HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Opinions of Potomac Middle School?
Posted by: Teacher? ()
Date: February 03, 2017 08:45AM

I have been offered a position to teach at Potomac Middle School in Dumfries, I have heard mixed reviews about the school. What are the thoughts regarding the administration, and teaching environment at this school?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions of Potomac Middle School?
Posted by: Colleen LaMay ()
Date: February 04, 2017 12:23PM

My advice is to run away. The place is cursed. It has a bad reputation among teachers, students and parents. I taught there my first two years after I earned my teaching license in secondary English and ESOL. The first year, I taught ESOL and worked part time. That went OK. I was able to stay out of sight of the administration. At that time, the principal was a crazy woman who threw at least one chair during a temper tantrum, yelled at children and adults alike and generally was the most unprofessional manager I have ever had. And I am old enough to have had a lot. The second year I was there, my first full year of teaching, I taught 7th grade English to classes as large as 33 students with no aide. I was both teacher and ESOL teacher's aide. I had zero support from the administration office. Once, I had a doctor's appointment, left every kind of documentation under the sun to make sure everyone knew and to cover my rear end (because that was what you had to do there). My students were taking important Benchmark tests. And they were taking them all alone in the computer lab. The office never sent a sub. The kids had a great time all alone, a violation of state code. Those are just a couple of example of the daily mayhem that was Potomac Middle School. Run. Run. Fast.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.