HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old Dominion Speedway Death
Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: October 09, 2009 05:31PM

I've looked everywhere with no luck. Does anyone remember (or can find it on the web) where the flagman for the race at ODS died MANY years ago from a freak accident? I believe something flew off the car and decapitated him.

This had to be 25+ years ago. I'm interested to figure out who that was or find an article that talks about the event and says what exactly happened or what came off the car.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Speedway Death
Posted by: PWMom ()
Date: February 02, 2010 11:46PM

This is all I could find...is this him?

PATRICK MCINTYRE, 28, track staff

Sept. 27, 1992

McIntyre was working as a flagman at Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas, Va., when a car crashed and struck the flagstand as its driver battled for position on the last lap. The Dale City, Va., resident was known for leaning over the rail to touch winning cars with the checkered flag, said Tom Priddy, who was assisting McIntyre on the stand that night.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-79924679/profiles-260-racing-death.html

Posted by: Debbie McKay ()
Date: March 30, 2010 07:43PM

I'm Patrick's Sister, Debbie.

I have to strongly correct HIJACKER! I don't know where you got the information that he was decapitated. Quite to the contrary.

It wasn't the car accident that killed him but the doctors over at Manassas Hospital. If he had been flown directly to Fairfax Hospital instead of going to Manasas - my family and I believe, as do a number of the first responders - Patrick would be alive today.

If you'd like to talk further - please feel free to e-mail me at dmckay123@aol.com.

Posted by: D ()
Date: March 30, 2010 10:19PM

Debbie, I am very sorry for your loss. I think that these are two different situations though. I vaguely remember that someone did die at the speedway. It was quite some time ago and not related to the death of your brother at all.

Posted by: WDBRGENative ()
Date: April 10, 2010 01:18AM

I was there that night and remember it a little different,
A car struck the poles supporting the flagstand, it wasn't on the last lap as the race was stopped, the flagger refused treatment or transport to the hospital and it was later reported he ignored the symptoms of internal injuries and he stayed in the flagstand until the race was over.

Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: April 10, 2010 10:29PM

Wow, I completed forgot about this thread...

The incident in 1992 is not what I'm referring to, it's an event I believe that happened prior to 1980. So Debbie, no need to "correct" me, you're referring to a different even than I am, hence I why I said 25+ years ago.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 09:37PM

Sounds like he was "ahead" of his time.

Posted by: Dempsey Wilson ()
Date: May 16, 2010 08:47AM

I think you might be looking for an incident that happened in about 1968. James Elmore the long time Flagman and resident of Falls Church Va. was struck by a piece of a clutch from a car driven by Carlton Coleman. The clutch blew up and a piece hit him in the throat. It was not a fatal accident however he was disabled after the accident. His son, James Elmore Jr. took over for him and died in a accident at Lake Anna several years later.

Posted by: Lucas ()
Date: July 31, 2011 04:38PM

I remember a lady dying at old dominion speedway.She ran across the oval track. It might of been false.But Im not sure.I heard this when i was about 3 or 4.

Posted by: Maine ()
Date: August 16, 2011 03:04PM

I recall hearing years ago about a driver named Clifford Ewell that died as a result of a crash at Old Dominion.

Posted by: donnie corbin ()
Date: February 18, 2012 08:01PM

i was about 10 yeras old,there that night,just bought ticket,went toward entrance gate,heard something sailing over head ,it hit lght wires ,lights went out,then heard what had just happened on track,flag stand was level with top of guard rail then

Posted by: Tony ()
Date: April 10, 2013 09:05PM

I was there the night the incendent happened it was hobbystock race last lap last two cars fighting for position one car got into wall rode wall until it flipped almost end over end and hit top of flagstand as flagman was lesning over giving checker flag I was in infeild at finish line and remember it clearly the car and number but dont remember name of driver I was on crew of team that did a memorial for him the next week after accident as I remember he loved what he did as an ods offical

Posted by: Marcy ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:18PM

This is in response to the thread about Patrick's death at ODS (may he rest in peace and my heart goes out to his sister) and Tony's post...

I was also there that night, working the pits directly across from the flagstand. It was one of the Dillon cars that climbed up the flagstand. I can still see Patrick's hands going up to shield his face as the car approached him. It was horrific.

I also attended the funeral - what team were you working for? The memorial was beautiful, and the crowd was enormous! He was very well loved by everyone at ODS.

Posted by: catherine ()
Date: August 28, 2014 01:13PM

Does anyone remember a man who was in the marines at the time, name Robert A. Hartley, was killed at the track this had to be back in the 50"s - I believe a motorcycle left the track and hit him?

Posted by: Marjorie Tuthill ()
Date: April 13, 2020 02:55PM

You are exactly right, Jim was a good friend of our's and yes his son did take over for him but was later killed in a incident from jumping into a swimming hole to retrieve a ball for some kids in Louisa, Va. Both men were real fans of racing and enjoyed it every weekend.

Posted by: Barbara LaMarche ()
Date: October 11, 2020 03:13PM

I worked at the City of Falls Church with Jim Elmore. It was a devastating accident at the speedway that left him severely disabled but he lived for several more years after thst.

Date: August 15, 2023 04:09AM

I was there the night of the incident racing myself in the Grand Stock class. It was the last race of the night on THE LAST LAP and I believe it was the 5&6 place cars tangled out of turn four,1 car got up on its rear bumper and literally twisted it’s way down the catch fence and hit the flagman stand killing McIntyre and injuring 1 other person in the flag stand. I watched the car (like it was in slow motion) twisting its way down the front stretch on its rear bumper twisting until it hit the flag stand. It took rescue workers a VERY long time to get the injured flagmen out of the stand and into the ambulances. Very tragic, bizarre accident.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.