HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Republican Ted Stevens Found Guilty
Posted by: Ted Stevens is a Convicted FELON! ()
Date: October 27, 2008 11:11PM

Yet another Republican fraud.....his own best friend testified against him!! LOL.

WASHINGTON – Ted Stevens, a pillar of the Senate for 40 years and the face of Alaska politics almost since statehood, was convicted of a seven-felony string of corruption charges Monday — found guilty of accepting a bonanza of home renovations and fancy trimmings from an oil executive and then lying about it.

The jury — itself a daily drama, trying to expel one of its own members — convicted Stevens of all the felony charges he faced, accusations based heavily on the testimony of a wealthy oil contractor who for years had been a fishing and drinking buddy.

Visibly shaken after the verdicts were read — the jury foreman declaring "guilty" seven times — Stevens tried to intertwine his fingers but quickly put his hands down to his side after noticing they were trembling. As he left the courtroom, he got a quick kiss on the cheek from his wife, Catherine, who testified on his behalf during the trial.

Stevens faces up to five years in prison on each count when he is sentenced, but under federal guidelines he is likely to receive much less time, if any. The judge did not immediately set a sentencing date.

The monthlong trial revealed that employees for VECO Corp., an oil services company, transformed Stevens' modest Alaska mountain cabin into a modern, two-story home with wraparound porches, a sauna and a wine cellar.

Stevens said he had no idea he was getting freebies. He said his wife handled the business of the renovation. He said he paid $160,000 for the project and believed that covered everything.

Stevens' conviction hinged on the testimony of Bill Allen, the senator's longtime friend and the founder of VECO. He testified he never billed Stevens for the work on the house and the senator knew he was getting a special deal.

Prosecutors used a barrage of witnesses to question how Stevens could have been in the dark about VECO's work on the project. VECO employees testified to seeing Stevens at the house. One left him a company business card. Stevens sent thank you notes to others.

Stevens' conviction is the highlight of a lengthy FBI investigation into Alaska corruption, but prosecutors noted that it is not the end. Stevens' longtime Republican colleague, Rep. Don Young, remains under investigation for his ties to VECO. Stevens' son, Ben, a former Alaska lawmaker, is also under investigation.

Stevens is the fifth senator convicted of criminal charges. The last previous one was Republican David Durenberger of Minnesota, who was indicted in 1993 on charges of conspiring to make fraudulent claims for Senate reimbursement of $3,825 in lodging expenses. He later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges and was sentenced to one year of probation and a $1,000 fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Republican Ted Stevens Found Guilty
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: October 28, 2008 03:13AM

Makes you wonder why the FBI under a Republican administration, a Republican appointed DOJ leadership, went after this guy.

Usually, when a dem is in office, they go after republican politicians, and when a republican is in office, they go after dem politicians.

I wonder who Ted pissed off, or threatened. He obviously did something that caused his own to go after him. I mean other than his crimes. Every politician is guilty of something if you dig deep enough and sell it the right way. They only get investigated when it is politically beneficial to someone.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 28, 2008 06:03AM

Prison isn't a building with bars, it's more like a series of cubes!

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: October 28, 2008 06:15AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prison isn't a building with bars, it's more like
> a series of cubes!

Good one.

This is what I could Imagine Ted saying to himself:

"A sentence of life in prison isn't really 'life in prison' if you're already older than dirt. At my age, I'm lucky if I get 5 years in prison."

I wonder if the series of tubes will survive without him. I also wonder how safe that one specific "tube" of his is going to be once he gets into the genpop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 06:17AM by Bob.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 28, 2008 10:25AM

Prison is not a truck that you can just keep dumping Republican felons into.

Posted by: GOP Train Wreck ()
Date: October 28, 2008 10:27AM

What a terrible thing to happen to the Republicans right before the election, even for Alaska no less. This will clearly open the the door for the Dems to deliver the death blow to the GOP once and for all. I say, good riddance to the GOP and hello to no GOP filibusters.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 28, 2008 11:32AM

This would probably explain it:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2007/02/jefferson_gets_homeland_securi.html

Rep. William Jefferson, the Louisiana Democrat who's facing an ongoing federal corruption probe, is being granted a spot on the Homeland Security Committee, according to Democratic aides.

If this guy can hold off the FBI on a corruption probe where he has $90000 stashed in his freezer, you know it isn't gonna go well for Republicans.

Posted by: GOP the Old News Party ()
Date: October 28, 2008 11:46AM

Old news. Stevens happened yesterday. Get with the times.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: October 28, 2008 03:04PM

Bob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I wonder who Ted pissed off, or threatened. He
> obviously did something that caused his own to go
> after him. I mean other than his crimes. Every
> politician is guilty of something if you dig deep
> enough and sell it the right way. They only get
> investigated when it is politically beneficial to
> someone.

His name came out when Abramoff was "cooperating,"then the DOJ was required by law to go after Stevens. Don't you read the newspapers?

Posted by: Veco Home Improvement - FREE ()
Date: October 29, 2008 04:14PM

Wow. Here comes the filibuster-proof Senate. McCain asked Stevens to step down immediately again today. Two independent studies have Dems picking up 7-9 seats in Senate. With Dole now lagging in NC and Stevens under fire, the Dems will be in full control. Republicans - not so much.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 29, 2008 04:19PM

I sense a Democratic orgasm building.

Posted by: Righty Tighties ()
Date: October 29, 2008 04:35PM

And I sense robust sales of erectile dysfuction meds due to the overwhelming demand by Republicans. Bob Dole agrees (especially after Elizabeth is sent packing home) and Warren Buffet has Pfizer at a strong buy.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.