HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tell me why
Posted by: Whyisit... ()
Date: September 11, 2008 10:09AM

Why is it that oil is trading at around $103 a barrell and gas prices are averaging around $3.50 a gallon - regular

Last time oil traded at $103 a barrell gas prices were averaging $3.15 a gallon.

Tell me why gas is not back down to $3.15??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tell me why
Date: September 11, 2008 10:16AM

Whyisit... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is it that oil is trading at around $103 a
> barrell and gas prices are averaging around $3.50
> a gallon - regular
>
> Last time oil traded at $103 a barrell gas prices
> were averaging $3.15 a gallon.
>
> Tell me why gas is not back down to $3.15??

While I hate Big Oil and think speculators have been riding shotgun over the markets, I will say in defense of the market that gas is $3.50 a gallon because it was refined several weeks ago when oil was more expensive. The cost savings from lower oil prices will hit the pump in the coming weeks.

Then, after the election, the speculators will fuck you again until President Obama (hopefully) kicks the CFTC in the ass and makes it enforce its regulations.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 11, 2008 10:48AM

The way it always works is a spike in oil prices causes gasoline to jump, with oil companies arguing that hey, costs went up and there is nothing to be done about it.

Then when oil prices drop, oil companies say hey, all that high-cost oil is still in the pipeline and when we use it up we'll be on the cheap stuff and gasoline will go down.

Actually this time around the gasoline prices did take a little longer to start to spike after oil prices spiked. In the past the practice of playing the "float" was more obvious.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: September 11, 2008 11:33AM

Remember - everything we pay for, like good and stuff- still priced at 4.30$ prices.

Even tho you might be paying less at the pump - noone is lowering food prices.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.