HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Obama the agent of change
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 16, 2008 04:27PM

Thought I would give this a separate thread - too much going on in the idiot Republican delegate thread... and yes he was an idiot :)

Here's a more current even from Obama the agent of change:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-oped0916byrnesep16,0,188873.story

The legislation would make illegal the widespread abuse called pay-to-play politics, by which companies doing business with the state contribute to the state official in charge of ladling out contracts. The new law wouldn't let you do it if you have more than $50,000 in state contracts, which, even at that, leaves open a nice loophole. In Illinois, this is a huge leap forward from how things are done. Blagojevich, who has reaped bundles of cash from state contractors, could be one of the pols most jolted by the prohibition. That explains why he rewrote the legislation in a way that would make it ineffective and why the House overwhelmingly rejected his changes.

Another interesting point:
http://wakeupblackamerica.blogspot.com/2008/09/with-95-of-media-kissing-up-and.html

And lastly:
http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/2008/09/best-congress-fannie-could-buy.html

This is a long and complicated story about how Obama backers were behind the mortgage industry meltdown. It hast to start some where, so lets start with a well known Chicago name Penny Pritzker. It starts with a bank failure.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case for the 1,406 people who lost much of their life savings when Superior Bank of Chicago went belly up in 2001 with over $1 billion in insured and uninsured deposits. This collapse came amid harsh criticism of how Superior’s owners promoted sub-prime home mortgages. As part of a settlement, the owners paid $100 million and agreed to pay another $335 million over 15 years at no interest.

The uninsured depositors were dealt another blow recently when the U.S. Supreme Court let stand a lower court decision to put any recovered money toward the debt that the bank owners owe the federal government before the depositors get anything.

But this seven-year-old bank failure has relevance in another way today, since the chair of Superior’s board for five years was Penny Pritzker, a member of one of America’s richest families and the current Finance Chair for the presidential campaign of Barack Obama, the same candidate who has lashed out against predatory lending.

So... McCain has lobbyists (although I believe Phil Gramm may only be an advisor now and not the finance guy), but Obama has Penny Pritzker as his campaign finance chair, who was the chair of the board for the failed Superior Bank of Chicago. Yes, it sounds like he has some good references there...

Politics as usual, and ties to even more folks that MSM seems unwilling to bring to light.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama the agent of change
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 16, 2008 07:14PM

Whose payroll are you on? Who feeds you all this crap?

Date: September 16, 2008 08:38PM

Good answer. Attack me or make a point? Hmm...

I actually do my research on these issues. I have been accused here before of not posting facts in support of my statements (when I first started posting here) - so when I make a statement, I support them. If I state an opinion, I make it clear it is IMHO.

Interesting crap I post - it seems to have a basis in fact.

Look, I try not to insult people here, just present facts as I can, or my opinion where I think it has bearing. I feel there is a lot of BS being fed to the masses out here, and much like folks on either side of this issue, I feel strongly about why I support folks. I actually have said in the past I thought Obama was going to win, and I could understand why when I had not heard or seen anything in MSM to do anything but paint him as a saint. When I started doing research into him, I found things that were not being reported, and it started to bother me. Now that Palin is one the ticket, the Obama folks come out and go, "look, they can't attack Obama on experience anymore since they picked Palin", then they turned around and started attacking her for her lack of experience. I found that an odd state of affairs and it really started to bother me. The bias on MSNBC is almost sick - if Obama wins Keith should ask to be their communications director or spokesman.

I can't help that the more they attack her, the more obvious his problems became, or the facts. Hillary made the comment one time about "the willful suspension of reality" - well, that is what all of this looks like to me when you guys are so willing to accept that Obama has put everything on the table, and Palin has not. Obama was on that board in Chicago and yet it has never been covered by MSM. Why? It IS relevant as it is a case of demonstrable executive experience, yet you never see anything about it. Look into it yourself. I would be glad to be proven wrong.

His campaign wants to accuse folks of telling lies, I say put your house in order before you start throwing stones at everyone else. You know, "...people that live in glass houses..." and all that.

Posted by: Voter ()
Date: September 16, 2008 08:57PM

I assume you have similar feelings about Fox News and Sean Hannity?

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The
> bias on MSNBC is almost sick - if Obama wins Keith
> should ask to be their communications director or
> spokesman.
>

Date: September 16, 2008 09:07PM

Who would Fox News appoint as McCain's spokesman? Hannity? He liked Huckabee last time I heard.

What, you don't like Alan? He provides the counterpoint right? I would love to see Keith have an opposing point of view from time to time. Usually it is just him stroking himself.

I watch Fox, MSNBC, and CNN at various times. I notice Fox consistently caries the cable ratings...

Date: September 16, 2008 09:14PM

Ah, come on. It's time for that intellectual honesty thing again. Yes, MSNBC is biased. But I've been hearing for years now that that's okay. Fox News pioneered having 95% opinion and 5% news and calling it "a news channel." They claim that as long as the 5% is relatively balanced you can call it "fair and balanced." Never mind about that other pesky 95%. Now that there is an alternative that does pretty much the same thing, though from the opposite point of view, conservatives are howling about how unfair it is. Okay, Fox News has Alan Colmes--MSNBC has Joe Scarborough. Get over it.

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Who would Fox News appoint as McCain's spokesman?
> Hannity? He liked Huckabee last time I heard.
>
> What, you don't like Alan? He provides the
> counterpoint right? I would love to see Keith have
> an opposing point of view from time to time.
> Usually it is just him stroking himself.
>
> I watch Fox, MSNBC, and CNN at various times. I
> notice Fox consistently caries the cable
> ratings...

Date: September 16, 2008 09:16PM

BTW, I mistakenly used the word "conservative" in place of Republican or right-winger. Today's Republicans are anything but conservative, but old habits die hard. My apologies.

Date: September 16, 2008 10:05PM

The RNC is a political machine on par with Tammany Hall. Its roots stem from the corrupt Nixon Administration with Karl Rove as its architect. Whatever shortcomings Obama, Biden, McCain or Palin may have as people, my problem is with the RNC machine. The RNC machine doesn't believe in Jesus or fiscal conservative principles or Reagan's America. The RNC believes in doing the bidding of a handful of corporate paymasters - Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Defense. Everybody else can go fuck themselves as far as the RNC is concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 10:06PM by WashingToneLocian.

Date: September 16, 2008 11:07PM

Voter Wrote:
> Ah, come on. It's time for that intellectual
> honesty thing again. Yes, MSNBC is biased. But
> I've been hearing for years now that that's okay.
> Fox News pioneered having 95% opinion and 5% news
> and calling it "a news channel." They claim that
> as long as the 5% is relatively balanced you can
> call it "fair and balanced." Never mind about
> that other pesky 95%. Now that there is an
> alternative that does pretty much the same thing,
> though from the opposite point of view,
> conservatives are howling about how unfair it is.
> Okay, Fox News has Alan Colmes--MSNBC has Joe
> Scarborough. Get over it.
>

What did I need to get over? I just made a comment about Olbermann and MSNBC. I just got done watching him again tonight and it is amazing. Sean Hannity has a show on Fox that runs for an hour - Olbermann is one of MSNBC's anchors... big difference in how that works out.

The bias on MSNBC is almost sick - if Obama wins Keith should ask to be their communications director or spokesman.

Just an observation, and probably a true statement about Olbermann - you disagree? What is there to get over? Seems like you are a bit defensive.

Date: September 16, 2008 11:41PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> The RNC is a political machine on par with Tammany
> Hall. Its roots stem from the corrupt Nixon
> Administration with Karl Rove as its architect.
> Whatever shortcomings Obama, Biden, McCain or
> Palin may have as people, my problem is with the
> RNC machine. The RNC machine doesn't believe in
> Jesus or fiscal conservative principles or
> Reagan's America. The RNC believes in doing the
> bidding of a handful of corporate paymasters - Big
> Oil, Big Pharma, Big Defense. Everybody else can
> go fuck themselves as far as the RNC is concerned.

As opposed to what? Who funds the Dems? Big movie stars? Big Lawyers (right, they want to "protect" us from the big bad companies). Check the facts, I think you will find that GE owns MSNBC(?) and they provide a lot of work on defense contracts - that seems almost like a conflict of interest in your definition. Who else?

And wait, you want to say that James Carville (and others) is not hard core? He was the master of the politics of destruction, and then used the technique of projection to paint the target on Rove. Carville is a master at the game, and he was in the Whitehouse with the Clintons before Rove and Bush ever headed that way. Neither side is clean in this, and trying to paint the RNC as this vast machine and the DNC as the good guys is pretty laughable.

I have yet to meet a politician of any side that I trust. I just trust McCain more than Obama since I know a hell of a lot more about him, and Obama has had much of his past glossed over by MSM. The MSM used to be hard core McCain supporters, remember? I could go totally conspiracy and say they focused so positive on McCain to make sure the other Republican nominees to lose... hmm? Just floating a thought on that - but certainly along the lines of saying folks like Hannity and Rush somehow had something to do with Hillary losing.

Posted by: Lopter ()
Date: September 17, 2008 01:01AM

Every other day McCain is correcting what he said the day before.

The complete farce of "Straight Talk Express."

The bus should read "Change what I'm saying Tomorrow."

Posted by: Lopter ()
Date: September 17, 2008 01:03AM

LMAO
Attachments:
lk_bsexpress500.jpg

Date: September 17, 2008 07:20AM

Obermann is not an anchor, he hosts an opinion show just like Hannity. He *was* anchoring some of their election coverage but they removed him from that role. Hannity has one of the loudest voices in the media today. In addition to his daily show that he "co-hosts" with Alan Colmes he has a weekend show that is done without Colmes. Hmm, I wonder how come the much-ballyhooed Colmes doesn't have his own independent show on the fair and balanced network? In addition to that, he has a three hour daily show on AM talk radio.

Virtually all of talk radio is dominated by right-wing hosts. Turn on the radio at any time during the day and tell me what you hear. Obama bashing and McCain/Palin worship. One of the big three cable networks is practically an arm of the RNC. Another one inexplicably gives a prime time slot to the highly obnoxious Glenn Beck, who also has--surprise!--his own talk radio show.

And yet, right-wingers still somehow find a way to complain about "media bias". The point to examples such as US Magazine--since when did that become a part of the legitimate news media? And, excuse me for laughing, the National Enquirer. Oh, and don't forget Matt Lauer at the Today show. Seriously.

You're goddamned right I'm defensive. With so little turf to defend, those of us who like to hear all sides of the debate tend to get our backs up when those on the right try to stamp out every voice that doesn't line up with their views. I wouldn't be happy if MSNBC were the only news outlet. But it is nice to have an alternative to the shockingly biased Fox News. It is one voice in many, which is just fine with me.

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> What did I need to get over? I just made a comment
> about Olbermann and MSNBC. I just got done
> watching him again tonight and it is amazing. Sean
> Hannity has a show on Fox that runs for an hour -
> Olbermann is one of MSNBC's anchors... big
> difference in how that works out.
>
>
> The bias on MSNBC is almost sick - if Obama wins
> Keith should ask to be their communications
> director or spokesman.
>
>
> Just an observation, and probably a true statement
> about Olbermann - you disagree? What is there to
> get over? Seems like you are a bit defensive.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: September 17, 2008 08:45AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Who would Fox News appoint as McCain's spokesman?
> Hannity? He liked Huckabee last time I heard.

Hannity was a Giuliani supporter; he even helped raise money for Rudy's presidential bid.

Thanks to the winger noise machine, Olbermann won't be anchoring any political events this fall. I'm not sad about this. He is just a bloviator a la' Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, etc. I find it curious that you're unwilling to put him in the same broadcast category as these conservative heroes, though.

Date: September 17, 2008 01:03PM

Voter()

You know, the radio can be tuned to other stations. There are plenty of radio stations out there with other viewpoints. MSNBC is an arm of the DNC - and yet their ratings pretty much suck. Is that because there is some vast conspiracy out there? Why do you think Hannity, Beck and those guys have their own shows? Um, they make the network money. Period. You may as well ask why Larry King has a show.

I don't complain about media bias - I just listen to other stations. Many of my posts here about it are in response to hate filled diatribes folks post on how horrible the voices on the conservative side are. Yet time and again it has been proven that liberal voices dominate both the airwaves and other forms of media.

The real problem isn't that these guys have some undue influence - it is the fact that fewer people want to listen to the liberal message - it just seems to infuriate folks on the left that this is the case. Not sure why, there are plenty of other sources for you to get information. Al Franken and Air America is a case in point - they had plenty of outlets, but no one wanted to listen to them. Sorry about that. Did you listen to them?

Date: September 17, 2008 01:25PM

I'm sorry, I distinctly remember that you did complain about media bias--that's why I responded. Name a talk radio show on the air here in the Washington area with a progressive slant. Doesn't exist that I'm aware of, and I listen to a lot of radio. We have Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Tom Sullivan, Laura Ingraham, Bill Cunningham, Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Mike Gallagher, Dennis Miller, Lars Larson, Bill Bennet, Bill O'Reilly, Monica Crowley--off the top of my head. Yet not a single progressive. If you think it's a simple as popularity you're fooling yourself. MSNBC has been climbing in the ratings since they starting leaning left--that's why they are doing it. I did listen to Air America, and still do. Right-wingers seem to believe that Air America went bankrupt and disappeared--that's not the case. It is still on the air on XM Radio, which is one of the main reasons I subscribe.

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Voter()
>
> You know, the radio can be tuned to other
> stations. There are plenty of radio stations out
> there with other viewpoints. MSNBC is an arm of
> the DNC - and yet their ratings pretty much suck.
> Is that because there is some vast conspiracy out
> there? Why do you think Hannity, Beck and those
> guys have their own shows? Um, they make the
> network money. Period. You may as well ask why
> Larry King has a show.
>
> I don't complain about media bias - I just listen
> to other stations. Many of my posts here about it
> are in response to hate filled diatribes folks
> post on how horrible the voices on the
> conservative side are. Yet time and again it has
> been proven that liberal voices dominate both the
> airwaves and other forms of media.
>
> The real problem isn't that these guys have some
> undue influence - it is the fact that fewer people
> want to listen to the liberal message - it just
> seems to infuriate folks on the left that this is
> the case. Not sure why, there are plenty of other
> sources for you to get information. Al Franken and
> Air America is a case in point - they had plenty
> of outlets, but no one wanted to listen to them.
> Sorry about that. Did you listen to them?

Date: September 17, 2008 01:26PM

Chris Matthews anyone?
Attachments:
obama-excited-msm.jpg

Date: September 17, 2008 01:28PM

BTW, AM 570 has now started calling themselves "McCain 570". I kid you not.

Date: September 17, 2008 01:31PM

See, so listen to your XM radio. Like I said, change the station.

Anyway, the thread was about Obama as the agent of change. Not seeing that yet other than he is not George Bush. First he used it against Hillary in saying he was not a Clinton, now he is not Bush. Show me the change - because so far all he is doing is pointing at McCain and saying "see what he said!!! - that is not change!!". Of course that is better than pointing out Palin's lack of experience - since it just reflects back on him every time he says it - which is why they stopped pushing that angle.

Where's the issues he is going to address that he keeps talking about? Maybe when they actually hold debates we'll see them?

Date: September 17, 2008 01:36PM

Posted by: Mary Jane ()
Date: September 17, 2008 02:10PM

Please excuse Register Voter,

the guy is obviously delusional or a Washington lobbyist afraid he'll lose his job if O'bama is elected.

Date: September 17, 2008 02:28PM

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/

Shrug. Lets hear them say it on the trail. It is funny to hear these guys say "Go to my web site if you want more information."

Anyhow, Obama keeps saying he is going to focus on the issues. Pointing out his web site doesn't do that.

Keep trying.

Date: September 17, 2008 02:42PM

I pointed you to a 33 page document entitled "Obama Blueprint for Change" that answers your question. Did you have another question you wanted answered? Right-wingers keep claiming they don't know what Obama wants to do and when you point out the reams and reams of material he has put out there they whine that they don't want to go to his website and read it. I don't claim that we don't know where McCain wants to take the country--I just don't agree with it.

Registered Voter Wrote:
> http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/
>
> Shrug. Lets hear them say it on the trail. It is
> funny to hear these guys say "Go to my web site if
> you want more information."
>
> Anyhow, Obama keeps saying he is going to focus on
> the issues. Pointing out his web site doesn't do
> that.
>
> Keep trying.

Posted by: I know... ()
Date: September 17, 2008 05:11PM

I know where McCain will take this country, and it happens to have a basin full of water and a handle as part of it's mechanics.

Date: September 17, 2008 05:21PM

Does this guy represent the change philosophy Obama wants?

Mike Klonsky - head of an education organization founded by Ayers:
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75282

Or how he barely knew Ayers if you listened to some of Obama's earlier debate performances:
http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75384

There there is the Woods Fund:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57231

If it is ok to say that Neo-Cons have the wrong ideas about things and are bad influences, why is this not the same, but the other side of the coin? Or are you guys out there with Obama-mania saying you support Communism and bombing of our government? Because these same kind of arguments have been used on the Bush-Cheney side of the debate.

Date: September 18, 2008 06:25PM

and what exactly is the relationship between any of these people and Obama? Are any on his staff? Are any lobbyist trying to buy his influence? Obama has nothing to do with Ayers....nothing!

Date: September 18, 2008 06:26PM

Ostrich

Date: September 18, 2008 07:04PM

afraid to answer a simple question..I'll give you a hint....nada!

Date: September 18, 2008 07:28PM

Vince, I stand by what I posted . It seems pretty clear what the relationships are.

Suspending your belief in reality won't make it go away.

Date: September 19, 2008 10:47AM

what you posted made nosense..had no connection with Obama!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.