HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Bros Take On Philly Unions... and WIN
Posted by: The Union Stamp ()
Date: January 31, 2013 05:10PM

With all the talk of Fairfax becoming the next Detroit, we often overlook that we export some of our brightest young people, who then solve the world's problems.

Born in Fairfax County, Virginia, one of the richest regions in America, Matt and Mike Pestronk admit they’ve enjoyed some advantages. “We weren’t born on third base, like Pat claims,” says Michael. “I’d say we were born on second. Our parents put us through college. But they didn’t give us a dime, ever, toward this business, or provide any connections. We did this on our own.”

Ironically, their mother, Deborah, was once a dues-paying Teamster while working as a travel agent for Pan Am.

It's a long story, but a good read.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/busting-philly-unions-pestronk-brothers/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Bros Take On Philly Unions... and WIN
Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: January 31, 2013 05:27PM

Posting videos like that could get someone hurt. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Schweet ()
Date: January 31, 2013 05:28PM

Very good article, thanks for posting that.

Posted by: Steve Volk... ()
Date: January 31, 2013 07:14PM

...is gonna' get whacked...just sayin'

Posted by: n scarfo ()
Date: January 31, 2013 07:37PM

Steve Volk... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...is gonna' get whacked...just sayin'

When I ran Philly, these punks would be, well you know

Posted by: beavis ()
Date: January 31, 2013 09:25PM

I don't know why regular joes these days are so down on unions. Granted, unions that are not run right can hurt businesses. But good unions are a win for employees. I worked as a Teamster for UPS way back in the dark ages; I worked like a dog, but made enough money to pay for college, support myself, and drive a brand-new car. with a part-time job. I had benefits and no fear of being laid-off for no particular reason. UPS has not gone out of business. Boy, have they not gone out of business.

Government unions, well, that might be a different story. But i'd love to have a union where i work now. that would be a good thing. Jobs would not be shipped overseas, layoffs would not happen indiscriminately, etc. all good things.

Posted by: Butthead ()
Date: February 01, 2013 01:46AM

How is Union UPS doing against Non-union FedEx Ground? Thought so.

That Philadelphia article is really eye-opening. Kinda shows why there are so many abandoned buildings in what should be middle-class enclaves in the city.

I wish the Pestronk brothers well.

Posted by: scab ()
Date: February 01, 2013 10:14AM

I hope all these motherfuckers that want to go back to 1890 get their wish.

I'm sure you'll love getting paid in company scrip redeemable only at the company store or to pay the rent on your company-owned shack.

Do you idiots really think that human nature has changed? That modern robber barons wouldn't return to the "good old days" if they could?

Keep listening to their shill, Rush Lardass, you dumb fucks.

Posted by: Screw... ()
Date: February 01, 2013 11:03AM

...Philly. Nothing redeeming comes from that armpit. Have you ever gone there sight seeing? Your done in about 3 hours...after you run the Rocky steps and visit a broken bell. The sports fans in Philly are the worst in the U.S.

If you watch any of the videos, they are funny as shit. Grown ass men "wandering" back and forth in front of the big rigs to slow them up.

The burbs outside of Philly can be cool, but stay the hell out of the city.

Hats off to the Pestronk boys! But something tells me they are going to find their bodies done by the river.

Posted by: Teddy ()
Date: February 01, 2013 11:48AM

scab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope all these motherfuckers that want to go
> back to 1890 get their wish.
>
> I'm sure you'll love getting paid in company scrip
> redeemable only at the company store or to pay the
> rent on your company-owned shack.
>
> Do you idiots really think that human nature has
> changed? That modern robber barons wouldn't
> return to the "good old days" if they could?
>
> Keep listening to their shill, Rush Lardass, you
> dumb fucks.

"It is essential that there should be organizations of labor. This is an era
of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Demolishing unions isn't the answer. Consider Roosevelt's point and then also consider that a man's supply of "labor" isn't infinite. It is also often easily replaced. It is in your best interest to get as much as you can, when you can get it.

There is nothing wrong, in fact it is essential, that there be a balance between the power of capital vs. labor in an economy. If it gets skewed too far, you get what we are starting to see today. The "labor" folks are struggling while the rich get richer. There is no reason why labor can't share in the success of a business/economy.

Finding the balance between $40/hr assembly line workers with full pension and benefits vs. Wal-Mart wages is the challenge. Also remember that unions don't just demand and get what they want. Management agrees to it. Everyone blames the UAW for "killing" the Big Three automakers, but no one blames the bonehead executives who were agreeing to those fat contracts. Can you really blame a guy for voting to approve a contract that gives him a raise and a sweet pension? You'd be a moron not to.

I know, I know. Everyone on here has a indispensable skill and will never find themselves unemployed or in a position where they may need to organize in order to counterbalance the power of management. Just remember, the "union leeches" you despise so much drive this economy too. If everyone except you (of course you won't be affected) starts having no benefits and Wal-Mart wages, then consider those effects on the greater economy. Just pretend you don't live on an economic island where government and everyone else doesn't affect your well-being.

Posted by: Ha fucking Ha ()
Date: February 01, 2013 12:24PM

The video is exactly why unions have screwed themselves. A pile of assholes bent on screwing people out of money any way possible. They have no honor. Fuck'em. They get what they deserve.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.