HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Group to erect massive Confederate flag off I-95 in Richmond
Posted by: Just LOL ()
Date: August 07, 2013 11:48PM

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/confederate-flag-will-fly-along-i/article_14dcfb38-3535-5016-a110-7e786b8817e2.html

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memorial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

The state’s chapter of the NAACP is vocally opposing the move.

“It would be an embarrassment,” said Virginia NAACP Executive Director King Salim Khalfani.

Khalfani said he thinks the flag will be detrimental to efforts to attract tourism to Richmond. “It’s going to continue to make Richmond look like a backwater, trailer park, hick town,” he said.

Hathaway disagreed.

“This will tell people that everyone is welcome,” Hathaway said. “Why do we have to be a place where Southerners who are proud of our heritage are not welcome?”

Hathaway accused Richmond and state officials of excluding Confederate history from their “PC sesquicentennial celebration” of the Civil War. The flag will provide recognition, she said, for the pride many in Richmond feel for the city’s “rich Confederate history.”

Hathaway said the group doesn’t want to offend anyone, and that the flag is intended to honor the area’s heritage.

“This is in no way, in no shape, in no form to aggravate anyone,” Hathaway said. “There’s no intention to stick anything in anybody’s face. … The sole intention of this is to honor our ancestors.”

Khalfani rejected arguments that the flag is intended merely to honor the memory of those who served.

“If they had been successful, I’d still be in chains,” he said.

Hathaway would not say where exactly the flag will be located, adding that it’s not yet clear if the flag will be visible from the southbound side of the highway.

She added that the flag won’t be nearly as big as some American flags used by car dealerships.

The site is particularly significant because Confederate troops are believed to have camped in and around the area during the Bermuda Hundred campaign, according to Hathaway.

The group is perhaps best known in Richmond for its frequent demonstrations outside of the Virginia Museum of Fine Art and, more recently, the Museum of the Confederacy. The group feels neither institution pays due respect to the Confederate flag.

“The Virginia Flaggers basically are a group of people who have come together to defend our ancestors, and their symbols and their memorials against attacks by people who want to eliminate them,” Hathaway said.

The dispute with the art museum stems from the absence of the flag from the Confederate Memorial Chapel, which it oversees.

According to a statement from the museum, the chapel still features a number of Confederate flags inside, but lacks them outside, as has been the case for most of the structure’s history.

“Battle flags were introduced to the façade when Lee Jackson Camp No.1, Sons of Confederate Veterans, began leasing the chapel in 1993,” the statement reads. “When renewing that lease in 2010, VMFA asked that the flags be removed, which returned the historic structure to its original appearance.”

The Museum of the Confederacy did not respond to a request for comment.

In addition to erecting the flag along I-95 and demonstrating outside museums, the group, now in its second year, works to change legislation, attends memorials carrying Confederate flags and puts stick flags on graves, Hathaway said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Group to erect massive Confederate flag off I-95 in Richmond
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 07, 2013 11:49PM

Look for Alias, the motherless, sterile, redneck bitch!

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: August 08, 2013 01:38AM

Freedom of speech. The NAACP can bitch about it, but it's legal.

Posted by: southern rednecks ()
Date: August 08, 2013 06:36AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Freedom of speech. The NAACP can bitch about it,
> but it's legal.

It's also legal and expression of free speech to hang a huge Al Qaeda flag along the highway, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate. I'm sure all those dumb rednecks would go apeshit over it.

Posted by: dr hardcock ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:02AM

Look for gerrymanderer to be checked into Woodbine very soon after learning of this

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:04AM

They should be allowed to fly whatever archaic and irrelevant flag on any public space they want (with the proper permits) for whatever dumb reason they want to. However, the NAACP is right; it's fucking embarrassing. It's shit like this that makes most of us specify we're from NORTHERN Virginia when talking to out-of-state folks.

I'd like to see a group stage a display of the regular American flag right next to them in memory of all the people who fought and died so these douchebags could antagonize people.

Semi-related, who wants to help me get support to display an American flag with only 49 stars, because FUCK Hawaii?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: TheSouthShallRiseAgain ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:08AM

I love it. All the Yankee carpetbaggers in NoVa are shitting their pants and once again being reminded that they live in Virginia and not somewhere else.

Posted by: J J Evans ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:15AM

I havent been south of Richmond on 95 for years. Do they still have the Pedro billboards for South of the Border.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:22AM

There's been a confederate flag for years on 95 just north of the Powhite Parkway.

Stars and Bars is a stupid relic, some like it to show regional uniqueness, but there are probably enough people who want to instill racial fear with it. It's a provocative move and people should understand it.

On the other hand, why is forgiveness and the benefit of doubt always granted by the Left to douchebags wearing Che Guevara shirts?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:54AM

I get that the Civil War was about state's rights, which I generally support. However, why is this the only part of the heritage they're celebrating? Is it because Virginia has nothing better to remind people of?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Dustbin of history ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:02AM

Attachments:
555942692_MOPAULconfederateflag_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Posted by: Dustbin of history ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:04AM

Attachments:
Confederate Flag Logo.jpg

Posted by: BroadStreet ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:06AM

WingNut Wrote:
> There's been a confederate flag for years on 95
> just north of the Powhite Parkway.
>
> Stars and Bars is a stupid relic, some like it to
> show regional uniqueness, but there are probably
> enough people who want to instill racial fear with
> it. It's a provocative move and people should
> understand it.
>
>
> On the other hand, why is forgiveness and the
> benefit of doubt always granted by the Left to
> douchebags wearing Che Guevara shirts?

It's the Po'White Parkway btw. How about the statue of Arthur Ashe on Monument Ave.? Ain't that a hoot? Who the fuck is he anyway?

Date: August 08, 2013 08:06AM

Some people from the south are very chauvinistic about their region. They don't like the idea that culture is dictated from Madison Ave and Hollywood.

For a lot of people, the Confederate flag is just like putting a NY Yankees or Boston Strong sticker on their car, they like to show where they are from.

A lot of people are into visiting old Civil War historic spots, people come from all over the country to Gettysburg and to a lesser extent Bull Run, Chancellorsville and Richmond. It is good for the tourist industry.

But segregationists used the flag in the 50's to antagonize blacks. It wasn't part of the Mississippi state flag until then and it wasn't flown at many state capitols.

When it's meant to be harmless, it's meant to be harmless, but when it's bad it's bad. There's no easy way to know the difference.

Posted by: Eyeballs ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:32AM

Posted by: Virgin in ya ()
Date: August 08, 2013 10:13AM

If they really want to bitch about shit like that they should bitch about the state of Virginia observing Lee-Jackson day as a holiday. Every state employee and most county employees get a taxpayer funded day off with pay to honor men who sought to continue slavery.

Posted by: Jon Stewart ()
Date: August 08, 2013 11:21AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> They should be allowed to fly whatever archaic and
> irrelevant flag on any public space they want
> (with the proper permits) for whatever dumb reason
> they want to. However, the NAACP is right; it's
> fucking embarrassing. It's shit like this that
> makes most of us specify we're from NORTHERN
> Virginia when talking to out-of-state folks.
>
> I'd like to see a group stage a display of the
> regular American flag right next to them in memory
> of all the people who fought and died so these
> douchebags could antagonize people.
>
> Semi-related, who wants to help me get support to
> display an American flag with only 49 stars,
> because FUCK Hawaii?

You would think these idiots would ask themselves "will what I am about to do end up on The Daily Show, Colbert, or Weekend Update?"

If the answer is "probably," then they should say to themselves, "then perhaps I shouldn't do it."

But, unfortunately, they don't think that way.

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: August 08, 2013 11:30AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> Semi-related, who wants to help me get support to
> display an American flag with only 49 stars,
> because FUCK Hawaii?

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!"

I'M A FIVE-STAR MAN!!

Posted by: William T. Sherman ()
Date: August 08, 2013 11:40AM

Y'alls go ahead and wave that flag all you like...but nothing will EVER change the fact that in a little over 30 days, I burned a 300 mile long swath of the Confederacy between Atlanta and Savannah and there was nothing any of you filthy Southerners could do about it. You made your money enslaving the black man and we made it killing you. Trample the weak...hurdle the dead...fuck the willing...rape the resistance...burn it all and lick your fucking blood.

Posted by: Kollage Khidd ()
Date: August 08, 2013 12:08PM

You do know that Northerners made money off slaves too, right?

Posted by: brisco darling ()
Date: August 08, 2013 12:15PM

WingNut Wrote:
> There's been a confederate flag for years on 95
> just north of the Powhite Parkway.

Is that the one in somebodys yard over on the right as you are southbound?

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: August 08, 2013 12:52PM

Kollage Khidd Wrote:
> You do know that Northerners made money off slaves
> too, right?

I visited a old tannery originally opened in the 1700's in central NJ.

The guide took us down to the basement where there were cages with leg shackles where they used to house the slaves.

It was chilling. You could sense the misery and torture that took place there , even if it was 300 years ago.

People are funny. They always find a way to justify their atrocities, and are the first to point fingers when they see someone else doing the same thing they used to.

Posted by: William T. Sherman ()
Date: August 08, 2013 12:56PM

Kollage Khidd Wrote:
> too, right?

Yup...and that was what bought the fuel to burn the shitty South.

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: August 08, 2013 01:00PM

Instead of fighting the Civil War again perhaps it might be prudent to read a little about the first person that complained about this flag.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/the-new-head-of-the-state-naacp-warns-that-this-generations-complacency-could-hurt-generations-of-african-americans-to-come/Content?oid=1386100

Posted by: kam fong ()
Date: August 08, 2013 01:01PM

One closer but considered in the south is the slave pens at 1707 Duke Street in Alexandria.

Date: August 08, 2013 01:01PM

Equating the Confederacy with the Nazis is horrendously inaccurate. The Nazis were genuinely evil. They fought to enslave the whole of Europe while exterminating anyone deemed "unsuitable." There's evidence that the Holocaust was just the beginning of what they would've done.

On the other hand, the Confederacy fought to maintain slavery, which falls under the aegis of states' rights. However, the war was really caused by sectionalism. Regardless, the Confederacy did not have the objective of exterminating everyone unsuitable, and about 70% of Southerners did not own slaves.

Posted by: hardworker ()
Date: August 08, 2013 01:44PM

Funny....Gen. Robert E. Lee freed his slaves. Gen. U.S. Grant kept his.

None of the slaves kept in the North were "freed" by the Emancipation Proclamation.

Democrats are modern day equivalent of slaver traders...keep darkey down.

Posted by: What? ()
Date: August 08, 2013 02:09PM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
>
>
> On the other hand, the Confederacy fought to
> maintain slavery, which falls under the aegis of
> states' rights.

Are you kidding?

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 08, 2013 02:18PM

Why is it that most Confederate flag disputes seem to come down to morons and bigots fighting morons and bigots?

Posted by: GoSouth ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:32PM

I think its fine, but they should put it over at the Confederate Memorial Chapel in Richmond. People will just drive past it.

Posted by: lib fib ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:35PM

Confederate flag just shows everybody your racism. But slave ships did not fly under the Confederate flag..

Date: August 08, 2013 07:40PM

brisco darling Wrote:
> WingNut Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's been a confederate flag for years on 95
> > just north of the Powhite Parkway.
>
> Is that the one in somebodys yard over on the
> right as you are southbound?

Yup, right hand side, near a creek. Crummy looking little house with a lot of trucks and cars in the yard. Just before the exit to Powhite Parkway.

Been there for years.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Robert Edward Lolllypop ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:02PM

Lose the flag, VA. I say this as a proud, conservative Virginian whose ancestors served in the Confederacy. Sadly, it's now a symbol of hate. Lose it.

Posted by: Dumb liberal logic ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:17PM

Robert Edward Lolllypop Wrote:
> Lose the flag, VA. I say this as a proud,
> conservative Virginian whose ancestors served in
> the Confederacy. Sadly, it's now a symbol of hate.
> Lose it.

Yeah, The new flag is now Honduras/el salvador/ Mexico anyway. So what's your fucking problem with an american southern flag?

Date: August 08, 2013 08:19PM

J J Evans Wrote:
> I havent been south of Richmond on 95 for years.
> Do they still have the Pedro billboards for South
> of the Border.

I haven't seen one of those in years. What I do see south of Petersburg is all these combination rest stops/Starbucks/fast food places. Really cheapens the Starbucks image to have it combined with a rest stop.

Posted by: R.E.Lolly ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:21PM

Dumb liberal logic Wrote:
> Robert Edward Lolllypop Wrote:
> -----
> > Lose the flag, VA. I say this as a proud,
> > conservative Virginian whose ancestors served
> in
> > the Confederacy. Sadly, it's now a symbol of
> hate.
> > Lose it.
>
>
> Yeah, The new flag is now Honduras/el salvador/
> Mexico anyway. So what's your fucking problem
> with an american southern flag?

My fucking problem is that SOUTHERNERS turned it into a symbol of hate via the KKK and massive resistance. It's not liberal logic. Fuck, I'm not a goddamn liberal. But if the South is going to shake it racist, backward past, it's got to lose that flag. After all, it wasn't Yankees who turned that flag into a symbol of hate. It was southerners.

BTW, my whole family is from the south and my ancestors include numerous confederate officers.

Posted by: shove that "aegis" up your ass ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:43PM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> Equating the Confederacy with the Nazis is
> horrendously inaccurate. The Nazis were genuinely
> evil. They fought to enslave the whole of Europe
> while exterminating anyone deemed "unsuitable."
> There's evidence that the Holocaust was just the
> beginning of what they would've done.
>
> states' rights. However, the war was really caused
> by sectionalism. Regardless, the Confederacy did
> not have the objective of exterminating everyone
> unsuitable, and about 70% of Southerners did not
> own slaves.

Someone oughtta slap you, dummy.

Because you try to sound like Mr. Smarty Pants by saying "On the other hand, the Confederacy fought to maintain slavery, which falls under the aegis of states' rights...." doesn't make you smart, dumbo. And it doesn't make you less racist.

"Aegis".

Shove that "aegis" up your ass, you cracker-ass cracker.

Posted by: Tray von Martin ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:54PM

J J Evans Wrote:
> I havent been south of Richmond on 95 for years.
> Do they still have the Pedro billboards for South
> of the Border.

Yes, they start about 100 miles into North Carolina. In 2009 and 2010 it seemed a lot of them disappeared, probably due the recession, but in the past two years they've started coming back.

Every time I drive by that place it's pretty much a ghost town. Not sure how they stay in business.

Date: August 08, 2013 08:55PM

I'm sure the NAACP would have no problem if that had been a big ass messican flag instead. You know, diversity and all that.

Posted by: rolling in the grave ()
Date: August 08, 2013 08:59PM

R.E.Lolly Wrote:
> Dumb liberal logic Wrote:
> -----
> > Robert Edward Lolllypop Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Lose the flag, VA. I say this as a proud,
> > > conservative Virginian whose ancestors served
> > in
> > > the Confederacy. Sadly, it's now a symbol of
> > hate.
> > > Lose it.
> >
> >
> > Yeah, The new flag is now Honduras/el salvador/
> > Mexico anyway. So what's your fucking problem
> > with an american southern flag?
>

>
> BTW, my whole family is from the south and my
> ancestors include numerous confederate officers.

Fucking Sell out.

Date: August 08, 2013 09:02PM

Tray von Martin Wrote:
> J J Evans Wrote:
> -----
> > I havent been south of Richmond on 95 for
> years.
> > Do they still have the Pedro billboards for
> South
> > of the Border.
>
>
> Yes, they start about 100 miles into North
> Carolina. In 2009 and 2010 it seemed a lot of them
> disappeared, probably due the recession, but in
> the past two years they've started coming back.
>
> Every time I drive by that place it's pretty much
> a ghost town. Not sure how they stay in business.

SOTB had billboards in VA at one time, had to have been about 20 years ago.

The family of the original owner/builder of SOTB still owns/runs it, or did about 10 years I heard. I think I heard SOTB bought a lot of the billboard space for pennies in the 40's and 50's.

It is dead anymore, rarely stop there unless I really have to. Gas prices used to be good there, but don't seem so low anymore.

Date: August 08, 2013 09:08PM

Yeah, I stop in for any fireworks I can't get here, but that's about it. And that's only every few years or so. Seems like it was a cool place at one point, just not sure when, but not so much anymore.

Posted by: rabbit run ()
Date: August 08, 2013 10:36PM

Years ago I was in SOTB fireworks building. Some redneck, he appeared to be drunk, was smoking a cigarette. I made fast tracks getting the hell out of there. I expected to hear a loud explosion any second.

Posted by: eyes wide closed ()
Date: August 08, 2013 11:16PM

rabbit run Wrote:
> Years ago I was in SOTB fireworks building. Some
> redneck, he appeared to be drunk, was smoking a
> cigarette. I made fast tracks getting the hell out
> of there. I expected to hear a loud explosion any
> second.

How long did it take to get your Prius up to speed?

Posted by: dick simmons ()
Date: August 08, 2013 11:35PM

it wasnt a prius it was a vw bug, we have come a long way since then

Date: August 09, 2013 12:25AM

shove that "aegis" up your ass Wrote:
> Someone oughtta slap you, dummy.
>
> Because you try to sound like Mr. Smarty Pants by
> saying "On the other hand, the Confederacy fought
> to maintain slavery, which falls under the aegis
> of states' rights...." doesn't make you smart,
> dumbo. And it doesn't make you less racist.
>
> "Aegis".
>
> Shove that "aegis" up your ass, you cracker-ass
> cracker.

Hey dumbo, what's wrong? Did I use a word you didn't like?

And oh no! Somebody on a forum full of trolls, morons, and personalities of eesh called me a racist! OH GOD HELP ME!

Date: August 09, 2013 12:28AM

What? Wrote:
> Are you kidding?

Like it or not, the war was about slavery. The US ended up favoring abolition of slavery. The CSA was clearly anti-abolitionist.

The whole slavery issue was considered a manner of states' rights, and the Crittenden Compromise only reinforced that. Remember, we had a system of dual federalism, whereas we now have one of cooperative federalism.

Posted by: everyone but me, is a racist ()
Date: August 09, 2013 01:15AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> shove that "aegis" up your ass Wrote:
> -----
> > Someone oughtta slap you, dummy.
> >
> > Because you try to sound like Mr. Smarty Pants
> by
> > saying "On the other hand, the Confederacy
> fought
> > to maintain slavery, which falls under the
> aegis
> > of states' rights...." doesn't make you smart,
> > dumbo. And it doesn't make you less racist.
> >
> > "Aegis".
> >
> > Shove that "aegis" up your ass, you cracker-ass
> > cracker.
>
> Hey dumbo, what's wrong? Did I use a word you
> didn't like?
>
> And oh no! Somebody on a forum full of trolls,
> morons, and personalities of eesh called me a
> racist! OH GOD HELP ME!

LOL

You disagreed with the liberals, the "tolerance" police.

Date: August 09, 2013 02:02AM

everyone but me, is a racist Wrote:
> You disagreed with the liberals, the "tolerance"
> police.

Of course I did. The funniest thing is... I'm a Democrat. Not a liberal one, but a Democrat nonetheless. Also, they're not too tolerant either. Look at Gerry's remarks in the Hillary thread.

Posted by: Reince Priebus, RNC Chairman ()
Date: August 09, 2013 02:10AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> everyone but me, is a racist Wrote:
> -----
> > You disagreed with the liberals, the
> "tolerance"
> > police.
>
> Of course I did. The funniest thing is... I'm a
> Democrat. Not a liberal one, but a Democrat
> nonetheless. Also, they're not too tolerant
> either. Look at Gerry's remarks in the Hillary
> thread.

What's stopping you from making the transition?

Date: August 09, 2013 02:28AM

Reince Priebus, RNC Chairman Wrote:
> What's stopping you from making the transition?

While I agree with the Republicans on some social issues, I don't frequently agree with them on financial issues. I think the whole idea of "trickle down economics" is fundamentally flawed. While nobody likes to pay taxes, an increase in taxes combined with wise spending cuts would go a long way towards reducing the deficit and debt. Also, I support the fundamental goals of groups like OWS, but I strongly disagree with the ways in which they try to achieve them. There are far better ways to bring about lasting change than camping out in McPherson Square.

I hate Obama, but decided that Romney would be a greater evil (Medicare vouchers weren't a good idea, and neither is the austerity approach). I can't stand how Obama tries to make everything an "us vs. them" thing, which is one of the many things I hate about Obama.

I can't vote for Cuccinelli in good conscious, knowing that he may very well destroy the public health system in Virginia. While I think abortion is morally wrong, I think women have a right to do what they want with their bodies- within reason. I think that many women use abortion as a form of birth control, which is sad.

Another reason I stay a Democrat is so I can help to counteract the ridiculous liberal agenda that some are now pushing. I'm a Conservative Democrat, or a Blue Dog. There aren't too many of us left. Hopefully, however, times will change.

Posted by: the money tree ()
Date: August 09, 2013 02:34AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> everyone but me, is a racist Wrote:
> -----
> > You disagreed with the liberals, the
> "tolerance"
> > police.
>
> Of course I did. The funniest thing is... I'm a
> Democrat. Not a liberal one, but a Democrat
> nonetheless. Also, they're not too tolerant
> either. Look at Gerry's remarks in the Hillary
> thread.

I'm more of a Libertarian, but was once a proud registered Democrat, back in the day, when I didn't understand where government got its funding. I guess I thought it had money trees, growing behind the Capitol.

Posted by: The Actual Facts ()
Date: August 09, 2013 04:29AM

Wrong again as usuall Idiot

Posted by: pedro sez ()
Date: August 09, 2013 04:43AM

This thread iz getting hijacked!
Attachments:
sotb.jpg

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: August 09, 2013 10:08AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
>
>
> states' rights.

It became very trendy in select academic and non-academic circles a few years back to suggest the south fought for – way of life, economics, state’s rights, you name it…anything but slavery. A lot of well meaning CSA apologists liked this argument and it does have a nice ring to it. It is a seductive idea. But really, any of those things, when you boil it down – leads to maintaining slavery. State’s rights – which right? – slavery. Economic system…based on – slavery. Way of life…supported by…you guessed it – slavery. These myths must be of some comfort to many an elementary student (or those who think at that level) who cannot think beyond what they were told….or what they want to think.

I love when ignorant people think they know what they are talking about. Even The Simpsons makes fun of people who ignore, equivocate, or shy away from the elephant in the room. When Apu was taking his citizenship test they asked him what was the cause of the Civil War. Apu starts going through economic reasons. The test monitor then whispered to Apu “just say 'slavery.'"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 10:12AM by FUNdamental.

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ()
Date: August 09, 2013 11:08AM

pedro sez Wrote:
> This thread iz getting hijacked!

Good rather see Pedro than the Stars and Bars.
Attachments:
683px-south_of_the_border_sign_23_-_pedros_weather_report_chilli_today_hot_tamale.jpg

Date: August 09, 2013 12:06PM

I have been to South of the Border. I found it very kitschy and very empty. It doesn't look safe or clean. I think it'll be out of business in five years.

Posted by: Road Musings, aka Reince above ()
Date: August 10, 2013 12:48AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> Reince Priebus, RNC Chairman Wrote:
> -----
> > What's stopping you from making the transition?
>
> While I agree with the Republicans on some social
> issues, I don't frequently agree with them on
> financial issues. I think the whole idea of
> "trickle down economics" is fundamentally flawed.
> While nobody likes to pay taxes, an increase in
> taxes combined with wise spending cuts would go a
> long way towards reducing the deficit and debt.
> Also, I support the fundamental goals of groups
> like OWS, but I strongly disagree with the ways in
> which they try to achieve them. There are far
> better ways to bring about lasting change than
> camping out in McPherson Square.
>
> I hate Obama, but decided that Romney would be a
> greater evil (Medicare vouchers weren't a good
> idea, and neither is the austerity approach). I
> can't stand how Obama tries to make everything an
> "us vs. them" thing, which is one of the many
> things I hate about Obama.
>
> I can't vote for Cuccinelli in good conscious,
> knowing that he may very well destroy the public
> health system in Virginia. While I think abortion
> is morally wrong, I think women have a right to do
> what they want with their bodies- within reason. I
> think that many women use abortion as a form of
> birth control, which is sad.
>
> Another reason I stay a Democrat is so I can help
> to counteract the ridiculous liberal agenda that
> some are now pushing. I'm a Conservative Democrat,
> or a Blue Dog. There aren't too many of us left.
> Hopefully, however, times will change.

Wow, you really are a Young Curmudgeon. ;)

I'm pretty sure if you say you're not down with abortion at a DNC meeting you get post-birth aborted. I kid, but it's definitely a hostile place for that. Not that the GOP is all that welcoming these days to the more moderate folks on that issue (although in places like Maine they seem to get away with it).

FWIW, I agree with you to an extent about the GOP & taxes. I think there's a reflexive "any taxes are the equivalent of a jackboot on my throat" sentiment. I've always thought the Republican position should be the lowest rate reasonably possible to perform critical services and that the money should be spent most efficiently. It's why I supported the Governor's transportation plan even though it included a modest boost in the sales tax rate. I think there was a genuine need there as VDOT was going broke.

Posted by: southern pride ()
Date: August 12, 2013 07:53PM

Virgin in ya Wrote:
> If they really want to bitch about shit like that
> they should bitch about the state of Virginia
> observing Lee-Jackson day as a holiday. Every
> state employee and most county employees get a
> taxpayer funded day off with pay to honor men who
> sought to continue slavery.

So what? That costs the state less than half a million I bet!

Small price to pay to celebrate our heritage.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: August 12, 2013 08:56PM

dr hardcock Wrote:
> Look for gerrymanderer to be checked into Woodbine
> very soon after learning of this

Actually, I respect people that wear their colors and are what they are. What irks me more than anything and really bothers me is the chameleons. The chameleons are dangerous. The liars and deceivers. These are white proud sons of bitches. I got no problem with dumb white people being proud of being dumbass white people. Right on. It's the fuckin Jews and retarded Republicans that mimic corporate whores they listen to all day. Those fuckers are the problem.

Posted by: vinnie g ()
Date: August 12, 2013 09:54PM

My friends wife works for the state. She told me she hated the Lee Jackson Day. I told her she should show up for work as a sign of protest. She told me I was crazy, no way she was giving up a day off.

Posted by: v7XeH ()
Date: August 12, 2013 10:09PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> dr hardcock Wrote:
> -----
> > Look for gerrymanderer to be checked into
> Woodbine
> > very soon after learning of this
>
>
> Actually, I respect people that wear their colors
> and are what they are. What irks me more than
> anything and really bothers me is the chameleons.
> The chameleons are dangerous. The liars and
> deceivers. These are white proud sons of bitches.
> I got no problem with dumb white people being
> proud of being dumbass white people. Right on.
> It's the fuckin Jews and retarded Republicans that
> mimic corporate whores they listen to all day.
> Those fuckers are the problem.

blah blah blah.

Same shit, different thread.

Just STFU you little bitch.

Posted by: Numbnutz ()
Date: August 12, 2013 10:22PM

"massive Confederate flag"

er, "10-by-15-foot"

Which part of "massive" doesn't the timesdispatchobamafellate understand?

Numbnutz.

Next they'll tell us we can't have Obummer masks at State Fairs.

Whoops.

Date: August 12, 2013 11:15PM

Aww, did a hit a nerve this time? I'm sorry. How about you grow into some identity and character and maybe you wouldn't reflect my descriptions. How the fuck can you be a stupid ass Republican. Boggles the mind. At least, the very least one would deem himself an objective independent.

Someone explain to me why you're a Republican so I understand and I don't continue to deeply offend Republicans speculating.

Don't say shit like:

1: Cuz I hate dem Niggers
2: Obama phone just ain't for me.
3: I pay for your food stamps bitch, don't bite the hand the feeds you.
4: Do I look like I could learn to love faggots?
5: Fuck you, you communist bastard.

Those responses won't do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 11:16PM by Gerrymanderer2.

Posted by: ?????? ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:18PM

"Aww, did a hit a nerve this time"

WTF is "did a hit a"?

Posted by: LOFL ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:43PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> It's shit like this that

I'm from NORTHERN Virginia. I grew up in the strip malls of suburbia and I'm a goddamn fucking CITY BOY, I am.

LOL!!!!

Posted by: WjDCP ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:53PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> Aww, did a hit a nerve this time? I'm sorry. How
> about you grow into some identity and character
> and maybe you wouldn't reflect my descriptions.
> How the fuck can you be a stupid ass Republican.
> Boggles the mind. At least, the very least one
> would deem himself an objective independent.
>
> Someone explain to me why you're a Republican so I
> understand and I don't continue to deeply offend
> Republicans speculating.
>
> Don't say shit like:
>
> 1: Cuz I hate dem Niggers
> 2: Obama phone just ain't for me.
> 3: I pay for your food stamps bitch, don't bite
> the hand the feeds you.
> 4: Do I look like I could learn to love faggots?
> 5: Fuck you, you communist bastard.
>
> Those responses won't do.

Says the anti-Semitic, Holocaust-denying, homophobic, conspiracy nut. lmao

Posted by: Adolf Hitler ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:56PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> dr hardcock Wrote:
> -----
> > Look for gerrymanderer to be checked into
> Woodbine
> > very soon after learning of this
>
>
> Actually, I respect people that wear their colors
> and are what they are. What irks me more than
> anything and really bothers me is the chameleons.
> The chameleons are dangerous. The liars and
> deceivers. These are white proud sons of bitches.
> I got no problem with dumb white people being
> proud of being dumbass white people. Right on.
> It's the fuckin Jews and retarded Republicans that
> mimic corporate whores they listen to all day.
> Those fuckers are the problem.

Yeah, those god damn jews. fuck them, right? I love tolerant socialists.

Date: August 13, 2013 12:03AM

WjDCP Wrote:
> Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> -----
> > Aww, did a hit a nerve this time? I'm sorry.
> How
> > about you grow into some identity and character
> > and maybe you wouldn't reflect my descriptions.
>
> > How the fuck can you be a stupid ass Republican.
>
> > Boggles the mind. At least, the very least one
> > would deem himself an objective independent.
> >
> > Someone explain to me why you're a Republican so
> I
> > understand and I don't continue to deeply
> offend
> > Republicans speculating.
> >
> > Don't say shit like:
> >
> > 1: Cuz I hate dem Niggers
> > 2: Obama phone just ain't for me.
> > 3: I pay for your food stamps bitch, don't bite
> > the hand the feeds you.
> > 4: Do I look like I could learn to love
> faggots?
> > 5: Fuck you, you communist bastard.
> >
> > Those responses won't do.
>
>
> Says the anti-Semitic, Holocaust-denying,
> homophobic, conspiracy nut. lmao

And proud of it motherfucker. You spineless jellyfish. You wish you had balls as big as mine. You're a fucking worm. Walking around in a fabricated reality. WTF are you even alive for? If I'm a conspiracy nut, well then, you're living a dream. A fabricated fantasy, not for me buddy. That's for people that don't care and are too stupid to deal with reality.

You stupid fucks are not equivalent to some dog shit caught in between the crevices of my shoes. You should absorb and appreciate every word I just so happen to gift you pathetic worthless beings with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 12:10AM by Gerrymanderer2.

Posted by: Gerry = Jerry = Nazi ()
Date: August 13, 2013 12:14AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:

> > Says the anti-Semitic, Holocaust-denying,
> > homophobic, conspiracy nut. lmao
>
>
> And proud of it motherfucker. You spineless
> jellyfish. You wish you had balls as big as mine.
> You're a fucking worm. Walking around in a
> fabricated reality. WTF are you even alive for?
> If I'm a conspiracy nut, well then, you're living
> a dream. A fabricated fantasy, not for me buddy.
> That's for people that don't care and are too
> stupid to deal with reality.
>
> You stupid fucks are not equivalent to some dog
> shit caught in between the crevices of my shoes.
> You should absorb and appreciate every word I just
> so happen to gift you pathetic worthless beings
> with.

I've reported you.

http://archive.adl.org/report_antisemitic/asirpt.asp

Posted by: LOLz ()
Date: August 13, 2013 12:18AM

I love the fact that a good, tolerant liberal hates Jews and gay folks.

It's almost poetic.

Irony-Meter-Explode-398x500.jpg

Posted by: Gerry's Thought Leader ()
Date: August 13, 2013 12:20AM

iran-president1.jpg

Posted by: gerry1 ()
Date: August 13, 2013 12:48AM

Gerry = Jerry = Nazi Wrote:
> Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> -----
>
> > > Says the anti-Semitic, Holocaust-denying,
> > > homophobic, conspiracy nut. lmao
> >
> >
> > And proud of it motherfucker. You spineless
> > jellyfish. You wish you had balls as big as
> mine.
> > You're a fucking worm. Walking around in a
> > fabricated reality. WTF are you even alive for?
>
> > If I'm a conspiracy nut, well then, you're
> living
> > a dream. A fabricated fantasy, not for me
> buddy.
> > That's for people that don't care and are too
> > stupid to deal with reality.
> >
> > You stupid fucks are not equivalent to some dog
> > shit caught in between the crevices of my shoes.
>
> > You should absorb and appreciate every word I
> just
> > so happen to gift you pathetic worthless beings
> > with.
>
>
> I've reported you.
>
> http://archive.adl.org/report_antisemitic/asirpt.a
> sp

You really are that stupid aren't you? Are trying to threaten me or intimidate my right to speech with a report to a Jewish multi national organization? You must be Jewish. Either trying to bully or intimidate or slander or blackmail people or speak for the majority. I know Jews better than Jews know Jews.

Can you do me a favor? Report this one too? Lmao!!!!!

Posted by: Georgie ()
Date: August 13, 2013 01:04AM

gerry1 Wrote:
>
> You really are that stupid aren't you? Are trying
> to threaten me or intimidate my right to speech
> with a report to a Jewish multi national
> organization? You must be Jewish. Either trying to
> bully or intimidate or slander or blackmail people
> or speak for the majority. I know Jews better than
> Jews know Jews.
>
> Can you do me a favor? Report this one too?
> Lmao!!!!!

Why do you hurt me like this Gerry?

George-Soros.jpg

Posted by: Jonathan Leibowitz ()
Date: August 13, 2013 01:10AM

gerry1 Wrote:
>
> Jews know Jews.
>
> Lmao!!!!!

And don't watch my show anymore you bigoted fucktard.

200811-Stewart_Spread.png"

Posted by: Legg Mason ()
Date: August 13, 2013 01:19AM

Only idiots and niggers think the flag is a symbol of "racism"

-eyeroll

--I believe lizzie will get out of her recent legal troubles because her accuser is so discreditable ~ Michael J. Basl

Posted by: Jewocrats ()
Date: August 13, 2013 01:22AM

gerry1 Wrote:

> Jews know Jews.
>
> Lmao!!!!!

Hey, Gerry... Find another party.

We don't want you in ours.

220px-Charles_Schumer_official_portrait.
-
220px-Barbara_Boxer%2C_Official_Portrait
-
220px-Dianne_Feinstein%2C_official_Senat
-
220px-Carl_Levin_official_portrait.jpg
-
220px-Richard_Blumenthal_Official_Portra
-
240px-Al_Franken_Official_Senate_PortraiAl says "Fuck you."

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: August 13, 2013 10:06AM

Legg Mason Wrote:
> Only idiots and niggers think the flag is a symbol
> of "racism"
>
> -eyeroll

The flag of the Confederate Army is a reminder of selfish White wealthy southern land owners who separated from and fought the United States so these men can continue to have the right and privilege to whip and abuse human beings of a certain race and use them as free labor. What else can it symbolize?

Date: August 15, 2013 06:23AM

FUNdamental Wrote:
What else can it symbolize?

Your self loathing and obvious limited public education?

Shouldn't you be at the mall taking upskirt shots of tweens?

Posted by: Did ya know? ()
Date: August 15, 2013 03:54PM

The first slave ship in America was built by the north in Boston, MA in like 1669.

In the beginning, the North had slaves too.

Posted by: Herb ()
Date: August 15, 2013 05:05PM

LONG LET ER FLY.. Let the naacp cry on their in their chittlin plate.

Date: August 15, 2013 05:13PM

I got something they can erect right here.

Date: August 15, 2013 05:13PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> I got something they can erect right here.

Cocktail hour has arrived in Gerry's world.

Date: September 29, 2013 09:42PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/confederate-battle-flag-raising-scheduled-saturday-south-of-richmond/2013/09/28/1c3b3114-282e-11e3-8ab3-b5aacc9e1165_story.html

CHESTER, Va. — Hundreds gathered Saturday in freshly cleared woods along Interstate 95 to celebrate the raising of a Confederate battle flag, an event that stirred strong opposition from those who view the flag as a symbol of division.

Those who attended the raising of the 15-by-15-foot flag from the Army of Northern Virginia said the ceremony was not intended to offend, but to honor the South’s war dead in the Civil War.

he Confederate flag-raising was held in a circular section of woods that had been cleared recently, with branches and limbs pushed to the side. The private land was donated for the purpose of permanently flying the flag near a highway where it can be viewed by tens of thousands of people daily. From the highway, the bright red and blue flag can be seen through a thin canopy of trees.

No protesters could be seen at the ceremony, although a large number of police vehicles were at the scene. The location of the ceremony was withheld until late Friday.

Folding chairs were assembled in the dirt before a podium where a prayer was said, a historian spoke and speakers offered fiery oratory about what they said were efforts to silence their history. A rendition of “Dixie” was sung and a bagpiper played “Amazing Grace.” Small Confederate flags were handed out and water was distributed in bottles with the name “Dixie Pride.”

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: October 01, 2013 03:54AM

Vexxxed Wrote:
> FUNdamental Wrote:
> -----
> What else can it symbolize?
>
>
> Your self loathing and obvious limited public
> education?
>
> Shouldn't you be at the mall taking upskirt shots
> of tweens?

FUNdamental once told me she would stick a wedding guest in the kitchen to eat with the help, if the guest was unable to produce a gift of equal or better value to the cost of the guest's dinner.

When I told FUNdamental that I received a poem from a friend, as a gift at my wedding, she said she would have returned the favor by sending the friend a roll of toilet paper.

So...... hardly a lover of the downtrodden.

Posted by: dont matter ()
Date: April 25, 2014 12:57PM

fuck yall stupid sum bitches

Posted by: ONE nation...... ()
Date: April 25, 2014 01:44PM

Didn't the Confederate army LOSE the war? Why should we be proud of flying the losers flag. I bet these are the same people who shout love of God and country but show support for those who fought to divide it. UNITED States of America.

Posted by: gwlbx ()
Date: April 25, 2014 03:21PM

How dare they propose somthing to remind everybody just exactly what democrats stand for. Democrats went to war to keep blacks slaves. Democrats hate blacks. Now they keep them slaves by keeping them on welfare. Shit, just look at Obama. He is just a slave to a Jew.

Obama, haha haha!

EPIC FAIL!

LIBTARDZ!

Date: April 25, 2014 04:08PM

dont matter Wrote:
> fuck yall stupid sum bitches

Right on brother, fuck these stupid sum bitches.

Posted by: Peanut ()
Date: April 25, 2014 04:31PM

Attachments:
only_confederate_flag_that_mattered.png

Posted by: lib fail ()
Date: April 25, 2014 04:40PM

^^^libs always retreat.

Posted by: DC2187 ()
Date: May 02, 2014 11:32PM

They should fly this one, the ACTUAL "stars and bars". The ignorant silverbacks won't know what to do.
Attachments:
us-csa7.gif

Posted by: peter tully ()
Date: September 29, 2014 08:19PM

You no what. Your a bigot. And a hypocrite. Who says your way is the best and who says you are right. The civil war wasnt even about slavery so shut up about that. It was about the abuses of power in Washington and the lack of respect gave to the south. Secondly the union had no right to attack u.s. citizens for rebelling. Remember when those great men called the founding fathers wrote the constitution? They put in there on purpose the right for the people to change there government if they didnt feel it was right anymore to prevent TYRANNY which is what abe Lincoln was. Since the south lost we have seen the federal government turn into a monster with no checks. The founding fathers would be ashamed. Also slavery would not still exist in the south today. They were about to free the slaves anyway so they could help fight....and yes they wanted to. The blacks of the south were, for the most part, happy about their lives and saw the south as there new country and were proud of it. I am a "redneck dixie lover" that is about to become a licensed electrician and history major If y'all really want to bitch about injustice talk to the indians. Blacks aint got shit on them.

Posted by: Peter Tully ()
Date: September 29, 2014 08:36PM

I am proud of my heritage. I love the south. Im glad I from southern west Virginia where the redneck was invented. Im extremely happy to see people want to celebrate my flag as much as I do. Fuck anyone who says its a bunch of stupid rednecks celebrating niggers in chains. Im not racist (much) and love america but I dont believe america would be in the sorry shape it is in if the south would have won. I bet if most of the union soldiers came back and saw how we are today they would switch sides in a hurry. LONG LIVE DIXIE LAND!!!
Attachments:
confederate-flag-graphic.png
928754a59578c89ca8028b2a33f0842e.jpeg
sad-day-in-america.jpeg
pious+rebels.jpeg
Lee-And-Jackson.jpeg
guns_god_country_flag.jpeg
obama-hope1.jpeg
confederate-flag-graphic.png
wB4l16io0KQdwLpsZjn7InwO6sA7BwQvYhxJ2uWcT5qxJt3KRPgfOgxrKIKZg5BMt2wkPsahyj_WB5K0qHt1-zX1ke0RsO_5Z_rXf2BRFr2PL9W9l6KYLr30cFRfoTMbhFkXk1CXhNO5WGc=w482-h360-nc.jpeg
1981chevymonsterfront.jpeg
e79931f59f8a1e40d1cec40c81dc57a3.jpeg
dont-tread-on-me-meaning.jpeg
h_k_edgerton_5-237x320.jpeg
HK.jpeg

Posted by: Peter Tully ()
Date: September 29, 2014 08:45PM

To bad your a pussy piece of shit nigger thug bitch that would get his ape head crushed if he even tried this FUCK YOU!!!!

Posted by: turkey day traveler/googler ()
Date: November 30, 2014 09:48PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> They should be allowed to fly whatever archaic and
> irrelevant flag on any public space they want
> (with the proper permits) for whatever dumb reason
> they want to. However, the NAACP is right; it's
> fucking embarrassing. It's shit like this that

>

So very true. Just passed the flag today on the way back up, was thinking WTF?!

Posted by: chicken george ()
Date: November 30, 2014 10:57PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> I get that the Civil War was about state's rights,
> which I generally support. However, why is this
> the only part of the heritage they're celebrating?
> Is it because Virginia has nothing better to
> remind people of?

That's a lie schools teach. CSA vice-president stevens, in his inaugural address, stated it was about slavery. The Missouri compromise, bleeding Kansas, john browns raid, all show what was really going on. Many southerners wouldn't fight for slaveholders if they knew the truth. Slaves were the Mexicans of the day when it came to cheap labor that helped keep others out of work. And honest Abe wouldn't admit as such because he was afraid of the border states leaving for the confederacy. John Calhoun, congressman of south Carolina, kept threatening that his state would secede over the fear that more free states than slave ones would tip the congress to outlaw slavery. And we know which state seceded first. Lastly, if the south advertised the true main cause of the war, there would have been no chance of england and France helping, which didn't end up happening anyway. I had many ancestors fight for the south , and think that's cool, but I believe my slave owning ones (and one owned hundreds) knew what was up. That's not so cool.

Posted by: This s#>t again? ()
Date: December 01, 2014 07:35AM

You lost. Got your asses kick. God picked the better side.
Deal with it.

Posted by: yep. OP still faggot. ()
Date: December 01, 2014 10:03AM

Trayvomartin, still dead.

Posted by: Billy Whack ()
Date: December 01, 2014 10:54AM

Niggers too!

Everybody made some pocket money.

Nuthin wrong with that!

Kollage Khidd Wrote:
> too, right?

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.