HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 21, 2012 02:05AM

According to this article the answer is yes:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/our-country/35-years-definitive-tragedy-unluckiest-band-lynyrd-skynyrd-195322185.html

I would've thought the Ramones, but I don't think they started dying off until after the band broke up for good, did they?

Skynyrd is one of the first bands I listened to when I got old enough to start paying attention to music. Not long after I decided they were too rednecky and too 70s southern rock and quit listening to them. But in the last few years I notice that whenever I hear one their old songs I still like it. Some of their stuff is timeless and not so dated.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 02:06AM by tomahawk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: foggy stoner ()
Date: October 21, 2012 09:38AM

Idk I thought a 70s rock group with two brothers which had a hit song. Both were killed young.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: October 21, 2012 10:28AM

The Skynyrd guys were very good musicians, especially by todays standards. They have a lot of really good songs a lot of that had to do with Ronnie Van Zandt. After the plane crash, the other guys had trouble keeping things together, which is what Ronnie did throughout LS's time.

I heard interviews with some of the members and they said they were all afraid of Ronnie and that he would kick your ass if you fucked up. He made them all practice for ridiculous amounts of time, until they had everything perfect.

I think Artimus Pyle got busted for screwing underage girls and the others never invited him to join any further incarnations of the group.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 21, 2012 08:48PM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard interviews with some of the members and
> they said they were all afraid of Ronnie and that
> he would kick your ass if you fucked up. He made
> them all practice for ridiculous amounts of time,
> until they had everything perfect.

Frank Zappa was a hardass about band practice, too. Both groups had really good, tight musicians as a result. Those harmonized guitar solos Skynyrd used to do must have taken a lot of rehearsing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: biohazard ()
Date: October 21, 2012 08:54PM

No. Meade Skelton and his geriatric group of losers is the unluckiest band ever. At least Lynyrd Skynyrd made money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: the real biohazard ()
Date: October 21, 2012 08:56PM

biohazard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No. Meade Skelton and his geriatric group of
> losers is the unluckiest band ever. At least
> Lynyrd Skynyrd made money.


Your eesh is showing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 21, 2012 10:54PM

tomahawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to this article the answer is yes:
>
> http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/our-country/35-years-
> definitive-tragedy-unluckiest-band-lynyrd-skynyrd-
> 195322185.html
>
> I would've thought the Ramones, but I don't think
> they started dying off until after the band broke
> up for good, did they?
>
> Skynyrd is one of the first bands I listened to
> when I got old enough to start paying attention to
> music. Not long after I decided they were too
> rednecky and too 70s southern rock and quit
> listening to them. But in the last few years I
> notice that whenever I hear one their old songs I
> still like it. Some of their stuff is timeless and
> not so dated.

I dunno...Badfinger's story is pretty tragic. Not sure if it's bad luck, but the whole downward spiral started with the collapse of Apple records.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: Vincent the pizza man ()
Date: October 21, 2012 11:10PM

I just read the Badfinger Wiki. Damn, they got fucked over pretty bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 21, 2012 11:24PM

Vincent the pizza man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just read the Badfinger Wiki. Damn, they got
> fucked over pretty bad.


That kind of shit happens a lot, though. Music is a dirty business.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 22, 2012 08:41AM

@trogdor- I forgot all about Badfinger, prety depressing tale about how they were screwed fro their money by management when they were viable and creative and then cut loosse when they were dried up. Two founding members hanged themselves.


Skynyrd were really talented, as tired as I got of hearing them growing up, they really had good guitars. Steve Gaines who was only witht he band one album was really talented also, I never knew he shared a vocal with Van Zant on "Got that Right" until I saw a video recently.

The core of the band was really fucked up after the plane crash, supposedly Allen Collins used to inject anything he could get his hands on and eventaully paralyzed himself in a car wreck. Even for a parapalegic, dying in a hospital of pneumonia at 39 is way too young.

I heard the Artimus Pyle story, he denies the kid touching (of course) and claims he took a plea bargain to avoid the possibility of a longer sentence etc. I saw his band pulling a wrapped Artimus Pyle Band trailer on Wilson Bridge a few years ago, so I guess he is still in music.

Billy Powell died of a heart attack, I think Leon Wilkenson had liver problems, which usually don't come from over-attending church.

I think Gary Rossington is the only original member. Ricky Meadlocke from Blackfoot is in the band along with some other ringers. IMO they really have a boring sound and they write really lame and pandering songs- all guns, god and country.

I hear they still draw big crowds in Richmond, seriously.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: October 22, 2012 04:59PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd died in the plane crash, all the other incarnations are basically tribute bands,,,

Without question a lot of their music still holds up after all these years and their musical talent/ skills are more noticable today than they were back in the day,,,musicians who can actually play their instruments are getting rare in "main stream" music,,,
Attachments:
Lynyrd-Skynyrd-1977-Street-Survivors.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: 3rd Pedal ()
Date: October 22, 2012 05:24PM

+1, Hatemotor. Bands like Steely Dan and RUSH would never get off the club circuit in today's music marketplace. Lynyrd Skynyrd too.

Next year marks 40 years since 'Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd" debuted. Will anyone still be listening to Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga in 40 years?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: October 22, 2012 06:19PM

the alman brothers band was pretty unlucky too. Some of that was self inflicted and from what Ive read Greg Alman is a Jack ass but hey, who has a band with one member dieing on his motorcyle then a year later same thing happens to a second member of the band? Then who dates CHER? id do some heavy drugs too if I had to marry and put up with her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 22, 2012 06:39PM

ferfux Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the alman brothers band was pretty unlucky too.
> Some of that was self inflicted and from what Ive
> read Greg Alman is a Jack ass but hey, who has a
> band with one member dieing on his motorcyle then
> a year later same thing happens to a second member
> of the band? Then who dates CHER? id do some
> heavy drugs too if I had to marry and put up with
> her.

Gregg Allman is a snitch, a hot joker, a tellin' motherfucker.


idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam



Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: CD ()
Date: October 22, 2012 07:35PM

foggy stoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Idk I thought a 70s rock group with two brothers
> which had a hit song. Both were killed young.


Wha? Ok there were two brothers in The Marshall Tucker Band. Tommy and Toy Caldwell. Tommy Caldwell was killed in a car accident at the age of 30 in 1980.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 22, 2012 11:18PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lynyrd Skynyrd died in the plane crash, all the
> other incarnations are basically tribute bands,,,

Truth.

> Without question a lot of their music still holds
> up after all these years and their musical talent/
> skills are more noticable today than they were
> back in the day,,,musicians who can actually play
> their instruments are getting rare in "main
> stream" music,,,

Also truth. At least there is a huge underground with lots of good music, and thanks to the internet it's not hard to find like it was back in the day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Lynyrd Skynyrd the most unlucky band ever?
Posted by: hawkey ()
Date: October 23, 2012 04:15AM

The Pretenders


Chrissie Hynde is a black widow

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **     **   *******   ********    ******  
  **   **   ***   ***  **     **  **     **  **    ** 
   ** **    **** ****  **         **     **  **       
    ***     ** *** **  ********   ********   **       
   ** **    **     **  **     **  **     **  **       
  **   **   **     **  **     **  **     **  **    ** 
 **     **  **     **   *******   ********    ******  
This forum powered by Phorum.