HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Thefts from Parked Cars
Posted by: AnnieBee ()
Date: October 11, 2009 08:51PM

So, last night I was the latest victim in my neighborhood of stolen tech devices from my car. I forgot to lock it and my ipod disappeared. I live in a newer neighborhood off of Linton Hall Rd and I have heard of at least 7 instances of this. They ignore cash and change, going only for ipods, gps, etc. My guess is teens...

Needless to say I am royally pissed (and kicking myself for forgetting to lock my car). Anyone else had thefts like this in your neighborhoods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thefts from Parked Cars
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 12, 2009 12:22PM

Which neighborhood do you live in? A few years ago there was a rash of similar thefts in Saybrooke, Braemar, VA Oaks, etc. Turned out to be a bunch of kids, who were nabbed by the cops.

Date: October 12, 2009 04:11PM

I live off of Rollins Ford, so the same general area. Also, in the course of talking to neighbors, I found out that it's pretty rampant in my neighborhood. AND, that some people are living in the woods full-time. Really creepy and weird. Someone called the cops on the wood-dwellers and the cops wouldn't do anything because thay said the person couldn't complain about squatters on property that wasn't theirs. That is so stupid, especially when it's posted no trespassing. WTF?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 14, 2009 08:16PM

You'd think the cops would do something preventative as opposed until waiting for something to happen. I know which neighborhood you're in, but I haven't heard anything about thefts. It's probably a bunch of kids. I believe that the kids a few years ago were nabbed because everyone reported the thefts to the police, who stepped up patrols.

Date: October 19, 2009 05:58PM

We actually have a Manassas police officer right up the street and he parks his cruiser there, which is nice. We are also flush with other gun-toting federal law inforcement types. One would think that would be a deterent. Obviously not. When I approached our HOA community manager (CMC) I was told that a Neighborhood Watch is complicated and, she implied, a waste of time, and chastised me for leaving something valuable in my car (bitch). Yeah, I get that the ONE TIME I forget to lock my car, I get robbed, but c'mon, the issue is the multiple and ongoing thefts.
Apparently, there's nothing to be done and I should just suck it up. Done and done.

Posted by: Someone ()
Date: October 22, 2009 10:11AM

Probably kids in your 'hood stealing. The people in the woods could give a crap

Posted by: Friend ()
Date: July 19, 2011 04:49PM

Update: This has been occurring in the Rollingwood area lately. I too forgot to lock my car one night (which is ok, since I DO NOT leave anything of ANY value in there) and came out to see that my center console had been gone through. This was about 2 weeks ago. Get a life people, if you want something-get a job to pay for it like the est of us!

Posted by: Va Oaks ()
Date: July 20, 2011 08:42AM

VA Oaks got hit about 1.5 months ago. Many car doors were noticed to be left ajar one morning. I guess the thieves didn't want to make any noise by closing them.

Posted by: Inga ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:57PM

I live in the Battery Heights condominiums neighborhood. My husband's car was broken into. Well, not actually broken into as he left his doors unlocked. They 'tried' to take his after market radio, but failed. My mothers who lives in the same neighborhood car's (left unlocked) was broken into as well, but they didn't take anything either. We're thinking it's teens with nothing better to do. I doubt its people in our neighborhood as I feel & swear our neighborhood is a retirement home. Most action we get around here is the elderly passing and the ambulances taking them.

Posted by: Arlingtonkid ()
Date: July 20, 2011 11:02PM

This is the type of crime that, IMO, is the hardest to prevent and stop. The criminals hit different neighborhoods from night to night. They check every car on the street, and even if only a few are left unlocked, it's worth their time and effort. They can drive away in a matter of minutes, so unless the po po, or resident catches them in the act, it's almost impossible to stop.

Posted by: JUST PASSING THROUGH ()
Date: July 22, 2011 02:07PM

People...

Common sense is common sense.

The best way to prevent auto-theft of parked cars is NOT to leave your doors unlocked and EXPENSIVE stuff in plain sight of car-thieves.

People...

WAKE UP and use COMMON SENSE.

ENOUGH SAID

Posted by: concernedone ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:12AM

Where was the last theft?

Posted by: random person ()
Date: June 19, 2012 01:15PM

may be a month ago, i went outside at 6AM IN THE MORNING and caught a hispanic man, curly hair (not too long) glasses, driving a green 90's ish civic breaking into cars. i did scare him off but not after he gotten into 2 cars already

Posted by: RickJamesBitch ()
Date: July 30, 2012 09:36PM

It's usually teens. The same teens usually get caught bragging about it and end up snitching on everyone. Sucks but it happens cant let your guard down no matter where you live. It's very common especially in the lake ridge community.

Posted by: BroadRun Neighboor ()
Date: August 04, 2012 09:34AM

Broad Run has experience with recent car robberies and vandalism. I see young kids all the time wondering around when the sun goes down who knows what they are up too. I'd keep my eyes out if I were you I just wonder why the parents of those kids never wonder or worry where there children where abouts. tsk tsk

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.