HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bingo!
Posted by: grandma ()
Date: September 12, 2008 05:36PM

I couldn't have said it better myself...

Granny

-------------------------

It's one of the most cringe-worthy moments in recent American political history:

"Do you believe in the Bush Doctrine?"

The awkward pause, then the smug, patronizing comeback.

"In what respect, Charlie?"

Charlie Gibson, taken aback, perhaps realizing that this is The Moment for which he'll be known for the rest of his career.

"The Bush -- w-w-well, what do you interpret it to be?"

And then the painful, filibustering non-answer that I can hardly bear to watch without feeling embarrassed for Sarah Palin, John McCain, and this great nation of ours.

I'm not saying that every American besides Governor Palin knows what the Bush Doctrine is. Hell, I wasn't sure I knew what it was until Charlie Gibson confirmed it for me. But then again, I'm not a Republican governor who's running for national office.

Now, if Joe Biden had said this on national TV, the election would be over. Obama would either be calling Hillary Clinton and begging her to take over the #2 slot or he'd be busy getting to work on his concession speech.

But these are the Republicans, they of vaunted attack machines and vast right-wing conspiracies. Masters of spin, purveyors of semi-libelous commercials, wizards of righteous indignation and instigators of class warfare. If Sarah Palin doesn't know what the Bush Doctrine is, well, my goodness, neither do a lot of hardworking, God-fearing hockey moms out there in the heartland. They don't have time to read those fancy city newspapers with lots of big words explaining the Bush Doctrine. They're not eggheads like Barack Obama and Joe Biden, those elitist intellectuals who sit around studying doctrines while raising taxes on hardworking Americans like you and me.

You think Governor Palin is going to waste her time reading books about the Bush Doctrine? No, she's busy with the responsibilities that come with being governor of the great state of Alaska. She's got moose to field-dress, bridges to nowhere to say "No" to, jets to sell on eBay. Maybe community organizers have the time to talk about the Bush Doctrine. But Sarah Palin's too busy trying to reform Washington. By way of Alaska.

Before long, Obama and Biden will have to defend themselves against accusations that they're smart. They'll start claiming that they not only didn't know what the Bush Doctrine is but that they were unaware that Bush was even president. "We thought we were running against his father," they'll say. "We were too busy going to church and shooting animals and saying 'No' to lobbyists to pay attention to any of that Washington election nonsense. Hell, we don't even know how to read."

And the election will become about who's dumber and more ignorant.

And you know which party's going to win that one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bingo!
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 12, 2008 05:43PM

So, now the Dems are noting they are going to lose because Sarah Palin is dumber than Obama and Biden. This post came from The Huffington Post btw - Tony Sachs. Always good to attribute when you take someone else's quotes and post them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-sachs/sarah-palin-the-bush-doct_b_125852.html

I take issue with the part about Joe Biden. If he had said it they would have edited the tape and only posted the part where he answered the question.

Posted by: tissue ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:00PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, now the Dems are noting they are going to lose
> because Sarah Palin is dumber than Obama and
> Biden. This post came from The Huffington Post btw
> - Tony Sachs. Always good to attribute when you
> take someone else's quotes and post them.
>

There does seem to be an aversion to intelligent presidents from the conservative base.

Posted by: Froggy ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:05PM

grandma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I couldn't have said it better myself...
>
> Granny
>
> -------------------------
>

> Now, if Joe Biden had said this on national TV,
> the election would be over. Obama would either be
> calling Hillary Clinton and begging her to take
> over the #2 slot or he'd be busy getting to work
> on his concession speech.

At least Sarah doesnt come across like an arrogant, pompous asshole
like Hillary AND Biden. Even if she doesnt know foreign policy as
well as others, she will be elected because of her pleasant
disposition.

Posted by: tissue ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:09PM

Froggy Wrote:
>
> At least Sarah doesnt come across like an
> arrogant, pompous asshole
> like Hillary AND Biden. Even if she doesnt know
> foreign policy as
> well as others, she will be elected because of her
> pleasant
> disposition.

Let me restate my prior post:

before: There does seem to be an aversion to intelligent presidents from the conservative base.

restated: There does seem to be an aversion to intelligence from the conservative base.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 12, 2008 08:37PM

I think most of our fiunding father's would have a dificult time getting elected today (some had a tough time in their day). Most would definately be considered elitists.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 12, 2008 09:32PM

Back then Congress wasn't in session all year long, and most of them were farmers in their "normal" life. A few were lawyers and the like, but most were concerned with survival, and how to make sure the country was going to survive and grow.

Today we see some of the worst abuses they were trying to get away from when they left Europe - religious persecution (secularist vs almost ANY religion today), taxation without representation (yeah, we all have a lot to say in how much we get taxed when these guys make it to Washington), and the perversion of our legal system where folks can be thrown into jail by the government without legal representation (yes, I don't agree with that for Citizens of the US - terrorist non-citizens I am not so concerned about, but they should eventually have their time in court). I think most of them would lead a new revolution if they saw where we had gotten to - and this is the pattern that started after the 1950s - not just the last 7 years.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.