case coming to light so close to the election.

The East African nation has been fractured in violence in recent years, including a period of two months of bloodshed after December 2007 that killed 1,500 people.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said Saturday that he had no idea how Onyango might have qualified for public housing with a standing deportation order. He said he's not involved in the operations of the agency, even though he appoints the head, because it runs mainly on federal and state dollars.

William McGonagle, deputy director of the Boston Housing Authority, said when contacted: "I know nothing about it and I've got no comment."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama's Aunt is an illegal alien
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:57AM

So?

Posted by: meh ()
Date: November 01, 2008 11:06AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So?

my thoughts exactly
and this is old news welcome to last week

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 01, 2008 11:13AM

Hahaha. Why the heck would anyone care about his father's half-sister?

If anything, it goes to show how the Bush administration failed to enforce immigration laws.

Posted by: Treadlet ()
Date: November 01, 2008 02:44PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Hahaha. Why the heck would anyone care about his
> father's half-sister?
>
> If anything, it goes to show how the Bush
> administration failed to enforce immigration laws.

And why Hussein favors giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 01, 2008 03:14PM

Treadlet Wrote:
>> And why Hussein favors giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens.

That is a bald-faced lie being distributed by some ultra-conservative propaganda group known as the "National Republican Trust PAC", funded by the McCarthyists over at Newsmax.

A total farce.

A foolish and untrue GOP scare tactic.

Obama Aunt Illegal Alien AND Violates Campaign Laws!
Posted by: BuddyR ()
Date: November 01, 2008 03:57PM

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 01, 2008 04:38PM

The article says

"Zeituni Onyango (zay-TUHN on-YANG-oh), referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in the Democratic presidential candidate's memoir, was instructed to leave the United States by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request, a person familiar with the matter told the AP late Friday. This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case."

Since no one is authorized to discuss the case - then how do we know what is really going on?

Reagan said "trust, but verify". A whole lot of trusting here - but no verification.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 01, 2008 04:56PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> > Since no one is authorized to discuss the case -
> then how do we know what is really going on?
>
> Reagan said "trust, but verify". A whole lot of
> trusting here - but no verification.

Interesting comment. Perhaps you should have uttered this during some of the wild, fabricated stories about Palin giving birth to her own grand daughter on this very site. Instead many on here were busy piling on.

I find it highly unlikely that Obama did not know she was illegal, which is precisiely why I believe he won't talk about it. I also think it just illustrates Obama's integrity or lack thereof.

If this story was about a relative of McCain's or Palin's the left would be tripping over themselves to report the story and use it to their advantage to discredit the McCain campaign.

Date: November 01, 2008 10:26PM

I never quite understood the emotionl outcry of giving illegals driver's licenses. Its not as if they cant get a fake one...or even drive without one. This is just another populist issue designed to bring out emotions rather then rationale thinking.

Posted by: Harvey ()
Date: November 02, 2008 07:54AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> I never quite understood the emotionl outcry of
> giving illegals driver's licenses. Its not as if
> they cant get a fake one...or even drive without
> one. This is just another populist issue designed
> to bring out emotions rather then rationale
> thinking.

It doesnt matter because you dont understand anything except liberal bs anyway.

Date: November 02, 2008 08:50AM

Well Harvey..you certainly explained to me your reasoned rationale! All emotion..like I said.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 02, 2008 08:59AM

realist Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> If this story was about a relative of McCain's or
> Palin's the left would be tripping over themselves
> to report the story and use it to their advantage
> to discredit the McCain campaign.

Like the "over reported stories" of Alaska Independence Party.

Has Obama used this at every speech?

What has McCain and/or Palin bought up in every speech about Obama? Associations do matter.

Posted by: . ()
Date: November 02, 2008 09:19AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> I never quite understood the emotionl outcry of
> giving illegals driver's licenses. Its not as if
> they cant get a fake one...or even drive without
> one. This is just another populist issue designed
> to bring out emotions rather then rationale
> thinking.

I know this is just a waste of time and you believe what you want to believe, but here goes, I'll try and make you understand:

Having a fake License = ILLEGAL

Driving without a license = ILLEGAL

Being in this country without documentation = ILLEGAL

So Vince, I guess the "outcry" would be that if a person sneaks into the country or is otherwise here ILLEGALLY, why should states extend a PRIVILEGE to someone who shouldn't even be here in the first place?

Date: November 02, 2008 10:50AM

well...for safety...I dont know about you..but I want to make sure that all other drivers on the raod at least know the basic driving rules. economic...if they dont have insurance...Id like to make sure they pay into the VA non-insured drivers fund.

PS..all your reasons are emotionally based..not practical...come on...grow up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 10:52AM by Vince(1).

Posted by: Vince, still retarded. ()
Date: November 02, 2008 12:36PM

Yes, we need to get rid of all these illegal, non-insured, border jumping beaners driving on our roads.

Vince(1) Wrote:
> well...for safety...I dont know about you..but I
> want to make sure that all other drivers on the
> raod at least know the basic driving rules.
> economic...if they dont have insurance...Id like
> to make sure they pay into the VA non-insured
> drivers fund.
>
> PS..all your reasons are emotionally based..not
> practical...come on...grow up.

Date: November 02, 2008 07:35PM

all emotions...void of a single legitimate point.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.