HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
help! NVCC billing without knowledge
Posted by: thejman021 ()
Date: February 15, 2014 06:02PM

I am writing this post to try to ask the peanut gallery for some advice. A friend of mine recently applied to nova (NVCC) and was told by the financial counselor in person (as well as by phone) that as long as she never attended classes she would not be billed. She asked after registering and finding out that it was too late to apply for financial aid. Having graduated myself, I am all too familiar with their methods of rushing students through counseling. I mentioned to her that it would be a good idea to write her q's down. She was sure that she would be automatically dropped from the only class she signed up for if she didn't attend any classes.

Anyway, she heard nothing from them until a collection agency contacted her about the bill. They sent her plenty of brochures in regular mail, but not one document relating to her bill for classes. Instead, they sent this information to her student email. However, she had no idea she had a student email account. No one told her she had a student email account, and there was a counselor helping her throughout the process.

Fast forward to now, and NVCC is denying any and all responsibility to inform her of her debt, except through the method of their choosing (student email). They never informed her of anything through her regular email address, phone number, or home address. When she called to get more information on the subject, this representative who I will call "E" told her in a very condescending tone that "she is an adult now" and that she "should read", As if my friend did not do due diligence and specifically ask TWICE about how the class dues would pan out if she decided not to go to class. She was so rude that she later called back and apologized. If they had told my friend that she would need to log in to the system and do "x, y, and z" then she would have done those things. Instead, she gets a surprise bill and a lecture from a lady roughly the same age as her.

It's not fair that she should be billed for this, and we're looking into other options. Are there others out there that have had this same kind of situation happen to them? Did you fight it? Would you want to fight it?

It's not fair that NVCC can bully its residents and use these underhanded tactics for money. By the way, that whole "Guaranteed Admissions Agreement" is a bad joke that no one laughs at. But that's a topic for another day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help! NVCC billing without knowledge
Posted by: You are a fag ()
Date: February 16, 2014 12:09AM

tits or gtfo

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: February 16, 2014 05:14AM

want some cheese with that whine?

Posted by: khGxx ()
Date: February 16, 2014 12:11PM

You and your "friend" didn't pay attention. Having kid who is at NVCC, I can tell you this:

1. If you register for classes you have to pay the tution fee for those classes by a certain date, with or without financial aid. There terms and agreements that you or your friend should have read when you signed up. It's very clear.

2. NVCC will only communicate via student email. Everything goes to my kid. We get nothing in the mail. NVCC cannot communicate with the parents, as the student is a legal adult. This has held true since my days in college.

3. It's not bullying and underhanded tatics. It's how colleges do busines. NVCC, VT, UVA, JMU, Radford, etc. etc. etc.

Posted by: G ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:42PM

Part of going to college is learning to be a responsible adult, being accountable for the consequences of your decisions, and knowing exactly what you are getting into. You need to ask lots of questions and research what you need to know instead of assuming someone will spoon-feed you the information. By signing up for classes, you enter into a contractual agreement and are liable for payment of tuition and all other terms of that contract; you can't just hope it goes away if you didn't take action to drop the classes before the deadline. Sounds like your friend didn't fully understand what the couselor told her, and should have read the policies in the catalog:

"Students may drop a course and receive a refund up until the 'last day to drop with a tuition refund' (census date) as noted on the academic calendar. Students who change their mind about taking a course must drop the course and process the drop online through NOVAConnect. Otherwise, the student will be charged for the course and may receive a failing grade."
http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2013/enrollment/courses.html

"Students should not assume that they will be dropped automatically from classes for which they have not paid. Students must drop all classes they do not want to take and confirm their schedule of classes before the end of the add/drop/swap period to assure their tuition bills are what they expect."
http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2013/financial/payment.html

The college will administratively withdraw you from unpaid classes and place a hold on your record, but that does not relieve the financial obligation to which you agreed by signing up. By reserving a seat in a class and not dropping it you are barring the college's ability to sell that seat to a paying student who actually wants to take the class.
"In addition, the College reserves the right to pursue payment through debt collection services and other lawful means. Debtors are subject to late fees and collection costs."
http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2013/financial/debts.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.