HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Chantilly :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
turley hall
Posted by: 2hot2handle ()
Date: July 10, 2007 10:16PM

I would like any information about Turley Hall and or pictures. Also who knows about the slave cemetery behind the house which was located accross from franklin middle school on barnsfield rd. any other information about some olden houses that no longer exist. Any information on Leslie Coates who lived in chantilly from 1909 and died in 1999.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turley hall
Posted by: live in chantilly ()
Date: July 11, 2007 09:36AM

I just bought a book at the store at Frying Pan Park called Voices of Chantilly. It had vignettes of life in Chantilly before Dulles came along. Leslie Coates is one of the people who wrote something.

It was pretty interesting to see how much this area has changed.

Date: July 11, 2007 09:40AM

That same book, Voices of Chantilly, has a two page section about Turley Hall and two pictures.

Posted by: tillyfolk ()
Date: July 11, 2007 01:44PM

My Father went into Turley Hall back in the 90's when it was abandoned before they tore it down and he said it had concrete flooring and was one of the most bizarre houses he's ever seen.

I'll have to buy that book because there is a lot of information I have dug up thru the internet such as the history of sully plantation(old summer job)but I am sure there is so much more. I also was able to dig up information of the family cemeterys that exist in Chantilly that go back to the early 1800's(most of which there locations are unknown). There also use to be a airport where Dulles airport is now at. There was also a lot of abandoned house I saw in the early in the 90's that no longer exist that are probably pretty old. IE. the abandoned house behind the exxoon gas station near the cvs in Sully plaza.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 11, 2007 10:16PM

The wikipedia article on dulles airport contains some great factoids for further research/reading...

Like, the song chantilly lace stopped them from naming the airport "chantilly airport".

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: July 14, 2007 05:17PM

live in chantilly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just bought a book at the store at Frying Pan
> Park called Voices of Chantilly. It had vignettes
> of life in Chantilly before Dulles came along.
> Leslie Coates is one of the people who wrote
> something.
>
> It was pretty interesting to see how much this
> area has changed.

I have that book. It's so interesting. Lots of pictures of Chantilly before all the development.

Did Leslie Coates' house get torn down to make way for this Centreville road widening? It was close to the road...

Posted by: live in Chantilly ()
Date: July 16, 2007 09:07AM

I don't know if Leslie Coate's house was torn down. There is still one older looking house in the stretch between Lowe St and Franklin Farms Dr.

The whole Lowe street neighborhood has been torn down and new houses are being built there. Mary Harrison Lowe has a chapter in the book and it ends with her saying she's lived in the same house on Lowe St. for 46 years! I think her's must've been the one right on the corner of Lowe and Centreville Rd. Really sad that we tear down perfectly fine houses for newer ones...

Posted by: tilly19yrDeep ()
Date: August 12, 2007 12:32PM

There is a old renovated farmhouse along Lees Corner Road between Springhaven Rd. and the Armfield Pool(it faces the rd.) that belongs to the guy who owned most of armfield farm and Franklin Glen. It used to be farmland untill it got developed.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: November 17, 2007 01:00AM

We used to sneak over to Turley Hall after school at Franklin in 93-94 before they tore it down. I knew of the kid that set the first floor on fire- if it wasnt for him it may still be standing today. It was so vandalized it was almost beyond repair. That place was crazy!! The basement had a cell in it, there was old furniture and someone said there was a tunnel in the basement that went out to the airport. I never saw it, but I know a group of 10-15 of us (boys & girls) were so scared we left.

Posted by: Manbearpig ()
Date: February 18, 2008 12:51PM

a tunnel to the airport? thats freakin crazy dude- iwanna go!
u sure u got the right house? look at the image posted with this message to see

and u know the road that Turley was located on (barnsfield rd), usedto go further, like, way into dulles airport, in fact there was another plantation if u kept going. The Udvar-Hazy center was built over the ruins of that plantation (it was called Leeton)

the 2nd pic is of the abandoned section of Barnsfield Rd thats INSIDE airport property now
Attachments:
Turley House.JPG
Barnsfield Rd In Dulles.JPG

Posted by: pictures ()
Date: February 19, 2008 07:18AM

WHere did u find those pictures?

Posted by: manbearpig ()
Date: February 19, 2008 02:45PM

from a variety of bookscans, websites, and some of my own photography as well

anyway the big picture of the house underneath is of Leeton - looked quite beautiful. i hope u find it as interesting as i do, seeing as where that house stood is now the massive parking lot at the Udvar-Hazy center
Attachments:
Leeton House.JPG

Date: February 19, 2008 08:51PM

manbearpig,
yep, that was the house. right across from franklin middle. that pic creeps me out! i remember going in the basement with my friends, we had to use lighters to see once we were inside. the steps upstairs were all broken, so to get on the main level you had to go through the porch (to the right of the house, in your pic). I remember walking around the house to get to the porch, and someone had left a stuffed pair of jeans, hanging from outside of one of the doors- so when you walked around it looked like a dead person laying there. we also went up into the attic (in daylight) and there was a box that looked like a coffin. my friend actually fell through the ceiling to the floor below, LOL. that place was cool until david wikes set it on fire :(

Posted by: manbearpig ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:45PM

thats mad tight - do you konw of any other places (That still exist) that u've explored and are interesting?

SE Wrote:
> manbearpig,
> yep, that was the house. right across from
> franklin middle. that pic creeps me out! i
> remember going in the basement with my friends, we
> had to use lighters to see once we were inside.
> the steps upstairs were all broken, so to get on
> the main level you had to go through the porch (to
> the right of the house, in your pic). I remember
> walking around the house to get to the porch, and
> someone had left a stuffed pair of jeans, hanging
> from outside of one of the doors- so when you
> walked around it looked like a dead person laying
> there. we also went up into the attic (in
> daylight) and there was a box that looked like a
> coffin. my friend actually fell through the
> ceiling to the floor below, LOL. that place was
> cool until david wikes set it on fire :(

Posted by: theLEGEND ()
Date: May 30, 2008 09:51PM

that shit is so interesting. I use to work at Sully Plantation and I use to read the history of chantilly in a book of the same title everday at lunch

Posted by: Chantilly girl ()
Date: June 02, 2008 11:24PM

It is a shame that Turley Hall was torn down. This house should have been preserved as a historical landmark. I knew the family that lived in it during the 70's, the Warrens. I lived on Lowe street, right down Centreville Rd. about a 1/4 mile. This house was suppose to be haunted. A family member of mine was best friends w/ the youngest Warren child and had spent the night there and said it was so creepy!! She said that you could hear foot steps in the basement when there was nobody down there. The family was use to these noises and were not spooked by them anymore. There were bodies buried in the basement that had been there since the war. There were lots of spooky things that happened there. Even with all of that info. it is still ashame that it was torn down.

Just to set the record straight, Mary Harrison did not live on the corner of Lowe street, she was the third house on the left on Lowe street. Shelia and Leo Coats lived on the corner in the big White house. Does anyone remember the Coats parties? They were a blast!!

Chantilly has changed a lot over the years. It use to be a real small town w/ one stop light, no fast food, one gas station, post office, bank, Smith and Sons, and of course Cash and Carry! My family has been in Chantilly since the 40's. My parents and I all went to Floris Elem. and we all had the same 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Bradley. All of my family members in this area had her (there are lots of us). Floris Elem. was origionally at Frying Pan Park, it burnt down and now is on Centreville Rd.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: June 08, 2008 09:53PM

What was the name of the House and dairy Farmhouse off Frying Pan Rd and rt 28 across from dulles airport. I went there a couple times. the house was pretty well vandalized. the silo and the farmhouse were intact. It was torn down not too long ago.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103603049544255227252.00044f320afd40b8afec5&ll=38.941495,-77.425984&spn=0.001533,0.003133&t=h&z=19

Posted by: Chantilly_girl ()
Date: June 09, 2008 07:38PM

The Middleton Farm, I am not sure if it had another name. John Middleton was the owner.

Date: June 09, 2008 08:54PM

Chantilly Girl-have you been back to your old neighborhood lately? The new development is going up fast. It's pretty sad to see....I live in the other new neighborhood there, and when we moved in Lowe St. houses were all boarded up. Last summer they were knocked down and this summer are spanking brand new little boxes.

Posted by: championSTATUS ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:33PM

Does anyone know the history of the house accross from cvs in sully plaza, it was directly next to the exxon.

Posted by: Chantilly_girl ()
Date: June 25, 2008 10:58PM

I drove down Lowe st. when the houses were boarded up, I even went through my old house. I did dig up a few plants from my old house and my Grandparents house to bring to my house to plant. I have only driven down Centreville Rd. pass Lowe street, I can't drive down there yet, too sad! It was a wonderful place to grow up. The neighborhood was getting run down, renters will do that. It uses to be a well kept, safe, cozy neighborhood. A lot of us were related and the ones that were not, were very good friends. Chantilly has gone through a lot of changes over the last 25 yrs. It is good in one way, but sad in others. I charish all of my memories there!!

Date: June 26, 2008 01:55PM

championSTATUS Wrote:
> Does anyone know the history of the house accross
> from cvs in sully plaza, it was directly next to
> the exxon.

The green one? It was some type of hospital in the civil war I read somewhere.

Posted by: Michelle ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:50PM

I just stumbled across this post, the same day I read Voices of Chantilly. I gre up in Brookfield; my parents were the original owners in 1967 of a house on Fulmer Dr. Our street at that time ended in a cul-de-sac and my childhood was pretty much spent playing in the woods - Chantilly was still considered to be in the boonies until around 1984, when I graduated high school. I attended Chantilly Secondary for junior high because Rocky Run did not open until I was in 8th grade. Where the woods were, there is now a very nice housing develpment put in the late 80s, Waverly Crossing, but the beauty of the area was completely destroyed. We used to wander back in to the woods and play in the abandoned corn crib and carriage house that I'm sure served the owners of the land that was sold off to become Brookfield. I always had this sense of continuity with the older Chantilly because of these remnants of the past. I still remember the big grain building across from the old post office on Route 50, and Downs Store, with its sloping wood floor.

I can honestly say now that the only resemblance between the 1980s and now on that stretch of Route 50 is the old log house (Mitchell-Weeks Home - now, unbelivably, a Quizno's) and Chantilly Cash n Carry. Very sad! I raised my daughter here, in Greenbriar, and she still doesn't believe that this place used to be so countrified. As to Turley Hall, and Leeton, it was no less than a crime to allow those historic family homes to disintegrate until they were burned. (Actually, I don't know what cuased the demise of Leeton). But I'm sure that the county encouraged this policy of neglect because of the strong pro-development interests that controleld the county until the 1990s. It's a disgrace.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: September 13, 2008 08:14PM

Michelle, It is a shame Chantilly hasn't modernized with aesthetics and history in mind, although there is a great deal of it. I think an element which was highly discouraging in the idea of preservation was the construction of the airport between '58 and '62.

Cool: go to historicaerials.com, and look up your address. Look at the difference between 1957 and today. It's astounding. And look at all the homes, farms, and the little town torn down to make room for the airport, its interesting.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: December 31, 2008 01:32PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
> What was the name of the House and dairy Farmhouse
> off Frying Pan Rd and rt 28 across from dulles
> airport. I went there a couple times. the house
> was pretty well vandalized. the silo and the
> farmhouse were intact. It was torn down not too
> long ago.
>
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0
> &msid=103603049544255227252.00044f320afd40b8afec5&
> ll=38.941495,-77.425984&spn=0.001533,0.003133&t=h&
> z=19
Attachments:
Horsepen House2.jpg

Posted by: Pennsboro-tk ()
Date: January 30, 2009 12:00AM

Michelle:

I too grew up in Brookfield wandering the woods and fields of Chantilly. I found this post while looking for info on Down's Store. We used to fish in Down's creek (Flatlick Run) and used to find and cash in a few returnable Coke bottles and buy a Pepsi from the soda machine outside Down's. They were so cold they had ice in them. Great on those hot summer days. We'd also go there for Wacky Packs.

Good Times. I moved in the late 70's. Only went to Chantilly High in 7th grade.

Posted by: tillyfolk ()
Date: February 09, 2009 12:44AM

Do you have any other info about the neighborhood on lowe st? I used to ride my bike about 8-9 years thru armfield farms to get to Chantilly Road. there was a shortcut from chantilly rd to get to sully plaza before that neighborhood was there. All it was was a private drive off of chantilly rd. with an abandoned house(that we were first ones to explore it) and beyond the house was just brush with a hard to see path leading up to sully plaza directly to the left of kmart. There was this old farmer guy that lives at the end of chantilly rd(near armfield farm bball courts) he had random sketchy stuff in his backyard, but back to lowe st., was that the first neighborhood in chantilly..also I remeber at the end of lowe st, there was a little pond behind a fence that is directly behind the back of kmart, i use to see kids doing motocross back there..

Posted by: toasty ()
Date: February 10, 2009 02:48PM

Michelle Wrote:
> I can honestly say now that the only resemblance
> between the 1980s and now on that stretch of Route
> 50 is the old log house (Mitchell-Weeks Home -
> now, unbelivably, a Quizno's)

LOL WTF??
MMM TOASTY

Posted by: kPNt9 ()
Date: February 23, 2009 04:05PM

SE Wrote:
> manbearpig,
> yep, that was the house. right across from
> franklin middle. that pic creeps me out! i
> remember going in the basement with my friends, we
> had to use lighters to see once we were inside.
> the steps upstairs were all broken, so to get on
> the main level you had to go through the porch (to
> the right of the house, in your pic). I remember
> walking around the house to get to the porch, and
> someone had left a stuffed pair of jeans, hanging
> from outside of one of the doors- so when you
> walked around it looked like a dead person laying
> there. we also went up into the attic (in
> daylight) and there was a box that looked like a
> coffin. my friend actually fell through the
> ceiling to the floor below, LOL. that place was
> cool until david wikes set it on fire :(

"WIKES ","DAVID ","S","021"," 13202","GRAND JUNCTION ","DR","FAIRFAX ","VA","07/27/2002","RECKL/SPEED OVER 80 MPH "
"WIKES ","DAVID ","S","022"," 13202","GRAND JUNCTION ","DR","FAIRFAX ","VA","07/21/2003","EXPIRED STATE LIC PLATE "
"WIKES ","DAVID ","S","023"," 13202","GRAND JUNCTION ","DR","FAIRFAX ","VA","04/06/2004","EXP COUNTY STICKER "
"WIKES ","DAVID ","S","023"," 13202","GRAND JUNCTION ","DR","FAIRFAX ","VA","04/06/2004","NO/STATE INSPECTION "
"WIKES ","DAVID ","S","023"," 13202","GRAND JUNCTION ","DR","FAIRFAX ","VA","04/06/2004","RECKLESS DRIVING GENERAL "

Posted by: TH Owner Relative ()
Date: August 12, 2009 03:39PM

Believe TH was my great grandfather's place. He was Lycurgus E. Hutchison (b. 1834, d. 1923), a Virginia gentleman farmer by day and one of Mosby's Rangers (43rd Battalion, Virginia Calvary, Company A) by night. My grandfather lived in TH as a young boy.

Posted by: FUNKY FRESH ()
Date: August 20, 2009 09:35AM

MY OLD NEIGHBOR OWNED THE PLANT STORE BEFORE QUIZNOS GOT IT, THE PLACE WAS SO NEAT AND OLD IT HAD A BRICK ROOM ABOVE THE FIRE PLACE THAT WAS REALLY COOL THERE USED TO BE 2 OLD BUILDINGS BUT THEY TORE ONE DOWN

Posted by: FUNKY FRESH ()
Date: August 20, 2009 09:37AM

SOUTH RIDING WAS A GOLD MINE OF ABANDOMED HOUSES WHEN THEY STARTED DEVELOPING WHOLE STREETS OF HOUSES, WAS LIKE A GHOST TOWN!

Posted by: Jon Miller ()
Date: June 29, 2010 04:44PM

Hi folks, this is an interesting thread. I grew up next door to Turley Hall, on Barnsfield Road. My family went to church (Ox Hill Baptist) with the Warrens, who lived there for a while; I barely remember them because I was just a toddler. Just to clear a few things up:

1) There were rumors that there were two Civil War era soldiers buried in the dirt floor of the basement, but it is my understanding that in 1991/92, local archeologists searched the grounds around the home, along with the basement, and found no evidence of that.

2) There are two slave graves right off of Barnsfield Rd., which were technically on the Turley property; when I was a child, they were barely legible. The latest imagery from Google Maps can lead you to their location (assuming they haven't been desecrated) - there's still a rough driveway entrance to my old house there on Barnsfield (at least as of approx. 12/2009), and the two slave graves were directly across from that driveway, about 20-40 feet back in the brush.

3) When the Warrens moved into Turley Hall (so my mom has told me), the top floor rooms had their doors chained shut; no idea why, but that is freaky. Also, the couple of church youth sleepovers there that my mom chaperoned were pretty spooky; the wind in the chimney made a sound like a woman wailing.

Posted by: sullyy ()
Date: July 05, 2010 01:20PM

Jon Miller Wrote:
> Hi folks, this is an interesting thread. I grew
> up next door to Turley Hall, on Barnsfield Road.
> My family went to church (Ox Hill Baptist) with
> the Warrens, who lived there for a while; I barely
> remember them because I was just a toddler. Just
> to clear a few things up:
>
> 1) There were rumors that there were two Civil
> War era soldiers buried in the dirt floor of the
> basement, but it is my understanding that in
> 1991/92, local archeologists searched the grounds
> around the home, along with the basement, and
> found no evidence of that.
>
> 2) There are two slave graves right off of
> Barnsfield Rd., which were technically on the
> Turley property; when I was a child, they were
> barely legible. The latest imagery from Google
> Maps can lead you to their location (assuming they
> haven't been desecrated) - there's still a rough
> driveway entrance to my old house there on
> Barnsfield (at least as of approx. 12/2009), and
> the two slave graves were directly across from
> that driveway, about 20-40 feet back in the
> brush.
>
> 3) When the Warrens moved into Turley Hall (so my
> mom has told me), the top floor rooms had their
> doors chained shut; no idea why, but that is
> freaky. Also, the couple of church youth
> sleepovers there that my mom chaperoned were
> pretty spooky; the wind in the chimney made a
> sound like a woman wailing.

Cool! What about the tunnels? Did you live there before or after Dulles was built?

Date: July 06, 2010 02:04PM

sullyy wrote:

Cool! What about the tunnels? Did you live there before or after Dulles was built?

I lived there from 1973 through 1984; my folks knew the Warrens fairly well, and there was never any mention of any tunnels to Dulles Airport. I'm sure that is just a fabricated rumor; after all, for there to be any tunnels from Turley Hall to Dulles, it would have meant that:

1) The owners would have wanted some tunnels over to Dulles during the time that Dulles was being constructed (through 1962). There would have been no logical reason for the owners to have wanted such a tunnel. But, if they did....

2) Then they would have had to either tunneled from within the basement, bringing all excavated material out through the house (which would have been terribly tedious and a huge waste of manpower), or....

3) The ground leading from the home towards Dulles would have been torn up to create such a tunnel; I roamed those fields all the time as a boy, and never once saw ANYthing which looked like a remnant of construction anywhere on the property (except back towards the far end of Barnsfield Rd., where a guy had some pigs that he kept, and there were a couple of old rotted-out sheds which were mostly torn down already when I was a boy). AND...

4) The owners would have had to have received some sort of permission from the constructors of Dulles Airport, something which seems unlikely.

I highly doubt that any such tunnels existed, as there was no reason for them, no evidence of their construction, and no mention of them ever.

Posted by: sdfsdfasd ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:31AM

is there anything remaining of leeton?

Posted by: JF ()
Date: July 13, 2010 06:00PM

I went to Franklin from 1992-93, we used to sneak over there and smoke cigarettes in the top floor room to the left. Not only was that a great house, the house was spooky as can be. We went there one night as 13 year olds and were freaked out beyond belief. I drive by that spot all the time and remember that house. I even have pictures of the inside of that place somewhere in a box in my garage. If I find them I will surely post them here.

Thanks for the very cool thread!

Date: July 14, 2010 11:22AM

A great story from Turley Hall....

A gal who worked with the youth group at our church (when I was in high school) had been friends with one of the Warren girls when they were both in middle/high school.

She was over one day, in the Warren girls' room, doing whatever. That bedroom had an anteroom off of it, that you could only get to from the bedroom (no door from the hall into that room or anything like that). They were hanging out, and a young man (teens) walked from the anteroom, through the bedroom, and out into the hall. He didn't say anything, just walked through there.

So here's what's freaky: nobody else was home. And when they got un-freaked out enough to look, nobody else was in the house. Nobody had broken in or anything like that.

Spooky, for sure!

Posted by: me too ()
Date: July 14, 2010 11:08PM

I remember that room! JF, I'm not sure who you are, but we probably were there at one point together (I was at Franklin then, too). Although I was never brave enough to go in there at night.

I remember going in through the main level entrance (looking at the house, it was the side door on the right), and if you walked straight in from that door, there was a door to a room on the left that nobody could open. I remember also going upstairs, everything was vandalized, but I remember thinking it was weird that the bathroom had a pretty modern toilet and sink. I don't remember anyone actually living there in the 80's even but I could be wrong.

There was also a creepy old basketball court outside, overgrown with weeds and bushes. We all went over there after school one day and decided to go in through the basement...I don't think I made it in 10 feet I was so freaked out. There were weird chairs everywhere, just crazy stuff that shouldnt have been down there. I was sad to see the house torn down, not that I would have went back to navigate these days, but it was a pretty cool old house with lots of history.

Mr. Miller, do you know anything about the house being used as an institution of sorts, perhaps in the 70's or 80's? I have heard so many different things about the place growing up, but that seems to stand out. It may just be an urban legend though.

Posted by: YU ()
Date: July 15, 2010 02:59AM

is there anything left? basement or basketball court or anything?

Date: July 20, 2010 10:38PM

@me too...

No, the place was never used as an institution, unless you count the basement being used as a clinic during the Civil War. :)

The house was occupied by the Warrens until the early 80s (maybe 81?) After that it sat empty, and then was abandoned as the property (all 700ish acres) sat for sale for a long time.

@YU....

there's nothing left as far as I know. Last time drove by, the only thing left was some land in general (it wasn't ALL built up yet), but nothing of the house remains at all. Heck, I don't even know if MY old house is still there (I live in NC now).

Posted by: heyojn ()
Date: July 22, 2010 12:55AM

@Jon Miller: is this your house?

Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: July 24, 2010 01:03PM

Chantilly, go down walney road to bottomof the hill pass the bridge it will change names at the light look to right there was a 1700;s house they took down, have the gladd door knobs, a grave yard there dated back before the war.
They own all the farm land to 28 to routh 50 to 28 bridge in chantilly.
I am not sure if they have moved the grave yard yet, they are building office park on the land many of men died there , bodies have been found when digging, they keep it top secert you can feel them walking around.

Date: August 17, 2010 11:52AM

@heyojn

Yeah, that was my house. :)

Posted by: Kay Ware ()
Date: February 07, 2011 03:34PM

Lycurgis Hutchison was also my great grandfather. Would love more information on him if you have it. I am descendant of his daughter Martha Catherine Hutchison who married Eugene C. Shear born at Sully Plantation.

Posted by: turleyman ()
Date: February 08, 2011 04:40PM

theres more info here: http://dullesareahd.50webs.org/chantilly.html
its in the third paragraph and theres a picture next to it

Posted by: One Five ()
Date: February 11, 2011 10:54PM

Kay Ware,
Are you a close relative to Porter Hutchison? If not, then I can probably get you some more family information from his family (who would be relatives of yours). Let me know.

Posted by: historybufff ()
Date: February 16, 2011 09:13PM

From this page:
Turley is said to have been skeptical about the construction of a railway set to cut through his property.

Has anybody tried to find the remains of the railroad? It cut through Sully too, according to that site.

Posted by: Lloyd ()
Date: March 04, 2011 09:32PM

I am Lycurgus Hutchison's graet grandaughter also on the Hutchison side of the family. Would love more information!

Date: March 04, 2011 09:34PM

Jon Miller...are you the Jon Miller married to Ellen? If so please call me!

Posted by: kay ware ()
Date: April 15, 2011 06:51PM

I am Lycurgis Hutchison's great granddaughter also. My grandmother was Martha Catherine Hutchison and grandfather was Eugene Shear. Would love to find out more about the family and how we are related. Let me know if you have any more information on our common relatives.

Date: May 07, 2011 11:46AM

Kay
I sent you an e-mail. I am the grandaughter of Richard Henry Hutchison on my mother's side. He was the third son of Lycurgus and your grandmother was born 2 years after him.

Would love to hear more of your history. I am still trying to figure out Turley Hall. I know my grandfather sold inherited property in that area for Dulles.

Date: June 02, 2011 10:26AM

@historybuff:
Re: the railroad, it was never started; see that article again, it points out that the railroad project was halted due to economics and the civil war. I've been all over that property, and there's definitely no railroad tracks on it (at least not as of my childhood, from mid-70s through ~'84)

@Lloyd:
Nope, never married to an Ellen.

I see on Google Earth that my old house is gone (on Barnsfield Rd.)...anybody know when they finally tore it down? I was fortunate to get a few bricks from it, so I still own a piece of my first home. :)

Posted by: sad ()
Date: June 04, 2011 01:33AM

googled and found a photo snapped of the Turley Hall site today:

Date: July 25, 2011 05:16PM

I do not know a person named Porter Hutchison. link to Lycurgus Hutchison is through his daughter Martha Catherine who was my grandmother. Jane Shear Hutchison
her daughter is my mother. Trying to find out where Lycurgis was born and lived before Herndon and where my grnadmother Martha Catherine Hutchison was born.

Date: July 25, 2011 05:31PM

I am also Lycurgus great grand daughter on my thother's side. His daughter Martha Catherine Hutchison Shear was my grandmother. My mother was Jane Shear Dodge. I am Martha Catherine Dodge Ware. Woud love more info on the Hutchison family and where Lycurgus lived in his early life before he died.

Posted by: Vicious ()
Date: September 04, 2011 10:51PM

Interesting stuff! FWIW, as far as the building used as a hospital/clinic, when there was a battle nearby, almost ANY building would have been pressed into service as a hospital. I'm guessing that the building in question would have been used after the battle of Chantilly in Sept.(?) 1862? I don't know how many troops were involved, but 2 Union Generals (Kearny and Stevens) were KIA in that battle. It goes down as one of the few actual "battles" fought in FFX. CO.

Posted by: cphug184 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 05:15PM

There is construction fencing around the property and a couple hundred feet down Barnsfield, heavy construction equipment has blazed a path into the Turley property. The land looks like it is about to be developed but what about the cemetery? Looks like the path they took went right through it.

I have been following this thread for a few years- placed a geocache at the site fo the old fishpond. Have a couple of plants I salvaged from what was left of the garden.

Thanks everyone for your perspective.

Posted by: Nealxg ()
Date: March 29, 2012 09:29PM

Can you remember if there were any other burial plots on the North side of Barnsfield Rd? (the side your house was on)

Posted by: Nealxg ()
Date: March 29, 2012 09:30PM

@ Jon Miller

Can you remember if there were any other burial plots on the North side of Barnsfield Rd? (the side your house was on)

@Nealxg
Date: September 11, 2012 01:31PM

No, I was all over our property and the property down near the end of Barnsfield as a kid (~'76-'84) and the only grave sites were those across Barnsfield Rd. from our driveway.

(In the picture in this thread, above, which shows a big 40ft. container on my old house's property, the grave site was directly across Barnsfield Road from that spot).

The only thing that I know was buried on our property was our dog Mushie. :)

Posted by: Connected ()
Date: October 28, 2012 04:08PM

The Warren's were family. Somewhere I have a old article about the house being haunted. Lots of unexplained stuff happened there. Sounds in the middle of the night, Sounds like a Ball (Music and People talking) and the sounds stopping when you went down the stairs. A rocking chair moving and the sounds of a baby crying. Lots of items disappearing and turning up months later. The house was amazing as a child and I loved staying there. We knew there were ghost but nothing evil ever occurred there. I hated it when they moved away.

Posted by: Diane ()
Date: March 03, 2013 03:09AM

Was Turley Hall owned by Lycurgus E. Hutchison before the Warren family? My Great-Great Grandfather, Philip A. Hutchison was Lycurgus E. Hutchison's brother, making Lycurgus my 3rd Great Uncle (I would guess). I am researching Hutchison Genealogy and am quickly becoming fasinated with the stories of the Mosby Rangers, whereas Lycurgus E. Hutchison was one of Mosby's Men during the Civil War.

Posted by: yesyes ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:28PM

Diane Wrote:
> Was Turley Hall owned by Lycurgus E. Hutchison
> before the Warren family? My Great-Great
> Grandfather, Philip A. Hutchison was Lycurgus E.
> Hutchison's brother, making Lycurgus my 3rd Great
> Uncle (I would guess). I am researching Hutchison
> Genealogy and am quickly becoming fasinated with
> the stories of the Mosby Rangers, whereas Lycurgus
> E. Hutchison was one of Mosby's Men during the
> Civil War.

yes

Date: April 15, 2013 10:04AM

Can you please give me the dates when Lycurgus E Hutchison lived in Turley Hall.

Posted by: DW138 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:09PM

Hello everyone,

I came across this thread while trying to do some research of my own on an antique book that I purchased last year. I'm not from Chantilly or anywhere in the state of Virginia, and the book came from a store that is located in my state. However, I have a reasonable hunch that this book may be connected to Turley Hall. The book is a copy of "The Columbian Orator," a very old book of speeches. Its title page is unfortunately missing, but it couldn't have been published before 1797 (that was its earliest printing). Its only connections to this thread are the handwritten notes that are preserved inside!

On the inside of the front cover, a person repeatedly wrote their name (possibly a child), and it appears to either be "Maddie," "Mattie," or "Mallie" Hutchison. I'm wondering if this could possibly be the Martha Hutchison that several have already mentioned. She must at least be related to her, because the name "Lycurgus Hutchison" was also written in the same handwriting. "Fairfax" is written two times on these pages. Someone also wrote the year "1797," but this could have just been the bookseller making a note on the possible printing year. M. Hutchison also wrote what appears to be "My friend" repeatedly.

On the next blank page, there is a very large signature that appears to be "C.(or S) L. Bryant Esq." (Esquire?) I haven't found anything on this one yet. A few pages later, on the introductory page, another signature in dark ink, "Charles W. Turley" appears, followed by what is either "'Jallion,' 'Jillion,' or 'Jollion' School" (if anyone knows anything about this, I'd be glad to hear it) and the date July 18, 1828.

This thread was the first real breakthrough for me in finding information on my book, and I feel blessed to have come across the book as well as these posts. I'd love to learn more about Turley Hall and the families who lived in it, as well as I who C/S. L. Bryant might be, or the identity of the school to which Charles Turley apparently had a connection. I'm attaching some pictures of the book so you all can see how old it really is and what I'm talking about in the above paragraphs. I hope this gave someone some answers, and maybe brought up some new questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 09:10PM by DW138.
Attachments:
Hutchison 1.JPG
Hutchison 2.JPG
Bryant.JPG
Turley.JPG
Columbian.JPG

Date: December 01, 2013 02:50PM

I am Martha Katherine Dodge Ware who is the grand daughter of Martha Catherine Hutchison Shear who was the daughter of Lycurgus Hutchison. Martha Catherine Hutchison was called Mattie by many of her relatives and friends so this could be her signature. Please let me know if you have any more information. I am still trying to figure out the dates when Lycurgus and his family lived in Turley Hall

Posted by: Al Hovde ()
Date: January 10, 2014 11:53AM

Hello Kay Ware,

Just reading your posts now. I'm trying to learn more about TH, too. My great grandfather was also Lycurgus E. Hutchison on my mother's side. My mother's father was Lyle Emory Hutchison, the youngest of the Hutchison children. Your grandmother was my grandfather's older sister (I've heard my mother speak of Aunt Mattie). My mother was the 3rd of 6 children, and is now 88 yrs old. Have heard family lore about my grandfather (b. 1892) taking his father by horse & buggy to Mosby gatherings out in Loudon County, VA.

Posted by: marge32 ()
Date: February 28, 2014 05:27PM

L.E. Hutchison purchased the property in January 1889. The Fairfax Herald reported that he was formerly of Unison, Loudoun county, but purchased the Turley property and became a permanent resident of Fairfax.

@DW138 - It looks like Turley's Columbian Orator has Albion School written on it. I don't know of an Albion School, but the property next to Turley, east of Lees Corner Road, was named Albion.

When the Turley's owned the property, they called the farm Clover Hill.

Date: February 21, 2015 03:15PM

If you have any more info or pictures about the time when Lycurgus Hutchison owned Turley Hall I would appreciate hearing about it.

Posted by: Barn's Field ()
Date: March 21, 2015 02:36PM

What is that new building constructed on a portion of the old Turley Hall property over past years all about? Adjacent Catholic School neighbor looks at a crazy fence and lots of security next door.

Posted by: bob ryan ()
Date: June 23, 2015 03:56PM

i don't know leslie coates, but today i ran into a man named leo coates, that said he grew up on a dairy farm called coates dairy farm and was part of the land taken by dulles airport-he said it was 940 acres ???

Posted by: Nicke ()
Date: July 30, 2016 03:03PM

I guess this is old news now. It is a CIA building that you were asking about.

I am also interested in the Turley Hall/Clover Hill property.
Anyone having photos of anyone who ever lived there.
Also, do you know if anyone ever living there was serving in the civil war? Any drawing, photo would be great. I live VERY near the area and had a friend visit that is not from here. She is actually from another country. Knows nothing about history here.
During the last large rain and thunderstorm we sat outside enjoying a dinner on my covered deck. She encountered a run in with a spirit right in front of me.
An old man that was wearing a uniform and had a hat that looked like a park ranger with a wide brim. She was not impressed by his looks... but he kept pointing away from our deck warning us about the fire. The more lightning we got and the harder it rained, the stronger of a presence she experienced. It was wild.
She also said my backyard was very busy, people are walking back and forth marching. They are not well she said. I had goose bumps.

The following day I started looking into history of this area. Low and behold, the direction of where this unusual visitor kept pointing to was directly towards the spot where Turley Hall once stood. When I went to read on the marker that the house had eventually had been torn down due to a fire, my goosebumps came back.
Some interest in the family members in the house that served with the Mosby's rangers. It will be interesting to know what the uniforms looked like. I am going to ask my friend to draw a picture of who she saw that night and compare with what I find out.

When I found out that the battle of Ox hill/Chantilly was fought on a very stormy nightThis I might have hanging around my house when the weather turns bad. :)

Posted by: marge32 ()
Date: July 31, 2016 03:44PM

Clover Hill was owned by Charles W. Turley during the Civil War. His application for Civil War pardon stated he wasn't an officer in the confederate army nor did he bear arms. His son, Richard Turley, did however serve with Mosby.

After the Battle of Dranesville, wounded Civil War soldiers marched down Centreville Road to the hospitals in Centreville.

You might check with the Stuart-Mosby Civil War Cavalry Museum in Centreville to see if they have any photos of Richard Turley.

Posted by: L.J. Sandagger ()
Date: August 17, 2018 01:20AM

Dear Chantilly Girl:

I read your post about knowing the family, the Warrens, who lived in Turley Hall in the 1970s.... I wrote a story about visiting Turley Hall when Mr. Warren had an antique book sale there one Sunday in 1981. I never tried to publish it anywhere...
He told me a little about the place, as I was quite interested in American History, and he was happy to find someone to tell a few things to, which especially concerned plans he had for Turley Hall as a more commercial place with a restaurant and more.
I was going to return the following week with my friend, as he said we would talk further, and I could bring my camera and take pictures. Sadly, he died the next day!

I would be very interested in talking to you about what you remember of Mr. Warren's family and the ghosts!!
Thank you, Linda

Posted by: Ondra ()
Date: September 01, 2018 04:05PM

First there were never any youth group sleepovers in TUrley Hall, chaperones by a Mrs Miller, when the Warrens lived there. I could tell you many stories of the years that we lived in and loved being at Turley Hall.

It was built in 1797, we restored it in 1962/63 and lived there for almost 15 years. Yes, there were friendly spirits who watched over us; rumors were that a family did disappear from the home in late 20's/30's, originally from Ohio; rumors of burials in the basement but never found; son used the "hollows" as a fun guy place.

It was our beloved home with warm and fun memories!

Posted by: ONDRA ()
Date: September 01, 2018 04:10PM

JUST READ YOUR RESEARCH FROM A BOOK THAT LIST TURLEY HALL. MY FAMILY LIVED THERE IN 60'S/70'S.

Posted by: agosggfgdgfsd ()
Date: December 31, 2018 11:09PM

Those cemeteries are still there but now within Dulles Discovery

Posted by: Tiger Balls ()
Date: January 30, 2019 11:21PM

I used to fuck a girl in turley hall. She wiped my cum all over the floor. You can probably still see the cum spots.

Posted by: Woodlands Redstick ()
Date: March 28, 2019 03:04PM

The two Turley Hall cemeteries are preserved on the Dulles Discovery properties. The Turley, Hutchison (or Hutchinson), and Willcoxon (or Willcoxin) Cemetery is Cemetery #62. The number of graves in the cemetery is unknown. The cemetery boundaries have been delineated. The Turley, Hutchison and Willcoxon families all resided at Turley Hall at one point or another. Turley Hall was built around 1824 and burned down in 1995.

The Turley Slave Cemetery is Cemetery #304. This cemetery was delineated in 1996 and 11 graves were recorded. An elderly African-American gentleman who lived near the property was recorded as stating that this cemetery contained the graves of “the slaves and ‘help’” from Turley Hall. So it is possible that it also contains the graves of freedmen and/or other servants associated with Turley Hall post-Civil War. He also stated that the family cemetery (#62) was known as “King’s Hill” and the slave cemetery (#304) was known as “Little Hill”.

Neither cemetery contains headstones. Both cemeteries are protected and located on the Dulles Discovery properties. The buildings onsite are restricted federal government facilities and the property is off limits to the public, without clearance. The Archaeology and Collections Branch, Fairfax County Park Authority is currently reaching out to the developers, the Peterson Companies, to determine how one gets access to the cemeteries. For further information, please reach out to:

Elizabeth A. Crowell, Ph.D.
Archaeology and Collections Branch Manager
Fairfax County Park Authority
(703) 246-5758

Re: Turley Hall
Posted by: L.J.Sandagger ()
Date: September 21, 2019 02:49AM

Have posted on this interesting thread, but received no response from "Chantilly Girl", who knew the Warren family.
I had a very interesting experience, met Mr. Warren when I was there with my husband for an antique book sale, and he told me quite a bit about the legends and apparent hauntings of Turley Hall. This included some of the actual experiences he and his family had been through in that house. I believe he was sincere in all his stories, and he had many plans for the place. It was a beautiful great house, with lovely old landscaping and outbuildings.
Sadly, he never got to put his ideas into action, as he died hours after we left on that weekend!
I would love to know more about what people knew of the spirits, implied threats, and general life of living in such an obviously haunted old place.
He spoke of many odd things that had happened, especially within the last few days, at night. He said we could view the old graveyards, cellar and attic.
I wrote most of what I could remember of his remarks, and am so sorry he died that suddenly, he was young!
Would love to hear from anyone who knows details. Not of just the spirits it is famous for, but what experts have found of the graves, the slaves, the civil war soldiers. He spoke of several burial places. Am also sorry that the beautiful old mansion was destroyed. What a terrible shame. I can only guess no one wanted to live there after he died, as he did feel that the ghosts were "closing in on him".
Ghost or not, he was a brave man to stay there with all that weird activity.

Posted by: gbw ()
Date: September 28, 2019 06:58PM

knew some guys who rented the house at the intersection of Frying Pan and Sunrise Valley in the early 90's. That place was pretty crazy. The owner pretty much let them do whatever they wanted with the house. I assume he thought it was going to be purchased and the land developed way back then??? They main house has been torn down but the barn/shed is still there.

http://fairfaxcountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=0612f9deb6bb4f0a9fa5cdce0cc75144

I love all the information in this thread. Had many friends that lived in Franklin Farms and on Point Rider Lane. We were up and down Centreville Road all the time going to the Cash and Carry, Blockuster at Sully etc. Good times.

Posted by: Last White Man in Sterling ()
Date: November 11, 2019 02:14PM

Bump

Posted by: nongit ()
Date: July 25, 2020 10:08PM

hobrul jagar

Posted by: Kettler ()
Date: August 27, 2020 01:27AM

Awakened Wrote:
> Take a Stand Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What was the name of the House and dairy
> Farmhouse
> > off Frying Pan Rd and rt 28 across from dulles
> > airport. I went there a couple times. the house
> > was pretty well vandalized. the silo and the
> > farmhouse were intact. It was torn down not
> too
> > long ago.
> >
> >
> >
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0
>
> >
> &msid=103603049544255227252.00044f320afd40b8afec5&
>
> >
> ll=38.941495,-77.425984&spn=0.001533,0.003133&t=h&
>
> > z=19

This abandoned farm is no more. Luxury townhomes are being built there today.

http://ldsnet.fairfaxcounty.gov/ldsnet/ldsdwf/4625079.PDF

Posted by: PKearny ()
Date: March 25, 2021 11:50AM

I just discovered this thread and have a considerable interest in Turley Hall and the family's history. DW138, do you still own this book?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 11:51AM by PKearny.

Posted by: Rod Harrison ()
Date: September 07, 2021 07:03AM

As I am new to this process I will be very brief.
I was a boy when I worked on the farm surrounding Turkey Hall when the Warren Family owned it .
I had many experiences that I will share plus some possible history that I overheard .Lest I forget a legend was that Stonewall Jackson slept under the massive holly trees that once graced the front of the house .

Date: September 08, 2021 08:00PM

I spent 20 minutes writing about Turley Hall today and it didn't post
My apologies for my lack of skill
But once I'm certain I'm able to post I'll write some of my experiences

When I first worked there I was helping to pick sweet corn which was grown on the farm adjacent to the house. The main produce stand was there near the house and other locations were used to sell the corn
I would pick it in the morning for 1 dollar a bushel and then sell it for 4 dollars an hour
Pretty good money for a 14 year old

Hope to write more later

Date: September 09, 2021 01:45PM

Hunter Needham was married to his wife Marty
She was the sister of Don Warren
They lived in the house and managed the property as well as took part in the farming. Marty and her brother Don were originally from Wala Wala Wash
That farm was one of the last working farms in Fairfax county at the time

I do not remember what transpired but Marty's brother Mr Don Warren soon thereafter the season I helped with the sweet corn began to look after the house and farm.

He seemed to be in need of someone who could clean up and tend to the vegetable garden as he wished to continue to sell produce on the property

Previously the main produce stand was just off the main drive to the house .
The main drive was almost just opposite of where Lee Corner Rd meets centreville Rd

I was grateful for the opportunity to help

Date: September 09, 2021 07:02PM

Mr Warren needed some help with cleaning around the house and yard . His vision from what I remember was to rent the upstairs rooms of the house to individual antique dealers who would sell their products on the weekends.He also wanted to keep the vegetable stand by the house . I was busy cleaning out things and sweeping the upstairs rooms.
The old kitchen was detached from the house and was damaged by fire .It needed cleaning as well. I was just a boy so lent no specific trade or skill.
My Warren s son came up from Florida to help and stayed at the house for a time. His name was Bill.
Mr Warren was the nicest man to me .He was very friendly and kind. I never saw him angry. He paid me well for the work I did. I remember him sharing his vision of the antique store with some of the dealers and how much everyone appreciated his desire to bring it to pass. Several dealers moved into the rooms we got ready .

Things were going so well .Then the morning after Father's day Mt Warren s son Bill and his girlfriend saw me working near the house just after I arrived. Bill was very somber and his girlfriend was teary eyed
She said Mr Warren had died the day before and after she said that she broke down and cried.
It was a shock to me . Mr Warren was an excellent boss and was a genuine kind man. I still remember his laugh and positive personalty.
I definitely missed him as everyone else who knew him did.

Bill tried to finish his father's dream but may have found it too difficult.

A Mr Dan Kerlin rented the house afterwardsand wanted to continue the produce stand
I stayed on as a general cleanup boy.
It seemed there was alot to clean as I was cleaning out the stables for Mr Kerlin.

Mr Kerlin was nice but it's hard to follow Me Warren .in fact it's impossible. Perhaps I became a lazy 15 year old or perhaps I just missed working for Mr Warren. I'd like to think it was the latter .
So I just fell off comming to Turley Hall to work. Mr Kerlin knew that I wasn't interested in helping him anymore. Nothing was said and I parted ways amicablly with him . Turley Hall will always hold a special spot in my heart .A part of Chantilly that no longer exists except in my memory.

To answer any questions concerning paranormal activity I will address that in my next postb

Date: September 10, 2021 03:40PM

I had heard stories about ghosts at Turley Hall and that may be one reason I never spent alot of time in the house.
Stories of blood curdling screems at night and furniture being moved around without any explanation are the two that stick out in my memory the most .
Mr Warren never spoke about the paranormal with me and I was always impressed that he could spend the night in a house with such a reputation.
Once he left me alone to clean the upstairs sun room
It was walled with glass . He went somewhere and I was all by myself in the house sweeping the floor. I began to think of all the strange stories I had heard and of course" spooked" myself as I worked .
I don't think I earned my pay that day as I was very trepidly sweeping and looking for any strange sights. I was also praying that God would protect me as I was alone .
When Mr Warren came back I felt better and nothing happened that I could see.
But after Mr Warren died and his son Bill lived there an incident happened that defied logic.

I always carried my lunch with me to work and put it in the family refrigerator for later consumption. I did the same on this particular day.At midmorning I saw Bill and his girlfriend leave the house via their car to go somewhere.I0t was midweek and ostensibly no one else was supposed to be in the house although the antique store rooms were still being used for sale on the weekends.
At lunchtime Bill had not arrived but I was allowed to enter the kitchen when needed and attempted to do so but found the back door locked.
I found that odd but thought no more about it .I then went around the house looking in the downstairs windows to see if anyone was there who could open the door for me. I did not see anyone. I checked the front door and backdoor again and found them both secure.
Being a hungry boy and away from my lunch I became very resourcefull.
I went to the storm celler and opened it up.
Bill and his girlfriend s dogs were put there while they were away.
They came out of the cellar acting a bit strange . They seemed glad to be out of the basement. I entered the basement to access the stairwell up to the first floor hoping it would be open.
I remembered the legend of the 4 confederate soldiers buried in the walls and said several prayers as I felt my way in the darkness to the stairwell.
As I climbed the stairs and came the top to the first floor I found the door was locked. I heard voices and laughter comming from what I assumed was the 2nd floor antique dealers rooms. I banged on the door with my hand and asked if someone could come down and open the door so I could get my lunch. The talking and laughter continued .I knocked again repeating my request. The same laughter and talking continued.I became a bit irritated as I knew I was heard so I decided to listen to what was being said and what was so funny.
Try as I might I could not make out or understand what was being said .I could only hear what seemed to be talking and laughter.Finally I banged on the door very loudly and said just as loud"I know you can hear me because I can hear you ,can someone come down and open the door so I can get my lunch?!"
At this point all talking and laughter stopped.
I banged a few more times but got discouraged and left the way I came .
When I got outside I went back and checked the back door again and it was still locked and look ed in the windows again and didn't see anyone.I then walked to Frying Pan Park and my mother picked me up to take me home.
The next day when I retured to Turley Hall I asked Bill why no one answered my request to open the door.He said no one was home .
I asked him then who were those people talking and laughing that I heard .
He said in a lower tone than normal that I had a hard time hearing
"The ghosts " I asked him to repeat himself so I could understand him better and he said the same a bit louder."The ghosts"He didn't elaborate and I didn't press the issue
This was my first time hearing from the family any confirmation of the paranormal.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.