HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
McCains own 13 cars
Posted by: RightardRicky ()
Date: September 21, 2008 10:51PM

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/21/dems-seize-on-mccains-13-cars/

"A Newsweek article published on the magazine's Web Site Sunday said registration records show the McCains currently own 13 cars — two of which are foreign-made: a Honda and a Volkswagen. That appears to contradict the Republican presidential nominee's past statements he only buys cars made in America. (Cindy McCain also drives a Lexus and daughter Meghan owns a Toyota Prius, but neither are registered to the McCains.)

Newsweek also reported Barack Obama owns one car: a Ford Escape Hybrid."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: McCains own 13 cars
Posted by: CgoDude ()
Date: September 21, 2008 10:56PM

RightardRicky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/21/de
> ms-seize-on-mccains-13-cars/

>
> Newsweek also reported Barack Obama owns one car:
> a Ford Escape Hybrid."

Probably a stolen Ford Escape Hybrid.

Posted by: Karl Rove ()
Date: September 21, 2008 11:06PM

CgoDude Wrote:
> RightardRicky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/21/de
>
> > ms-seize-on-mccains-13-cars/
>
> >
> > Newsweek also reported Barack Obama owns one
> car:
> > a Ford Escape Hybrid."
>
> Probably a stolen Ford Escape Hybrid.

I've taught you well John... I've taught you well.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 22, 2008 09:02AM

Grasping here, STFU already if you don't have anything of substance.

Posted by: Lopter ()
Date: September 22, 2008 11:17AM

Duh, he needs one car at each house

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: September 22, 2008 01:35PM

RightardRicky Wrote:
> Newsweek also reported Barack Obama owns one car:
> a Ford Escape Hybrid."

and one personal plane, non-hybrid

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//080827/photos_ts/2008_08_26t152834_450x307_us_usa_politics/

Posted by: Mrs.K ()
Date: September 22, 2008 03:28PM

OP Two things:
1 - Your post reeks of desperation, and I say that as a Dem.
2 - Very few people give a crap what or how many cars a candidate has.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:40PM

conVince Wrote:
>>> and one personal plane, non-hybrid

It's actually a good thing John McCain doesn't own a plane- he'd probably crash the damn thing.

Posted by: but the cars are lame ()
Date: September 22, 2008 11:31PM

Okay McCain's rich because is wife's rich and paid for his campaigns and 8 houses and 13 cars and so on, but I just read which cars he has and it reads like a list of ho-hum boring cars like Honda's and Caddys and so on. If your wife is worth 100's of millions should you have at least one corvette or hummer or what not? It's like they don't know how to be rich.

Posted by: lame-o ()
Date: September 22, 2008 11:33PM

The ford pickup is his coolest ride.
Attachments:
MvO_compare_2.jpg

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: September 22, 2008 11:46PM

but the cars are lame Wrote:
> Okay McCain's rich because is wife's rich and paid
> for his campaigns and 8 houses and 13 cars and so
> on, but I just read which cars he has and it reads
> like a list of ho-hum boring cars like Honda's and
> Caddys and so on. If your wife is worth 100's of
> millions should you have at least one corvette or
> hummer or what not? It's like they don't know how
> to be rich.

If you think buying all kinds of flashy things to show off that you have money is knowing how to be rich, you probably won't be rich in your lifetime, or if you think you're rich now, your neighbors are laughing at you.

You've obviously never read the book "The Millionaire Next Door", have you?

Yeah, we have a lot of those idiots in this area, rednecks and people from small towns, probably the first in their family to go to college, and they got a decent paying job in the DC area, and now they are driving around in the biggest car their home equity could buy them 3 years ago, and they have a big house that sits right up against the house next door, and they think they're "rich".

Nobody notices the guy with a modest house, who drives a basic car but has $10 million in the bank (and maybe even more). But that guy isn't a new money fool, and he's going to keep his money, and leave it to his heirs, and his heirs will probably end up leaving even more to their heirs.

The guy in the H2 or the escalade is probably going to spoil his kids and end up leaving them nothing but destitute and incapable of supporting themselves. I've lived here long enough to see that happen too many times.

Posted by: RightardRicky ()
Date: September 23, 2008 09:25AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> conVince Wrote:
> >>> and one personal plane, non-hybrid
>
>
> It's actually a good thing John McCain doesn't own
> a plane- he'd probably crash the damn thing.

LMAO.. Well put.

Posted by: Bob Jones ()
Date: September 23, 2008 09:46AM

Hi Bob,

You really like to attack the messenger I see... You realize that "The Millionaire Next Door" was written to make little people like you feel good about not having all the accouterments of the really rich, like 8 houses and a cessna? Oh you're a better person because you don't buy into the massive consumerism like McCain and are saving for your kids to be able to pay massive estate taxes! Are you the guy who lives in a modest house and has $10m? Why hoard it all? Why not give it to charity or put it to work like described in your little book?

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 23, 2008 11:41AM

13 cars?
Just think what his car tax will be. Probably the price of a new car.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 23, 2008 11:45AM

Bob Jones Wrote:
> Are you the guy who lives in a modest
> house and has $10m? Why hoard it all? Why not
> give it to charity or put it to work like
> described in your little book?

Because it IS put to work when it is invested properly and not sitting in a Mercedes S500 in the driveway.

There are tons of house-poor people who are currently losing their houses, do you not watch the news? Buying a house below one's means is the _responsible_ thing to do, and what so many of us are NOT getting rewarded for in all these bailout plans.

And yes, I live in a house I can easily afford four times the payment of. In fact, with the market in a downturn because I live modestly I can now look into buying a bigger house and keeping both. That's putting your money to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 11:45AM by pgens.

Date: September 23, 2008 11:45AM

I like all of this stuff that is registered to "Cindy's Business." She's a trust fund baby, right? How much "business" does she actually do with these vehicles? I would really like to see the IRS take a closer look at her business deductions.

Posted by: Bob Jones ()
Date: September 23, 2008 10:46PM

pgens are you Bob?

Buying a Mercedes puts lots of salesmen, mechanics, and auto workers to work. Eating out employes chefs, waiters, and bathroom scrubbers. How is buying a second house with your additional income putting your money to work while the people who borrowed to buy more house a few years ago not putting their money to work? Simply timing the market right makes your money work? One little point of that Millionaire book was to invest money in real estate, and the less money put in up front the better the return when you sell. Guess they should change the title to Pauper next door.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: September 24, 2008 12:34AM

Bob Jones Wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> You really like to attack the messenger I see...
> You realize that "The Millionaire Next Door" was
> written to make little people like you feel good
> about not having all the accouterments of the
> really rich, like 8 houses and a cessna? Oh
> you're a better person because you don't buy into
> the massive consumerism like McCain and are saving
> for your kids to be able to pay massive estate
> taxes! Are you the guy who lives in a modest
> house and has $10m? Why hoard it all? Why not
> give it to charity or put it to work like
> described in your little book?

If by "little people", you mean people who don't need to "live large" in order to feel good about themselves, then yes, I'm a little people. If you mean "little people" as in the foolish slaves of consumerism who believe they can boost their self-esteem and make people like them by buying flashy things to show off and act the fool, then no, I'm not a little people. Middle school didn't scar my ego for life, so I don't need to impress everyone and try to please the people I feel inferior to, because I don't feel inferior to anyone.

I don't need 8 houses, I only need 6. I own a townhouse in McClean, and a beach house in North Bethany, and a condo in Aspen. No mortgages on any of them. I own three duplexes in DC with about 60% financed in each, but those are rental properties. I also own a Glassair III. If you fly out of Manassas Airport, you might have seen it.

I drive a 2000 mercedes E320, and I don't need to prove myself to anyone with the biggest, baddest, most popular name brand or any of that shit. People like that, who have to outspend everyone else and be as flashy as possible with their money are just insecure and lack the class or sophistication of people who have grown up in families that have had money for generations.

Look at the Kennedy's or even the Bush's. They don't drive the hot kick-ass sports car and live in the "pimp my mansion" homes. Hell, even look at the list of cars McCain owns. They are just basic transportation.

I have put my money to work. It is working for ME. I don't need to give my entire wealth to charity, I can give from my earnings and since I don't waste my money on things that do not add to my bottom line, I can keep on giving for the 40 or so more years I have left to live on this planet.

Posted by: WEB ()
Date: September 25, 2008 07:44PM

The 2 above Bob posts, and the pgens post rank in the "Top 5 Most Sensible Posts,Posted On FU."

I can't remember the other two.

Thanks.

Posted by: Libertarian1 ()
Date: September 25, 2008 09:10PM

Nobody, including the McCains needs to apologize for the way they chose to spend their own money. I'd prefer to solicit apologies from all of those people who borrowed hundreds of thousands of dollars for mortgages on $30,000 annual incomes as well as the people responsible for allowing those loans to be approved. Like the man said "Ray Charles could have seen they had no business" applying for or granting those loans.

Date: September 25, 2008 09:28PM

Before somebody says "oh what if you spend your own money on bringing hookers to DC from NY on AMTRAK?" I agree with you, that is bad. But, if you are legally spending your own money and you have managed to collect enough of it through legal means to have many houses, each with its own his and hers cars, good for you. Jealousy is unbecoming.

Posted by: be ()
Date: September 27, 2008 01:20PM

I have several cars and more than one house. I worked hard for them and that's the American way. If you don't like, it go find a better job or work for yourself.

Posted by: trashbag ()
Date: September 27, 2008 02:24PM

be Wrote:
> I have several cars and more than one house. I
> worked hard for them and that's the American way.
> If you don't like, it go find a better job or work
> for yourself.

Or dump your current mate and marry someone much richer. Either works..

Posted by: be ()
Date: September 27, 2008 03:23PM

That works too.

Date: September 27, 2008 04:02PM

Exactly. Marriage and divorce are private matters. Bank accounts are private matters. Sexual orientation; same thing. Save it for the Nation Enquirer.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.