HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
RIP - Bennigan's
Date: July 29, 2008 11:04PM

I heard earlier today that Bennigan's was going into bankruptcy. I hadn't realized that the company filed Chapter 7, which will liquidate all company-owned restaurants (apparently the franchisees will continue operating). Any idea if the ones in FFX are going to stay in business? I'm not big on chains, but I always kind of like Bennigan's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RIP - Bennigan's
Posted by: SRE ()
Date: July 29, 2008 11:11PM

It shall be missed!

I should have picked up my pint glass and name tag before the FairOaks shop shut down!

Date: July 29, 2008 11:13PM

SRE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It shall be missed!
>
> I should have picked up my pint glass and name tag
> before the FairOaks shop shut down!

I still remember having my first "real job" and getting together with co-workers at the Bennigan's near my work. This was 20-some years ago. I will always have some good memories of that place.

Posted by: Meh Meh ()
Date: July 30, 2008 12:12AM

I don't miss the food since my tastes have changed- though my HS memories are of places like this- fun! food! rip bennigans..

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 30, 2008 08:29AM

Damnit, what will I do with all my flair?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 30, 2008 08:55AM

I used to really like their French Dip sandwiches, and I was sorta bummed when they moved outta Tysons. They also had this deep fried mushroom appetizer that came with horseradish sauce- it was perfect with a couple of cold beers.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 30, 2008 09:03AM

They left Fair Oaks a while ago... I didn't know there were any around at all anymore.

Posted by: Sam ()
Date: July 30, 2008 09:16AM

A couple years, I went to see the house on Avalon. It was gone. Not just the house but the whole neighborhood. I went to see the ballroom where me and my brothers used to play. The whole place gone. Not just that. But the Bennigan's where we used to eat. Gone. All gone. Gone. I went to see where Eva lived of Poplar Street. It isn't there. Not even the street. It isn't there, not even the street. And then I went to see the nightclub I used to have! (chuckles to himself) And thank God, it was there! Because for a moment, I thought I never was......

Date: July 30, 2008 09:16AM

I'm guessing the Tysons one closed around 99-00, and I never remember one in Fair Oaks. The only one that was still around to my knowledge was in Seven Corners.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: July 30, 2008 12:28PM

I actually asked about this under "Springfield", does anyone know if the Springfield Mall location closed?

Posted by: Karriem ()
Date: July 31, 2008 10:08AM

Yup. They I called the mall, and they told me that they closed on tuesday. I worked there for 10 yrs(1/90-12/99) and it sucks ass that they had to close.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 31, 2008 10:50AM

You spent 10 yrs of your life working at BENNIGAN'S??? LOSER.

Date: July 31, 2008 11:02AM

496 Wrote:
> You spent 10 yrs of your life working at
> BENNIGAN'S??? LOSER.

I had the exact same thought.

Date: July 31, 2008 11:09AM

Could have been a manager there. It was possible to earn a living around here as a restaurant manager back then, I know someone who did that for a few years. You wouldn't be getting rich and you'd be working a very unforgiving schedule. But on the plus side, you get alot of free meals and you are always around good looking chicks that like to party.

Posted by: Expensive Jeans ()
Date: July 31, 2008 11:13AM

I agree with theMeeper.

I respect anyone that can hold down the same job for 10 yrs. Despite what the profession may be.

It shows integrity.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: July 31, 2008 11:46AM

Anyone who has ever worked in the restaurant industry knows how hard the work is. To be able to last in that environment for 10 years is admirable.

Posted by: Steve K ()
Date: July 31, 2008 01:47PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> I agree with theMeeper.
>
> I respect anyone that can hold down the same job
> for 10 yrs. Despite what the profession may be.
>
> It shows integrity.

My neighbor is a PE teacher, and waits tables at PF Changs at night a few nights a week and suprisingly doing both he is pretty well off financially.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 06, 2008 03:52AM

bennigan's was an anchor of the most recently built wing of Fair Oaks mall, meeper... I believe the space was expanded and Cheesecake Factory moved in.

Date: August 06, 2008 08:39AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
>>> bennigan's was an anchor of the most recently built wing of Fair Oaks mall, meeper... I believe the space was expanded and Cheesecake Factory

New wing at Fair Oaks? That must have been before I moved here in 96 because I don't ever remember any new construction there. I do remember Fair Oaks had like the last Chi-Chi's on the face of the earth (I always sorta liked that place). There was also a place in there called something like "American Cafe" (??), which is arguably the worst restuarant experience I've had in the past decade-- anybody remember that place?

Haven't been out there in awhile... didn't realize they put in a Cheesecake Factory.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 06, 2008 01:16PM

not new... I carefully chose my language there, to say most recently.. that means like 1991 or shortly thereafter.

cheesecake factory went in a few years ago.

Posted by: VA Tech Hokie ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:31PM

I was also sad to hear that Bennigans went Chapter 7. Back in 95-96 they had that "Copper Clover Quest" where you had to drink 100 different beers and you would get a copper mug with your name engraved on it and a nametag on the wall. The catch was you could only get credit for 4 beers per day. Some of those beers were disgusting.

I was the 5th name on the FairOaks wall and my girlfriend (now wife) was the 4th name (and the first female). There's no way I could do that now.

I should have stolen my mug when they had to change over to the pint glass (VA ABC laws said the mug was too large). I was too honest.

I also loved the "Turkey O'Toole"...the pretzel bun on that sandwich ruled.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.