HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Science Center at Belmont Bay planned to open in June of 2005. What happened to the project?
Posted by: Observer of Things ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:25AM

From http://www.pwconserve.org/issues/cherryhill/belmonthotel.html: "The Belmont Bay Life Science Center is expected to open as part of the development in June 2005 and to attract 550,000 to 750,000 visitors annually. Groundbreaking will take place in January 2003 for this branch of the Science Museum of Virginia in Richmond, which will focus on biological science and will include an Imax theater and interactive exhibits that will take advantage of the museum's site adjacent to the wildlife refuge."

Failing that goal, the state of VA gave them $5 million in 2007.

What has happened to that money?

What's the story behind the dead museum? The nearly decade-old sign announcing the imminent construction is a sad site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Science Center at Belmont Bay planned to open in June of 2005. What happened to the project?
Posted by: G ()
Date: December 27, 2010 04:54PM

victim of the budget axe. apparently it was originally going to be a $120M project

go to http://www.smv.org/ and type Belmont in the search box, you'll find some board updates from 2008

you can write Walter R T Witschey, he is/was listed as director of the nonprofit org for this effort; or Rich Conti, director/CEO of the Science Museum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 04:56PM by G.

Re: The Science Center at Belmont Bay planned to open in June of 2005. What happened to the project?
Posted by: Observer of Things ()
Date: December 27, 2010 06:07PM

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the SMV was involved.

I wish they'd remove all signage. I don't live down there, but go to the old Diamond Labs site to birdwatch every few months. Out of a sick fascination, I always drive through the Belmont Bay development to observe its stagnation and general malaise. I would have loved to have seen a science museum open there and it's depressing to see their out-of-date "Coming Soon" signs rot on their posts. Poor PWC.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.