HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Greatest QB of All Time
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:19PM

In recent days, there has been much discussion about Brett Favre being the greatest quarterback of all time. For the longest time, I was skeptical of this claim (mostly because I think Tom Brady or Peyton Manning will end up surpassing everyone at some point). But after taking a look at Favre's records (most yards passed, most TDs made, 9 pro bowls, 3 MVP awards, etc) I'm starting to wonder if he isn't the greatest quarterback of all time.

Yes, Joe Montana won more Superbowls, but he has fewer overall yards and TDs. John Elway's QB rating doesn't compare to Favre's. Dan Marino's claim to fame was most yards completed until Favre surpassed him. And while Manning and Brady may pass Favre someday in yards-completed and TDs made, they have a long, long way to go to get there.

So the question is, do you think Brett Favre is the greatest QB ever?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greatest QB of All Time
Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:31PM

The best player ever has got to be Sammy Baugh, and he was mostly known as a QB.

My vote for best pure passer is Marino. Sadly, he had absolutely no running game to support him.

Date: July 14, 2008 11:41PM

Eastsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best player ever has got to be Sammy Baugh,
> and he was mostly known as a QB.
>
> My vote for best pure passer is Marino. Sadly, he
> had absolutely no running game to support him.

While Sammy Baugh was a pioneer for perfecting the forward pass, you have to consider that in his day he wasn't exactly going up against Ronnie Lott in the secondary. Most people will agree with you that Dan Marino is the greatest passer of all time. Another problem for Marino, though, is that he was a pure pocket-passer, unlike John Elway and Steve Young who could move around the pocket or run, if need be.

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: July 15, 2008 12:04AM

Yeah, I don't think Baugh belongs on a top 10 list of all-time passers, but he was incredible as an all-around player. Leading the league in passing, INTs, and punt average is simply incredible...even for a player in the 30s and 40s.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:43AM

Favre's been coasting on his brilliant '95 to '99 legacy for 10 years now. He certainly wins any contest for 'most durable QB'. That's an amazing accomplishment, but I don't think it makes him greatest all time.

In the modern version of the NFL, I think you have to ask which QB you'd take if you had to have 6 points in a crucial situation.

That would be Montana, obviously. He's also my pick for greatest all time.

If you only need 3 points, you go with Brady I guess.

If you need the dork with the perfect attendance star on his report card, you take Manning.

And if you need the guy who put the fear of god into defenses, it's Young.

Date: July 16, 2008 09:32AM

erik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Favre's been coasting on his brilliant '95 to '99
> legacy for 10 years now. He certainly wins any
> contest for 'most durable QB'. That's an amazing
> accomplishment, but I don't think it makes him
> greatest all time.
>
> In the modern version of the NFL, I think you have
> to ask which QB you'd take if you had to have 6
> points in a crucial situation.
>
> That would be Montana, obviously. He's also my
> pick for greatest all time.
>
> If you only need 3 points, you go with Brady I
> guess.
>
> If you need the dork with the perfect attendance
> star on his report card, you take Manning.
>
> And if you need the guy who put the fear of god
> into defenses, it's Young.

I have to agree with your assessment, though I think Brady and Montana are turning into a toss-up. If Brady manages to stay healthy and play well for the next five years, I think he could surpass Montana.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 16, 2008 09:44AM

They were playing clips of Favre crying on Stern yesterday. I didn't catch the whole thing so I wasn't sure if it was something that happened in the past few days? If so, it's pretty silly the way he gets so choked up when it comes to this shit, it's almost annoying. Showing emotion for the sport is one thing, but bawling every time the subject of your career comes up is pretty weird.

I'd have to say that I think Montana would be my personal pick as the greatest, but Favre has had such a stellar career that it's fair enough to say he was the best QB ever.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.