HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Windows Media Center vs. Linux Media Center
Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: August 29, 2008 10:03PM

I am building a home-theater PC for my dad, and don't know what Operating System I should choose. At the moment, i'm stuck between Linux Media Center and Windows Vista (Media Center is a program). I don't think i'd like MythTV.

Here is the build, if you're wondering:

Anybody know how these two compare? Stability is my #1 concern in this, as my dad will probably use this everyday. (he still uses his ghetto VCR on his new 42" 1080p LCD, and it looks god-awful)

Why I may use Linux Media Center
■ The current Vista Media Center doesn't actually record in HD, it records in wide-screen DVD SD resolution (852x480?), which is fine, as it's digital and is still relatively clear, but does not utilize the TV card's full potential (the model I chose is capable of 1080i recording, and has a hardware encoder too).

■ The current Vista Media Center also is not capable of playing back Blu-Ray media. It can do all types of DVD the way any DVD player could, but it has no blu-ray support, and I would have to load up a separate program (i.e. WinDVD).

Does anybody know if Linux Media Center is capable of these two? If it is in fact the SAME as Windows Media Center in terms of these features, i'd like to know which one is more stable. Stability is the most important thing to consider for my dad.

I know some of you are quite computer-literate, so I was wondering if any of you would know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Windows Media Center vs. Linux Media Center
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 30, 2008 08:40AM

first off, i hope you didnt order that stuff because the PS3 has almost all the hardware you need in one nice package.

for media playback, the PS3 (unmodified) is the best for the job relatively cheap and very stable (linux based). i downloaded a movie from the interwebz that had a modern codec and it played no problem (when i transfered it using a usb drive). as for blu-ray and dvd, pop it in and no problem. however, this is just for playback, not recording. however, the ps3 is getting a pvr add on... eventually: http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/07/20/closer-look-at-playtv-for-playstation-3/

it seems waiting isnt what you are interested in, so i suggest going with windows on a normal box. however, i have not seen anything decent that can make windows into a true media center. bluray playback is very limited at the moment.

but hey, if you are just looking for playback, ps3 is the way to go for sure. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 31, 2008 04:46PM

Okay cool, i'll put that into consideration. Thanks.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 31, 2008 08:40PM

When you say media PC then are you talking about recording the moives and CD's to the PC and then having that PC act as the dedicated onDemand media server to a 54' or larger screen?

I hadn't setup a dedicated PC but I do have several external drives for movies and music.

I love having all the movies and music online. Each movie takes up about 1 gig. So on a 100 gb drive expected to be able to about save 100 movies.

I don't have to find the CD etc... I simply click on Media player and scroll through all the CD and DVD's on the drive. No more searching a shelf

Date: August 31, 2008 08:56PM

@ Lurker - huh?

No no, i'm building a home theater PC.

A home theater PC (HTPC) or media PC is a convergence device that combines the functions of a personal computer and a digital video recorder. It is connected to a television or a television-sized computer display and is often used as a digital photo, music, video player, TV receiver and digital video recorder.

The general goal in a HTPC is usually to combine many or all components of a home theater setup into one box. They can be purchased pre-configured with the required hardware and software needed to add television programming to the PC, or can be cobbled together out of discrete components as is commonly done using Operating Systems like Windows Media Center, MythTV, GB-PVR, SageTV, Famulent, or LinuxMCE.

The system looks just like a DVD Player/Stereo Receiver, except it's a computer. This computer does not leave the TV stand, it stays there permanently, and you use your HDTV as a monitor. You don't need a keyboard or mouse (though you may do what you like), the Operating Systems designed for HTPC's can all be controlled through a handheld remote, just like a TV or DVD or Cable remote. The Operating System's interface is typically very simple, and the text is very large so as to make it easy to read, similar to a DVD Player or Cable/SAT Receiver's interface.

The interface and what you'd see on screen would be something like this:

The computer can be whatever you want it to be, but there are cases designed specifically for HTPC purposes, and they're usually like this:

See how it fits in with the rest of your TV stand and how it mimics a DVD player or Audio receiver?

These HTPC's are often configured to be the all-in-one box, so usually they'll have TV tuners in them (which can be controlled in the OS via remote), and used as DVR's. They usually come with a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW (otherwise installing the OS would be a challenge, wouldn't it :P), and so you can use it as a DVD Player (controlled within the OS, via remote). Microsoft Windows Media Center at the moment has no Blu-Ray support, this was the concern I was talking about.

When I say Vista in the OP, ignore that, just think of it as the whole OS being Media Center.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.