HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WARNING: The IRS is using high-tech snoops to collect personal information on taxpayers' digital activities
Posted by: Nose for News ()
Date: June 17, 2013 10:56PM

The Internal Revenue Service is collecting a lot more than taxes this year - it's also acquiring a huge volume of personal information on taxpayers' digital activities, from eBay auctions to Facebook posts and, for the first time ever, credit card and e-payment transaction records, as it expands its search for tax cheats to places it's never gone before.

. . . .

"It's well-known in the tax community, but not many people outside of it are aware of this big expansion of data and computer use," says Edward Zelinsky, a tax law expert and professor at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law and Yale Law School. "I am sure people will be concerned about the use of personal information on databases in government, and those concerns are well-taken. It's appropriate to watch it carefully. There should be safeguards." He adds that taxpayers should know that whatever people do and say electronically can and will be used against them in IRS enforcement.

. . . .

"Private industry would be envious if they knew what our models are," boasted Dean Silverman, the agency's high-tech top gun who heads a group recruited from the private sector to update the IRS, in a comment reported in trade publications. The IRS did not respond to a request for an interview.

http://patterico.com/2013/06/15/irs-collecting-your-electronic-data-while-most-senators-miss-briefing-on-surveillance/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WARNING: The IRS is using high-tech snoops to collect personal information on taxpayers' digital activities
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 09:00AM

They had to do something to finance the millions they spend on tele-conferencing, stupid training videos and republican targeting.

Re: WARNING: The IRS is using high-tech snoops to collect personal information on taxpayers' digital activities
Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: June 18, 2013 09:03AM

I proudly pay my taxes. I have nothing to hide.
Only tax cheats should be worried.

I could be wrong but I'm right 99% of the time

Posted by: kjgf ()
Date: June 19, 2013 02:42AM

Lloydster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I proudly pay my taxes. I have nothing to hide.
> Only tax cheats should be worried.

you will fit in perefct when they come round up all the guns and lock down everything into sectors for the new world order of government control

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: June 19, 2013 04:27PM

Heck, you can track my digital activities by sniffing my fingers.

Posted by: Tampabound ()
Date: September 12, 2014 09:30PM

Wonder why they haven't figured out that the tax cheats are the ones living off the underground economy and therefore living the life of Riley without paying a tax on anything. They get paid on tips and cash so no one really knows how much they are making, then declare their $5.00/hr salary and get $1000 back for each house and kid and dependent in their huge extended families! No way the goobermunt never catches these unless they scrutinize all the ones making $5.00/hour as well as the rich folks. Not to worry, most of such folks don't exist actively above on the radar and may even be illegals. They may not even own computers or go to libraries or schools where they would have to have information recorded. Yet they compile enough cash to buy houses, cars etc and belong to networks within their country of origin to swap services. Again, who can find them?? So the only ones getting singed by the surveillance are those who already comply.

Posted by: Barack H. Obama ()
Date: September 12, 2014 10:19PM

We're making you safer!

Posted by: Gene Rottenberry ()
Date: September 12, 2014 11:15PM

"to places it's never gone before."

These are the voyages of the starship IRS.

Posted by: Tres Amigos ()
Date: September 12, 2014 11:45PM

Lloydster Wrote:
> I proudly pay my taxes. I have nothing to hide.
> Only tax cheats should be worried.

+1

Good point. Why should IRS or US government infringement on good American be a problem. If you living by the law of the US then let there isn't an issue!

Posted by: govt is good ()
Date: September 13, 2014 03:00AM

Tres Amigos Wrote:
> Lloydster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I proudly pay my taxes. I have nothing to hide.
> > Only tax cheats should be worried.
>
> +1

> Good point. Why should IRS or US government
> infringement on good American be a problem. If you
> living by the law of the US then let there isn't
> an issue!

+100

I'm with you guys. Some people get so paranoid. LOL

I don't break any laws and I obey the government, so how can I get hurt?

They are welcome to check out my home, my medical records, my kids, my everything, because I am a good, law abiding, reliable citizen.

2014 - Vote Democrat.

Thanks and stay safe.

Posted by: Yy7eE ()
Date: September 13, 2014 05:48AM

The IRS is such a cluster fuck I don't really fear any sort of data collection they are attempting.

What should worry you would be your local state looking into your Internet purchases to see if you should be paying consumer use tax. Virginia has probably lost quite a bit of money due to this self reporting loophole.

>"Private industry would be envious if they knew what our models are,"

I suspect private industry is laughing up its collective sleeve. Private industry just ignores the IRS by incorporating offshore.

Also facebook records? Really? Is this how you explain your employees activities?

Posted by: tkLXH ()
Date: September 13, 2014 09:45PM

it's not snooping after you send it to the cb / internet / wifi they've told you that on tv 10003293480 times for like for 50 years.

it's illegal if:

1) they tap in before you send it (ie, keyboard spying) (or into a personal device)

2) they tap in to what is assumed to be a two way call (ie, phonecall)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.