HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Better Care ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:01AM

More qualified, better service, a resort hotel feel not white hospital walls and at a fraction of the price!

$100,000 operation for $12,000, more qualified surgeons, eight REGISTERED nurses, not some half as unregistered mexican nurse.

SEE YA LATER US HOSPITAL RIPOFFS!

There’s been a lot of recent speculation that more Americans will be taking their elective medical problems overseas. In 2008, Deloitte’s Center for Health Solutions estimated that 750 thousand Americans travelled overseas for medical care in 2007, and forecast a eight-fold increase by 2010 In a 2009 update, Deloitte found that the 2008 financial crisis devastated overseas medical travel, but still forecast 1.6 million US citizens going abroad for medical care in 2012.

Among overseas medical destinations, no facility is mentioned more than Bumrungrad (last syllable rhymes with “hot”) Hospital. Bumrungrad is a privately owned but publicly traded 550 bed acute care hospital in central Bangkok. On a recent trip to Thailand, I stopped at Bumrungrad to find out what all the shouting was about and was really impressed with what I saw.

Bumrungrad’s CEO is a courtly, silver-haired Virginian named Mack Banner, who spent most of his career in the US investor-owned sector. Though the hospital was founded in 1980, it moved into its new facility in 1997, just in time for the Asian financial crisis. The facility was Joint Commission (International) certified in 2002, and one fifth of its physicians are US Board certified in their respective specialties.
Attachments:
bumgaurd1.jpg
bumgarud2.jpg
bumgarud3.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: MSD ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:22AM

Due to damage done when I was a kid, I had two teeth with damaged roots that eventually died. I needed two dental implants which would have cost around $9,000 here in Virginia. I flew to Monterrey, Mexico and had it done for $1,200. The dental surgery center was just as modern and well-equipped as any you would find in this area and they followed all sterility and infection control procedures. The dentist spoke good english and had a good personality.

Including the cost of flying there twice over six months time, my hotel, food and local transportation and the whole procedure cost me about $3,100. Follow up checks are done through an agreement with a dental group in Rockville, MD and included in the cost.

No infection, no problems and the local dentist complimented the work and said it was done by a true artist. My smile looks perfect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: big lib in ffx ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:27AM

I dont know I prefer obamacare. First the government determines if I really need the operation. Then I get in line behind welfare cases and pay for my operation as well as theirs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: The future is bleak ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:34AM

I notice nobody is going up to Canada to take advantage of their wonderful government-run healthcare system.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: mo free stuff ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:48AM

Dont blame the hospitals. They have to charge you five times the normal cost to recoup what they dont get from the many welfare patients that flood the wards. These overseas hospitals are obviously for profit and dont accept any monkeys expecting a free ride. Makes a huge difference. Plus they probably dont have an army of lawyers waiting outside to sue for every little thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: June 26, 2013 11:10AM

Americans are using their freedom of choice to get the lowest price on goods and services? What the hell is happening to my country?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: 'Murica fuck yeah ()
Date: June 26, 2013 11:55AM

This country is soooo fucked up with healthcare. How long until the house of cards collapses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Dr Who dat ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:35PM

Because the benefit of taking care of yourself is void. If you are fat and lazy you draw a huge percentage of the benefits while paying the same premium as the guy who jogs and eats healthy. Just look at what people are being treated for, diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol and knee problems. All traced right back for the most part to being fat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Free Stuff ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:51PM

mo free stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont blame the hospitals. They have to charge you
> five times the normal cost to recoup what they
> dont get from the many welfare patients that flood
> the wards. These overseas hospitals are obviously
> for profit and dont accept any monkeys expecting a
> free ride. Makes a huge difference. Plus they
> probably dont have an army of lawyers waiting
> outside to sue for every little thing.

Well that's all going to change when Obamacare REQUIRES every American to have health insurance or be fined $631.00!!!

NO MORE FREE RIDES FOLKS!

Unless the republicans repeal the bill. LMOA!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:21PM

Better Care Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $100,000 operation for $12,000, more qualified
> surgeons, eight REGISTERED nurses, not some half
> as unregistered mexican nurse.


You need to update your hatred. Recently I spent some time visiting a friend at INOVAs beautiful Fairfax facility. Specifically in their disastrously constructed, confusing and extremely wasteful cardiac care unit.

I went by several times in a week and to my surprise, it appears all the qualified nurses that Haiti so desperately needed after their devastating earthquake..........hauled ass up here and took every position available.

All Haitian....all the time. With the exception of one young African American.

Not a single "mexican" was seen....not even as the parking lot attendant (I believe they were all possibly Syrian or Armenian).

Not to mention that people have been going to Brazil for boob jobs and India for dental work for years and years. Bargain basement prices since the 80's.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 01:22PM by Vexxxed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Reddog ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:30PM

You're crazy if you fill prescriptions in the US. Canada is half price on just about everything. There isn't the crazy insurance markup in Canada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Nope. ()
Date: June 26, 2013 01:30PM

Free Stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Well that's all going to change when Obamacare
> REQUIRES every American to have health insurance
> or be fined $631.00!!!
>
> NO MORE FREE RIDES FOLKS!
>
> Unless the republicans repeal the bill. LMOA!

No more free rides?

You do realize the taxpayers will end up buying insurance for the welfare rats that "can't" pay for it them selves?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Reddog ()
Date: June 26, 2013 04:11PM

Nope. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Free Stuff Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Well that's all going to change when Obamacare
> > REQUIRES every American to have health
> insurance
> > or be fined $631.00!!!
> >
> > NO MORE FREE RIDES FOLKS!
> >
> > Unless the republicans repeal the bill. LMOA!
>
> No more free rides?
>
> You do realize the taxpayers will end up buying
> insurance for the welfare rats that "can't" pay
> for it them selves?

There are "free riders" in the Affordable Healthcare Act but they really don't apply for most. For the majority it means they are forced to buy healthcare and no more free "emergency" visits. They can now be prosecuted for the debts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Junkman ()
Date: June 26, 2013 04:14PM

You're crazy if you have an operation done in a US hospital or buy an American made car!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: ford man ()
Date: June 26, 2013 04:37PM

Free Stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Well that's all going to change when Obamacare
> REQUIRES every American to have health insurance
> or be fined $631.00!!!
>
> NO MORE FREE RIDES FOLKS!
>
> Unless the republicans repeal the bill. LMOA!

Sure they will. See pic of nasty woman taking a shit at fast food drive thru. Ask yourself will she really pay for health care or just take another obama freebie at someone elses expense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Paz ()
Date: June 27, 2013 09:32PM

How can they even force everyone to pay for EITHER Obamacare OR a $631.00 annual fine when many of the people without healthcare don't now have to pay taxes (so, can't take it out of their refunds!) much less any Social security/medicare/medicaid taxes/state taxes etc. Maybe they can take it out of their welfare food stamp supplement somehow, but if they are not able to pay for it now, they sure are not going to start in the future!
And with houses harboring tens of non-related people most of whom no one knows they even exist, if they can't even find them for a census how the hell do they think they are going to get them all on Obamacare much less get them to pay $631/year for refusing to get the health insurance? These get their job money invisibly under the table. No one even knows they exist!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Americans Going Overseas for Better and Cheaper Healthcare & Operations
Posted by: Liberal Logic 15 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 10:07PM

Paz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can they even force everyone to pay for EITHER
> Obamacare OR a $631.00 annual fine when many of
> the people without healthcare don't now have to
> pay taxes (so, can't take it out of their
> refunds!) much less any Social
> security/medicare/medicaid taxes/state taxes etc.
> Maybe they can take it out of their welfare food
> stamp supplement somehow, but if they are not able
> to pay for it now, they sure are not going to
> start in the future!
> And with houses harboring tens of non-related
> people most of whom no one knows they even exist,
> if they can't even find them for a census how the
> hell do they think they are going to get them all
> on Obamacare much less get them to pay $631/year
> for refusing to get the health insurance? These
> get their job money invisibly under the table. No
> one even knows they exist!


They cant, the "force them to pay" means nothing more than the government will pay it for them.

Healthcare spending is going to make defense spending look small

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **    **  **     **        **  **      **   ******  
 **   **   **     **        **  **  **  **  **    ** 
 **  **    **     **        **  **  **  **  **       
 *****     **     **        **  **  **  **  **       
 **  **    **     **  **    **  **  **  **  **       
 **   **   **     **  **    **  **  **  **  **    ** 
 **    **   *******    ******    ***  ***    ******  
This forum powered by Phorum.