HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The new GI Bill...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: April 20, 2008 09:32AM

Are there any veterans or active duty member out there? I'd be interested in your opinion of the legislation to revamp the GI Bill and the proposal to provide a "free" (actually hard earned) college education to veterans.

I find it ironic that the military power structure and the current presumptive Republican nominee appear to be against this provision because it might entice service members to leave the military rather then re-enlist! This logic seems a litlle mean spirited and haunts of the foot-in-mouth Democratic presidential candidate of 2004 whenremarks he made were interpretted as implying only the stupid end up in the military and specific in Iraq/Afghanistan. Doesnt this policy imply that we like our service members to be dumb...and we prefer them to stay dumb!

The WW II GI Bill was a major benifit to those veterarans..their children (me) and their grand-children (the majority of FU posters). Id hate to think we would pass up this opportunity to similarly reward current veterans and their descendants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The new GI Bill...
Posted by: Joseph ()
Date: April 21, 2008 08:54AM

Veteran here, though I have to admit I haven't been paying attention to this projected revamp. How exactly is it being changed?

I haven't used my money yet, I have ten years from the day I got out, though I think no matter which way you cut it, it's a good deal. Basically a hundred bucks a month for your first twelve months gets you around 36k. Such a shame though that you have to pull teeth just to get your forms approved and the money to start coming in. It feels like they purposely give you a hard time in the hopes that you just say the hell with it.

Re: The new GI Bill...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: April 21, 2008 12:43PM

NOt an expert here...but there was an editiorial in last week's Sunday Washington Post on the topic. I assume many changes are being proposed for the Iraq/Afghanistan veteran. One change is to give them a "free" college education. Just seemed ironic to me that neither McCain nor the military appear to support the change.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.