HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can Virginia Become A Classic Utopia ?
Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: April 16, 2013 08:12AM

April 16, 2013

Conversation: Utopia is a unfulfilled dream community that exists since the 14th Century when Sir Thomas Moore (1478-1535), Chancellor of England wrote this classic book.

In our quest for a new birth of freedom in America, I like to briefly revisit New Harmony community as a failed non-religious social experiment brought to America by a visionary social idealist, Robert Owen (1771-1858) who returned to his roots in England after several years when New Harmony failed in America.

Here is a bit more for those who cares for quality life styles, rich or poor at Hometown USA at Virginia, rich or poor.

Wisdom:
“ Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime, therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing that is true or beautiful or good in immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone, therefore we must be saved by love. Reinhold Niebhur

REF URL:Please have a loot at my argument for Utopia and the logic of "Multi-Income Neighborhoods" in Virginia__ Emerging Next Birth of Freedom in America to Mid 21st Century Plus

http://www.squidoo.com/utopia-and-emerging-next-birth-of-freedom-in-america-to-mid-21st-century-plus

Cafe Twin
Attachments:
UTOPIA PLUS 0313.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can Virginia Become A Classic Utopia ?
Posted by: section 8 sharon. ()
Date: April 16, 2013 08:24AM

If high taxes, traffic and lots of illegals are the definition then yes it is a utopia.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 16, 2013 06:05PM

Thomas More was a grasping politician who was intollerant of views which conflicted with his own...So yes, we do have a shot.

BTW cafetwinv, More Wrote Utopia in the 16th century.

Posted by: goddamnedhippies ()
Date: April 16, 2013 06:16PM

Virginia is not for hippies.

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: April 16, 2013 07:54PM

April 16, 2013

I have looked at a lot of "failed utopias" in 19th century America that were mostly religious based. People trying to escape religious intolerance of Europe in that era to America to build a community . Most of these failed for one reason or another.

B.F. Skinner when he wrote his classic fiction "Walden Two" in 1945 addressed to the GIs coming home from the War, it was not very popular then. But amazingly the book took off during the late 60's and early 70's as a best seller during the troubled times of that era in America with Vietnam War partricularly, post Civil Rights Movement success.

But Walden Two never succeeded as a real community and I think I know why after studying just about every thing B.F. Skinner has ever written on behaviorial sciece topics linked to his classic book.

But what I am thinking of more is an opportunity pursue Virginia's strength and expanding "green living" knowledge economy that Virginia is already trying very hard to build.

Even more so Fairfax County, an urban community.

Where as Virginia is really a state of small towns, and many countries, 99 of them in fact, if I remember correctly.

One of the largest employer in Virginia is our Forestry Industry that are among the higest paying jobs in Virginia accroding to a State of Virginia economic report I saw.

Many secondary jobs such as hardwood floors, windows, doors, lumber, etc are made here before exporing to elsewhere in USA and overseas.

Question is can "Green Living" based on this existing strength of "Forestry" to build communities that can be an adoptation and evolution of "Utopia" topic but not the "failed models" of course.
Attachments:
UTOPIA PLUS 0310.jpg

Date: April 18, 2013 07:18PM

Question is can "Green Living" based on this existing strength of "Forestry" to build communities that can be an adoptation and evolution of "Utopia" topic but not the "failed models" of course ?

One possible answer: Strengthenging "Forestry" in Virginia makes a lot of sense both near term and long term as can be done by the "Ambassadors" international arts and science bridge as proposed.

WE can sell a lot of doors, windows, hardwood floors in Europe, along with looking at new tehcnology development opportunities via life science expertise existing here and in France particularly, a leader in life science in the world.

Search "Fairfax Roanoke Opole Ambassadors" for a preview.

If anyone apppreciates and values this preview and can help with building the twin bridge between Fairfax, VA and Roanoke, VA to pursue this "Ambassadors" idea as one possible way to stengthen arts and science bridge, please give us a holler.

Waldenthreenet

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: April 18, 2013 09:43PM

Utopia is impossible until we address the base nature of man- nasty, short, and brutish. Hobbes is correct; Moore is not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 09:43PM by Young Curmudgeon.

Posted by: Goodolddaze ()
Date: April 18, 2013 10:08PM

It kind of was before 1965.

Date: April 19, 2013 09:20PM

In the 2nd decade of 21st Century, the "Nature vs Nurture" is no longer Moore vs Hobbs even if that can be a hypothesis.

Latest debate in the 70's was between B.F. Skinner (behaviorist, Nurture side) and E.O.Wilson (Sociobiology Hypothesis, Nature side)

While Skinner died in the mid-90's Wilson is still alive as of today, though very old. Wilson's "On Human Nature" remains a classic.

But the key to a modern Utopia experiment, be it as part of a sophisticated technical community such as Boston or Fairfax or a rural community on the Railroad track such as Fredricksburg, VA, or Herper's Ferry WV, remains application of new knowledge in education on the importance of "Non-Cognitive" skills and making possible for kids to pick up "non-cognitive" skills early in life, during K12 and beyond.

The Annandale Twin Project Demo Proposal that you all have seen in my oldest post in the "Annandale" community addresses this issue of "Non-Cognitive Skills" for kids.

For this "Community Greenhouse Project" , I am seeking endorsement and a "Community Advisory Board" for the "Annandale and possibly also Vienna Twin project" now if possible from the Faifax Chamber of Commerce (business side) and also from our elected leaders of the county side (Fairfax Board of Supervisors) .

ALso needed element is a thoughtful and interested "Community Advisory Board".

can anyone help with these tasks to help make the "Twin Project" possible in Fairfax VA ?
Attachments:
OFO W.O.WILSON INTRO ALPHA.jpg

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: April 19, 2013 10:31PM

What does Beyond Walden Two mean?

And what's up with the owl pics?

file.php?40,file=90377,filename=UTOPIA_P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 10:32PM by eesh.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: April 19, 2013 10:48PM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does Beyond Walden Two mean?
>

Maybe the name of next comet that they plan to ride away with aliens on after commiting mass suicide.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 20, 2013 04:54PM

If you press the red dot on Waldens forehead, it'll open your garage door.

True story

Posted by: Scientific Tester ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:42PM

Can I press the red dot with a framing hammer?

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:23AM

Scientific Tester Wrote:
> Can I press the red dot with a framing hammer?

For shit sake do it.

Date: April 21, 2013 11:29AM

Careful, you don't want to knock over the nest of Bandicoots in his filthy turban.

Date: April 30, 2013 05:36PM

April 30, 2013

Thinking about dong something constructive and value added in the community is better than smart talk.

But virutal teaming in small group necessary to take ownership of community where one lives and work, ie, Fairfax Northern Virginia Metro DC Hub.

Here is one topic for Thoughtful People in Fairfax County.

Claim Ownership to Quality Living with A Community Twining Protype Virginia

http://www.squidoo.com/claim-ownership-to-quality-living-with-a-community-twining-protype-virginia

Have a look at my photo story for thoughtful and wise response if possible.

Waldenthreent

Posted by: you retard ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:03PM

waldenthreenet Wrote:
> April 30, 2013
>
>
> Thinking about dong
>
>
> Waldenthreent

I bet you are, retard. Also, YOU SPELLED YOUR OWN FUCKING NAME WRONG!

Posted by: Goodolddaze ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:56PM

Virginia's Utopia:

Posted by: aolT ()
Date: April 30, 2013 08:04PM

Goodolddaze Wrote:
> Virginia's Utopia:
>
>
>

You are wrong, the importation of free labor ( not slave, nigs sold nigs to us fair and square) has led to the demise of this once great country. As much as I enjoy that pic of a darkie actually working it screwed up this country.

Date: May 01, 2013 08:12AM

May 1, 2013

Waldenthreenet says: "Thinking about dong something constructive and value added in the community is better than smart talk."

What is "dong", Avi?

As far as "smart talk" is concerned, well, we've been waiting for some "smart talk" from you, but all we get is Bandicoot English.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waldenthreenet says: "But virutal teaming in small group necessary to take ownership of community where one lives and work, ie, Fairfax Northern Virginia Metro DC Hub."

How about worrying about your own community Avi? No one wants to "take ownership" of the shit hole that you're from?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waldenthreenet says: "Here is one topic for Thoughtful People in Fairfax County."

What, nothing for us lower caste ,untouchable, thoughtless people? You're not a racist are you, Avi?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waldenthreenet says: "Claim Ownership to Quality Living with A Community Twining Protype Virginia"

Avi, could you translate that to real English and not the feral rat version?
http://www.squidoo.com/claim-ownership-to-quality-living-with-a-community-twining-protype-virginia

I clicked on that website , Avi. It was more confusing and vauge than your unsolicited posts.
Waldenthreenet says:"Have a look at my photo story for thoughtful and wise response if possible."

Avi, I've seen your "photo stories" and with much thoughtfulness and the wisest response possible, I can only say, please Avi, launder your filthy turban.

Date: May 02, 2013 12:49PM

Question: Does Walden Three Twin Really Exist ?

Related Question: Does Walden Three exist in Coastal Virginia/NC
near Scottstown ?

Possible Answer: Promised Land By The Sea
Prelude to Walden three Twin Travelogue Diary near Cochin India

A Nature Inspired Spiritual Journey to Ancient Port Cochin in India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkTFWtKFtCs&feature=youtu.be

ADD Info: Public Video on Utube, less than 7 minutes.

Norfolk, Virginia and Kochi, Kerela (India) has a Sister Cities relationship since 2010. Purpose is to seek peace through people. Cultural and Trade delegations have taken place and new ones are on the table. Our pre-proposal that will connect Tidewater with Fairfax VA will seek to contribute to this Sister Cities relationship going forward. Welcome !

About Me
Avi Dey, Producer, Café Twin Show Community TV
Please Search Internet : "Cafe Twin Show Preview"
Attachments:
WALDENTHREE RIVERBEND 0301.jpg

Date: May 02, 2013 01:53PM

Question:

If a bandicoot shits in the jungle does anyone care?

Related Question:

How long should one wear a Turban between washings?

Possible Answer: Something random and not understandable
Attachments:
sbanner-1.png
splaybyplay_in_punjabscores_bigtime_jpeg_size_xxlarge_letterbox.jpg
singh1353523940_all-i-want-to-do-is-shake-my-turban-2049.jpg
Sewa-Singh-Sekhwan.jpg

Date: May 11, 2013 07:19PM

FAIRFAX RICHMOND PARIS AMBASSADOR 01_0001

Fairfax Paris Ambassador

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktez7NQGdRE&feature=youtu.be

A short video on a future train travel from Washington DC to Richmond VA
in search of America today to tomorrow.

Cafe Twin

Date: May 22, 2013 07:15PM

Update; Remembering Memorial Day in Capital Region Northern Virginia

Conversation: Anyone Remembers A Living or Dead World War II VET For This Year 2013+ ?

Mount Vernon in the Civil War Walking Tour
Apr 1 - Jun 30, George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens
Recurring daily
Address: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Alexandria, VA
Times: 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Phone: (703) 780-2000
Admission: $5 in addition to Estate admission: $17 adults; $8 children (6-11); free for children 5 & under.

Capital Region Civil War Event

http://www.fxva.com/150/events/capital-region/
Attachments:
MEMORIAL DAY WWII Honor%20Flight%20660%20trailer%20.jpg
MEMORIAL DAY FAIRFAX VA manassas1.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.