HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Do White people tip better than Blacks?
Posted by: Do White people tip better than Black ()
Date: August 22, 2008 08:51PM

So, I took my girl friend to TGIFridays tonight, and we are White. They sit us down in a booth and we are surrounded by Black folk at other tables. There was this like 20 year old white waitress and she was serving every table around us but this like 30 year old Black waiter said to her "I'll take this one," and pointed to our table. I assume he could take a table because he had seniority.

Did he take our table because white pepole tip better than Black people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do White people tip better than Blacks?
Date: August 22, 2008 09:33PM

Do White people tip better than Black Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Did he take our table because white pepole tip
> better than Black people?

This should answer your question...

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:14PM

I thought Fairfax hated Blacks? Now we are debating if they aare good tippers? I am so confused.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:43PM

I waited tables when I was in college and never noticed this racial disparity. However, there were a few waiters and waitresses that always complained about this "phenomenon". And those people were dummies in the first place, real loser-types that are probably still waiting tables to this day.

Usually the bad tippers were the obvious low-class clientele; whether they were ghetto, redneck, or just plain working-poor types.

Poor, dumb people don't know how to tip in restaurants regardless of their race.

Posted by: tippy ()
Date: August 22, 2008 11:22PM

I heard that Sunday churchgoers are the worst tippers.

Posted by: Margie ()
Date: August 22, 2008 11:56PM

Get serious! That's the oldest trick in the book. Your girlfriend set you up to go there. Now the waiter knows who you are and what you look like. She goes out with you for the evening, then meets up with the him when he gets off work. It had nothing to do with being White.....LOL....guess the "30 year old Black waiter" does some things better then you can.....LMAO...Looks like he leaves her the best tip of all.

Posted by: INsideINfo ()
Date: August 23, 2008 01:41AM

I have a friend who moonlights as a bartender for a caterer. He
says the best events are Bar/Bat Mitvhas. Second best is Catholic
wedding receptions. The very WORST is black events because they
tip terribly. He once catered an 8 hour event and wound up with
a total of $11.00 in tips and they drank like fish. Which would
you rather work?

Posted by: Consumer ()
Date: August 24, 2008 12:52PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I waited tables when I was in college and never
> noticed this racial disparity. However, there
> were a few waiters and waitresses that always
> complained about this "phenomenon". And those
> people were dummies in the first place, real
> loser-types that are probably still waiting tables
> to this day.
>
> Usually the bad tippers were the obvious low-class
> clientele; whether they were ghetto, redneck, or
> just plain working-poor types.
>
> Poor, dumb people don't know how to tip in
> restaurants regardless of their race.

Wow, either things have changed or you have never served. I worked as a waited until I got my AA degree and will NEVER go back. Its a horrible job, hours are crap and someone will always ruin your day no matter how nice you are. "tippy" is right on point with the churchgoers, they throw money away at church and then tip you $2 on the $30 meal. I find Middle Easters to be quiet cheap as well. No matter how good of a server you are or how nice you are to people, there is always someone that will take advantage of your good service and then stiff you. 4 months prior to my graduation, I started to treat everyone like crap and just didnt care when their food came out and my tips were still the same, go figure.......

Posted by: Consumer. ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:08PM

My best advice for anyone that wants to work as a waiter is to work in an upscale neighbourhood and in an upscale restaurant. Get a job in Arlington where an average apartment cost is betwen $1800-$3400 and you will make good money. I have worked in Fairfax and then got a job at a private restaurant in Arlington. If you work a "double" (both lunch and dinner from 11am 'til 11pm) you will average about $250. On a good day about an extra $100. .

Date: August 24, 2008 01:12PM

Consumer Wrote:
>>> Wow, either things have changed or you have never served.

Not really sure what you mean by that, but it was long ago when I waited tables, and I was only doing it so I had money to go out partying at school, not to pay bills or tuition. But who knows, maybe since then an entire race of people have collectively decided to decrease the amount of tips they leave. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for keeping us all enlightened.

Posted by: Consumer ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:15PM

I am not trying to be rude or a smartass, I am just sharing my personal experience working in Northern Virginia.

Date: August 24, 2008 01:19PM

I apologize for being sarcastic. I do agree with you that it is a shitty way to earn a living.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.