HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Projector vs. Flat Screen TV
Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:14AM

Our projector died and it doesn't seem to be the lamp. Since it is a few years old, repairing it could cost more than it is worth. Therefore, we are in the market for a new projector or TV.

I am leaning towards a projector because our living room doesn't have a great place to put a TV. The projector screen pulls down over a book case, so it isn't like the TV could just replace the screen. However, it seems like home theater projectors are typically fairly low lumens and business projectors are low res. In order to get something that meets both requirements, you basically have to buy it online which means you don't actually get to see the picture quality first. In addition, TVs are awfully cheap nowadays.

As a side note, I don't watch much TV - just movies.

Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Projector vs. Flat Screen TV
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:54AM

I've been more than pleased with my Samsung LED tv. Great picture quality. It's also very thin and very light, easy to move around. Not sure what the benefits of a projector are though.

Honestly, I think the sound system is more important for your TV. Buy a decent receiver and some speakers, it makes a world of difference.

Posted by: samsung ho ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:09PM

westinghouse and vizio both make good tvs for an affordable price. i prefer samsungs though.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:28PM

I think Belmont tv still sells projectors but as you said tv's are really cheap. maybe you could hang one on your wall.

Posted by: Blowtorch3 ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:49PM

If you belong to BJ's, they are selling the Samsung 55" LED (1080p) for under $800 ($785 I think). That's a hell of a price for a very good TV. I have 3 Samsungs.

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:51PM

Belmont does sell projectors.

Perhaps you could sample their wares prior to ordering online.

https://www.belmonttv.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BT&Category_Code=PR

Posted by: fivestroke ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:50AM

Go to projectorcentral.com. They have very good reviews and you can search projectors by feature.

Look for "home video" projectors rather than "home theater". They are typically brighter widescreen projectors that don't have the overwhelming contracts ratio, but can be used in a room with ambient light without deteriorating the image too much.

Here is a good choice:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020e.htm

For a little less money, they make the same projector without the wireless feature:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020.htm

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 19, 2013 07:21PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will check out Belmont and fivestroke's suggestions. I agree that Samsung makes awesome TVs so that is an option. It wouldn't work well in our current setup, but we'll probably be moving in the next year.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.