HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why I am Voting for Obama
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: October 25, 2008 03:09AM

]=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 02:08PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why I am Voting for Obama
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: October 25, 2008 03:49AM

Obviously Obama has been taking Eisenhower's warnings seriously.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 25, 2008 04:48AM

not weaponizing space? that's fine... if you want to be vaporized by supervillians like me. linux runs on everything, including my brain lasers.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: October 25, 2008 04:51AM

Shit.

Now I'm voting for Steve the super villain.

Date: October 25, 2008 09:51AM

Bob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Obviously Obama has been taking Eisenhower's
> warnings seriously.
>
>

The Republicans like RV love to quote the Founding Fathers like they were a bunch of authoritarian Christian zealots. The Founding Fathers did not believe in having a large, permanent, standing army because they realized the threat it would pose to Democracy. Contrary to that, today's Republicans would be perfectly happy if a radically Christian military junta had control of our country. Why do Republicans hate our freedoms as much as Al Qaeda does?

Posted by: McCane ()
Date: October 25, 2008 12:04PM

Because we know how to protect you doofuses (doofi?)

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: October 25, 2008 01:51PM

Most of our founding fathers considered themselves as men of reason in the age of reason. Oh how far we have fallen!

The Age of Reason presents common deistic arguments; for example, it highlights the corruption of the Christian Church and criticizes its efforts to acquire political power. Paine advocates reason in the place of revelation, leading him to reject miracles and to view the Bible as an ordinary piece of literature rather than as a divinely inspired text. The Age of Reason is not atheistic, but Deistic: it promotes natural religion and argues for a creator-God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 01:52PM by Vince(1).

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 25, 2008 02:06PM

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

- Thomas Paine

Posted by: BigDog ()
Date: October 25, 2008 02:50PM

As is always the case WashingToneLocian, who has had his head up his ass for soooo long and has come down with SFB, has got it all wrong. The reason for the Federal government is for the protection of the citizens of this country. The Federal government was not setup to have anything to do with education, transportation, communication, foreign aid, housing, taxation, medical, investments, space exploration, or any of the BULL SHIT entitlement programs that have been established. Because of all the crapola that has come from the left, taxes just keep going up. Even now with the economy the way it is, the democraps want to raises taxes. If we could get back to the Federal government the Founding Fathers wanted, this country would be better off. As far as the "radically Christian military junta" is concerned, I don't know where you came up with that. Maybe pulling your head out for some fresh air would help you think straight. And as far as the Founding Fathers views on the threat to our Representative Republic, that is the reason we have a second amendment!

Posted by: turnip ()
Date: October 25, 2008 03:02PM

Natl_Debt_Chart.jpg

Date: October 25, 2008 06:57PM

]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 02:24PM by Alias.

Posted by: turnip ()
Date: October 25, 2008 07:08PM

Alias Wrote:
> Turnip,
>
> No doubt the current administration has spent too
> much and, in general, Republicans need to rethink
> their fiscal policies and positions.
>
> Here's a site, a conservative blog, which offers a
> graph illustrating the spending trends along with
> the revenue trends.
>
>
> http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:l08tuvd9kv8J:
> www.qando.net/details.aspx%3FEntry%3D5653+graphs%2
> Bdemocrats+and+republicans%2Brevenue%2Bspending&hl
> =en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Nice link. The motto should be changed:

Democrats : Tax & Spend
Republicans : Spend

Date: October 25, 2008 07:31PM

;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 02:05PM by Alias.

Date: October 25, 2008 07:50PM

k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 06:56PM by Alias.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: October 25, 2008 08:40PM

turnip Wrote:
> (insert graph here)

While the graph may be true, it is not a true causal analysis. We need to review our Constitution. The authority to spend is with the Congress, not the President. While the President will certainly have budget priorities to push, Congress sets the budget. What we need is a similar graph that strikes the presidents and puts in parties with majorities in Congress if you want a true graph that reflects the Constitution.

As for the video, I think taking weaponization of space off the table may be a mistake as it looks like a new space race is on and other nations will just do it all around us. We need new space weapons anyway to bring us closer to the vision of the Federation, with San Francisco as Starfleet's HQ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 08:45PM by pgens.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: October 25, 2008 09:40PM

I think you are incorrect pgens...what it proves to me is that the congress has subjugated itself to a more and more impearial president. Rather then seeing itself as an equal loyal opposition to the president..they see themselves as an extension of the presidency.

Posted by: Rod ()
Date: October 26, 2008 06:47PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> Bob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Obviously Obama has been taking Eisenhower's
> > warnings seriously.
> >
> >
>
>
> The Republicans like RV love to quote the Founding
> Fathers like they were a bunch of authoritarian
> Christian zealots. The Founding Fathers did not
> believe in having a large, permanent, standing
> army because they realized the threat it would
> pose to Democracy. Contrary to that, today's
> Republicans would be perfectly happy if a
> radically Christian military junta had control of
> our country. Why do Republicans hate our freedoms
> as much as Al Qaeda does?

The "Repblicans" are all using tehnique similar o the Thid Reich. Read "The Forth Reich" by Jim Marrs.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 27, 2008 01:26PM

Amazing.

When did I ever say anything about authoritarian christian zealots? You may believe that is what they were, but please don't put words in my mouth.

What I will say is this, Christianity was the prevailing religion at the time, in various forms. The legal system had been built around many of these issues for centuries - if that was not true, things like monogamy being the law of the land, and other similar laws would never have been on the books. Many of the laws we have today still stem from those roots - many have been repealed which is great.

Do I believe we should all run around and act like Christians? NO. SO please, quit putting words in my mouth, or try to twist what I say, to address your own personal fears. Much like people pushing religion, I don't appreciate having non-religion pushed on me either. The word is TOLERANCE. You folks on the left have lost it. Period.

Date: October 27, 2008 01:38PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Amazing.
>
> When did I ever say anything about authoritarian
> christian zealots? You may believe that is what
> they were, but please don't put words in my
> mouth.

I believe the Founding Fathers were anything but authoritarian Christian zealots. Unfortunately Republicans like yourself don't understand the Age of Enlightenment. You think of the Founding Fathers as Puritans. They simply weren't.

>
> What I will say is this, Christianity was the
> prevailing religion at the time, in various forms.

That is why Jefferson devised the Separation of Church and State. That didn't come from liberals in the 1960s. That came from the Founding Fathers.

> The legal system had been built around many of
> these issues for centuries - if that was not true,
> things like monogamy being the law of the land,
> and other similar laws would never have been on
> the books.

That is a dumbfounding and dumb premise. Ancient Egyptians were monogamous. Were they Christians before Jesus was born?

> Many of the laws we have today still
> stem from those roots - many have been repealed
> which is great.
>

Many of our laws are based on the Magna Carta, which came about when the Merchant Class in England decided that the King didn't have a Divine Right to rule everything. It was the antithesis of what you are claiming.

> Do I believe we should all run around and act like
> Christians? NO. SO please, quit putting words in
> my mouth, or try to twist what I say, to address
> your own personal fears. Much like people pushing
> religion,

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You have reinforced what I wrote by your ignorant remarks about monogamy.

>I don't appreciate having non-religion
> pushed on me either. The word is TOLERANCE. You
> folks on the left have lost it. Period.

I'm not pushing non-religion. I'm pushing reason and historical accuracy.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 27, 2008 01:44PM

Thanks Registered Voter- I look forward to working with your Christian agency!

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Amazing.
>
> When did I ever say anything about authoritarian
> christian zealots? You may believe that is what
> they were, but please don't put words in my
> mouth.
>
> What I will say is this, Christianity was the
> prevailing religion at the time, in various forms.
> The legal system had been built around many of
> these issues for centuries - if that was not true,
> things like monogamy being the law of the land,
> and other similar laws would never have been on
> the books. Many of the laws we have today still
> stem from those roots - many have been repealed
> which is great.
>
> Do I believe we should all run around and act like
> Christians? NO. SO please, quit putting words in
> my mouth, or try to twist what I say, to address
> your own personal fears. Much like people pushing
> religion, I don't appreciate having non-religion
> pushed on me either. The word is TOLERANCE. You
> folks on the left have lost it. Period.

Date: October 27, 2008 02:34PM

There was nothing ignorant about it.

Why did we have anti-sodomy laws in almost every US State? Was it because of the Egyptians? How about the legal age to get married? Polygamy?

Vince will like this site:
http://www.sodomy.org/government/

Judeo-Christianity and Law

In most places were Judeo-Christian cultures have settled, the Judeo-Christian value system has supplanted previous cultures and value systems. It originally did so by means of fire, sword, and death for those who would not convert, though in recent times it has chosen less overt methods of ideological assertion.

Despite its new face, it cannot deny that its formative years brought a legacy of brutality and desire for absolute control and that this same interest remains in the Judeo-Christian value system, though now absent of direct physical violence. Priests and authorities in the past and present have wielded Judeo-Christian values and teachings as a weapon of control against the masses to keep them in the lower section of the social hierarchy.

Authorities once told the masses that they ruled by "God's will" and that any attempt to supplant their authority would result in eternal punishment by God. Such claims of acting by "God's will" were used to justify all excesses and are unarguable so long as one believes the premise that authority is divine and therefore exists beyond any questioning or criticism.

In past centuries, priests enjoyed considerable control over the masses by claiming that they alone spoke directly to God and disseminated his teachings and demands. For this service, tithes were charged of the entire population which filled the church's coffers with considerably wealth. But such profit from direct access to God was not limited to that practice alone. Priests also sold indulgences for the right price which were marketed as basically a "get out of sin free" card. People who "sinned" frequently would buy many of these so that they could be assured of forgiveness by God and access to Heaven in case they ever committed a sin and died before being able to confess it to the eager ears of the priest.

Priests naturally could control the market demand by defining common behaviors as "sins" if more funds were needed to fill the coffers. It does not go without notice that many quite natural behaviors, such as sexual interest, have been classified as "sins" though no coherent explanation has ever been offered for the classification of this sin. Further, it has not been explained how God's omniscient reasoning could create humans as sexual creatures but then allegedly order them to not act upon the sexual instincts given to them.

Despite the numerous flaws of the Judaic and Christian tradition, American law often cites Judaic and Christian law as its justification. Though neither of these religions has ever displayed any trustworthy or reliable basis for its claims of universal truth, public benefit, or relevancy to modern society, the fact that these value systems are historical seems to be enough of an argument for courts to continue the application of these laws. It would be plainly ridiculous if the Judaic or Christian law which bans pork remained enforced today, yet no one considers the absurd lack of basis for other ancient values created by these religions of migrant slave workers.

When a constitutional challenge was made to Virginia's sodomy law in 1975 (403 F. Supp 1199), the court claimed the statute was legitimate and showed the State's interest merely because it had remained on the books for so long and was rooted in Judaic and Christian law.

Although a questionable law is not removed from question by the lapse of any prescriptive period, the longevity of the Virginia statute does testify to the State's interest and its legitimacy. It is not an upstart notion; it has ancestry going back to Judaic and Christian law.
(403 F.Supp 1199, 1202)

The court opinion goes on to quote Biblical passages as justification for the law.

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
(Leviticus 18:22)

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
(Leviticus 20:13)

Polygamy:
http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/marriage-marriage-age

Polygamy

POLYGAMY occurs when a spouse is married to more than one person at the same time. Polygamy is illegal in the United States. Polygamous marriages have been illegal since 1878 when the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that one of the basic tenets of Western civilization was the marriage of one man to one woman. Therefore, anyone who marries for the second time without ending a first marriage could be charged with polygamy.

Posted by: 2nd amendment ()
Date: October 27, 2008 04:49PM

> Washingtonlocian wrote:
>
> "Why do Republicans hate our freedoms as much as
> Al Qaeda does?"

Last time I checked, it wasn't the Republicans that wanted to ban most types of personal firearms.

Posted by: Joe The Plumber ()
Date: October 27, 2008 05:35PM

How many letters are there in the word JOBS?

Date: October 27, 2008 05:36PM

Is this like a knock-knock joke? :)

Posted by: Republican Bucket of Tears Runneth Over ()
Date: October 27, 2008 11:04PM

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. The Republicans on this board sure are bitter. I guess when losing is the sure-fire outcome in 7 days from now, I guess I'd be all whiny and snot-bubbly like Alias and RV.

Date: October 28, 2008 12:14AM

Republican Bucket of Tears Runneth Over Wrote:
> Jesus Tapdancing Christ. The Republicans on this
> board sure are bitter. I guess when losing is the
> sure-fire outcome in 7 days from now, I guess I'd
> be all whiny and snot-bubbly like Alias and RV.

They have this entire media machine working them all up into a lather about this. Talk radio, fox news channel, drudge report and all kinds of radical far-right blogs.

What's funny is that a lot of these people used to view the people who listened to Rush Limbaugh as the far-far-far-right crazies, but then they started watching Fox News Channel and slowly became just like them.

Date: October 28, 2008 11:59AM

Yes well, as opposed to the easy listening somnolence of NPR. Or perhaps MSNBC where Keith holds court and no dissenting opinions are allowed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.