HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Speak English?
Posted by: Steve ()
Date: January 20, 2008 01:10AM

I am a resident of Manassas city and I commute to Reston for work. I will initiate this forum by asking: Why is it that traffic patterns cannot be abided by? Is it because a chunk of the population does not speak the native language? If the sign says "Do not block entrance", that means to simply not block a particular area. If the sign on the traffic signal (and painted on the roadway) says "left turn only", why is it that you go straight? Is it because you cannot read, or you do not speak the language? I am not trying to be racist nor ethnocentric. I am simply tired of having to accomodate individuals who cannot read signs. I do not experience this in Reston (althought those individuals are "lane disabled" as well. Will someone please explain to me what is going on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speak English?
Posted by: hmm ()
Date: February 14, 2008 04:06AM

Let me try and break it down for you......you are old...white...and you arent fluent in another language....go back to school you old bastard.

Date: February 16, 2008 05:59PM

You are correct: I am white. You are incorrect: I am 29 years old and I am highly educated. I also speak Spanish, and yes English is my first language. If you had interpreted my post correctly, you would know that the demographic I fall into has nothing to do with the issue at hand. It is an observation that has been accurately made, although not an issue that applies to the population as a whole. There have been far too many instances in which the traffic pattern and flow has been hindered because street signs have not been followed. Too often have I had near collissions with individuals that disregarded the intent of the sign. If you have every traveled route 28, during non-rush hour, you will observe almost half of the traffic doing 5-10mph under the speed limit. These individuals also seem to disregard the fact that an automobile doing the same ridiculous speed is traveling right next to them. My suggestion to you sir or madam, is to be a little more observant, and perhaps respond to the initial post with some insight, not some audacious and irrelevant comment.

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: February 21, 2008 12:12AM

Now not only are you old, white and and desperate need of education to learn how to speak another language...you are boring 2 !!!!

Posted by: Beer drinker ()
Date: February 21, 2008 05:04PM

Steve, why don't you get another job besides a bartender? Maybe you won't be so cantacerous. I mean, seriously, who at your age is still a bartender. You are highly educated, yet you "choose" to open beer bottles for a living?!? You might be educated, but you sure aren't bright. Yeah, yeah, keep telling us how the beer bottle opener is high up on the socio-economic ladder. One day, you may even buy into that garbage.

Date: March 02, 2008 03:49PM

Please excuse my immense delay in response. There are certainly plenty of people much older than I am that are bartenders. Most of the individuals that I know that fall into this category are, by definition, high on the economic ladder. As far as the social ladder, that may be a different story. There is an abundance of people, especially in this area, that are office lemmings that look down there noses at bartenders and the like. Due to their higher proportion of society, they maintain the image of a bartender being low on the social ladder. I am not sure how we are otherwise low on this scale.

When discussing the economic ladder, you could not be more incorrect. As long as there are people who refer to themselves as "Beer drinker" in various forums, there will always be business. The bartenders that have performed their duties for extended periods are not doing so, necessarily, because they cannot do anything else. This business is extremely lucrative. When I say lucrative, I am not referring to $80-$150 per night. Individuals making even twice this amount are low on the economic ladder.

This business has afforded me my own single family home, two large boats, a few nice automobiles, and a brand new business. While the business is still in its honeymoon stage, it is undoubtedly taking off, and my low socio-economic profession is supporting it in the mean time.

Getting back to the origin of this discussion, I must reiterate that individuals that are unable to speak the language (and yes, that is English), are burdening society, and forcing compliant individuals to adjust to and align with an invasive culture. Any pertinent thoughts?

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: March 02, 2008 05:48PM

Why would you drive from Manassas to Reston if you are a bartender? Seems to me like there are bars in Manassas, Centreville, etc.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: March 02, 2008 08:03PM

So Steve, you are the bartender from the Reston forum who was b*tching about people who don't tip well?? And you live in Manassas?

Posted by: maven ()
Date: March 02, 2008 10:02PM

Steve...You screwed up for opening up that ignorant mouth of yours. Simply put.

Date: March 02, 2008 11:12PM

Your rhetoric makes no point. If you read my Reston post thoroughly, you will see that I am not griping about people not tipping. My complete argument points to individuals who simply do not understand the concept behind the custom.

As far as my residence in Manassas and its proximity to other restaurants and bars, you surely recognize that a large portion of the Washington metro area engages in commuting. This is not so strange.

Date: March 02, 2008 11:15PM

It should surely not baffle me that members of this particular forum are contributing unintelligible remarks and comments. Your particular contribution, maven, begs the question: how have I "screwed up for opening that ignorant mouth of [mine]?

Posted by: Guzzler ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:42AM

Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This business has afforded me my own single family
> home, two large boats, a few nice automobiles, and
> a brand new business. While the business is still
> in its honeymoon stage, it is undoubtedly taking
> off, and my low socio-economic profession is
> supporting it in the mean time.

Your house is in Manassas. nuf said, stop bragging.

Posted by: Steve likes manmeat ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:56AM

"This business has afforded me my own single family
> home, two large boats, a few nice automobiles, and
> a brand new business. While the business is still
> in its honeymoon stage, it is undoubtedly taking
> off, and my low socio-economic profession is
> supporting it in the mean time.

Steve has opened a pay cash glory hole in his home.,

Date: March 03, 2008 06:47PM

I certainly wasn't bragging; I was driving a point. House in Manassas? Absolutely. You clearly no nothing of the area.

Date: March 03, 2008 06:49PM

Children, children, children. This ends my contributions to this forum.

Posted by: Manassas Resident ()
Date: March 03, 2008 09:55PM

Steve Wrote:
> Your rhetoric makes no point. If you read my
> Reston post thoroughly, you will see that I am not
> griping about people not tipping. My complete
> argument points to individuals who simply do not
> understand the concept behind the custom.
>
> As far as my residence in Manassas and its
> proximity to other restaurants and bars, you
> surely recognize that a large portion of the
> Washington metro area engages in commuting. This
> is not so strange.

Yeah. An environmental scientist commutes to the EPA. A military officer commutes to the Pentagon.

Bartender? Why don't you just work in Manassas or Centreville and save the gas??

Date: March 04, 2008 10:02AM

Steve Wrote:
> I certainly wasn't bragging; I was driving a
> point. House in Manassas? Absolutely. You
> clearly no nothing of the area.

Actually, I KNOW (not no) plenty about the area. I spent plenty of years in Prince William County. Like any county, there are nice areas, and not so nice. Manassas clearly falls into the not so nice area. By your own admissions Manassas is a dump, here is what YOU have said about Manassas:

"Why is Manassas so trashed?"

"My grief is the fact that trash ends up in my well manicured yard, spray painted graffiti finds its way on the roadway in front of my house, individuals seemingly roam the Manassas area with nothing to do, homes seem to be inundated with too many people, neighbors seem to not care that the economy is dipping, driveways are riddled with junked cars, and people that live in overcrowded town home communities feel compelled to park their unregistered cars in front of my home. I am tired. Why is this happening?"

"I am certain Manassas has been riddled with members of the undesirable portion of the population."

"In addition, they have removed a back seat from a van they own, and it has been placed in their front yard."

"My next-door neighbor now, I believe, is running an illegal day care business out of their home."

"They have also had a broken down car in their driveway almost the entire tenure of my residence."

"Unfortunately, the city of Manassas has an issue with illegal immigration. I have no firsthand evidence of this other than the obvious overpopulation of homes within the city. I can speak of this evidence because I have an overabundance of vehicles parked in front of my home over the course of the night."

Yep, sure sounds like the type of place I'd like to call home.

Posted by: Manassas Resident ()
Date: March 04, 2008 12:35PM

Manassas + Mexicans = Shit hole

Fairfax County + Mexicans = Diverse and Vibrant

Sorry. I will take an affordable shit hole over an over-priced "diverse and vibrant" shit hole any day.

Date: March 04, 2008 04:17PM

Manassas Resident Wrote:
> Manassas + Mexicans = Shit hole
>
> Fairfax County + Mexicans = Diverse and Vibrant
>
>
> Sorry. I will take an affordable shit hole over an
> over-priced "diverse and vibrant" shit hole any
> day.

Hey, I think there are plenty of shit hole areas in Fairfax that I would never call diverse and vibrant, and certainly never reside in or near them. The big difference though is that Manassas is exactly 10 sq. miles and Fairfax is 407 sq. miles. Manassas is 15% Hispanic, Fairfax is 11% Hispanic. It is called saturation, and the is the reason Manassas is "affordable." As of 2007, local Hispanic leaders estimate that the Manassas Hispanic community has grown to about 20,000 to 30,000 members. In 2000, the US Census counted a TOTAL of 35,135 people of any and all races. Simply put, if you live in Manassas, a crap neighborhood is never more than a mile away. I feel for you guys out there.

Posted by: brianl70333 ()
Date: March 06, 2008 06:34PM

I'm hearing that the Mexicans from Manassas are moving to Fairfax. It's good that your household employees won't have to commute so far anymore.

Posted by: Jackie-O! ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:42AM

Steve wrote:

Getting back to the origin of this discussion, I must reiterate that individuals that are unable to speak the language (and yes, that is English), are burdening society, and forcing compliant individuals to adjust to and align with an invasive culture. Any pertinent thoughts?

No matter what your opinions of Steve are, that is a very true fact.

Date: March 08, 2008 07:51PM

Yes. People who don't speak English burden society. You know who else burdens society?

Fat rednecks who spend money on cigarettes and chicken-fried steak but who won't buy health insurance.

Stupid rednecks who use the guns they own to settle domestic disputes instead of hunting or defending themselves.

Ignorant rednecks who fight to drive down property taxes at the expense of schools, even though they are the first to scream if....for God's sake...football or baseball get cut from the school budget.

Bible thumping rednecks who won't let their daughters take sex education classes and then are surprised when their 16-year-old is knocked up, only to have them get onto the same welfare programs the Bible-thumping rednecks were criticizing just a few months before.

Racist rednecks who drive down housing values and drive away potential employers from their communities because they strong-arm their local leaders into passing anti-immigration legislation that is blatantly racist.

So yes, people who don't speak English do burden society, just like everyone else.

Posted by: Jackie-O! ()
Date: March 09, 2008 09:15PM

WashingToneLocian, I see you don't care for rednecks....LoL

Date: March 10, 2008 10:12AM

Jackie-O! Wrote:
> WashingToneLocian, I see you don't care for
> rednecks....LoL

This would be true. Or to steal from Jeff Foxworthy...

"If WashingToneLocian thinks you're a stupid, ignorant fuck, you might just be a redneck."

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.