HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Arlington :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Arlington cool?
Posted by: alive ()
Date: April 15, 2005 10:47PM

I am considering moving to Arlington. Please tell me if it's a cool place and whether or not I should do this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Arlington cool?
Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: April 16, 2005 05:07PM

It sucks ass. Horrible traffic and ugly women.

Posted by: asnpcwiz ()
Date: April 18, 2005 02:21PM

Depends how old you are I'd say. For the single early to late 20's individual, it's a good place to mingle, meet people, and just plain have fun...tons of bars, restaurants, etc.

Posted by: David ()
Date: April 21, 2005 01:57AM

Arlington is teh r0x0r...

Actually, it's a very nice place to live though it does have bad neighborhoods in "South Arlington".

Posted by: M ()
Date: April 29, 2005 06:05PM

Arlington is a great home base for trips into DC. At least if you're in a nice part of it. Arlington's bars tend to suck unless its raining and nobody wants to go to DC.

(if you have a air-cooled VW, the best repair shop in the country is right on Wilson near Ballston)

Posted by: Mateo ()
Date: May 10, 2005 02:54PM

Arlington is the bomb-diggity. It's the hottest place to live in Northern Virginia with the possible exception of some parts of Alexandria.

It's an interesting progression from North Arlington to South Arlington, but I'm sure you can find a place you like somewhere in there.

Posted by: NOVA Guy ()
Date: May 17, 2005 02:22PM

Its the greatest. I live in Nauck and have no cpmplaints

Posted by: Dave ()
Date: August 17, 2005 07:50AM

Housing is high. Count Board sucks. Only looks out for their own interest, not the citizens. Continue to raise taxes EVERY YEAR. My RE taxes have gone from $1,900 a year to over $5,000 per year.

Posted by: KrazyDawg ()
Date: August 21, 2005 12:18AM

What makes Arlington special?

Posted by: Phat Daddy ()
Date: August 23, 2005 09:58PM

Yes, of course! What's wrong with you for even asking? Where I live we have the Crystal City Sports Pub and the Crystal City Restaurant. What more does anyone in his right mind need?

Posted by: Paul ()
Date: August 31, 2005 07:19PM

Arlington is not cool.

Posted by: scott ()
Date: October 18, 2005 01:18AM

Same thing everywhere you go. Everything has been the same for the 18 years i have lived here!!!!

Posted by: Elizabeth ()
Date: January 24, 2006 09:46AM

Yes, we like North Arlington a lot. There are tons of cyclists, and my husband starting cycling to work in DC like many other cyclists in the area. There are bike lanes everywhere to make your commute easier. He even commutes in winter(with special clothing gear of course). When he was commuting at least 1 hr one way in the outer suburbs, he had no time for exercise or family. Now, he has time for both, and it shows. He gets compliments all the time.

Our daughter started in North Arlington Co. schools 2 yrs ago, and has had quite a rude awakening after attending FF Co. schools for 7 years. The teachers here are much more attentive, and grades are stricter. Her grades went down due to the harder grading system, and she told us that she didn't blend in anymore - the teachers knew her, knew her name, and worked with her whenever her grades weren't up to par. In FF Co., she was in the top of her class - in Arlington Co., no way - their education system is very elite compared to FF Co. Arlington Co. schools also have large financial support from the large single population in the area that pays into the County budget.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: January 24, 2006 03:41PM

Does your daughter have A.D.D. like her mother?

Posted by: elizabeth ()
Date: January 25, 2006 07:17AM

That was a very immature and unkind remark to make, and it did not answer the question listed.

Posted by: James ()
Date: January 25, 2006 07:27AM

To Stinkypoo, grow up.

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: January 25, 2006 07:29AM

To stinkypoon: don't give up up there's life for fattys who sit in fron of their computers making ingnorant jokes.

Posted by: Johnny ()
Date: January 25, 2006 07:30AM

Stinkypoon, I think you may have ADD because you didn't put you comment in the Off Topic section - If you didn't have ADD, you would have known that.

Posted by: Maxx ()
Date: January 25, 2006 07:31AM

Thanks, Elizabeth for not stooping to Stinkypoon's level. We want to keep weirdos like him out!

Posted by: J.P. ()
Date: January 25, 2006 07:35AM

Stinkypoon, put you comment where it goes..............@@#@$#!!%$!!!.......in the Off-Topic section!

Posted by: Brad ()
Date: January 25, 2006 09:04AM

Hey stinkypoop, what's your mailing address......got something for ya.

Posted by: Jenny ()
Date: January 25, 2006 09:37AM

Stop these posts. Sinkypoop is not worth the effort.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 25, 2006 09:57AM

Yeah, but Elizabeth is.

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: January 25, 2006 10:51AM

Stinkypoop, Life is good. Get one.

Posted by: Jody ()
Date: January 25, 2006 12:39PM

Let's get back to the subject. Yes!!!!!!! Arlington is cool(no,Stinkypoop is not cool).

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: January 25, 2006 09:08PM

responding from the same IP 20 times does not make you cool.
yeah, you might half trick everyone else but you don't trick me.

feel free to use this forum for whatever, but don't be a douche

Question for Elizabeth on Fairfax Schools?
Posted by: Save America ()
Date: February 02, 2006 09:19AM

Elizabeth,

Enjoyed your evaluation of the two school systems. Where did your kids go to school in Fairfax?

Posted by: miz K ()
Date: May 11, 2006 03:29PM

I might be moving to Fairfax County (from Iowa) and am looking @ different places to live. My fiance is going to GMU. We wnat to live some place cool (artsy, culture, single life, nature, historical/non-suburban, etc) but cheap and within reasonably close distance to both DC and Fairfax. Is Arlington or Alexandria this place, what is interesting outside of DC proper? Any advice MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Please mention neighborhoods, places along the subway line, or other resources..

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 11, 2006 09:26PM

define cheap

you need to be very specific about all of this to get any reasonable advice.

Posted by: miss K ()
Date: May 15, 2006 06:54PM

specifically I want to live somewhere with a live musicscene that does not define culture as having a McDonald;s nearby
Is this possible in Virginia? (Or need I stay in D.C.?)

directed to miz K
Posted by: jason ()
Date: June 26, 2006 10:01PM

i dont think youd be happy in fairfax. fairfax city and fx county are great if youre a homeowner w/ children, but its sprawling, clogged, suburbia at its worst. frankly, i really dont like those places.

DC is probably too far if you need to be close to GMU for convenience.

Id suggest you live in the town of Vienna-- the business corridor is bustling, friendly, walkable, and has some independent restaurants and hang-outs, and it has Jammin' Javas, which may be what youre looking for. the drive to GMU is not far-- but it is usually SLOW. traffic between vienna and the southern end of fairfax city is exasperating.

like most of Northern VA, decent, clean, non-roach-infested digs are not cheap.
if you have a half-way decent job, and your husband has a part-time job, and you live within your means, you can do all right.

hope things work out for you-- northern va is awesome. good luck.

Date: June 27, 2006 02:44AM

vienna is a good suggestion based on that criteria

Posted by: kjgkhkjh ()
Date: July 02, 2006 10:45PM

calderon in arlington is the pce to go

Posted by: Arlingtonian ()
Date: August 15, 2006 02:45PM

Arlington is, by far, the coolest place to live in Northern VA. It's got great nightlife, cool restaurants, lots of natural scenery and, despite what some dickhead might say, the best looking women in the Commonwealth.
All that said, being a cool place in Northen Virginia is a little like being valedictorian in summer school, so it's all relative.

Date: August 16, 2006 08:45AM

An article recently in the washpost said that summer school is more often used by future valedictorians to get ahead... not as many fuck-ups using it to make up shit.

Posted by: ebear ()
Date: January 19, 2007 11:25AM

I'm 19 years old. I'm currently living in Arlington. I've lived in England, Italy, Korea, Japan, Fredericksburg VA and Gainesville FL. And I have to say.. as far as being a kid.. there is the same shit to do no matter where you live. :D

Date: January 23, 2007 12:59AM

Namely, smoke a lot of dope and have a lot of sex, or smoke a lot of dope and jerk off a lot.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 23, 2007 03:20PM

Arlington is like a pair of fake tits.

Posted by: Patrick ()
Date: June 21, 2007 01:27AM

Elizabeth shouldn't pay any attention to the immature response to her comments about Arlington. I have lived in Arlinton for 56 years, grew up here, went to Guntson and Wakefield in the '60s. The education was top notch. Considering the amazing growth in this county, I think the planners have done a pretty good job of accomodation along with preservation of all the wonderful parks and other recreational areas. I have two God children that have received some of the best special education available from Patrick Henry school. Even at 56 I still think Arlington is "cool", and who doesn't love a steak and cheese sub or slice of pizza from Mario's once in a while. :-D

Posted by: SomewhatContentArlingtoner ()
Date: August 11, 2008 01:17PM

Beautiful, vapid girls
Cute, sophisticated women
Bratty, burnt-out frat boys
Diligent, clever entrepeneurs
Materialistic, happy yuppies

Not a bad place to be, but I'd live in DC if I worked there. I commute to Reston, however.

Posted by: Leigh K. ()
Date: August 14, 2008 10:55AM

Having managed one of Arlington's best, and most popular restaurants(shirlington
area)I can say that Arlington is a cool place.

Posted by: RedBullBalls ()
Date: January 14, 2009 04:17AM

Arl. Co. is pretty chill if you know how to keep a low profile. Watch out though, they patrol around the courthouse heavily. Lots o bars and dumbass drivin' mofo's in that area. Do what you do, just don't do it in front of the man. If you are a hot, than naturally you will attract the heat. Just stay cool and keep it simple. Try to blend in with all the other yuppies and you will be ok.

Posted by: KILROY ()
Date: February 27, 2009 02:28PM

Damn, Ilive in orlando and ya brought the name of mario's. I sure wish they could deliver long distance.

Posted by: atown ()
Date: January 27, 2010 04:28AM

I grew up in North Arlington and went to college in Fredericksburg. Arlington is a great place to grow up and a blast in your 20s and 30s. It offers the excitement of D.C. with a little extra suburbia. And DC isn't far anyways. There are so many great places to eat and Tysons isnt far either. Arlington schools are a great place to raise a family too.

Mario's on Wilson Blvd is the BEST!

Posted by: Walter Reed ()
Date: January 28, 2010 08:48AM

Arlington is a great place to live. You've got access to so many places and there's a lot to do. There are bike paths everywhere and a number of really nice restaurants and bars, like Galaxy Hut. And don't let anyone tell you South Arlington isn't nice that's bullshit.

Posted by: wannaknow ()
Date: March 18, 2011 10:11PM

What's the high school Like?

Posted by: HowlerMonkey ()
Date: April 29, 2011 02:36AM

I lived at that house in the woods overlooking the east falls church metro station from across the sycamore street.

It was sweet spending 8 years in a huge house with 2.5 acres and a private path to the metro station with any major traffic artery nearby for easy access to the surrounding areas.

Arlington, like many places, requires you to research your chosen abode in order to secure the sweet spot.

Posted by: NOVA_Native ()
Date: June 06, 2011 10:59PM

Um no. I have always avoided it because it is confusing, full of insanely stupid pedestrians, and it's also a sanctuary county so you'll pay exhorbitantly high taxes so Pedro and Maria's 5 anchor babies can get all the social services YOU don't qualify for (but you pay for for them!). Clarendon is the "hot spot" supposedly, but when I went over there it was full of hipster douchebags and there's no parking. Everything is soooo expensive and not worth the inflated prices. I prefer Old Town to hang out in but I live in Alexandria and it's actually the best but I come from Fairfax County which is a revenue-grabbing police state so anything seems like a step up from that! Well, EXCEPT Arlington of course. It's crap and definitely not worth the money.

Posted by: Arlingtonkid ()
Date: June 12, 2011 09:07PM

It used to be nice before they started to cater to illegals, and redeveloped large sections of the County.

Posted by: Arlingtonlove ()
Date: August 19, 2011 10:58AM

North Arlington is really developing into a nice area with new places to eat & hang out. South Arlington has its ups and downs (Pentagon & Crystal City are nice but avoid Columbia Pike). Most individuals hate on North Arlington because they can't afford it...it is what it is.

Posted by: nlsmitty ()
Date: January 02, 2012 06:47PM

goodies is better than marios in my opinion.. wish they had a jumbo slice in arlington

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: January 02, 2012 10:07PM

Arlington is run by left-wing extremists, and is full of illegals. Want your hard-earned tax dollars being funneled to Javier and his 10 kids? Move to Arlington.

And, the city is full of self-important, BMW-driving yuppie faggots. Fuck Arlington.

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: February 06, 2012 01:50PM

Green Living Expo 2012 For Your Favorite HomeTown-- based on “Success Model”, Arlington, Virginia That is !

http://www.squidoo.com/green-living-expo-2012-for-your-favorite-hometown-based-on-success-model

Adopt a “Arlington, Virginia” Success Model & make a real difference for environment & also add value to local economy.

Since this has already been done, not only in Arlington, but I have seen few other communities in Texas for example, have adopted such a one day event and that has been value added for their respective community.

The non-profit organization who hosted this event Arlingtonians for Cleaner Environment (ACE) , is a long existing organization with a focus on “cleaner environment” for the county of Arlington, Virginia.

They have one full time Exectuvie Director and one part time staff. Everyone else is a volunteer for this organization. They do have a volunteer board consisting of local business people, and few other leaders in the community.

The one day expo featured some 25 to 30 local small businesses in the “energy conservation” space or “renewable energy”space, few county government agencies, and also a few others, such as non-profits who set up a booth in this one day event.

Avi Dey
Coordinator
Cafe Twin CTV "Battle of the Bands" Project
http://cafetwinctv.blogspot.com/

Our TWitter ID: @waldenthreenet
Attachments:
2011 GREEN LIVING EXPO ARLINGTON VA 02-03 SHORT BB 08.jpg

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: February 15, 2012 09:41PM

waldenthreenet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Green Living Expo 2012 For Your Favorite
> HomeTown-- based on “Success Model”,
> Arlington, Virginia That is !
>
> http://www.squidoo.com/green-living-expo-2012-for-
> your-favorite-hometown-based-on-success-model
>

Fuck you cheap bitch. Advertise your stupid shit somewhere else.

Posted by: I've banged at least one person that'll read this... ()
Date: April 20, 2012 04:43PM

There are definitely some quality whores in this town. I mean, not the kind you pay for either. All you have to do is listen to their stupid stories and their stupid career aspirations and then if they detect any money whatsoever, you'll have your thumb up their ass while spitting in their mouth by midnight. I'd suggest Front Page, Union Jack's as well as Whitlow's. These are good headwaters to start your trip down the river that is young sluts starting out life as "big girls" in Arlington, VA. Got some of dad's $ and a new place. Feed them lies and fuck them. Move on and repeat. It's been a good 6 years. In the end, I'm just glad I never got one of you cum-dumpsters pregnant.

Posted by: Sissy Phyliss ()
Date: April 21, 2012 04:47PM

You banged me, just the other night.

Enjoy your scabs.

Posted by: RayRay ()
Date: April 23, 2012 12:35AM

Gotta laugh at all of the talk of the outdoors and "green space" and Arlington in the same breath. Pretty much any "green space" left in Arlington is manufactured to fit in between the concrete. There are a few places but they are few and far between. The place is all small narrow roads with no parking that run all over with small 2 bdrm, 1 bath 50's era houses that are priced 5X what they would be any place else only because there's a Metro station. Yeah, they've cleaned up a few blocks around Clarendon and built some newer highrises with shopping, movies, and restaurants nearby for the faux urban hipster pretenders. The place is a crowded mess.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.