HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
bank levy for property taxes Spotsylvania cty
Posted by: dumbdumb ()
Date: September 24, 2011 07:14PM

I know this isn't Prince William County but I need some information. We have rental properties in Spotsylvania County, the real estate taxes are paid directly by tenant. Never been a problem (been doing this since 1990) one of the tenants got behind (last payment was Spring) I got nothing from the Treasurer until I tried to use my debit card on Friday. Apparently they are able to do an "administrative levy" where they aren't required to serve notice (they sent the letter the day that they took all of my money), and don't have to go through the court. Spotsylvania Coiunty says they need money because they don't get the car tax anymore. Drained three of my accounts including my sons. All has been paid that is owed to them, but the bank has frozen the accounts and lots of money has gone into it. It is supposed to be a one time only levy that they would have to do another one to get any more money (they have gotten all their money) How is this legal? No notice, no chance for remedy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bank levy for property taxes Spotsylvania cty
Posted by: Not Unusual ()
Date: September 25, 2011 11:26PM

I don't think your issue is unusual. What I do find odd, though, is that you're not paying the property taxes. Personally, I'd re-write their lease to reflect the fact that you'll cover the property taxes, but the amount of the lease will be adjusted to cover that amount. This will ensure your property doesn't get foreclosed on.

It would stink to lose some property you own just because the renters got behind on the property tax payments.

Posted by: nova are idiots ()
Date: September 26, 2011 06:07AM

thats really not the issue

Posted by: Noobie ()
Date: September 30, 2011 10:59AM

The issue is that this person's money was directly seized without notice. That is outrageous.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.