HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Neighbor does yard work at 4:59 am
Posted by: EarlyMorningLights ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:19AM

Ive been waking up at ~5am because my next door neighbor likes to tidy up his car and yard at that time. He/they (its a home occupied by 4-5 unrelated adults) turn on their flood lights located 30' from my bedroom window. Even with the blinds shut some light gets through.

The noise is moderate - not loud but combined with the bright light it wakes me up. Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neighbor does yard work at 4:59 am
Posted by: HOA ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:32AM

If you have a HOA, check the by-laws and see what it says about noise restrictions, etc.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:50AM

Call the FFX Police non-emergency number 703 691-2131 and report it. They will come out and chat with your idiot neighbor, provide him with your name, so your neighbor can harass you for calling the cops on him.

Posted by: Helper ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:52AM

Take a shit in a paper bag. Place bag of shit on neighbor's front porch. Light bag. Ring doorbell. Run.

Posted by: BB McGee ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:55AM

Get a bb gun and shoot the lights out.

Posted by: Dont Care ()
Date: December 18, 2012 12:10PM

Go to bed earlier. Get up at 4:30. Make coffee. Help him with his important tasks at 4:59.

Posted by: Call The Cops And Report Him ()
Date: December 18, 2012 12:57PM

EarlyMorningLights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ive been waking up at ~5am because my next door
> neighbor likes to tidy up his car and yard at that
> time. He/they (its a home occupied by 4-5
> unrelated adults) turn on their flood lights
> located 30' from my bedroom window. Even with the
> blinds shut some light gets through.
>
> The noise is moderate - not loud but combined with
> the bright light it wakes me up. Suggestions?
If this is in Fairfax County:

1) As described above, all the police at their non-emergency number and complain about the noise.
2) The light is a code violation. Report it here: http://fido.fairfaxcounty.gov/DP1/Metroplex/FairfaxCounty/customerservice/wiz_csr.asp
3) If there are more than 4 unrelated people living in the house, it's a code violation, which you can report at the web site above.

Date: December 18, 2012 02:51PM

Dont Care Wrote:
> Go to bed earlier. Get up at 4:30. Make coffee.
> Help him with his important tasks at 4:59.

Lol we try but the other neighbor across the street likes to fire up his Harley at 1130pm to go out to the bars. He needs to warm it up in this weather so there is 2-3 min of throttling up before he blasts off.

This is in an 'upscale' neighborhood in Fairfax Co. (avg. home cost ~650-750k). The Harley guy I could reason with but what is he going to do if its his primary means of bar transpo? The early riser(s) are what some of you here might call 'beaners.' They are obviously hard working as they are up 2 hrs. before sunrise and I respect that but I wish they could gather their trash and recycling in the evening rather than 5am.

We are new to the neighborhood so I suppose Ill just try to establish a rapport and maybe by spring I can get them to stop waking me and my family up...

Posted by: Upscale? ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:54PM

Upscale is $650-750 in Fairfax? Try average.

Posted by: Call the Cops ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:17PM

First, I believe Fairfax County does not allow more than four unrelated adults to live in a property. You might look that up and take action, if warranted.

Second, it sounds like these people are renters. If so, call the landlord and let them know what's going on.

Third, there are noise ordinances. Call the police when this happens - and no, they will not tell your neighbors who called them.

Let's face it - your neighbors are inconsiderate assholes. You can try and play nice, but in my experience that won't get you too far. These kind of people need a wake up call - preferably from the cops.

Posted by: your answer ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:20PM

If he gets up at 430 then he must go to bed early. Get your own flood light and shine it in his window around 11pm. He will get the hint.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:22PM

Uhh...what renter wastes thier time doing any sort of yard work?

Posted by: Renter ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:26PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Uhh...what renter wastes thier time doing any sort
> of yard work?

And who rents a $750K house? Rent has to be insane.

Posted by: Landlord ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:32PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Uhh...what renter wastes thier time doing any sort
> of yard work?

Hopefully, most of them. It's generally part of a standard lease agreement. I just paid someone $300 to get rid of the leaves that a departing tenant didn't take care of. That will be taken out of his security deposit.

Posted by: Landlord ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:47PM

Renter Wrote:
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Uhh...what renter wastes thier time doing any
> sort
> > of yard work?
>
>
> And who rents a $750K house? Rent has to be
> insane.

Maybe, maybe not. The market has picked up considerably, but a lot of people rented out their houses when they couldn't sell. If they had a lot of equity in the property, they might be more agreeable to a halfway reasonable rent. And $4,000 (just speculating) doesn't look so bad when it's split four ways.

If the house is a rental, it wouldn't surprise me if it was rented to one person who then took in others to defray the cost. Which would be a violation of the lease, and possible grounds for eviction.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: December 18, 2012 03:50PM

Landlord Wrote:
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Uhh...what renter wastes thier time doing any
> sort
> > of yard work?
>
> Hopefully, most of them. It's generally part of a
> standard lease agreement. I just paid someone $300
> to get rid of the leaves that a departing tenant
> didn't take care of. That will be taken out of his
> security deposit.

Lawn service isn't that expensive and will better maintain the value of a property

Posted by: Add it to the lease ()
Date: December 18, 2012 04:05PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
>
> Lawn service isn't that expensive and will better
> maintain the value of a property

It is a good idea if you have more than one property to just add the cost of a bi-weekly lawn service/bi-annual leaf removal and mulching into the rent, and contract with a service to have it done on a schedule.

Tenants will generally not do much to care for a home or yard.

Posted by: Neighboor ()
Date: December 18, 2012 04:31PM

Call the cops? Seriously? Shoot their lights out? What? What a bunch of passive aggressive little girly men on here. Just go tell them the lights bother you.

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: December 18, 2012 06:22PM

Meth, deff meth.

Posted by: EarlyMorningLightsNeighbor ()
Date: December 18, 2012 07:02PM

Yea it me your neighbor Fuck off

Date: December 18, 2012 08:02PM

No the owner lives there and sublets to 3 or 4 other people. There are always at least 5 cars on the street and in the driveway. Since we moved all the other adjacent neighbors (on the other side and across the street) have been very friendly - them not so much. I think there is a language issue and perhaps they are just private. They are just odd.

They improved their completely broken privacy fence with a better fence but it was all patched up with the ugly side facing our house. In addition they chucked fencing posts and debris into our yard for some reason when they did it.

Before we moved in they tried to raise the grade of their back yard by 2-3 feet to level it. Neighbors complained and they had to remove the fill because it was not approved and was literally piled up against the chainlink 3'

They also were busted for keying cars parked in front of their house (odd since they usually have 4 cars overflowing the front of theirs. Im told the owner is from Salvador but everyone I have ever met from Salvador has been really really nice.

Posted by: Let Me Count the Ways... ()
Date: December 18, 2012 08:41PM

...you're neighbor is an asshole, and in violation of half the county code. Take off the rosy glasses. You are dealing with a foreign owner who does not know county code and clearly could care less. Talking to him will not do any good. I would report him for ANY infraction.

Since he is taking in boarders, he needs money - which, if you're lucky - means he's on the brink of foreclosure. Buckle up - you're in for a bumpy ride.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 18, 2012 10:12PM

friskydingo Wrote:
> Meth, deff meth.

That's what I was thinking too.....

Date: December 19, 2012 10:32AM

Let Me Count the Ways... Wrote:
> ...you're neighbor is an asshole, and in violation
> of half the county code. Take off the rosy
> glasses. You are dealing with a foreign owner who
> does not know county code and clearly could care
> less. Talking to him will not do any good. I would
> report him for ANY infraction.
>
> Since he is taking in boarders, he needs money -
> which, if you're lucky - means he's on the brink
> of foreclosure. Buckle up - you're in for a bumpy
> ride.

He has a couple decent cars so it doesnt seem like he is going broke. His borders drive beaters. If he gets even 800 bucks a piece from them that means he is bringing in 2400 dollars plus sharing utilities - I doubt he will lose the house with that kind of income.

They get up and go to work early so I doubt there are drugs involved. I just think he sees no value in participating in neighborhood relations. He and his borders do not communicate when I see them over the fence so I suspect their English is poor or non-existent.

I appreciate much of the informed advice I will keep an eye on flagrant code issues but barring that I will see if I can just go with the flow...

Posted by: Detective Obvious ()
Date: December 19, 2012 10:40AM

Well, we all know anyone dealing or manufacturing meth, or any other drug, doesn't ever go to "work" in the morning, so that thoery is out the window. I mean, why would a drug dealer get up early and go somewhere where they may be able to sell their wares. Preposterous!

Posted by: 47hE4 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 11:04AM

Submit a complaint with the county. They WILL follow up.

http://fido.fairfaxcounty.gov/DP1/Metroplex/FairfaxCounty/customerservice/wiz_csr.asp

Posted by: 459again ()
Date: December 27, 2012 08:42AM

ugh the flood light came on again this morning around 5am and they just left it on. Gotta think of a strategy...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.