HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Atlantic Research Corp - Wellington Rd
Posted by: W. Melton ()
Date: August 23, 2013 10:07PM

What a great forum! My dad, Eston Melton, worked for ARC at both the Edsall office and out at Pine Ridge from around '62 to '75. I remember many times that Jim Sides, his wife and their children would visit us in North Springfield and my dad has stayed in touch with him over the many years since then.

I really like the posts about the family days out at PR--they were great and I have a lot of fond memories of them.

I had the good fortune to visit ARC in 2002 for a site visit as part of an acquistion course I was taking at DAU. Farid Khadduri and Mark Director are two names I recall from that visit. The entire staff bent over backwards to show us a "day in the life" of a DoD contractor. I recall that due to set-back requirements, out of the 400+ acres the site covered, there was one small area, about 100' square in the middle of the site, where the rocket fuel could be made.

We finished up our visit in a small museum and none other than Jim Sides showed us around and talked about ARC and its proud history. What a gentleman!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Floyd ()
Date: October 19, 2013 07:55PM

I worked there for 15 years... I undarstand the the property is and has been owned by the Washington post corp. ARC sold it to them and then paid rent around 1989.

Posted by: Sean ()
Date: November 05, 2013 06:42AM

I recently passed by this area and thought this would be the perfect place to host a zombie survival event....and then I read the above threads...need to keep looking around.

Posted by: Rich C ()
Date: January 04, 2014 01:22PM

I worked at ARC from 1984 to 1990 as the Tomahawk program quality engineer – one of the best professional experiences of my career. The company (prior to Sequa takeover in the late 80s) was very employee oriented. We had a great team spirit. Have yet to see that anywhere else.

ARC made solid propellant rocket motors under contract to the US government. It appears from the posts that the place really went downhill after 1990 and détente (the Berlin Wall coming down).

Those who disparage the manufacturing of hazardous materials, rocket motor propellant in this case, should open their laptops and look at the lithium battery inside. Of course that is made in China where workers are expendable. Anyway, those Tomahawk rocket motors launched a lot of cruise missiles over the years. Probably saved a lot of our troops lives.

Posted by: tigers1234 ()
Date: January 15, 2014 08:39PM

The land is valuable, yet useless. There were all sorts of issues with the water, which was tainted severely by the chemical solvents used over the years at Atlantic Research (rocket design and rocket construction). I heard when Nissan opened there were all sorts of problems before they finally cleaned up the water (to Nissan). Also, buildings at Atlantic Research were laden w/asbestos.

The land is valuable, yet useless. There were all sorts of issues with the water, which was tainted severely by the chemical solvents used over the years at Atlantic Research (rocket design and rocket construction). I heard when Nissan opened there were all sorts of problems before they finally cleaned up the water (to Nissan). Also, buildings at Atlantic Research were laden w/asbestos.

Posted by: tee27273 ()
Date: January 20, 2014 01:00PM

tigers 1234--You do tend to repeat yourself!!

Posted by: Abatement ()
Date: January 22, 2014 06:52PM

tigers1234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The land is valuable, yet useless. There were all
> sorts of issues with the water, which was tainted
> severely by the chemical solvents used over the
> years at Atlantic Research (rocket design and
> rocket construction). I heard when Nissan opened
> there were all sorts of problems before they
> finally cleaned up the water (to Nissan). Also,
> buildings at Atlantic Research were laden
> w/asbestos.

Most of the asbestos was removed in 1999 or 2000.

Posted by: Brandon Ratliff ()
Date: March 05, 2014 01:13PM

Does anybody know who I can contact about the old international dump truck in the woods next to the atlantic research building on wellington road?

Posted by: Mezbel7 ()
Date: March 16, 2014 04:54PM

This was interesting. The EPA's 1990 National Enforcement Investigation Center's multi-media compliance investigation into the Atlantic Research Corporation...

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe

Posted by: Hudson Valley Girl ()
Date: March 30, 2014 08:29PM

To read more about the corrective action that the EPA has taken to clean up the area please visit this link: http://www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/ca/va/webpages/vad023741705.html

There is a lot of good info on this page but it's not clear if and when this land could be developed. Honestly, would you buy a house on this property knowing that the ground water and soil was contaminated? I don't care how much you clean up, some of the contaminate will always remain no matter how "safe" the levels are under the EPA's standards.

Posted by: Douglas Swims ()
Date: July 05, 2014 03:57PM

I was the Assistant HR Mgr. For ARC in the early 1990's. ARC made many Defense products including the first stage lift motor for the TOMAHAWK (cruise) missile and many others, including development of carbon fiber composites.

Due to Defense cutbacks, it ceased operation, but I don't. Know when

Posted by: lordnikon ()
Date: September 18, 2014 11:57PM

How is that possible. Where are the manufacturing facilities for constructing a space craft.

Posted by: Quality Control ()
Date: September 21, 2014 07:50AM

I worked in the QC section during the mid 80's. Tested various measurements on propelant, motor tubes and squibs. The place made launch and flight motors for various missles projects, no final assemble of missles or warheads at this location.

I wore a white lab coat, steel toe shoes and stood on anti static mats or was connected to a grounding strap. I always packed my lunch and ate at the Pizza Hut building.

The use of M.E.K. And lack of ventilation of it made me sick, workers would throw the unused portions of it on the ground out side the back doors rather than take it back to the chem room. Lazy fucks poisoned the water and wildlife.

Poor ventilation were missle tubes were painted with by vinyl zinc chromate.

Posted by: urban ()
Date: March 28, 2015 02:48PM

Does anyone know if the buildings have been demolished yet. Is there still security present on the facility?

Posted by: lkdsajfd ()
Date: March 31, 2015 03:28PM

Most of the buildings are still up and yes there is security on-site. Seems to be one guy in a pickup truck. Not sure if it's 24/7 or not but saw lots of tracks in the snow last month.

Posted by: Ann ()
Date: May 28, 2015 09:31PM

I have recently seen vehicles with cables (resembling jumper cables) coming from the engine compartments connected to something in the ground. I've also seen an individual in a white full cover jump-suit being lowered into a whole on the outskirts of the fence line. I also saw a snapping turtle the size of a fitness stability ball walking along the blacktop/driveway next to the Wellington fence line a few weeks ago.

If nothing is going on, why is it so secret?

Posted by: B.mylius ()
Date: June 03, 2015 10:11AM

Been working here all week doing sewer rehabilitation.. Amazing
Facility great for a episode of walking dead or a round of paint ball.... But I've seen deer and other animals all look well no deformations... But I really want to explore the bunkers and underground tunnel we found

Posted by: B.mylius ()
Date: June 03, 2015 10:16AM

The white suites are tyveks because we are re lining sewer manholes with epoxy to protect concrete from h2s we will be shutting a lane down to do a hole on the outside of fence next week.. This place is huge over 400 acres the guard is very docile n layed back told me alot of stories of all the missles they manufactured its pretty damn amazing

Posted by: Ray ()
Date: June 07, 2015 02:00PM

Worked at facility from 1985 thru 1990. In the last 10 years have been diagnosed with 3 types of cancer. Just curious if any other former employees have experienced similar. Had physical week ago and was discussing situation with doctor. When I told him I had worked at ARC, his response was, who knows what you were exposed to there!

Posted by: mirvin ()
Date: August 08, 2015 09:14PM

Underground Bunkers and Tunnels? Worked there in the early 80's. First with the Air Conditioner guys in Maintenance, then moved into Engineering as a drafter. Had full access to the facility when working in Maintenance. Never heard of or saw underground tunnels or bunkers.

B.mylius Wrote:
> Been working here all week doing sewer
> rehabilitation.. Amazing
> Facility great for a episode of walking dead or a
> round of paint ball.... But I've seen deer and
> other animals all look well no deformations... But
> I really want to explore the bunkers and
> underground tunnel we found

Posted by: SarahB ()
Date: August 21, 2015 12:40AM

Ray,

I've always wondered about that. My mom worked at Aerojet/ARC for 27 years. She died of cancer in her 40s. My family and I have always wondered what the cancer incident rate is among current and former employees. My mom would frequently mention her co-workers that had cancer and it seemed fairly high.

But to everyone else's comments,

As of 2010, most testing had moved to the facility in Orange. There are two main buildings, one inside the fencing and one outside, that were still occupied with workers. When I drive by, I still see several cars in the parking lot so some sort of admin type work is going on. But I remember many Saturdays spent with my mom at work and walking around the complex. Back in the 80s and 90s that place was so busy and I could only imagine what was going on. When they did testing, she would never allow my brother or myself to come to work with her on those days, even though she was in one of the office buildings. My dad used to be one of the hunters allowed in every so often to control the deer population. He's been all over that place.

Posted by: porky aka d edmonds ()
Date: August 25, 2015 11:04PM

I too work for ARC FROM late 70's to early 80's, the man your grandfather mention that died there his name was Roger PINE, AN Live in the town call Toms Brook just down the road from me.The building Roger was killed in,I also worked in and did the same job he did too,as far as the accident that killed him,he was tighten a nut down on a threaded rod on a butterfly valve,which blew off an striking him in the head.
I would like to know who was your grandfather that worked there.As for all the people wondering about ARC,it was the cutting edge to technology to all ARM FORCES
on rocket industry,we made any an everything under the sun for the Government an NASA,ARC was 20 yrs ahead in all technology department.The land is most likely
contaminated from solvents dump on the grounds back in the days

Posted by: One-eyedJack ()
Date: August 26, 2015 01:31PM

I remember all of the hot women that worked there when I did. Back in the 70's and even into the 80's that place was great for my after work fun time. I am old and crusty now! Also, besides the women, it was probably the best place that I've ever worked. Everyone had honor and dignity. We ALL worked together. It was and still is a very respected company for those of us that know the truth and actually worked there. Some of the stories on here are absurd!

Posted by: Tee ()
Date: September 24, 2015 11:25PM

I worked for ARC from 1970 to 1990. It was a great place to work. I am a woman with a college degree and I was promoted from within over the years from technician to Program Manager of 3 contracts. No one will ever make me say a bad word about ARC. I wish more companies could have learned from them. When our stock went public and we were taken over by Sequa was the downfall of a great company. Coleman Raphael was president for many of the years that I worked for them. Then Jim Sides took over. I wish people would stop bashing ARC. People who don't have any idea about Pine Ridge make it look like aliens worked there. By the way--I worked at the Edsall Rd facility --but had ties to Pine Ridge.

Posted by: Leah ()
Date: April 07, 2016 03:57PM

I worked at the Edsall Road facility for 2 years 1985-1987 and it was such a wonderful environment. Miss those days.

Posted by: The Kid ()
Date: April 15, 2016 05:35PM

This was a great place to work. Back in '78 I was working in Grain Finishing, on the STANDARD surface to air missiles for the Navy. This was the solid rocket propellant grain that would be turned on a lathe to fit into the case. It was in building 79.

We also did some casting of VIPER anti-tank motors there. This is one of the buildings with heavy blast proof walls and air powered steel blast doors on the inside, but blowout walls and panels on the outside. The buildings were mostly surrounded by dirt hills in case one building blew up it wouldn't directly knock down it's neighbors.

I then was promoted to Mixing and Casting, where we made solid rocket propellent for STINGER, GSRS which is now called MLRS, a motor called BEECH which I think was for flying targets to be shot down by other systems in R & D. We made TOMAHAWK cruise missile boosters. We made the gas generator for the TRIDENT Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile warhead bus. We made the VIPER anti-tank motor which ended up being too loud to fire in real world applications but over-performed in all other ways except loudness.

There were some small out-of-the-atmosphere attitude correction motors for classified. And they messed around with small shots of fuel-air mixes for classified.

I was then promoted to rocket-test and fired many TOMAHAWKS, GSRS, STINGER, and TRIDENT motors. We would dispose of defective motors in a tunnel under a hill so no frag could cause injuries. This same hill was used to deflect rocket exhaust from test shots up into the air and to block potential frag in case of failures.

Overall a professional place with great crews. I think at the time this was a fantastic place for a young man to work. The wage and price freeze under President Carter and the forays into the Trident system that could end up carrying nuclear warheads made me decide to leave and go back to school.

I miss the crowd and the work there sometimes to this day.

Date: April 16, 2016 03:08PM

That was a long time ago.

Steve Martin was the top comedian,
Apocalypse Now was in Theaters.

Date: April 17, 2016 03:16PM

This is the assemby building where everything was put together and crated for shipment after tesing for QC. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wellington+Rd,+Gainesville,+VA+20155/@38.7883859,-77.5798726,150m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b65da52184b647:0xa1591a94864955b7

Posted by: Rocko ()
Date: April 30, 2016 06:50AM

Cool stories from those who worked there. Sounds like one of those small-to-midsize companies whose employees loved working there, respected each other, and served an important mission. It appears to be a bit of a ghost-town these days though. Why not redevelop the property? Are there soil contamination issues? Anyone know (i.e., not speculate, but actually know something)?

Posted by: random ()
Date: May 01, 2016 02:06PM

Any industrial property being redeveloped in the US probably has some soil issues.

If the EPA has tested it, sounds like it has, that information than can be found or requested.

Posted by: Liam ()
Date: May 03, 2016 02:47PM

Bump. Curious about the status of this property! Any new information?

Date: May 13, 2016 02:17PM

As far as I know, it is vacant of tenants now and awaiting development of some type, someday

Posted by: Last I heard ()
Date: May 13, 2016 02:32PM

Last I heard the area is still very much contaminated which is why you see the testing going on occasionally off Wellington.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: August 23, 2016 07:48PM

Last I heard Wrote:
> Last I heard the area is still very much
> contaminated which is why you see the testing
> going on occasionally off Wellington.

I imagine that there is backlog with the EPA in order to get that site cleaned up?

Posted by: LabRat ()
Date: September 01, 2016 07:58PM

The incident where a test rocket got loose and flew close to a school bus happened at their test facility in Orange, Virginia. I worked down in the R&D Chemical labs in the late 70's and can tell you there was a lot of strange stuff pored or leaked into the soil. When they fired up the waist pit it used to explode ever once in a while. In early 80's it was so loud it shattered the front window of the McDonald s in Manassas.

Date: September 08, 2016 04:25PM

As far as I know small amounts, as in small trays or buckets of "used" liquids would occasionally be thrown out on the ground instead of disposed of in drums. That would be solvents that were used to clean components and residues on mixing and casting equipment. They would include Alcohol, MEK - Methyl ethyl ketone, perchloroethylene, and Tetrahydrofuran.

While they may have evaporated into the air on warm days, the residue left would likely contain Ammonium perchlorate, aluminum powder, Dioctyl adipate, and Isophorone diisocyanate. It may be possible that beryllium powders could be near or inside the 2 above ground Steel submarine looking structures that were emptied of air to near vacuum levels and used to test fire propellants that were to be used in space.

No way to know how much without testing, which others have said was carried out.

Re: Atlantic Research Corp - Unknown location
Posted by: Jon Elson ()
Date: December 15, 2016 11:07PM

In the summer of 1969, I worked for Gautney and Jones Communications, in space sub-leased from Atlantic Research Corporation. It was in Virginia,
generally around the Tyson's Corners/Falls Church area, but I don't remember more specifically than that.

We had one wing of the building, the rest was kept by ARC. I thought the whole rest of the ARC building was vacant, but then I did see a VERY few people working there on rare occasions. The ARC part of the building was single floor, and had what seemed to be a mile long hallway that ended at a door to our section. There was a "garage" at this point, and a caged area filled with large machine tools and some Vietnam war era detritus, such as those rocket launchers they mounted on helicopters.

I seem to recall this was a sort of outpost, and there were a bunch of larger ARC buildings on the other side of the road. There didn't seem to be any security at this location, we could have just walked right into the ARC section from our part through an open door.

So, can anybody recognize this location from my really awful description? I'm just sort of wondering where this was.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Atlantic Research Corp - Unknown location
Posted by: Porky ()
Date: December 30, 2016 11:12AM

Who is the kid on theses postings

Date: December 31, 2016 12:03AM

I came into
possession of a bunch of parts many years ago, and have been
wondering ever since what they were part of. The whole
assembly was known as the XM-12 canister assembly. (Might possibly have been XM-11, it has been a while since I was able to find one of the reject labels with the main system designation.) I have a
number of different parts that seem to all connect together,
so I gather they are all part of the same unit. It was at
Atlantic Research in Virginia, who made a lot of Vietnam
war-era munitions.

Anyway, there was a level sensor with a float, magnets and a
reed switch. I've used a number of these in various
projects. There was a pressure gauge marked (from low to
high) as "destroy" "operable"; "inoperative". There was a key switch with one of the Ace tubular keys, labeled "arm"
and "safe". And, there was a diabolical little unit called
the opener fuze assembly. It had a PC board with a few
transistors and passives on it, sealed in a metal can, and
two microswitches and a Molex-style connector, and a coax
cable with slip-fit connector. I figured out the circuit,
and what it did is when power was interrupted, after about 9
seconds it would deliver a pulse out the coax cable,
presumably to make something go "boom". The opener part
seems to refer to a booby-trap if you opened it up with the
wrong timing, it would blow up in your face. Seemed like an
awful lot of trouble to go to.

So, all these years, I've been wondering what this XM-12
canister actually did. I'm thinking it might have some
relation to early cluster bomb technology.

The opener fuze assembly bears a label for "plastic canister assy", but I'm pretty sure it was part of the rest of this system.

Anybody know what this was part of?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted by: A current employee ()
Date: March 27, 2017 02:36PM

I was hired by ARC in Alexandria in the mid-80's and am still working for Aerojet-Rocketdyne. ARC was a good company whose management really cared about their employees. Nice to see some of the names mentioned from the Test Department, although many have now retired. Great group of people from engineering to program management to maintenance, manufacturing, HR and health services.

Posted by: Mother Earth ()
Date: March 27, 2017 04:10PM

A current employee Wrote:
>ARC was a good company whose management really cared
> about their employees.

Too bad they didn't give a shit about the environment.

Date: March 29, 2017 09:06AM

You have no idea what you're talking about. There were programs that created environmental issues that were unknown at the time. Do your research on the Supreme Court ruling.

Posted by: Mother Earth ()
Date: April 04, 2017 12:41PM

A current employee Wrote:
> You have no idea what you're talking about. There
> were programs that created environmental issues
> that were unknown at the time. Do your research
> on the Supreme Court ruling.

So all these rocket scientist were in fact just fucking retarded?

Posted by: Spooky Bob ()
Date: May 31, 2017 08:25PM

Hello all,
I'm big into urbexing, and this seems like a prime place for it. It's also about five minutes from my house.
I don't generally enjoy getting arrested, so is there any info on current owners of the property so I could potentially gain permission to enter?
Also, in the event of a "no," is security still tight?

As for ticks, deer, etc, I've dealt with collapsing ceilings and squatters up at Forest Haven Asylum and excessive amounts of asbestos, plus overzealous security, at Glen Dale Asylum. I've seen worse.

Date: June 17, 2017 05:23PM

"The Kid" worked there 78-80 or 79-81? started in Grain Finishing building #73,
promoted to mixing and casting, ended in rocket test.

Worked on Stinger, Stinger kick motors, Viper, Beech?, GSRS which is called MLRS now, Tomahawk cruise missle boosters, Trident slbm gas generators, ASAT R & D control motors, air breathing solid fuel motors project. Temperature cycled rockets -65 - +165.

Date: June 17, 2017 05:29PM

The people working there in rocket test, mixing and casting, and grain finishing were a good bunch. The people in assembly and the front admin building were a good bunch as well.

Posted by: Tee0 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 02:28PM

I was an ARC employee for 20 years at their Edsall Rd facility. ARC was a wonderful company to work for. I worked in a microchemical lab as Program Manager. I am a woman. It's a shame people today don't know such a company to work for. They promoted from within (especially women) and provided very decent benefit options that the millenials know nothing about. So, my question to you is---Why don't you bash your own companies instead of one YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT???

Posted by: Suck the cock do you? ()
Date: July 25, 2017 01:10PM

Tee0 Wrote:
> I was an ARC employee for 20 years at their Edsall
> Rd facility. ARC was a wonderful company to work
> for. I worked in a microchemical lab as Program
> Manager. I am a woman. It's a shame people today
> don't know such a company to work for. They
> promoted from within (especially women) and
> provided very decent benefit options that the
> millenials know nothing about. So, my question to
> you is---Why don't you bash your own companies
> instead of one YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT???

How many cocks did you suck for those promotions?

Posted by: PKVR ()
Date: August 15, 2017 01:43PM

Posted by: DEC ()
Date: October 16, 2017 09:05AM

I worked at ARC from 1979 to 1981. the facility produced solid motor rockets for the DOD as well as Gas Generated booster motors.

Viper, Stinger, Tomahawk, MLRS,

Some of the rocket motors produced were Viper launch whish was a shoulder launched anti-tank weapon as well as the Stinger rocket whish consisted of 2 motors a small booster and the main motor, typical of what you would have seen in the war in Afghanistan on the Russians.

the C4 gas booster motors were used to eject missiles from subs to simply launch the missile from underwater where a typical motor .

The facility also produced the launch tomahawk booster system which was used in the cruise missile program and ten MLRS Multi-Lunch - rocket - systems
If you ever see a ground based launch of a 12 pack of rocket, this was originally GSRS that because MLRS and I assume has now been replaced by another generation of rockets.

As far as the facility, it is indeed a dirty mess.

we had a photo x-ray facility, that in the early days silver and other metals were used in the development process that use to dump the dirty water into collection ponds, the collection ponds would be drained at times to recover the silver.

Shaving of propellant would be gathered in large collection bins and eventually dumped into a big deep burn pit. when it was clouding damp and misty rain they would light the burn pit.

if you look closely at the one building you can see close to the areojet facility on the side of the facility towards devlin road notice the thin greenish walls... these are blow out evacuation walls in case of fire or explosion. the facility is scatter with these types of buildings.

also numerous buried bunker storage facilities.

The facility use to come with its own fire department and safety medical crew

looking back a very dangerous place but as 18 year old they paid good with lots of OT. that's kind of what jobs use to be in the day before data centers.

Posted by: Rambolio ()
Date: October 21, 2017 04:16PM

I've driven by that place a hundred times and wondered about it. I asked a couple of the older guys at work about what happened. They told me that a rocket test or something broke loose from its brackets or something and killed a bunch of people including the owner/head guy there. The constants in all these stories is the rocket fuel testing, an explosion and that some people died during the explosion. I was told the explosion was in the early 80's, but I can't find any news articles about it or anything.

Patriot06 Wrote:
> I ended up reading a little more online about ARC.
> Apparently they sued to be able to access public
> funds to cover the cleanup costs and the case went
> all the way to the supreme court...and they won.
>
> also, don't know if anyone else has noticed but it
> appears they have done some very recent soil
> sampling on the site within sight of the fenceline
> on Wellington Road. I saw some new plastic tarping
> in several locations with freshly dug dirt on top.
> Not really sure why I care about this but it just
> all seems a little freaky. I keep waiting to see
> some Godzilla looking deer come crashing out of
> that dump from all the toxic crap in the soil.

Date: January 09, 2018 11:41AM

The info about a rocket breaking loose from a bracket is fictional. There were two separate deaths over the years, one due to a confined space accident and another from a fire.

Posted by: smith adams ()
Date: January 13, 2018 05:46AM

PURCHASE GOOD QUALITY MED<>DRUGS FROM US-GREAT PRICES OVERNIGHT NEXTDAY FAST DELIVERY:PERCOCET'HYDROCODONE-METHADONE-NEMBUTAL-OXYCOTIN-XANAX-OPANA-QUAALUDE VALIUM-etc-text-call: (762) 359-0457

Posted by: SadNostalgia ()
Date: February 03, 2018 12:19PM

If anyone still follows this thread, the ARC facility on Wellington Rd. in Gainesville has begun to be torn down. Starting about a week ago there's been heavy construction machinery and a steady stream of dump trucks hauling out debris. They haven't touched the buildings nearest the "main gate" (nearest Jiffy Lube concert venue), but some of the more dilapidated buildings further down Wellington have been pulled down. Also it appears they're starting to move towards the center of the facility. A bit sad as I never got a chance to explore there, would've loved to take pictures. :'(

I assume they're going to put more McMansions or strip malls, or other shit we don't need in the area. :(

Posted by: ARC Fucked up the area for good. ()
Date: February 05, 2018 02:53PM

SadNostalgia Wrote:

>
> I assume they're going to put more McMansions or
> strip malls, or other shit we don't need in the
> area. :(

I don't know about that. That ground is so heavily tainted from all the illegal dumping ARC did that I don't see anything outside of heavy industrial being zoned for that area.

Posted by: Think again ()
Date: February 05, 2018 10:26PM

Posted by: Not far off ()
Date: February 06, 2018 09:28AM

Ah so some data centers and "Suburban Residential-High Density" also known as low rent apartments.

Certainly won't be an McMansions, that's for sure.

Posted by: nakedd truth ()
Date: July 06, 2018 11:18PM

i worked there as a summer time temp employee scored really high on their iq entry exam. we did a lot of top secret production on rocket and missile motors plus solid rocket fuels.i was in building 175 special projects.It was a hay day of guided missile development programs. The plant had a enormous party when the first tomahawk rolled out.Everyone knew not to drink from the water fountain and use the water cooler. that was back in early 1980's. I was having sex with my girlfriend that lived at the corner of devlin road and wellington road when two cure stands exsploded in a buried hardened bunker. The exsplosion shook the entire gable end of my girlfriends house for about ten seconds. i hope uncle sam dosent charge me for violation of the espionage act for posting this. It was a very dangerous place to work. but the pay was great the benefits were awesome the overtime was unlimited. And if you ever got injured you got to go see nurse nancy right on property site. What a blonde bombshell she was.

Posted by: nakedd truth ()
Date: July 06, 2018 11:26PM

Xm 12 was a short range icbm fired from subs

Posted by: Nakedd Truth ()
Date: July 06, 2018 11:31PM

I pity any dummy running heavy equipment at the pine ridge plant. especially when they get to the area where the hot trash pit was located

Posted by: Nakedd truth ()
Date: July 06, 2018 11:37PM

Mike the Kid i remember you, you used to date that hot red headed girl that was married that worked with you at building 60.

Posted by: thebraveness ()
Date: August 06, 2018 12:42PM

How many of your friends that worked their have died of cancer????

Posted by: Pete ()
Date: October 10, 2018 09:29AM

Hi Everyone,

I just came accross this forum while searching the history of the Atlantic research Corporation and wondered if anyone can help me? I trying to find out who I can contact regarding a Navy contract ARC were awarded in early 1968. The contract was given to Atlantic Research Corporation in Costa Mesa CA and was for a total of 10 shallow water boats called MSSC's used in Vietnam. I'm a model builder and am just about to start building a 1/6 scale model of this rare and little know craft. I would ideally like to find some original design drawings for this craft but any info would be great. so as I mentioned if anyone can point me in the right direction for somene to speak to about this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Pete.
Attachments:
MSSC.jpg

Posted by: Pete ()
Date: October 10, 2018 09:46AM

Oh and I found some photos of the ARC site onlne if anyone is interested

https://imgur.com/a/vuxfh

Pete.

Posted by: Would-love-to-explore-here ()
Date: January 28, 2019 01:29PM

Re: Atlantic Research Corp - EdsallRoad
Posted by: Braider ()
Date: October 10, 2019 12:37AM

I worked in the lab in the Edsall Road location as a Senior Braider during the mid to late 80's. I wonder about the long-term health effects from exposure to materials at this facility. Reading posts about land and water contamination is quite frightening, to say the least.

Date: October 10, 2019 12:39AM

I worked in the lab at the Edsall Road location.

Date: October 10, 2019 12:53AM

I am sure I know you Leah

Date: October 10, 2019 12:55AM

Rich C Wrote:
> I worked at ARC from 1984 to 1990 as the Tomahawk
> program quality engineer – one of the best
> professional experiences of my career. The
> company (prior to Sequa takeover in the late 80s)
> was very employee oriented. We had a great team
> spirit. Have yet to see that anywhere else.
>
> ARC made solid propellant rocket motors under
> contract to the US government. It appears from
> the posts that the place really went downhill
> after 1990 and détente (the Berlin Wall coming
> down).
>
> Those who disparage the manufacturing of hazardous
> materials, rocket motor propellant in this case,
> should open their laptops and look at the lithium
> battery inside. Of course that is made in China
> where workers are expendable. Anyway, those
> Tomahawk rocket motors launched a lot of cruise
> missiles over the years. Probably saved a lot of
> our troops lives.

I Believe I know you Rich

Date: December 02, 2019 03:48AM

Rich is right. ARC was a great place to work. They promoted within. But once the stock went public and Sequa took over ARC was doomed.

Posted by: John Gilstrap ()
Date: February 19, 2020 01:04PM

I was the head of the Safety Department at ARC in the '80s, and it was the best job I ever had. Those were great years to be in the defense industry. Over the course of just a few years, the plant workforce grew from something like 700 employees to nearly 2,500. I've never seen a management team as committed to worker safety as the one led by Jim Sides, Paul Lumbye and the rest. Sadly, there were two fatalities on my watch--one involving an employee and another involving a contractor--but as horrifying as their deaths were, we took the lessons learned to heart.

Among my responsibilities was to oversee the burn pits. Back then (and maybe now, though I don't pay attention to those regulations anymore), energetic materials were prohibited hazardous wastes. The only legal way to dispose of them was to burn them. We waited for rainy days to keep the fire danger down, so during a dry summer, those pits could fill with thousands of pounds of energetic materials. After one particularly exciting burn, we changed the policy to do them weekly instead of waiting for the weather.

A lot of posts here concern the environmental issues at the Pine Ridge Plant. That was not my area of responsibility, but I attended many of those meetings. What I saw was a commitment from the very top of the company to handle hazardous materials and hazardous wastes exclusively by the book. From what I understand, the issues that ARC/Aerojet (or whoever owns them now) face today can be traced back to the era before 1976 and the promulgation of RCRA--the first big environmental protection law. Prior to that, there were no national standards for disposing of hazardous wastes, so for at least 15 years, waste chemicals were legally poured out onto the ground.

As a young safety engineer, there was no better training ground. I left in 1988 when it became clear the energetic operations would be moving to Camden, Arkansas. I spent enough time there as it was. There was no way I was going to live there.

Posted by: Explorer1976 ()
Date: April 07, 2020 01:36PM

It is with sadness that I report to this thread that the remainder of the old ARC site on Wellington Rd is being torn down. They've cleared most of the land and are in the process of asbestos remediation so they can knock down the buildings. I drove by there so many times, had always wished they'd left the gate open so I could drive through there or do a little urban exploration. Fairfax is so heavy-handed on that though, guess now I will never get the chance.

Anyone happen to have YouTube video of the insides of the place? Would love to see it.

Posted by: S.T. ()
Date: April 21, 2020 05:10PM

I don't know if many people are following this thread, but I just found it today and thought I'd add my reminiscences of ARC. My dad, Bill T. worked at the Edsel Rd. location from 1964 - 1988. He was the financial comptroller. They had a big retirement party for him which was typical of the warmth and appreciation among employees there. I worked at ARC during 2 summers while in high school. I worked in the publications department assisting the photographers and in the printshop. Of course I had no clearance to see anything to do with missile development, but I do know that the company also researched and developed electronic systems for civilian uses...like electronic transmission of medical data for doctors and hospitals.
Reading this thread I can understand the criticisms of a company that generated highly toxic contamination of soil and ground water over decades. Yes, I suppose the laws of the time may have been adhered to, but it is difficult to trust that defense since we have much history of corporations manufacturing everything from rocket fuel to fossil fuels to cigarettes that have known the destructive potential and kept it secret.
In those years before I left home I was a very left-wing, anti-war hippie. My dad and I were locked in a painful opposition politically and culturally. In his later years he came to have a more balanced view of things, as did I. It's still disturbing though to think of ARC contributing to weapons of such destruction, especially if it included cluster bombs. Someone wrote how important this was during Vietnam and the Cold War in protecting our troops. I get that, it's just sad. Just like permanent contamination of the land is very sad.
My dad was a very kind and friendly gentleman. He grew up in the Dust Bowl, served during WWII and then worked hard to support his family. ARC provided employees with a stock option and it is those funds that I eventually inherited and which support me now as a retiree...a certain irony in that. I know dad treasured his time at ARC and if anyone remembers him from there, he would have been sure to remember you, too.

Posted by: Explorer1976 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 03:21PM

Drove by the old ARC site again last night. Some buildings are still standing but most of the trees have been cleared around them. Won't be long now. Interestingly they were burning something near the back of the facility. Thick cloud of white smoke was coming up around 8pm on 4/28/2020. Wonder if they found something they couldn't otherwise dispose of?

Posted by: Nova1969native ()
Date: June 04, 2020 05:03AM

I worked there during that time frame. Originally in a small mixing building in the back, think maybe building 68 or 69 on day shift. Was put on night shift to work on retrofitting stinger rockets that I believe we returned from Turkey. I believe that was building 29 it was one of the bigger buildings and I remember across the parking lot was another building where work on tomahawks were done.
I don't remember my supervisors last name but Melvin was his first name and he had blazing red hair lol. There were two QC guys , an older short man that always wore a military lid and a younger dark haired man, they were both very nice. I think I worked there for 2-3 years. I very much enjoyed working at ARC it was a great company to work for.

Posted by: What's The Plan? ()
Date: November 28, 2020 11:11PM

The land is being cleared. What's the plan for it's future?

Posted by: PIP ()
Date: April 07, 2021 11:48AM

Mom worked at Wellington Road site for 5 years before retirement in 1987. She divorced our dad before then and he took a management job at Centerville Aamco car shop. Mom often talked about great staff parties before her passing and may have hooked up with some coworkers. Anyone have information on those ARC company get togethers?

Posted by: Bumpity Bump ()
Date: May 14, 2021 09:10PM

hoo hoo - ha ha

Posted by: PastRes ()
Date: June 09, 2021 12:20PM

Grew up nearby and left this area in 1995. Has the land been cleaned and made
available for residential development?

Creepy place for a long time with high security at the entrance.

Posted by: Manasty ()
Date: July 17, 2021 06:59PM

What's The Plan? Wrote:
> The land is being cleared. What's the plan for
> it's future?

Townhouses. Apartments. Used car lots. Strip Malls. Datacenters.

The usual shit that gets built in PWC.

Posted by: teleefoto ()
Date: July 29, 2021 12:33PM

Large lot smelled like diesel fuel for many years when driving by on Wellington around yr 2000.

Date: May 07, 2022 10:19AM

What has the great board of supervisors decided to do with this land parcel?

Posted by: pwc economic development ()
Date: May 08, 2022 05:34PM

Tee Wrote:
> What has the great board of supervisors decided to
> do with this land parcel?

A mixed-use development consisting of:

1)Data centers
2)Apartments
3)Used-car lots
4)Title loan/payday loan place

Posted by: Bob bitchin ()
Date: May 11, 2022 06:25AM

pwc economic development Wrote:
> Tee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What has the great board of supervisors decided
> to
> > do with this land parcel?
>
>
> A mixed-use development consisting of:
>
> 1)Data centers
> 2)Apartments
> 3)Used-car lots
> 4)Title loan/payday loan place

You forgot vape shops and used tire lots

Date: May 14, 2022 01:57PM

There are going to be homes sitting on that toxic soil?????

Date: May 29, 2022 06:13PM

Trying to remember which building was 60 ... Rocket Test?

Did NOT date married woman there

Posted by: Missed Information ()
Date: October 17, 2022 02:53PM

I wonder if the workers building on those lots right now know of the shit that is in the soil.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:18AM

Are they building homes or shopping centers? No homes should be built on or around the old Pine Ridge property. The developers could test the soil 20 feet down and it is contaminated!!

Date: July 18, 2023 07:11PM

nakedd truth Wrote:
> Xm 12 was a short range icbm fired from subs

Hmm, doesn't match with the bits I have. There was a cast ring that a bunch of parts seemed to fit well to, and it was only about 7" in diameter. I'm a little fuzzy on the designation, it might have been XM-11. IC means inter-continental. That kind of conflicts with short range.
Thanks,
Jon

Posted by: Kurt Laughlin ()
Date: October 17, 2023 10:19PM

I worked there (tooling engineer) from 1986 to 1989 before I left for graduate school. Two or three months after I left the Berlin Wall fell and I remember thinking I got out while the getting good.

ARC was a nice place to work and in hindsight after working elsewhere the people were good decent folks. The variety of things I worked on and the flexibility I had to do the job were really exceptional for an engineering job and provided a good basis for the rest of my career. (I'm retired now.)

The "XM-11" gizmo sounds like a SAFE-ARM or S&A device for a rocket or missile. The Army was the primary user of the XM or M model designators, with the Air Force a very distant second. The Navy, of course, could never use anything the Army used and had their own designation system, "Mark" or Mk. XM-11 means it is the eXperimental or prototype and test version of the Model 11 gizmo. That designation almost certainly applies just to the gizmo you have, not to the overall rocket, warhead, or missile it was attached to, so finding out what is was used on would take a good bit of research.

Posted by: Karl Marshall ()
Date: November 26, 2023 07:42PM

My dad worked at ARC in the 60s James Mcbryde Marshall he passed away from cerises of the liver in 1973 at the age of 40 is there any information you can give me in regards to the contamination at that plant in the 60s I remember he said they made rocket fuel for test rockets thank you; Karl Marshall

Posted by: TeeTay ()
Date: February 24, 2024 08:28PM

Karl Marshall Wrote:
> My dad worked at ARC in the 60s James Mcbryde
> Marshall he passed away from cerises of the liver
> in 1973 at the age of 40 is there any information
> you can give me in regards to the contamination at
> that plant in the 60s I remember he said they made
> rocket fuel for test rockets thank you; Karl
> Marshall

Does anyone remember Joe Copeland at Pine Ridge? Super nice guy--he and his wife raised Belgian Shepherds to show and sell. My roommate got one for free because of an undescended testicle. Ouch.

Posted by: Kayitko ()
Date: February 26, 2024 06:35AM

703-328-8324

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.