HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bums Vote
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:23AM

],

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 02:22PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bums Vote
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 29, 2008 06:58AM

Yeah that's true, when you lose your job, your home, your dignity, it's important that the State step in and strip you of your consitutional rights.

That's what being a free country is all about.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 29, 2008 07:07AM

I agree totally. Who the hell is the judge?

We should take it one step further! The following people should not be allowed to register due to the fact the residences can not be confirmed indisputably.

a) Landlords if their properties fall in more than one election district
b) retired folks who drive around in RV from election district to election district
c) overseas Americans - can we really trust their "residency"
d) People who live on houseboats. Hell, people who have a yacht over 22 feet long. They are mobile people for sure.
e) People with a home and a vacation home(s) in more than one district
f) Clergy - the get moved around alot! Can we trust them?
g) Anybody with a US based (including Puerto Rico) time share

I got to go but I will think of a for more Americans who do not deserve the right to vote. Can anyone here join me in the cause?

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 29, 2008 02:38PM

I find it hard to believe that people are all for just letting "anyone" vote.

If you have no ID, should you be able to vote? If so, how do you ensure that person only votes once? If you have no residence (or fixed address), shouldn't you at least be required to show ID of some sort?

Should you be allowed to vote in more than one district? I would say no to that - if that is the case, how do you enforce that? FOr all you people sitting here having a cow when people bring up voter fraud, I have yet to see any of you do anything other than ridicule folks for bringing it up. If you showed even half an interest in offering up suggestions on how to make it right, you would probably see less of the kind of articles Alias is posting. Instead you just choose to ridicule an issue that should worry you also.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:04PM

Typical GOP scare tactic

OMG, he's homeless, he must be up to no good!!!!

What the are you people so paranoid of? Just because a person is homeless doesn't mean they are out to commit some sort of crime.

Date: October 29, 2008 03:08PM

Alias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A federal judge in Ohio has
> ruled that counties must allow homeless voters to
> list park benches and other locations that aren't
> buildings as their addresses.
>
> http://dispatch.com/
>
> A park bench? Do these park bench dwellers know in
> which district their park bench resides? When
> they do arrive to vote, do they have to show ID,
> to prove they are, in fact, the resident of that
> particular bench?
>
> Park bench dwellers are mobile people so they can
> lay claim to multiple properties. When a park
> bench dweller is filing his tax return does he
> have to claim which park bench is his primary
> residence and which is just a vacation cottage?

I thought you had a constitutional right to vote as long as you are a citizen of the United States. You used to have to be a landowner, but that was changed ages ago. Besides, many of those homeless guys you are chiding probably fought for your freedom in Iraq and Vietnam.

Date: October 29, 2008 03:10PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> I find it hard to believe that people are all for
> just letting "anyone" vote.
>

No. Just veterans who fought for the freedoms that you enjoy...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-11-07-homeless-veterans_N.htm

Date: October 29, 2008 03:27PM

So you avoid my challenge with more accusations.

I am not for denying anyone who is obviously a citizen (or can prove it in the case they are not so obvious) the ability to vote. Whether they have an address or not - they just need to be able to show they are legit. Again, any constructive ideas on how to make that happen other than just saying "Well, you exist, therefore you can vote - who cares whether you are legal or not"?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:36PM

As I understand it, the rule across the boards is that you need to prove that you're eligible to vote through residency and identification. If they have no residence, but do have identification, I think it's fair to give even the less fortunate an opportunity to vote. Not having an address shouldn't preclude a US citizen from voting. Not being able to prove you are a US citizen should.

The voter fraud potential from the homeless community is more than likely far less than the illegal immigrant potential. Chances are, the homeless that don't have identification are the crazy ones that walk around muttering to themselves and yelling at the squirrels, and probably don't care about voting anyway.

Date: October 29, 2008 03:56PM

True - the problem though is cases like that article I posted a while back where some ladies mother had voted in the last primary, even though she was dead. The election workers recorded her as showing up and voting nonetheless.

A National ID with instant verification is the way to go. Like a card swipe VISA/MC so that it can be proven first off who you are, and then whether or not you have already voted. If it shows you have voted, then you should still be allowed to record a vote - just there should be some form of reconciliation with the state and the federal ID to figure out why there was more than one vote, and which one is correct.

We can use credit cards every day, and seldom do those foul up to where you cannot use them. Or maybe even biometric based on finger prints, or eye scans or something. Seriously. Much as I hate the thought of big brother, for voting I think it is almost essential.

Date: October 29, 2008 04:17PM

If it were up to me, I'd issue a "voting voucher" when someone files an income tax return. The IRS doesn't fuck around with their records (until it's time to issue stimulus payments), and if you don't pay, you don't play.

I know, I know, the people that don't file their income taxes are still US citizens, but else can you completely eliminate voter fraud in a country of 300 million plus people? I'm also slightly irritated by people that pick and choose when to be a citizen.

Date: October 29, 2008 04:21PM

All of which of course requires a Social Security Number. Ponder.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: October 29, 2008 05:06PM

listen little boys...voter fraud..the type where someone walks in and pretends to be someone they are not is miniscule...and has never impacted an election. sucessful manipulation of votes is done either before or after the vote...either by intimidating people not to vote (a typical republikan ploy)...or causing the election process in areas you dont want to vote to be a horribly long process...or by out right fraud by the election officers (as in the case of florida). so please stop worrying about acorn...and homeless people voting....worry about your own party who if they could figure out how to steal this election...they would!

Date: October 29, 2008 05:10PM

True, no worries here - the electronic voter machines will do all the "corrections" to the votes.

:)

Date: October 29, 2008 05:49PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> listen little boys...voter fraud..the type where
> someone walks in and pretends to be someone they
> are not is miniscule...and has never impacted an
> election.

Except when republicans do it, then it seems like a big fuckin' deal. It's OK when democrats do it, though, I'm sure.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.