HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Restaurant Week
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: August 13, 2008 08:56AM

Has anyone been to any decent restaurants for restaurant week?
Mrs. 496 and I went to I Ricchi on 19th last night for dinner.
They had a 3 course price fix menu available for 35 dollars per person.
I must say I was impressed with the place. The risotto was creamy and rich, the salad had a nice fennel flavoring, the filet was cooked perfectly with a pleasant pepper type sauce and the vanilla ice cream with broiled peach was a great finish. We had a cheap 36 dollar bottle of Red that didn't make me cringe after the 1st sip.
I got a tour of the kitchen and was impressed by the authentic wood burning stove they use to generate coals for the grill/broiler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restaurant Week
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 13, 2008 09:20AM

Restaurant week is the perfect time to hit a tapas place. La Tasca or Jaleo are the 2 best spots (I personally like La Tasca in Chinatown the best). We usually order a whole lot and completely chow down, without spending 50-60 bucks apiece- it's probably the biggest meal I eat all year! Excellent value during restaurant week. Zaytinya is also excellent- it's tapas with more middle-eastern flare, the place kicks ass.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: August 13, 2008 09:40AM

I've read about Zaytinya. I need to go there soon.

Posted by: Dude ()
Date: August 13, 2008 09:47AM

Zaytinya is one of my favorite restaurants in D.C. Stylish atmosphere, great food, and reasonable prices. Everyone I've ever taken there has loved it.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: August 13, 2008 11:19AM

We are going out tonight for restaurant week. I will post what restaurant tomorrow.

Date: August 13, 2008 01:44PM

More on Zaytinya from Sietsema's chat today:

Good Stuff, Zaytinya...: Tom,

You waited 47 minutes for a mediocre burger?! We had a similar experience Saturday at Good Stuff. We arrived and there were perhaps 10 people in line ahead of us. After 10 minutes the line had not moved, we left. This is a serious process problem at a restuarant that essentially has one item on the menu. We have been served faster at Central.

On another note, have you noticed a real slide in service at Zaytinya lately? The menu has been pared back and the service ranges from indifferent to totally confused. This is not the smooth ship that the Jaleos are. My wife's comment was "Jose would be appalled." Was it just us? We got the impression not. Thanks.

Tom Sietsema: Ah, that was my colleague Jane Black who endured the line at Good Stuff Eatery in today's Firstbite column. (I was "on assignment" as they say.) I'm eager to try the joint's Blazin' Barn hamburger.

As for Zaytinya, I've received similar complaints lately. Not sure what the problem might be. Bummer!

Date: August 13, 2008 04:58PM

Dude Wrote:
>>> a real slide in service at Zaytinya lately?

That is a bummer. I was there back in June and the service was commendable. It was a madhouse-busy Friday night and we had a table of six. We had the waiter running in circles- 3 separate large orders of tapas, constantly ordering more drinks, etc. He was a real trooper- really on the ball and not a single mistake or delay. I was impressed by it- no waiting for beers or food the whole time.

The only complaint I have about the place is the level of noise when it's busy. Crazy loud restaurant. It's like eating tapas inside an NFL stadium. I don't mind a lively atmosphere, but that place generates some serious volume.

Date: August 14, 2008 11:01AM

It's funny, the noise has never really bothered me there--to me it just seems happening. But I've heard it from enough other people that I guess it is a real issue. Hopefully they'll hear the feedback about the service and correct course.

Date: August 14, 2008 12:31PM

I probably shouldn't have used the word "complaint", because I absolutely love the place and don't think the noise level detracts from what is one of the better restaurant experiences you can find around here. I guess I meant to forewarn people that if they're looking for a nice quiet evening, they won't find it there! You are correct in saying the place is "happening"- it's definitely the place to take someone when you want to impress them and show them that you really know where to hang out.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.