HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why Barry Hussain scares me...
Posted by: tj2008 ()
Date: November 01, 2008 07:18AM

stop thinking left and right, liberal and conservative for a moment and think of these facts:

On wednesday night, Mr Obama stated he would tie school funds recieved from the government to community service hours put in by the kids, with a recommendation of 50 hours for middle and high school, 100 hours for college kids. For middle school this is a little more than 1 hour a week. so we are making 7th and 8th graders, 12 and 13 year old children, work at least 1 hour a week, so the fairfax county school system 'earns' their federal money. I know the school budget is tight...but doesnt this sound like extorsion? These are kids we're talking about! And he wants to 'ration' education funds, based on how many hours YOUR CHILD 'works' for the 'society'!

Speaking of funds, Obama wants a civilian homelland security force as 'strong and as well funded as the Military'. The military budget is over $500 Billion. now I know he wants to hollow out the military, to make it as much a 'paper tiger' as Japan thought it was prior to the Pearl Harbor attack. but to cut education funds to pay for a 'civilian military'? the 'cop on every corner?' yes it will lower crime, but at what cost? think of the former USSR in the 60's.

ok..the facts are there..now I know how a right-winged conservative sees them..but ok you more liberal types....think of your kids required to do 'community service' not because they choose to, but so Fairfax County Schools get their federal funds. Think of how we'll have to maintain 2 'militarys' one for external threats (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines) and an equally strong one for 'internal' threats! and you trust the government enough to decide who those internal threats are?

be afraid. It's time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Barry Hussain scares me...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: November 01, 2008 09:06AM

what a crock of s..t...his program is for college kids who recieve money to complete their education. seems the only way republikans want to assist the education of kids is thru military service...well, that isnt the only way people can serve their country.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 01, 2008 09:49AM

I do not have any children - so I do not know the specifics, but my local schools have some type of "community service" requirement.

When I was on the HOA - about twice a year some teenage slackers would approach me and ask if they could pick up garbage around the neighborhood or clean up the yard of an old person or something similar to get credit from the school.

To be fair - the rotten, hoodlum, criminal slackers always did what they were asked to do and all they required in return was for me to sign a piece of paper saying they did it.

It actually worked pretty well.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:18AM

Hahaha. You know the right-wing loonies are out of their minds when they twist the concept of voluntary community service into an apocalyptic evil.

Typical ignorant, fearmongering from the right. Keep people dumb and afraid.

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: November 01, 2008 12:56PM

FFX students already have a community service requirement for graduation? What's the big deal?

Posted by: tj2008 ()
Date: November 01, 2008 06:48PM

because this changes from a 'requirement to graduate' (for the student) to the funding of the SCHOOL SYSTEM (for ALL students!)

and before you go telling it's all 'BS'..please review the written transcript of the Wednesday Night infomercial.

This is not some 'right-wing hooey' but what HE said WITH HIS OWN WORDS.

so yes...if you have a child who is school-aged, or will be, the level of federal funding is dependent on how myuch 'community service' their peers do.

community service that is forced ceases being a service and becomes a requirement. how much longer?

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: November 01, 2008 07:30PM

OK, tj2008. Vote for McCain and watch the Republican party continue to run this country into the ground. I'll roll the dice with Barry's ideas, thank you very much.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 01, 2008 08:31PM

Attachments:
TinfoilHatsForMcCain.jpg

Date: November 01, 2008 10:44PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what a crock of s..t...his program is for college
> kids who recieve money to complete their
> education. seems the only way republikans want to
> assist the education of kids is thru military
> service...well, that isnt the only way people can
> serve their country.

Actually, the Republicans keep vetoing any bills that would give kids money for school because of their military service, so you can't say that.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:52PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > what a crock of s..t...his program is for
> college
> > kids who recieve money to complete their
> > education. seems the only way republikans want
> to
> > assist the education of kids is thru military
> > service...well, that isnt the only way people
> can
> > serve their country.
>
> Actually, the Republicans keep vetoing any bills
> that would give kids money for school because of
> their military service, so you can't say that.

Yeah, McCain couldn't even be bothered to show up to vote for the revised GI Bill in May.

Plus he was also against it.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/26/mccain_slams_webb_on_gi_bill_i.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.