HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Interesting documentary on far-Right militias
Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: November 13, 2012 04:26AM

Just for the record, I'm not in a militia nor do I have any serious plans to ever join one. I also wasn't actively seeking out information on militias when I stumbled across this short documentary. I regularly watch documentaries from "VICE" and I was watching their series on the Syrian rebels when this one on militias just happened to catch my eye.

However, I also don't want to join the hordes of militia bashers. I'm sympathetic to the concept of militias generally and actually think it would be quite fun to join a relatively moderate one that concerned itself primarily with community protection; such as voluntary responders to natural disasters, crime watch, and even against a possible foreign military invasion. And yes, even as a defense against government tyranny. And no, I'm not suggesting that we're at that point now. Nor do I expect for it to happen in my lifetime. But philosophically, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the lofty idea of defending your community as a weekend warrior - a modern-day Minuteman - and serving as a bulwark against government tyranny didn't fundamentally appeal to me intellectually and morally.

My main reason for not joining a militia is because I worry that virtually all of them would be led by various sorts of nutjobs that I don't want to be associated with nor socialize with. But maybe I'm just being overly prejudiced. Maybe there really are relatively moderate and sane militias out there. This militia however is too extreme and whacky even for me - and I consider myself pretty far-Right. But regardless, you have to give them credit for their militia essentially imploding after the Oklahoma City bombing. It shows that most people in the militia are essentially good people who didn't want to be associated with terrorist attacks on the U.S. government.

Anywho, that's enough out of me (Sorry. I'm really, really bored since I can't sleep...)

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky49ltgeXRU

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting documentary on far-Right militias
Posted by: Red Bull Warrior ()
Date: November 13, 2012 08:52AM

Yucky24. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, I also don't want to join the hordes of
> militia bashers. I'm sympathetic to the concept of
> militias generally and actually think it would be
> quite fun to join a relatively moderate one that
> concerned itself primarily with community
> protection; such as voluntary responders to
> natural disasters, crime watch, and even against a
> possible foreign military invasion. And yes, even
> as a defense against government tyranny. And no,
> I'm not suggesting that we're at that point now.
> Nor do I expect for it to happen in my lifetime.
> But philosophically, I'd be lying if I didn't
> admit that the lofty idea of defending your
> community as a weekend warrior - a modern-day
> Minuteman - and serving as a bulwark against
> government tyranny didn't fundamentally appeal to
> me intellectually and morally.

There are a lot of things that are great and noble in concept, but break down once you try to implement them in real life.

You can join constructive organizations to accomplish these goals. If you are interested in defending the country from foreign invasions and helping during disasters, you should look into the Virginia National Guard. They even pay you for your time. 5 years ago, it would have been a bad idea since Bush federalized them and was sending them to Iraq, but now you should remain under the control of the Virginia Governor and will not be nationalized for service unless we invade Iran (which will not happen). You'll even have the opportunity to train with regular army, which if you're worried about government tyranny, is a great way to learn from your potential adversary.

>
> My main reason for not joining a militia is
> because I worry that virtually all of them would
> be led by various sorts of nutjobs that I don't
> want to be associated with nor socialize with. But
> maybe I'm just being overly prejudiced. Maybe
> there really are relatively moderate and sane
> militias out there. This militia however is too
> extreme and whacky even for me - and I consider
> myself pretty far-Right. But regardless, you have
> to give them credit for their militia essentially
> imploding after the Oklahoma City bombing. It
> shows that most people in the militia are
> essentially good people who didn't want to be
> associated with terrorist attacks on the U.S.
> government.
>

That's not overly prejudiced. They are all fringe groups. Obviously not every member is on the absolute extreme end of the spectrum, but moderates do not join causes, by definition.

> Anywho, that's enough out of me (Sorry. I'm
> really, really bored since I can't sleep...)
>

Quit drinking Red Bull. Maybe you'd be able to get to sleep if you weren't loading up on all that caffeine, sugar and whatever else is in that crap.

Re: Interesting documentary on far-Right militias
Posted by: Ito ()
Date: November 13, 2012 08:59AM

Red Bull Warrior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quit drinking Red Bull. Maybe you'd be able to
> get to sleep if you weren't loading up on all that
> caffeine, sugar and whatever else is in that crap.

A little bit of exercise during the day would help with the serotonin too. A mile run every day or at least a 20 minute walk really helps you sleep at night. Any form of exercise helps.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.