HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Boot Thread (Timberland vs. Red Wing)
Posted by: Urbanist ()
Date: October 15, 2012 10:59PM

I've been wearing Timberlands for 15 years. I'm in the market for a new pair of boots this season but Timberlands are getting more expensive while their quality has really fallen. The new ones on the shelf now have no instep support and the uppers overall just feel totally flimsy.

I've been hearing a lot of Red Wing boot ads but, their overcompensating ads are a bit obnoxious. "The man who wears Red Wing boots takes his work seriously. He believes in a fair day's wage for a fair day's work. He's also got a big dick, too..."

If they're good boots at a nice price, I guess me and my 4 inches can live with our failings. Does anyone know anything about Red Wing boots and is there another brand I should be looking at?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Boot Thread (Timberland vs. Red Wing)
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:09PM

Red Wings are expensive, but they are like wearing a pair of dreams. I wore my pair until the tread completely wore off. And, they're made of high-quality leather, so they won't crack or anything like cheaper leather boots.

If you've never worn Red Wings, give 'em a try. You won't regret it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:15PM

If you want to spend a bit more money, you can't beat Danner.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

Posted by: LEATHERMAN ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:17PM

I have several pairs of red wings. From The expensive, made in usa line.. They WILL last you a lifetime, the soles may not, but can be redone by red wing or your cobbler for a fee. Goodyear welted, if that means anything to you.

Posted by: Creature ()
Date: October 16, 2012 12:07AM

I bought a pair of Timberlands this year and they started to come apart a few weeks ago. I got 4 months out of them...not happy with the quality so I will go with something else in the future.

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: October 16, 2012 12:27AM

Red Wings and it isn't even close,,,

I've bought 2 pairs in 10 years and it wasn't because the first pair wore out, I just needed a diffeent type of shoe,,,

They will outlast 10-20 pairs of cheap shoes,,,

The Red Wing Shoe brand is still primarily handmade in the USA at the company's plants in Potosi, Missouri and Danville, Kentucky and two plants in Red Wing, Minnesota.
Attachments:
red-wing-shoes.jpg

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: October 16, 2012 12:16PM

I have a pair of Redwing boots and they are definatley the most comfotable boots I've ever owned. When I have to wear them I'm on my feet for 8 or 10 hours at a time, well with a few breaks thrown in, but they really are the only thing that makes it possible.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: October 16, 2012 01:44PM

I bought a pair of shit kickers and they started falling apart after 1 month. I purchased them online with a discount and thought maybe they were just selling a batch of defects. Guess they're just crap boots now, sold out the same way the north face did.

Posted by: SiriusB ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:32PM

Most of what once used to be really good shoes and boots made in America have been outsourced across the board, and the once comfortable shoes are now found to be composed wholly of cheapened materials, unwearable, and are found to be made in China, where cheap materials and labor guarantees they can be sold at a fraction of the price of things once made here. They don't appear able or willing to ergonomically design or engineer footwear over there that actually lasts, much less contours the support needs of feet that have to bear the size weight of an American-sized person--even the sizes made over there are not true to sizes the way they used to be in this country.
I've had to throw out many pairs of new shoes from once trusted brand names because after a couple of days wear, I could not stand to have them on for more than 2 hours a day. Most shoes sold in America now are made in China on flat lasts with no built-in real foot support. If you are standing and walking miles a day on concrete at work, this becomes a critical health issue real fast, because soon you won't be walking around any more at all due to the resulting foot problems. So, all you can do is try to find and patronize some of the places that still sell good, American-made boots, such as those in the far western and northern regions where people still care about quality and comfort and still insist on quality footwear made in America. The Danner Boots mentioned above are excellent. Other places to check out on the net include Duluth Trading Co., The Sierra Trading Post, and I am sure there are others I have not found yet.

Just be aware that these are going to be a whole lot more expensive because they are made in small quantities by careful artisans, not mass produced. But they will last much of a lifetime if you can get your sizing correct on an internet order, and of course over the long run, will outlast tens of the cheap ones you have to throw out in short order!.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: October 16, 2012 11:08PM

I bought a pair of Zamberlain's for backpacking two years ago, they are italian made but are solid. I put about 250miles on them, heavier then typical backpacking boot but are 100% water proof. Get them on sale and they are great buy.

What i like about the pair i have is that the sole is slightly rockered increasing walking efficiency with each foot strike.

Posted by: Have you earned your Red Wings? ()
Date: October 17, 2012 07:01AM

I used to wear Timberlands in the 80's. Was a great boot for comfort but wasn't designed for outdoor wear. Found Red Wing and never looked back. Built for comfortable outdoor wear and last forever. Was an engineer and boots were used for everything including tower climbs, foundation work, foul weather and everything in between. Been to some of the most extreme places in this world and Red Wings brought me home. They look like shit but I don't go to Alaska for "date night". Soles due wear out but not from age, but high milage.

Posted by: dark penis ()
Date: October 17, 2012 07:37AM

Not all of Red Wings' boots are made in the US. In fact, it is becoming more and more difficult to find a pair of US made Red Wings. The last pair of Red Wings I bought had to be made; they didn't have any in stock or on the shelf at another store.(Fredericksburg)

Go to the Red Wing website and do a search first before you decide on a pair. You may be disappointed.

Red Wings are great boots, for the past 30 years that's all I've worn at work. They last almost forever, 9-10 years is the longest I've gotten out of one pair. You can re-sole them almost forever as well. They used to be 100% US made but couldn't compete with all the Chinese imports and have had to do the same. Their Irish Setter line was pretty comfortable, not sure if they still make them or not.

Check the boots first, you DO NOT want to spend $$$$ on Chinese boots.

Posted by: timmybubba ()
Date: September 30, 2013 08:22PM

I just bout a pair of 877 Irish Setter Red Wings and they are pretty comfotable I have an older pair that my father in law gave me cause he retiered from the pipe fitters union and he says thats all he has ever worn. I got a new pair cause his are a size 11 and i wear a 10. His are still in really good condition and from what I understand their about 6 or 7 years old. I love my red wings however i do think they are a little expensive. I also have a cheaper pair of Doctor Sholls work boots steel toe that are very comfotable and were only 85 dollars and from the few reviews Ive read are pretty good boots for the money......

Posted by: timmybubba ()
Date: September 30, 2013 08:23PM

Another good brand of work boots are Carolina's.

Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: October 01, 2013 01:14AM

My favorite bootmaker is Zamberlan:

http://www.zamberlanusa.com/

Functionality is sexy. Bitches love a man who's always prepared to summit Mount Rainier...

Posted by: juan medina ()
Date: March 25, 2015 07:29PM

Red wing has the same amount of USA made as they always did, the average consumer sees all the China stuff and assumes they sold out. But signature styles that were usa, stayed usa and are still around...want a cheaper or stylish alternative? They try to offer that with Worx and Irish setter. so the company can keep you in one spot. A ploy maybe but there's not LESS usa made boots there..at least at my red wing store, and the guys there actually do their job, not like Sears or an outlet.

Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: June 02, 2021 12:55AM

juan medina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Red wing has the same amount of USA made as they
> always did, the average consumer sees all the
> China stuff and assumes they sold out. But
> signature styles that were usa, stayed usa and are
> still around...want a cheaper or stylish
> alternative? They try to offer that with Worx and
> Irish setter. so the company can keep you in one
> spot. A ploy maybe but there's not LESS usa made
> boots there..at least at my red wing store, and
> the guys there actually do their job, not like
> Sears or an outlet.

What's your opinion about goods from Worx? I noticed they began manufacturing thermo clothing and other interesting tools, but I found no feedbacks in the web, only worx customer service .

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.